Subnautica Update 85 Released - Subnautica

Comments

• stephar80stephar80 Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240310Members
    Can't load my world on Xbox one, I need to know what to do ( Header checksum illegal )
    Please help
    It will load every other world but mine
  • GreasyGrishamGreasyGrisham Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240312Members
    Could you fix the stuttering issue? The game stutters terribly all of the time if you are moving along quickly in any of the vehicles.
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    "Fixed exiting vehicles while in ESC menu" Finally <3
  • Stoshu1Stoshu1 Join Date: 2018-03-30 Member: 239635Members
    ok it worked my game is fixed
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    stephar80 wrote: »
    Can't load my world on Xbox one, I need to know what to do ( Header checksum illegal )
    Please help

I posted about the probable cause on another thread. Check it out.
    Could you fix the stuttering issue? The game stutters terribly all of the time if you are moving along quickly in any of the vehicles.

If your on console, it may be an issue with the game. But, even on console, Stuttering is because of hardware limitations.
  • DerloxyDerloxy Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240332Members
    Hello creators, I observed a tiny bug, when you hold the key to run and have entered the prone (robot) can not go out or use the grappling hook, it has already been solved in the update, here is :)
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Derloxy wrote: »
    Hello creators, I observed a tiny bug, when you hold the key to run and have entered the prone (robot) can not go out or use the grappling hook, it has already been solved in the update, here is :)

There's no prone for any of the suits. What are you talking about?

Also why report a bug that's been patched?
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    edited April 2018
    No UPDATE #85 available on Steam as of this post. (Sacramento Ca. Region)

The last entry in my update history as of this post is version #84 released back on the 8th of March. But the game is now displaying the Update 85 announcement graphic on the main window when I launch the game now.

VERY confused at the moment. What am I missing here? Did the update get pulled recently despite the statement here that it was made available on Steam several days ago?
  • Hyrulehero101Hyrulehero101 South carolina Join Date: 2017-09-16 Member: 233095Members
    Hey guys I know this is the computers place but on Xbox one sometimes when I would look around I would get these square black patches on the screen and grows until it blacked the screen so you can't see as well as different color shades
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members

Derloxy wrote: »
    e]

If your on console, it may be an issue with the game. But, even on console, Stuttering is because of hardware limitations.

I'm on a VERY high end gaming PC and I am still getting occasional hiccups/stutters/whatever you want to call it. A notable drop in frame rate and frame time by as much as 20fps at times.

Doesn't seem to matter which resolution I am running at either. Be it my preferred Native 4k of 3840x2160 or a much less stressful resolution for my hardware like basic 1080p, it doesn't seem to matter. I get these strange/random hiccups at both resolutions.

Primary hardware:

EVGA 1080ti FTW3 overclocked to 2070mhz boost clock and 5805Mhz Memory Clock.

My CPU is a DeLidded i7-7700k running at a stable 5Ghz.

Not too many gamers out there with this level of computing horsepower, so the fact that I am still experiencing stuttering issues would put the blame not on the hardware, but on the game's engine and other aspects of its codebase.

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @Goldengoose7 I get stuttering sometimes on my PC, but not often and not very badly. Mine is a Dell Precision T3400 and it is Quite Old. I'm running a 1050Ti in it and for the most part, it works just fine for games like Subnautica or Overwatch.

Not sure why your much more powerful machine is having this problem. If you haven't already, maybe try uninstalling the game and removing all the files it leaves behind before reinstalling? The only other thing I can think of is that Subnautica's engine isn't playing nice with all your overclocked settings. I don't know why that would be a factor, but it is the unusual variable in your situation.
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions. The overclocks shouldn't matter and if anything reduce any chance of performance related frame rate issues. This same rig runs more demanding games like No Man's Sky, GTA5 and Elite Dangerous like butter at the same Native 4k resolution with all settings at ULTRA. A more or less locked 60fps which is my max because I am running out to a 60Hz display.

Since you seem to know this game pretty well, let me ask you a question I have been wondering about...

Is it normal for the GPU use percentage to be 100% when sitting at the main menu? Seems like an excessive demand on my 1080ti for what is being displayed. I rarely see 100% GPU useage even on my most demanding games at high demand areas of that game. Seeing it on a basic main title screen/menu strikes me as a serious oversight on the part of the developers of Subnautica and could be related to more serious optimization issues which would definitely cause stuttering and fps drops.

If I do an uninstall and reinstall, I assume all I need to save is the AppData folder with my save file and settings inside?

I definitely don't want to loose any progress.

I had been considering doing that for another reason, and that is I am unable to update my game to the latest version # 85. For whatever reason Steam client thinks version 84 is the latest version available. It has never attempted to download any update called 85. My update history shows version 84 on March 8th as the last update available.

I am currently running the BETA version labeled "experimental" on my Steam Client's game list after giving up with trying to get the Steam Client to download the 85 update.

@Goldengoose7 What are you using to monitor your GPU? I haven't run anything like that in a while, but I'll install it if I can and test the menu screen. I'm curious about it now, at the very least.

From what you're saying, though, it does sound like something is wrong with your install. I saw someone else reporting that they couldn't seem to get Update 85, either, but I don't remember if the solution was something besides reinstalling.

Your saved games can be found here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames

Keep in mind that it's often best to start a new game in these instances, at least for testing purposes.
  • Nick_MikadoNick_Mikado Join Date: 2018-04-27 Member: 240375Members
    Good work Keep it comin.

