Updated Map Release!

AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
Heya!

If you're on the discord and are, like, the 1% of people who actually care about what I said, then you'll know I have been making a Subnautica map!

And I finished the version with no specific location on it!

Here you all go!

gjbloxf2foza.png

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Pretty good!
    Although it's spelt "Sparse reef" lol
    #nitpicking :p
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    So, question, would you happen to know where the "Mesas" biome is?

It was shown in one of the update videos a few months ago, and I can't find it anywhere.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Skope wrote: »

It was shown in one of the update videos a few months ago, and I can't find it anywhere.

Sadly, it is not shown on any biome maps, not even the ones in the game, so I have no clue.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Skope wrote: »

the mesas is located on the right side of the aroura as far as i know but to get there i recommend going from the front of the Aurora as you won`t encounter any reapers
  • TraildawgTraildawg United States Join Date: 2017-12-20 Member: 234521Members
    The 'Bulb' zone is also known as the 'Koosh' zone, for those who don't know. I'm glad you put 'Bulb' on your map bc I couldn't find it in-game...had to SN.wikia it
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Traildawg wrote: »
    The 'Bulb' zone is also known as the 'Koosh' zone, for those who don't know. I'm glad you put 'Bulb' on your map bc I couldn't find it in-game...had to SN.wikia it
    'Koosh' is a trademark for a toy. Don't know the full details behind what happened when the name change came about. However, we should respect this important matter for UWE and now only refer to it as the Bulb Zone, Bulb plants, etc.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    kinda useless without any of the wreck locations but at least it's got the crag fields
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    'Koosh' is a trademark for a toy. Don't know the full details behind what happened when the name change came about. However, we should respect this important matter for UWE and now only refer to it as the Bulb Zone, Bulb plants, etc.

Yeah, dumb trademarks.. Like I get it, but does anyone really think we were gonna confuse the two?? Yeesh.
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Yeah, dumb trademarks.. Like I get it, but does anyone really think we were gonna confuse the two?? Yeesh.

IANAL, but I think the reason is that if one does not protect their trademark they loose it more or less automatically. Then anyone could probably start making games directly about "koosh" and not just some vaguely-resembling terrain features in a fraction of the game.

I'm impressed they could actually get authorised to use the Cyclops trademark. Bonus points for the cyclops still being destructible in-game despite that (although it is still quite a beast), as I believe it is the reason why racing games typically do not introduce visible car damage: it could be seen as hurting the trademark as in-game models are made to resemble actual cars. I don't think the in-game cyclops resembles the real-world one very much (besides the large central round piece of glass, but that's a "duh" considering the name...), so it may be why.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    vpelletier wrote: »
    I'm impressed they could actually get authorised to use the Cyclops trademark. Bonus points for the cyclops still being destructible in-game despite that (although it is still quite a beast); as I believe it is the reason why racing games typically do not introduce visible car damage: it could be seen as hurting the trademark as in-game models are made to resemble actual cars.
    I suspect it's a combination of "absurd levels of publicity for a small company that nobody would know about otherwise" and "small company doesn't have a massive legal department picking everything apart like a big corp would"
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    kinda useless without any of the wreck locations but at least it's got the crag fields

I'm making another version with Levi Spawns, Wrecks, and Lifepods.
    IANAL, but I think the reason is that if one does not protect their trademark they loose it more or less automatically.

Actually, I later remembered this applies to patents. No idea about trademarks. I would love to strike that sentence out in my original post, but no obvious button to edit. Maybe too late ?
  • WulfsterWulfster Join Date: 2018-01-17 Member: 235133Members
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    '
    IANAL, but I think the reason is that if one does not protect their trademark they loose it more or less automatically.

Actually, I later remembered this applies to patents. No idea about trademarks. I would love to strike that sentence out in my original post, but no obvious button to edit. Maybe too late ?

I think it applies to trademarks but not to patents. Especially as trademarks are indefinite in length if defended, but patents always have a limited life (problems are either issued too trivially or length of time too long). There's famous trademarks that weren't defended and were lost, like Aspirin.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2018
    We could always call it the "Dotted Balls" Zone.

But that sounds a bit like something you get from visiting to many back rooms in the 'Red Light District' of Amsterdam.

B)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited January 2018

I found this posted on the TVTropes.org Subnautica Shout-Out page (and I should know, since I posted this on there originally): :lol:
    According to a page on the developer's Trello board (a message-board site for the creative team to help delegate tasks), the colorful Koosh Bush plants were apparently inspired by Hasbro's popular children's toy of the same name.

