Coop or multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

Comments

• IlIWarGIlIIlIWarGIlI XBOX ONE Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217123Members
    edited April 2018
    the reason its stupid to have only one gun is very very simple. whether or not the beam can bend is irrelevant. if an army today has one gun with an infinite number of bullets for it and nothing can stop those bullets how long until it jams? or needs a new part? or needs any number of replacements for ANY moving part or any wire or cable or tube to exchange any parts that have degraded or until the enemies rush it faster than it can fire or some way to defend against it? and as you said there are no known ways of self repair so it was either designed to DESTROY the planet when it stops working which wouldve happened the moment you shut it down or it was built by someone or something completely LACKING in forethought and dumb as a brick for a being possessed of knowledge to build something like a giant space beam. and if you built a ship there should be an option to test it. if you follow my logic youd send it up on an automated path with a prerecorded message to broadcast warnings about the containment system only to be shot down BEFORE it leaves atmosphere by ANOTHER giant beam from somewhere else and THEN you get blueprint automatically dropped in by the pad to use the wreckage of the aurora to build i dont know a vessel to travel in the direction of the beams origin and a scanner type of thing to assess and locate energy similar to the gun you already turned off. the reason for that is the planet is PROVEN inescapable and bearing further study by on site alterra personnel. sound good? the bots i mentioned ealier would be survivors of OTHER ships that also got shot down for getting too close to the planet. as it seems you werent the ONLY one from the aurora just the only one left. so seeing as how escape is not an option the tablet you have would say something like what i said earlier and upon completion of the coms system would say locating fellow survivors is required for continued mental health and continuation of the species or something along those lines with an added this world will now be your home build and grow but most importantly survive and study for those who come after. is this a sufficient explanation of my thoughts? i literally cannot be more specific if you still dont understand this you need to read books centered around emergency high priority quarantine procedures which i read and memorized most of because i suffered through my complete boredom and ACTUAL pain to read it and understand it and NEVER want to read it AGAIN unless i NEED TO TO LIVE.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    IlIWarGIlI wrote: »
    the reason its stupid to have only one gun is very very simple. whether or not the beam can bend is irrelevant. if an army today has one gun with an infinite number of bullets for it and nothing can stop those bullets how long until it jams? or needs a new part? or needs any number of replacements for ANY moving part or any wire or cable or tube to exchange any parts that have degraded or until the enemies rush it faster than it can fire or some way to defend against it? and as you said there are no known ways of self repair so it was either designed to DESTROY the planet when it stops working which wouldve happened the moment you shut it down or it was built by someone or something completely LACKING in forethought and dumb as a brick for a being possessed of knowledge to build something like a giant space beam. and if you built a ship there should be an option to test it. if you follow my logic youd send it up on an automated path with a prerecorded message to broadcast warnings about the containment system only to be shot down BEFORE it leaves atmosphere by ANOTHER giant beam from somewhere else and THEN you get blueprint automatically dropped in by the pad to use the wreckage of the aurora to build i dont know a vessel to travel in the direction of the beams origin and a scanner type of thing to assess and locate energy similar to the gun you already turned off. the reason for that is the planet is PROVEN inescapable and bearing further study by on site alterra personnel. sound good? the bots i mentioned ealier would be survivors of OTHER ships that also got shot down for getting too close to the planet. as it seems you werent the ONLY one from the aurora just the only one left. so seeing as how escape is not an option the tablet you have would say something like what i said earlier and upon completion of the coms system would say locating fellow survivors is required for continued mental health and continuation of the species or something along those lines with an added this world will now be your home build and grow but most importantly survive and study for those who come after. is this a sufficient explanation of my thoughts?

So, from what I'm getting at, you think there are more guns.

Well, in your example, you explain it as a regular gun with infinite bullets.

The only problem with your analogy:

The gun is invulnerable to all known damage and is powered by infinite ion energy.