LOve the game but It does not load after update 85. it sits at the startup screen saying "loading but it never does.
  • cmdf08cmdf08 Join Date: 2018-04-28 Member: 240379Members
    Please try to fix the cyclops interface in VR next! I was hoping to do a VR playthrough but couldn't because the cyclops control hitboxes are wrong. I also experienced strange bugs in VR where loading vehicles into the cyclops sometimes caused it to go flying. Subnautica is one of my new favourite games, but I can't give it a positive steam review while the advertised VR mode is unplayable... :(
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    @Goldengoose7 What are you using to monitor your GPU? I haven't run anything like that in a while, but I'll install it if I can and test the menu screen. I'm curious about it now, at the very least.

From what you're saying, though, it does sound like something is wrong with your install. I saw someone else reporting that they couldn't seem to get Update 85, either, but I don't remember if the solution was something besides reinstalling.

Your saved games can be found here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames

Keep in mind that it's often best to start a new game in these instances, at least for testing purposes.

Thanks for the additional info. :)

I did locate that folder and created a backup on another drive, so I can drop a new version into that archive location before each new session.

In terms of monitoring game performance in real time...

I just use the EVGA Precision X OSD to monitor all my various GPU and CPU performance numbers. The in-game option hasn't been optimized for a Native 4k display so it displays as a microscopic postage stamp sized block of unreadable text in the top left corner of the screen.

The more I play the game, the more it is becoming obvious that Subnautica doesn't really provide TRUE Native 4k support. The in-game OSD is one clear sign of this, in addition to very little in the way of improvement in the graphics quality when switching between 3840x2160 and 1920x1080. Aside from the considerable increase in GPU and CPU demand.

I have since dropped my resolution down to 1080p and the game is now running at a locked 60fps 99% of the time. Aside from not being able to get the 85 update, I am not sure if a reinstall would actually do anything to help here.

It just appears that the game currently does not fully support Native 4k and as a result, the game isn't properly optimized for that resolution. Getting 100% GPU demand on the opening title screen is a glaring example of an unoptimized resolution.

Is there ever going to be a online Multiplayer world for subnuatica?
    Please help

Hardware limitations? I can run Far Cry 5 on Ultra settings in 1080p with a smooth 60 fps. I don't have the best setup, but my machine should be more than capable of running Subnautica without the stuttering.
    Please help

Hardware limitations? I can run Far Cry 5 on Ultra settings in 1080p with a smooth 60 fps. I don't have the best setup, but my machine should be more than capable of running Subnautica without the stuttering.

While you can run far cry, subnautica has so much happening in the background that it stutters no matter what. The only difference is it's better to mask on better consoles or computer
    @Stoshu1 There's been a lot of talk about this, but the devs have definitively stated several times that the game was not built with that in mind. It was never part of their plan and the game would have to be drastically restructured in order to put multiplayer in.

So yeah, sorry, no multiplayer.

@Goldengoose7 That's interesting about the 4k support and how it affects the GPU. Glad to hear it's running better in 1080p, though.
    Please help

While you can run far cry, subnautica has so much happening in the background that it stutters no matter what. The only difference is it's better to mask on better consoles or computer

Is there a way to better optimize the game? I have heard of people with more powerful machines than I have that still run into this issue. I actually returned the game on Steam because of this problem. If the issue is resolved, I plan to buy the game again. The stuttering has made it unplayable for me.
  • Mercenario_brMercenario_br Brasil Join Date: 2018-04-30 Member: 240442Members
    BEAUTIFUL GAME! I WOULD LIKE UPDATING NEW BIOMES AND BIODIVERSITIES NEXT TO THE GAME, AND HAD THE MACHINE CREATED FOOD HAS ALREADY CREATED WATER, AND TO IMPLEMENT STILL MORE DIVERSE DIVISION THE PLATFORM HAS TO BE DIVIDED IN PEDACOS IN A NEW BIOMA.
    Please help

Is there a way to better optimize the game? I have heard of people with more powerful machines than I have that still run into this issue. I actually returned the game on Steam because of this problem. If the issue is resolved, I plan to buy the game again. The stuttering has made it unplayable for me.

It doesn't stutter that much, not even on my five year old PC, as far as I can tell. I have max settings on, and it works fine. If your experiencing problems, check you cpu, graphics card, vram, and ram.
    Stoshu1 wrote: »

As I have said many times before, just a slight google search would show this stickied thread right at the top of the general forums page: Coop or Multiplayer in Subnautica? I'm afraid not.

If you want to help with the mod's development, go to the modding discord and assist with development.
    Please help

It doesn't stutter that much, not even on my five year old PC, as far as I can tell. I have max settings on, and it works fine. If your experiencing problems, check you cpu, graphics card, vram, and ram.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your specs?
  • hugo46hugo46 Spain Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240449Members
    Would there be any possibility to change the graphic settings of the game? I know that the improvements will come with the update 85 but I wanted to know if changing anything could be improved within the game itself.
    Please help

If you don't mind me asking, what are your specs?

Intel core I7, an Nvidia Gforce GTX 760, and that's basically all I know :P
  • DarkStar88DarkStar88 Omaha, NE Join Date: 2018-05-03 Member: 240491Members
    Is it possible for any further optimization in future updates, or have you done all you can reasonably do?

I only ask because my decade-old PC can barely play this wonderful game at minimal settings and I'm too poor to upgrade.
    edited May 2018
    Since I am still unable to download #85 on Steam due to it not being available, I posted a bug report thread about it including screenshots taken a few hours ago showing all the relevant sections of my Steam Client. All listing #84 as the latest update to the game available on Steam.

Thread linked here:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/154670/steam-does-not-see-update-85-shows-84-as-latest-update-available#latest

EDIT/UPDATE:

With the help of some input from user "ZonTwitch" we have been able to determine that I do indeed have version #85 as my public release version, despite Steam not listing it in the update history.