Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• IlIWarGIlIIlIWarGIlI XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217123Members
    multiplayer difficulties they mention is syncing one player with another. a bot doesnt need to sync constantly.
    IlIWarGIlI wrote: »
    you can go a full 7 days without eating in game. so time is scaled properly to "normal" but it is sped up like most games. so that theory is disproven. the sun rises at an interval of NORTHEAST to SOUTHEAST depending on season because it has an axis; IRL i mean. and yes i type many words on my xbox keyboard. id type faster on my phone. i type 80 words a minute with my thumb but 32 with both hands just to give you a good grasp of my dexterity in my left hand functioning like the kid with down syndrome. thats why i avoid games requiring advanced thumb stick control or trigger movement... god of war is hard enough on my ps3 but i do it for practice. anyway it seems the planet EITHER has a very VERY slow axis rotation or is locked in that axis position which if it was the case it wouldnt have a molten core or a way of fending off cosmic radiation which would kill you in minutes WITHOUT protection which is WHY space suits are still bulky IRL.

YOU'RE TYPING ON YOUR XBOX? That would take me like an hour to type all of that!

45 minutes... still i THINK about what i say then say it then think of counter statements then the counter to that and so on. im good at chess. a bit slow for it though.
    edited April 2018
    i smoke pot to stop the migraines... or at least reduce the frequency of them. still a bot or several of them would be much easier to get into the game than another person programming wise. the problem is the lore. cant have an aurora drop out of the sky on that tiny bit of ground and cant have random lifepods drop out of nowhere and litter everything either. thats why i said build a ship out of the wreckage to investigate the beam blowing up the auto piloted ship as it approaches upper atmo. from ANOTHER gun on ANOTHER outcrop of land. SOMEWHERE ELSE. lore solved. the simple things like that would have NEARLY UNLIMITED possibilities for improvement. so the whole "single gun enforces all quarantine planetwide" is not feasable nor probable. if it is a single celled organism it will not matter if the "cured" organism is attempting to leave because it went from "infected" to "unaffected carrier" or whatever else tries to leave organic or not still has that single celled contaminant.
    Now I'm using my phone.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Syncing is one of many difficulties, and I don't think many players would go for this idea. Moving on...

Sometimes in sci-fi there are things you just have to accept. A ship going light-speed. A gun that fires some sort of beam that can be bent around a planet. A small development team that cannot make this multiplayer.

(As I said before: in most forums, it is best to only post once, and let others reply before posting again. Use the edit button to add to your post if you forgot to mention something.)
    edited April 2018
    Its not multiplayer if it is a bot. It is not implausible for a moon to have more than one outcrop of land. It is not implausible to have more than one gun to enforce a planet wide quarantine. It is more implausible to concieve of the idea a being capable and willing to build guns and other facilities to enforce a quarantine and study a plague; and doesn't also think another creature could come destroy or disable the gun then try to land. And who would think that a single beam laser could enforce a planet wide quarantine if it has a button to turn it off and NOT build other guns ALSO with a button to turn them off but onsite ONLY. That would be effective quarantine.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Imo it just sounds cooler to have one gun that can bend around the planet and can't be destoryed.
    edited April 2018
    Cool. Not even close. Having a dozen or so criss cross the sky to destroy a rocket approaching the upper atmosphere? THAT is cool. And the scope of the adventure you'd embark upon to disable all of them? Massive amounts of improvements would become possible the bots would stay on the big ass giant ship you'd build FROM the scraps of the Aurora and repurpose the wreckage of the alterra ship into a rescue survival and exploration ship/barge thing the style of the ship would be entirely up to you the crafting blueprints would unlock upon the detection of those guns' energy signatures so you cannot just go gallivanting off to a place that simply does not exist yet. The bots WILL ONLY appear for 2 modes. Freedom and survival. They require story mode. And depending on those settings they would have needs same as yours they do certain things automatically. Like farming (basically utilizing the aquariums and planters and maintenance of power systems restocking things from scavenged materials etc. Etc.) They can accompany you but if you have certain things like rad suits rebreather oxygen tanks and what not they'd need all that too. The craft you build would have little versions of native biomes based on what you build. Fish farm. Vegetation areas. Power plants. Leviathan repellent systems are powerful... Do not get between it and a leviathan... It WILL follow primary directive PRESERVE CRAFT. A hangar bay/dock thing for cyclops seamoths atlas and whatever else they decide to place in-game. A bit like state of decay in first person without the zombies. Luxury items like observatories and chairs kinda become requirements for the bots. New modules would be introduced what exactly I don't really know. P. S. Anybody know where I can find that thing that distills water and salt in a habitat? I can't remember how or even where I found that before.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Yes, multiple guns could be cool, but the existing idea is cool too.

I don't get this continuation of the "bots" thing. If they are controlled by other players, that is by definition multiplayer, and won't happen. If they are controlled by AI they don't have much to do with this thread, and should intead be in the ideas forum. Either way, I don't think that would improve the game for me, and would prefer it like it is.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The game is suppose to be about being alone anyways. Everyone else died.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    The game is suppose to be about being alone anyways. Everyone else died.

Yeah, the game wouldn't have the same feel if it was "You are stranded alone on an alien planet...with 150 other people. (number of personnel on the Aurora)"
  • GeovoynGeovoyn Russia Join Date: 2018-05-20 Member: 240842Members
    Hmmm, very interesting but still too skeptical.
  • firelink24firelink24 Join Date: 2018-05-22 Member: 240859Members
    I agree that all people that bought it expecting multiplayer should get the refunds they deserve
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    edited May 2018
    firelink24 wrote: »
    I agree that all people that bought it expecting multiplayer should get the refunds they deserve

You realize that's the reason steam has a description for games?