And here's the link to the original Trello page, as posted by Tom Jubert (someone else sent the note to Tom):
    Hey Tom, it just kind of struck me today, but the plants we have in game that we are calling the "Koosh" Bushes could potentially run into some copyright infringement on the name, since I believe Hasbro owns it. The look of the plants were certainly based off Koosh Balls, but I think it was intended that the name for them was going to be changed to something else, but never was.

I think it would be safer if we could get that changed to a different name, soon.

Even though it's obvious that the Koosh Bulb Bushes were inspired by Koosh Balls, it's a shame that UWE had to rename them in order to avoid possible lawsuit issues. Although, I am impressed with UWE's honor and sensibilities in making this change, even if such a need wasn't likely warranted at that time. Keep up the great work, dev team! :blush:
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited January 2018
    '

I think it applies to trademarks but not to patents. Especially as trademarks are indefinite in length if defended, but patents always have a limited life (problems are either issued too trivially or length of time too long). There's famous trademarks that weren't defended and were lost, like Aspirin.

I had to chime in here regarding this comment; once again TVTropes.org has two great tropes focusing on this very issue:

1. Brand Name Takeover talks about how if a specific brand name gets so commonly used to describe the item or product in question, it can fall out ownership of whoever owns the intellectual property. If the term "X" makes everyone think of a particular item, then "X" can fall into the public domain where anyone can call it as "X" without fear of litigation.
    2. Stuck on Band-Aid Brand is what comes up if point #1 is in danger of happening. This trope refers to the unwieldy ways that companies go out of their way to keep their brand name intact. This therefore prevents the generic access of their IP and lets them keep their trademark intact.
    3. Just for fun, I'll throw in Disney Owns This Trope as a playful jab for when companies try to go too far in protecting their IP and trademarks... But on the flip side, consider these various companies that Disney DOES own: Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Parks, LucasFilm Ltd, Marvel Studios, Pixar Studios, ABC/Freeform, ESPN, A&E Network... I don't think we should be worried about Skynet taking over the world, but instead looking towards a Dys(ney)topian future. :scream:
    edited January 2018
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I don't think we should be worried about Skynet taking over the world, but instead looking towards a Dys(ney)topian future. :scream:

There is a Youtube video for this too: Tom Scott - Disney Could Go Nuclear If They Wanted To .
    EDIT:
    Spoiler 1: This is about nuclear power plant, not nuclear weapons.
    Spoiler 2: This is about the legal capability of doing so more than technical or financial capability.
    Spoiler 3: There are several other points in that video which are just as WTF-esques.
    Update: Sorry about not working on the second version, I got sick and spent my weekend coughing and blowing my nose lmao.
  • RimePendragonRimePendragon Join Date: 2017-05-06 Member: 230302Members
    Great map. Can you make a printable version ? Then I can use it to mark my progress finding wrecks.
  • ShasolShasol Danmark Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236515Members
    edited February 2018

Update: Sorry about not working on the second version, I got sick and spent my weekend coughing and blowing my nose lmao.

It's ok, just glad you are doing this, much appreciated.
  • ColdPixelColdPixel Join Date: 2018-02-02 Member: 236532Members
  • GnomaanaGnomaana Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230179Members
    Great map. Can you make a printable version ? Then I can use it to mark my progress finding wrecks.

It is a PNG file. It should print on any decent color printer without too much trouble. Even using the builtin picture viewer of Windows I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get a decent printout of it.
  • SickSixSickSix FL Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236202Members
    Thanks for the updated map.

Also if you want to talk about going overboard with IP/trademark protection, look up Games Workshop and their legal fiascos.
  • Cavalry7734Cavalry7734 United States Join Date: 2018-02-02 Member: 236625Members
    Awesome map, thanks! Helps out a ton!
  • Griff34Griff34 Join Date: 2018-02-10 Member: 237287Members
    Just letting you know that the area which is gray around the map is now called the "dead zone" it's the only place where you can find adult ghost Leviathans which can two shot you.
  • Griff34Griff34 Join Date: 2018-02-10 Member: 237287Members
    Awesome map, thanks! Helps out a ton!

ikr now i'm not so lost
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    Thank you very much!
  • LarkLark CA Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237229Members
    This looks great. Perfect for printing out and making my own notes on it.