Pause/Esc Menu Bug

CyberixGAMECyberixGAME Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236718Members
I've been having a problem since full release, and maybe a little bit before. When pressing the Escape button and going to the pause menu, the game immediately becomes unplayable. Clicking any button will not do anything and "Back to Game" won't return me to playing, forcing me to Alt+F4 and quit without saving, because that button is broken too. I've tried reinstalling the game and verifying the game's integrity, but to no avail. I've come to the forums because "Give Feedback" is also broken. I'm on the latest Subnautica release (non-experimental, build no. 59783), latest Steam Client update, and latest GeForce Experience version.

My computer specifications (if it helps, which it probably doesn't)...
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
RAM: 12 GB

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping me get back on my way off of this ocean planet!

Comments

• Shift293Shift293 United States Join Date: 2018-02-10 Member: 237285Members
    I am also having the same issue, but my issue is also with not being able to pick stuff up with left click. Did it happen to you from a save?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Either of you have your mouse buttons set to left-handed? Regardless, try switching to Experimental (Betas tab in Steam > Subnautica > Properties) and see if it's fixed there.
  • CyberixGAMECyberixGAME Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236718Members
    To Shift293, no, it didn't happen from a save. It's throughout all of my newly created worlds.

To 0x6A7232, I'm right-handed, and also I've tried both the stable and experimental versions, and both had the same problem.
  • Blooper22Blooper22 Join Date: 2018-02-15 Member: 237698Members
    I am having the same problem. Also, I have no sound which I cannot seem to rectify.

FWIW, when I start the game from Steam, my system bogs down and the mouse gets very jumpy. The loading text is shown at the bottom left, then the screen goes black until I hold down escape. Then I am immediately in the escape pod. Everything is repaired and there is no smoke or anything. I can open the medkit cabinet, but cannot pick up a medkit.

Also, I can do a few things like leave the escape pod, swim around and even pick up items like acid mushrooms and metal salvage. As soon as I hit escape, I'm stuck though. I can still move around, but cannot interact with the menu or any items in game.

Is this the place I need to submit my error for resolution by Unknown Worlds?

Here are the DxDiag and the beginning and end of the output log (it seems to be much to large for pastebin).

[Evidently I cannot post links yet...I guess I will try tomorrow...]

I just bought the game today. I have the newest drivers for my graphics card and sound.

Maybe the next build will be more stable? Is it something with my rig? (I am right-handed by the way)

Please help. I would love to play this game!
    Post links to your output_log.txt and dxdiag info when you are able, those should (hopefully) help diagnose.
    Hi 0x6A7232, me again.

Let's see if I can upload links now...

DxDiag.txt

https://pastebin.com/vU7hwuzU

output_log.txt

https://pastebin.com/MppWHPjc (Beginning)
    https://pastebin.com/9b3mb3A1 (End)

Thank you for your time! Have a great weekend if I don't hear from you!
    To Blooper22 and 0x6A7232,

Could I help to solve this case with this "DxDiag" and "output_log"? I'd be happy to share any information I've got that could help. Just need to know what those mean... :3
    @Blooper22 You're running in OpenGL mode (and with an RX 580, you shouldn't be). Try making sure you don't have the -force-opengl custom startup string in the launch options for Subnautica (in Steam, right-click Subnautica and hit Properties, then click "Set Launch Options..." If not, try installing the latest drivers from AMD.

@CyberixGAME Yes, that would be most helpful. If you need help finding those files, see here
    To @0x6A7232, here's my DxDiag.txt file: https://pastebin.com/TifPwiMF

I would also like help to give you a copy of the output_log.txt file, it's just far too long to put into Pastebin as the file is 323 million characters long. Is there an alternative way to give that out? Perhaps an email address?
  • Afro_HorseAfro_Horse Join Date: 2018-02-18 Member: 237873Members
    I am having the exact same problem. I am not allowed to post links as I have only just created this account but the main error that is 99% of the logs is:

SystemNotInitializedException: FMOD Studio initialization failed : Calling initialize : ERR_OUTPUT_INIT : Error initializing output device.
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.CheckInitResult (RESULT result, System.String cause) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.Initialiase (Boolean forceNoNetwork) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_Instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I removed the opengl. Any ideas? Thanks again for your help!

DxDiag.txt
    https://pastebin.com/84YVdKaV

Output Log
    https://pastebin.com/zJNEbdKp Beginning
    https://pastebin.com/PTJL8MUQ End
  • m0nk3nm0nk3n subnautica Join Date: 2018-02-11 Member: 237402Members
    edited February 2018

I would also like help to give you a copy of the output_log.txt file, it's just far too long to put into Pastebin as the file is 323 million characters long. Is there an alternative way to give that out? Perhaps an email address?

maybe move that file to another location to start a new output log file ? then paste that in pastebin?
    m0nk3n wrote: »

maybe move that file to another location to start a new output log file ? then paste that in pastebin?