And don't forget Steam Tags? How did you not know there wasn't multiplayer and you bought it?

Even then, as i've said on this thread a ton of times, Multiplayer mod exists and is being worked on.
  • TheBoss097TheBoss097 Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240313Members
    Though I am frustrated that there will be no multiplayer, I understand your reasons that years of delay would be a long time.

wbjy8i6lp4rn.png
    Was that giant empty space really needed?
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    wbjy8i6lp4rn.png
    Was that giant empty space really needed?

Of course it’s necessary.

• MelfiodasMelfiodas Join Date: 2018-06-14 Member: 241427Members
    Hey maybe you can hire A team who will Build coop for it (in capsule is 2 sits hehe) but it will be Able after conpleting A game First Time or it will be obtainable by console Code. For scary lonely experience (First Time because 2nd isnt scary too)
  • RobertKRobertK UK Join Date: 2018-08-13 Member: 242827Members
    AT LEAST ADD A MULTIPLAYER DLC Because now you have vr, people are going to want to play together. For the people who want it, add a dlc.
  • RobertKRobertK UK Join Date: 2018-08-13 Member: 242827Members
    Also, the lifepods had multiple people in them, according to the storyline.
  • JustAHatJustAHat Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240316Members
    RobertK wrote: »
    AT LEAST ADD A MULTIPLAYER DLC Because now you have vr, people are going to want to play together. For the people who want it, add a dlc.

they've already stated multiplayer is NOT going to be added
    JustAHat wrote: »
    RobertK wrote: »

they've already stated multiplayer is NOT going to be added

This, plus VR has been a part of Subnautica since long before this thread was created, not a recent addition( and the VR still needs work, too). @RobertK your best bet is the multiplayer mod which is expected to be released this December. This will be PC only( unless stated otherwise), as Xbox/PS4 have limitations on modding. Unfortunately, arguments such as "Fans want it" or "You will get more money" ignore the realities of game development.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    edited August 2018
    Below is a link to the Subnautica Modding Discord. They are attempting to push the multiplayer out by December. Least that's what I was told.

If you join, please do not beg for a release or anything like that.

Enjoy, and check out some of the great mods they made on the Nexus! Also be sure to check out the trailer for the Subnautica Multiplayer Mod, linked below.

Links:
    Modding Discord: https://discord.gg/UpWuWwq
    SMM Trailer: Unable to obtain atm, check back later.
    Nexus Mods Page: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica

Edit: I posted this mainly for the discord so people knew it was in development.
  • DaRealDaLagManDaRealDaLagMan Westerly Rhode Island Join Date: 2018-08-20 Member: 242954Members
    A lot of writing is in this chat
  • WolfssonWolfsson Join Date: 2018-09-20 Member: 243663Members
    I personally would like to add that while I understand you reasoning. I would prefer to do the multiplayer rework now so as not to have to do it AFTER new content is added and make even more work for when or if you ever do add it. For instance now you have added below zero update and would have to redo it if you add multiplayer. And as for the subnautica together idea... I would hope y'all keep in mind that that was unknown to the developers of dont starve together that it would go that way and took a huge risk. Add in the fact that doing so would will most likely cause people who don't know subnautica or like it to start with the complaints of copying their idea and or making the same game me twice. And before I get the hate Ik they will prob have different content but most. People.assume till the try it themselves.
    Wolfsson wrote: »
    I personally would like to add that while I understand you reasoning. I would prefer to do the multiplayer rework now so as not to have to do it AFTER new content is added and make even more work for when or if you ever do add it. For instance now you have added below zero update and would have to redo it if you add multiplayer. And as for the subnautica together idea... I would hope y'all keep in mind that that was unknown to the developers of dont starve together that it would go that way and took a huge risk. Add in the fact that doing so would will most likely cause people who don't know subnautica or like it to start with the complaints of copying their idea and or making the same game me twice. And before I get the hate Ik they will prob have different content but most. People.assume till the try it themselves.

they literally can't make multiplayer, its not that they don't want to, they wanted to when development started, but the game was not built for it, it can't be done
  • Cobey_PlasmaCobey_Plasma Join Date: 2018-09-30 Member: 243876Members
    You really should though! You could hire another company to help you! It would be like ARK: Survival Evolved. You could make a single-player mode and then slowly work on the multi-player mode because I don’t like being alone with such fearsome creatures! Add a chat in multi-player. By the way you’re going to have a lot of people like me... Do not make it paid! I beg you!
    You really should though! You could hire another company to help you! It would be like ARK: Survival Evolved. You could make a single-player mode and then slowly work on the multi-player mode because I don’t like being alone with such fearsome creatures! Add a chat in multi-player. By the way you’re going to have a lot of people like me... Do not make it paid! I beg you!

I don't think you understand, they literally can't add it, the way the game was built and coded does not allow it
  • McGalcriMcGalcri Spain Join Date: 2017-11-10 Member: 233921Members
    I don't think you understand, they literally can't add it, the way the game was built and coded does not allow it

That is not really true... already exist a Multiplayer Mod for subnautica (Work in Progress) allowing it, so the game code allow it perfectly. The main problem of multiplayer into a single player game is to syncronize all your actions with the others players and the history and the enviroment and the resources and inventories and, and, and... that is the problem hehe.
    McGalcri wrote: »

That is not really true... already exist a Multiplayer Mod for subnautica (Work in Progress) allowing it, so the game code allow it perfectly. The main problem of multiplayer into a single player game is to syncronize all your actions with the others players and the history and the enviroment and the resources and inventories and, and, and... that is the problem hehe.

The games code does not "allow it perfectly", the mod is a bad example, its not exactly stable, and if the devs wanted to add multiplayer they would have to rebuild the game from scratch, so the code could allow proper multiplayer. Using the mod as an example of how "it can be done" is severely flawed.