Drifting

ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
Okay I am still running on the stable the code is 55670. I am certain now that life pods drift. My life pod started near one of the long coral tubes in a diagonal direction of the rear of the Aurora it is now almost directly over my base which is in the red grass field near life pod 17 like it is drifting toward the Floating island.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Belgarel do you want his save file?
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Only if on loading the save the pod is drifting away from where it should be rather than towards where it should be.

I've reproduced this once myself and the state doesn't seem to survive a save/load, though. If you find an easy way to cause it to happen that'd be very useful.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Belgarel wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Only if on loading the save the pod is drifting away from where it should be rather than towards where it should be.

I've reproduced this once myself and the state doesn't seem to survive a save/load, though. If you find an easy way to cause it to happen that'd be very useful.

Already logged @Belgarel : https://trello.com/c/nWyPIkB1/1297-55766-return-of-the-drifting-lifepod
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    The last time I played Subnautica (about 2 days ago) I had this problem with my Lifepod as well. I noticed it first when trying to build the Neptune Launch Pad (which ya, I know now it can't be built as of yet already lol) and my MVB was nowhere to be found. I keep it floating next to my Lifepod, since it takes up so much room in storage, and was bewildered that it was gone. No matter, I just console-spawned a new one in and deployed it next to my Lifepod... then to my dismay I saw my Lifepod slowly inch away from it. :( I know the 'pod itself was moving, as when standing on it with the F1 console display open, I was moving at a constant 0.2 meters/second.

So I got in my Seamoth and tried to repeatedly ram the Lifepod, so it would lose power and hopefully stop drifting... no dice. The only effect I could see was the Lifepod would drift in a different direction instead. I then took my battered Seamoth back to my base and got my Cyclops - I was gonna force the Lifepod to either stop moving or corral it someplace so I could surround it with L-Corridors. Well, long story short, even with my Cyclops butted up against the Lifepod, it would just slooooowly creep along the length of the Cyclops, and then clip through the end segment and drift away once it cleared the vehicle. Also, L-Corridors wouldn't work as in open water there was no land close enough to warrant a green wireframe, and the one time I did get a green wireframe the Lifepod wouldn't stay still long enough to build enough to enclose it. :angry:

So, my question against all of this is once again: The Lifepod has logic to move on its own volition (whether accidental or by design), as I've seen enough times to track this phenomenon with F1 and know that it can move on its own. Can we not harness this as a gameplay feature? Make it so that once the Lifepod is fixed and a certain level of tech is unlocked, that we can just pilot the Lifepod across the ocean similar to a pontoon? It would be much nicer to be able to move the Lifepod to areas of interest in the early game, rather than having to make a dozen trips between spots and the Lifepod. Then for the mid-game, we can just putter the Lifepod to wherever we wanted, be it a deep-sea base or some other spot, so we can have an alternate base/beacon waypoint, rather than a useless ping to be turned off for the rest of the game. :(

Or, barring that it's too time-consuming for the 1.0 launch, just have it so the Lifepod can be tethered to the Seamoth like a U-Haul trailer and we can just drag it places. I'd love to be able to make use of the Lifepod beyond the early game, and have it be more active in my survival. I mean, It protected us from death, and sustained us in the early weeks days of living on 4546B... it shouldn't spent its golden years days neglected and alone, slowly suffering from sun poisoning. :pensive:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Tarkannen I think the best way to fix it was Stasis Rifle, IIRC. Failing that, surround it with Pipes.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Wow! This is awesome that we are one step closer to identifying what caused this elusive bug! Great work!
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    Scott's got a workaround in for this that anchors it pretty firmly as of 55910, so the drifting should be fixed.
    Wow! That's great news!
  • OnivariousOnivarious United States Join Date: 2017-11-06 Member: 233863Members
    I had this happen to me about two days ago.
  • ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
    Yeah it is still drifting. It is going toward the floating island Headed toward the rendezvous point maybe?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @Forgerer

The fix is experimental only; if you are on stable, you need to wait for this fix until the next stable update.
  • Nathan_JamesNathan_James United States Join Date: 2017-11-09 Member: 233915Members
    lol my first game ever in subnautica, my pod started drifting away from me faster than i could swim. at 2km away, i eventually gave up and drowned myself. when i respawned, the lifepod was out in the middle of nowhere, over bottomless waters.
  • VIDISVIDIS Russia Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235283Members
    edited January 2018
    Yes, the life pod is drifting- but not immediately- in a clockwise direction from the crash site, begins from Aurora out to the floating island , then returning (coming back) from the other side. Сircular ocean currents (stream)? or influence of the sky - it rotates?
    it's even interesting - don't build a base quickly - starving to death :)))

VIDIS wrote: »
    Yes, the life pod is drifting- but not immediately- in a clockwise direction from the crash site, begins from Aurora out to the floating island , then returning (coming back) from the other side. Сircular ocean currents (stream)? or influence of the sky - it rotates?
    it's even interesting - don't build a base quickly - starving to death :)))

This bug has long since been fixed...
  • GemsparkGemspark Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235287Members
    i think the experimental version fixed that.
  • ForgererForgerer Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223544Members
    Love your avatar Gemspark