Time capsules: Useful leg up or OP Pieces of Garbage?

kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
Do you guys think having ion powercells is too OP in time capsules? Do you think it's ok? please respond

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    I've only ever found 1 time capsule. It contained 2 posters. I'm fine with people putting what they want in them, but if they don't put useful stuff in them, the devs really need to seed them more around the world.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I voted that they aren't needed, but I'm only referring to the items part.
    The pics and text are cool.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    It's April
    and I still haven't found one time capsule because of my luck

but yeah, only pre lost river stuff should be in it. When the game first came out there was a time capsule that had a picture of the
    gun shooting down the sunbeam
    and it got enough upvotes to be in the game. Other time capsules end up with other spoiler stuff as well.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I heard they randomly spawn in fourty of these things? I've found two throughout mah playthrough
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I've shared my opinion before.

Time capsules should only allow basic things, like basic materials, aurora props (like the miniature aurora), and other small items. Tools should be limited to the scanner, knife, and flashlight as you get them in legit ten minutes.
  • JustAHatJustAHat Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240316Members
    why do they exist again
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    I voted that they aren't needed, but I'm only referring to the items part.
    The pics and text are cool.

I actually can agree with that. Fun little data entries are cool to have, but op items? Nah.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    I've only ever found 1 time capsule. It contained the Aurora model and 4 Ion Batteries. The batteries bothered me a little bit since I was just starting my 2nd, larger base in Grand Reef. Didn't even find an orange tablet yet by that point.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    My opinion doesn't really fall under any of the choices. I think that getting stuff out of time capsules ends up being redundant. Getting some ion batteries is convenient but not game-breaking. Getting kyanite isn't that bad because it takes a while before you can do anything with it, and you often need other stuff like nickle and sulfur, and you can't put enough of all of those into a capsule to make it useful right away.

I've found five capsules in my game so far, but they were in places that were hard to reach, so the things I got like the knife, repair tool and stasis rifle were all redundant by that point. You'd have to find one with exactly the right materials/tools right when you need it in order for it to be useful.

I do like the pictures and stories, though, those are fun.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2018
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Do you guys think having ion powercells is too OP in time capsules? Do you think it's ok? please respond

@kingkuma I think there should be a toggle in options to turn them off (default on). Maybe even a selector for text and images allowed only (capsule inventory can't be emptied), non-spoilery capsules only, anything goes, etc etc (default non-spoilery).
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    They're immersion-breaking. Never liked the idea, and implementation hasn't changed my mind. Just my personal opinion, of course.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    They're immersion-breaking.

Agreed on that. Hmm. Any way to make it so they're not available on first run of Survival / Freedom, and not available for Hardcore? Maybe in a config file synced with Steam / XB Live?