Having one gun at that magnitude is like having a beam of tsar bombs. It decimates what it contacts, can bend around the world, and is completely indestructible to all damage. Why would you really need another one, if yours could destroy all of life on ship and not face any bad consequences? It's like comparing a c4 explosion to a supernova. They're drastically more powerful, but are the same idea.
    and every person in the cdc would probably already know if someone threatens to escape containment with a highly infectious and previously unknown disease terminate subject immediately and study the fresh cadaver
    the reason its stupid to have only one gun is very very simple. whether or not the beam can bend is irrelevant. if an army today has one gun with an infinite number of bullets for it and nothing can stop those bullets how long until it jams? or needs a new part? or needs any number of replacements for ANY moving part or any wire or cable or tube to exchange any parts that have degraded or until the enemies rush it faster than it can fire or some way to defend against it? and as you said there are no known ways of self repair so it was either designed to DESTROY the planet when it stops working which wouldve happened the moment you shut it down or it was built by someone or something completely LACKING in forethought and dumb as a brick for a being possessed of knowledge to build something like a giant space beam. and if you built a ship there should be an option to test it. if you follow my logic youd send it up on an automated path with a prerecorded message to broadcast warnings about the containment system only to be shot down BEFORE it leaves atmosphere by ANOTHER giant beam from somewhere else and THEN you get blueprint automatically dropped in by the pad to use the wreckage of the aurora to build i dont know a vessel to travel in the direction of the beams origin and a scanner type of thing to assess and locate energy similar to the gun you already turned off. the reason for that is the planet is PROVEN inescapable and bearing further study by on site alterra personnel. sound good? the bots i mentioned ealier would be survivors of OTHER ships that also got shot down for getting too close to the planet. as it seems you werent the ONLY one from the aurora just the only one left. so seeing as how escape is not an option the tablet you have would say something like what i said earlier and upon completion of the coms system would say locating fellow survivors is required for continued mental health and continuation of the species or something along those lines with an added this world will now be your home build and grow but most importantly survive and study for those who come after. is this a sufficient explanation of my thoughts?

So, from what I'm getting at, you think there are more guns.

Well, in your example, you explain it as a regular gun with infinite bullets.

The only problem with your analogy:

The gun is invulnerable to all known damage and is powered by infinite ion energy.

Having one gun at that magnitude is like having a beam of tsar bombs. It decimates what it contacts, can bend around the world, and is completely indestructible to all damage. Why would you really need another one, if yours could destroy all of life on ship and not face any bad consequences? It's like comparing a c4 explosion to a supernova. They're drastically more powerful, but are the same idea.

well it rotates then aims directly at sunbeam so it has moving parts. the aurora was also shot down and you and several others survived you just out lived them. so the entire DESTROY ALL OF LIFE ON SHIP is already disproven. all known damage yes but the glowing tablet/key things can break. and they seemed to be like the structure so "indestructible"? i think not which means it degrades... which means it WILL need new parts eventually. did you even READ THE WHOLE THING or just that little nugget of wisdom?
    and NEVER take what i say out of context. every single word until the period is connected even some of the sentences. now read VERY carefully. i am VERY thoughtful so if i type things i already thought of counter responses to MY own words.
    NOTHING outlasts time except time itself.
    edited April 2018
    a beam of light that powerful would ignite the atmosphere it passes through by the way. ergo the planet would turn into a ball of fire and rock. so it would die the second it fires. if it was a beam of radiation it would kill living things and fry circuitry like butter on molten lava. but on a small ship with shields to overload and a low powered generator it would cause a chain reaction causing the ship to blow itself up. the aurora was a massive ship with minimal shielding and lots of armor so the shields would fail and the shield generator would burn up the generator would rupture and it would crash but the amount of hull it has would hold it together long enough some or most of it would make it to the planet. the sunbeam was much smaller. things as armored as the aurora like a MINING or WARSHIP would probably hold together long enough to actually crash.
    or sufficient power core plating to withstand a beam of that magnitude more or less in serious need of repair before ultimately rupturing completely and melting down.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    There's also the chance that the only near-surface landmass is the Caldera we're on, making multiple guns useless as all ships have to come at least somewhere close to the land to...land.

And, no, the GUN didn't destroy all life, but if it were to work with 100% precision and efficiency, well, that would be a very short and boring game. So, for all intents and purposes, the GUN did is job perfectly. And even then, the GUN's job isn't to kill all life, but rather to keep people from coming and going to spread disease. Which it does for however many millenia 4546b has been in quarantine. And it would've continued its spotless record of it wasn't for Ryley's stupid, "will to survive".

And who's to say the beam is heat, or radiation? I would say the highest likelihood of the beam's components would be accelerated particles, or possibly even light. This is advanced alien tech after all, human science from IRL time period doesn't necessarily apply in this case.