Either that or upload to something like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc and post a sharing link.
    If your output_log.txt has multiple failure messages with FMOD, try opening services.msc (search it in the start menu) and right-click > restart on "Windows Audio". Not sure if it'll help, got that from here:
    This is possibly an issue with the AudioSrv service in Windows. Go to the TaskManager. Go to the Services tab. Find 'AudioSrv' in the list, right click and Restart it. Then restart Unity. Should fix it.

First off, though, I'd switch to Experimental and see if this has already been fixed with a recent patch.
  • whiten01sewhiten01se Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237933Members
    edited February 2018
    Just ran into that very same problem myself. Several fresh installs (normal and experimental), several reboots, deleted the old savegames etc, but since today i can't play that game anymore. It loads into the world, then even so much as trying to do anything in the pause menu has the game broken.

I first noticed it when loading into my saves, and finding myself swimming inside the base rooms. Somehow the status of the whole world seemed to be screwed up.

Then i discovered the menu bug. Right now the game is pretty much shot to hell.

Output_log.txt shows the FMod error:
    SystemNotInitializedException: FMOD Studio initialization failed : Calling initialize : ERR_OUTPUT_INIT : Error initializing output device.
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.CheckInitResult (RESULT result, System.String cause) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.Initialiase (Boolean forceNoNetwork) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_Instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I noticed with the update to Win10 1709 MS shuffled around the audio devices and their names, not sure why FMod would fail though.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    If you enable the steam fps counter.
    What does it say?

I had one moment in testing where my fps crashed to 1fps and obviously menus started to fail.
    Could not reproduce, did not report. But I wonder... :)
  • tmottur16tmottur16 VA Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237940Members
    I’m having this issue too, tried experimental, reinstalling, verifying cache, still can’t do anything once I enter the pause menu. I just downloaded it on PC after playing the EA version on Xbox, my specs are up to recommended so not sure how to proceed.
  • whiten01sewhiten01se Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237933Members
    Ok, did some more googling, and apparently restarting the Audio Service in Windows helps solve the issue, which is interesting because this should be equivalent to a reboot, which didn't help me.

Oh well, so if that problem occurs, first try to restart the service named "Audiosrv" in Windows.
    whiten01se wrote: »
    Ok, did some more googling, and apparently restarting the Audio Service in Windows helps solve the issue, which is interesting because this should be equivalent to a reboot, which didn't help me.

Oh well, so if that problem occurs, first try to restart the service named "Audiosrv" in Windows.

AKA "Windows Audio" in Services

You can also Win + X, A and then do
    net stop audiosrv
    net start audiosrv

To @m0nk3n and @0x6A7232, I cleared the output log, replicated the bug I encountered, then exited, but the file was still too large to paste into any website. My browser simply crashes!
    To @m0nk3n and @0x6A7232, I cleared the output log, replicated the bug I encountered, then exited, but the file was still too large to paste into any website. My browser simply crashes!

Use compression (7-zip, WinZip, WinRAR, or Windows SendTo > compressed folder) and upload the archive (.7z, .rar, or .zip) to a file sharing service such as Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive, and then post a sharing link to the file.
  • BonelessBobBonelessBob canada Join Date: 2018-02-26 Member: 238357Members

I've been having a problem since full release, and maybe a little bit before. When pressing the Escape button and going to the pause menu, the game immediately becomes unplayable. Clicking any button will not do anything and "Back to Game" won't return me to playing, forcing me to Alt+F4 and quit without saving, because that button is broken too. I've tried reinstalling the game and verifying the game's integrity, but to no avail. I've come to the forums because "Give Feedback" is also broken. I'm on the latest Subnautica release (non-experimental, build no. 59783), latest Steam Client update, and latest GeForce Experience version.

My computer specifications (if it helps, which it probably doesn't)...
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    RAM: 12 GB

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping me get back on my way off of this ocean planet!

I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy. I fixed it by downloading realtek audio drivers (the game didn't seem to like the windows ones)
    Hope this helped!
  • Catalin28Catalin28 Romania Join Date: 2018-12-27 Member: 247302Members
    So do you guys find out how to solve the problem?if you find it please tell me ! I cant play this game from a long time. And i love this game so much.its frustrating to see the game on your desktop and not be able to solve it.
  • LolypopsLolypops Russia Join Date: 2018-12-29 Member: 247517Members
    Any newcomers: post your dxdiag output and output_log.txt files See my signature under "useful info to include"
    where i can find dxdiag and output_log.txt files please tell me.And if i give my dxdiag and output_log.txt files the problem will be solved?

Where can i find those dxdiag output and output_log.txt files? and if i will find them the problem will be solved
    ?
    if i will reinstall the windows it will help?
    i cant find this files anywhere in the game filles.For me this is an dead end.
    I think I'm going to give up playing this game.I am sorry for this game.but i willplay the new one (below zero) .Thx anyway