And finally, slow down it with the 20 comments in a row. Don't worry, you have space to type everything you want to say in one comment.
    "bending" a beam made of light or any beam for that matter isnt feasible without a blackhole nearby otherwise NOTHING can alter a beams trajectory without refracting the light with a mirror or a VERY strong reflective surface. but if it is a particle beam "bending" it will not be possible WITHOUT a blackhole. and its a planet so it IS round and if they want to make the game bigger theyll need to add other "caldera" am i using that right? anyway as seen by following the lifepod 19 officer keenan things there are massive floating islands. so where are the others? i would assume elsewhere on the water world. this IS a planet yet you cant go in one direction and circle it? is it a disk? if so how and why is there the required gravity to hold water let alone air above it? dont say "it has gravity because of its moon" we have a moon it has 1/3rd of our planets mass and gravity but it doesnt have atmosphere.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited April 2018
    Look we don't know why the laser bends. It is just stated in game it can bend. All we know is that the gravity of the planet can bend the beam if needed. So most likely the beam is an unkown type if beam that can bend easily. Also the gun has been there for a 1000 years. So obviously it is very strong metal. Also the thermal and PCF have mini robot droids that repair the bases. So it is possible that of the gun gets damaged, these robots would end up going to the gun somehow.
  • JustAHatJustAHat Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240316Members
    Also for all we know it might be possible to bend light, human science just hasn't gotten there yet
    no we figured what COULD bend light and what can slow it down but we cannot produce it on large scales. light WILL NOT bend unless it is affected by gravity of immense scale which if even produced NEAR PLUTO would destroy our sun and every planet and asteroid in our solar system. what slows light to approximately the speed of a bicycle is water so cold it defies logic and becomes a solid liquid. i remember watching an episode of NOVA science on PBS when i was little where they ran a laser through a bose something but it distorted the solid particles of frozen water to such a degree it lost the ability to cohesively exist as a solid and liquified again then dripped THROUGH the glass test tube BEFORE shattering it. then recreated it with magnetic fields and lasers with high speed cameras watching and were completely baffled they watched a beam of light SLOW down before shooting out the other side disrupting the test again with it setting something on fire. so it probably wouldn't be light it fires but something else. energy most likely. oh and the light we get from our sun was created approximately 10 thousand years ago give or take a few minutes to travel the distance from the sun to us. the sun is a giant ball of plasma constantly going through cold fusion with the explosive power of billions of atom bombs detonating ever quarter second from its size but its own mass and density keeps it from expanding so the particles fusing are so close together light is basically jon snow in the battle of the bastards.
    edited April 2018
    BOSE-EINSTEIN CONDENSATE!!!! thats what slows light... that and blackholes. knew id remember it. very odd name.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The gravity bends the laser so because of that the laser clearly isn't made of light and is made up of an unkown type of energy that can bend easier. Case closed
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I theorize the laser is made of both ion energy and ion chunks. The chunks of broken ion crystals attract the Ion Energy inside the beam, and the Ion Cube Chunks mass brings the energy down with it. The only challenge the gun has is to channel those chunks and launch them with enough force calculated to fire upon a ship.

How's that? Good idea or nah?
    It sounds reasonable but it is stated in game that gravity bends the laser. So the theory falls apart
    It sounds reasonable but it is stated in game that gravity bends the laser. So the theory falls apart

How does that shatter my theory? I was suggesting that exactly combined with my idea.
    Idk, I don't really see how it works with gravity
    Idk, I don't really see how it works with gravity

The physical chunks are affected by gravity and pulled down, taking the Ion Energy surrounding them with it.
    edited April 2018
    I theorize the laser is made of both ion energy and ion chunks. The chunks of broken ion crystals attract the Ion Energy inside the beam, and the Ion Cube Chunks mass brings the energy down with it. The only challenge the gun has is to channel those chunks and launch them with enough force calculated to fire upon a ship.

How's that? Good idea or nah?

quite possible. but probably just Radioactive material instead of ions. lightening forms in space with different ion polarity so if it was ions there would be lightening. we do have place holders on the periodic table of elements. we are certain those specific element exist but as yet have not found or created them in which to properly categorize them. thats why when you look at the periodic table of elements theres at least 2 spots with just the numbers at the top.
    lightening forms as a corridor between positive and negative ions swapping the polarity until there are a balanced number of both on either side of that corridor. that is the simplest explanation i can think of for that. as a result of lightening forming, a vacuum forms around the lightening itself, then as the lightening dissipates as quickly as it forms the air which was pushed aside quickly returns to the area and creates a very loud sound we know as a thunder clap.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Several comments. First, you guys type WAY too much. Like, how do you type all of this? The beginning thread had 468 words in it! (I didn't count, i used a website.) Second of all, when you think about it, a day in this game is 20 minutes. That in itself raises questions. Perhaps, the gravity and time scales on planet 4546B are different, possibly because of the size of the sun, its distance away from the sun, the two moons that orbit the planet, and the fact that the planet may rotate on a 97 degree tilt, which might explain why the sun rises in the North-East and sets in the South-West. Also, ITS A VIDEO GAME. Not everything is supposed to make sense. Besides, what if this entire world is in a different universe, with different time, light, gravity, and physics parameters? Just saying.
    Several comments. First, you guys type WAY too much. Like, how do you type all of this? The beginning thread had 468 words in it! (I didn't count, i used a website.) Second of all, when you think about it, a day in this game is 20 minutes. That in itself raises questions. Perhaps, the gravity and time scales on planet 4546B are different, possibly because of the size of the sun, its distance away from the sun, the two moons that orbit the planet, and the fact that the planet may rotate on a 97 degree tilt, which might explain why the sun rises in the North-East and sets in the South-West. Also, ITS A VIDEO GAME. Not everything is supposed to make sense. Besides, what if this entire world is in a different universe, with different time, light, gravity, and physics parameters? Just saying.

1) We don't type too much. We just discuss what we discuss.
    2) Would you rather have full, 24 hour days in game?
    3) Things in games are better if they make sense. We're analyzing it to find the devs logic. They tend to have actually physics, because that's how the devs are. They use logic from the real world a lot. As subnautica fans, we want to understand the main way the game works.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members

1) We don't type too much. We just discuss what we discuss.
    2) Would you rather have full, 24 hour days in game?
    3) Things in games are better if they make sense. We're analyzing it to find the devs logic. They tend to have actually physics, because that's how the devs are. They use logic from the real world a lot. As subnautica fans, we want to understand the main way the game works.
    Yeah, ok. I just started laughing after I first clicked this page, seeing all this text. (And yes, actually waiting 48 hours for the sunbeam would be a nightmare. I might have to make a discussion about this on the forum.)
    BTW, why is this called "COOP OR MULTIPLAYER IN SUBNAUTICA? I'M AFRAID NOT."? Is that how this chain started? How did it evolve into the realities of the GUN?
    edited April 2018
    you can go a full 7 days without eating in game. so time is scaled properly to "normal" but it is sped up like most games. so that theory is disproven. the sun rises at an interval of NORTHEAST to SOUTHEAST depending on season because it has an axis; IRL i mean. and yes i type many words on my xbox keyboard. id type faster on my phone. i type 80 words a minute with my thumb but 32 with both hands just to give you a good grasp of my dexterity in my left hand functioning like the kid with down syndrome. thats why i avoid games requiring advanced thumb stick control or trigger movement... god of war is hard enough on my ps3 but i do it for practice. anyway it seems the planet EITHER has a very VERY slow axis rotation or is locked in that axis position which if it was the case it wouldnt have a molten core or a way of fending off cosmic radiation which would kill you in minutes WITHOUT protection which is WHY space suits are still bulky IRL.
    you can go a full 7 days without eating in game. so time is scaled properly to "normal" but it is sped up like most games. so that theory is disproven. the sun rises at an interval of NORTHEAST to SOUTHEAST depending on season because it has an axis; IRL i mean. and yes i type many words on my xbox keyboard. id type faster on my phone. i type 80 words a minute with my thumb but 32 with both hands just to give you a good grasp of my dexterity in my left hand functioning like the kid with down syndrome. thats why i avoid games requiring advanced thumb stick control or trigger movement... god of war is hard enough on my ps3 but i do it for practice. anyway it seems the planet EITHER has a very VERY slow axis rotation or is locked in that axis position which if it was the case it wouldnt have a molten core or a way of fending off cosmic radiation which would kill you in minutes WITHOUT protection which is WHY space suits are still bulky IRL.

YOU'RE TYPING ON YOUR XBOX? That would take me like an hour to type all of that!
    edited April 2018
    I thought I saw everything after I saw an advertisement saying carshow at a church. But typing that fast on Xbox. . .
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited April 2018
    We have to remember that sci-fi is a mixture of valid science and fiction. They take something outlandish, say it's possible, and maybe give us a vague idea how.

@IlIWarGIlI generally, forum etiquette is to only do one post at a time, and not post again until others have posted. Sometimes they may accept "bumping" your own thread, to bring back discussion. It is also best to separate long posts into paragraphs for easier reading. (Capitalization of the first letter in each sentence helps too.)

Lastly, I agree that this has little to do with multiplayer, and therefore recommend further discussion be in a new thread. (I'm guessing IlIWarGIlI was suggesting they do multiplayer by having robots? I don't get it, and that ignores what the developers have said about the difficulties of getting multiplayer to work.)