LifePod Destruction

justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
edited November 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    Note sure what you mean... You want Lifepod 5 damaged/destroyed on start? Or do you want an option to activate a self-destruct?
  • XxIcarusxXXxIcarusxX France Join Date: 2016-06-03 Member: 218052Members
    edited November 2017
    Lifepod is sometime attacked by stalker for unknow reason, so I suppose it should be destroyed after a while if not quickly fixed. At least if you already have another fabricator.
  • justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
    @Kouji_San at some point during the game I feel a warper should go into the safe shallows and tear a hole into the lifepod, at that point it would fill with water and sink. Whatever you have in the storage would be accessible to take it out or put something in. That or a stalker makes it sink to the seafloor still accessible for use.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    justi18562 wrote: »
    @Kouji_San at some point during the game I feel a warper should go into the safe shallows and tear a hole into the lifepod, at that point it would fill with water and sink. Whatever you have in the storage would be accessible to take it out or put something in. That or a stalker makes it sink to the seafloor still accessible for use.

Hmm, how about combining this with the drifting bug, let's make it a proper feature. Drifting into uncharted territory can cause issue for ya pod and also adds a bit of randomness and perhaps some depth :D
    Making the lifepod be sunk right after you lost your only way out i think would be harsh enough than to try and find your lifepod in the dunes or void however I guess it could go closer to the front of the Aurora or the gun so that it's out of the safe shallows and the creature can attack it. @Kouji_San
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Yes, but only after a long time, and with plenty of warning. Make it repairable with the Builder Tool, though, at which point it floats to the top and charges back up.
    I don't think you're getting the point @0x6A7232 the point is to force the player out of their provided safe haven and build their own and not depend on it for everything the transition period between hopeless and having vehicles is a good transition but I've seen players with a cyclops and their still using the lifepod also my floater idea of having them be able to make all the lifepods float to the surface could be implemented as well.
    Problem is if you do that and they don't have a base, they could end up stuck if they don't have a Build Tool. I guess that's kind of the point, though.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    No. There's no easy way to say "oh no the lifepod was destroyed" and prevent the player from soft locking themselves without a fabricator.
  • RebmesRebmes Join Date: 2017-04-28 Member: 230074Members
    Sure, whether it slowly drifts to unsavory places, or something bad happens to it, why not.

However, the down side, is a lot of people use Lifepod 5 as a reference point to know where they are on the map - there aren't many other ways to know where you are relative to the center of the map.

Sure, players can place a beacon where the lifepod was, but most players might not think of doing this, and if something happens to the lifepod, it might be hard to know where exactly it was when u come back with a beacon.

So IDK.... Also if something happens to your Seabase, it's good to have the Lifepod as a fallback. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. xD
  • BioSpiritBioSpirit Join Date: 2016-11-23 Member: 224153Members
    What's the point ? Due to low storage space on the lifepod I usually build a seabase as soon as possible and I don't return to the lifepod after that. So, it doesn't really matter if it gets destroyed or not (from my point of view).

Having destroy-able seabases and lifepod would, of course, bring a new survival element in hardcore runs. Especially if flooding would destroy equipment beyond repair. There's no point in destroy-able lifepod alone.
  • BioSpiritBioSpirit Join Date: 2016-11-23 Member: 224153Members
    edited November 2017
    Of course, one possibility is to start the game with damaged/sinking lifepod. Player would wake-up while the lifepod is taking water and starts to sink. In that case there must be a habitat builder in a storage container. Fabricator is not required to build a seabase, a working fabricator, solar panels and radio. Quartz, Titanium, Copper, Gold and Table coral are all that's needed.

I suppose that could be a nice change. Slightly a different start for the game and not too difficult for the devs to implement.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Problem is if you do that and they don't have a base, they could end up stuck if they don't have a Build Tool. I guess that's kind of the point, though.

The event could be gated to the Build Tool's construction. I'm still not sure how I feel about Lifepod 5 being destroyed, though.
    BioSpirit wrote: »
    Of course, one possibility is to start the game with damaged/sinking lifepod. Player would wake-up while the lifepod is taking water and starts to sink. In that case there must be a habitat builder in a storage container. Fabricator is not required to build a seabase, a working fabricator, solar panels and radio. Quartz, Titanium, Copper, Gold and Table coral are all that's needed.

I suppose that could be a nice change. Slightly a different start for the game and not too difficult for the devs to implement.

Sounds like a good hardcore run start.
  • SERGIUSERGIU Romania Join Date: 2017-11-19 Member: 234041Members
    edited November 2017
    Yeah.... A bad idea here. Others players says if the lifepod gone, the fabricator gone and you are gone :), even you are advanced in your map ( have a base, another fabricator ), for beggining it's a bad idea... From me it's a NO
  • nexoboomnexoboom Lara Join Date: 2017-11-11 Member: 233934Members
    what if a player doesnt have a base building tool and they get stuck because they dont have a fabricater at all
  • VTMarikVTMarik Florida,USA Join Date: 2017-12-07 Member: 234286Members
    Why not an option to use the lifepod as the start or hub of a base? That way we get a fabricator and some power cells at the outset.
    Another idea would be to tear down the lifepod for parts and then use the objects and the materials to build a base.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    I like the idea of being forced to move your base of operation mid-game and no longer being safe.
    However it ask for a game code that check your progression and is sure you have built another base and fabricator to operate from (or let you scavenge the one from the destroyed pod).
    All the while without feeling too scripted, even if it's like the Aurora explosion.

The reason to destroy the pod can be multiple. I have my own but I'd let them decide.

(Not expecting anything new until the game formally release)
  • Inny78Inny78 France Join Date: 2017-11-02 Member: 233820Members
    The sinking could be triggered after the player sleeps in a bed, as this can only happen if the player has already a base.
  • FlanpanFlanpan UK Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230681Members
    Inny78 wrote: »
    The sinking could be triggered after the player sleeps in a bed, as this can only happen if the player has already a base.
    In my opinion, there would need to be some serious rebalancing for sleeping in order to make this work well. I'm not sure anyone would use a bed once they found out it was tied to the destruction of the lifepod.
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    You could do it like the ________ explosion, your PDA tell you how much time you have to create a new habitat before the starter zone become deadly.
    To prevent an unwinnable game all you need is a working builder-tool so you can build the fabricator. Eventually you could spread the necessary component in the wreck.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    edited December 2017
    i think it should be possible to salvage the lifepod for tech and scrap to help the player build their first base.
    For example:
    -you could salvage parts of the walls / floors (scrap)
    -you could salvage the power cells
    -you could salvage the communications relay
    -you could salvage the circuitry (copper wires, computer chips, gold)

To prevent new players from destroying everything early game a builder tool would be required for salvaging. When someone goes to salvage something perhaps a message would pop up explaining the consequences of salvaging that part.

Side-effects include:
    -salvaged floors / wall lets water leak in on the floor (slower movement speed in the pod)
    -salvaged communications relay (self explanitory)
    -salvaged power cells (no power)
    -salvaged circuitry (slower power cell recharge time / lights turn off / lifepod begins drifting)

And if you salvage everything maybe the lifepod could do something cool like turn upside down from the weight change or get stuck on a shallow bit. something cool like that.
  • JardimJardim São Paulo, Brazil Join Date: 2017-12-14 Member: 234428Members
    justi18562 wrote: »

This. Thats a good idea.

• mapokapomapokapo Join Date: 2017-12-26 Member: 234611Members
    edited December 2017
    Make the game detect whether you have a habitat, and if you have a fabricator in it, then, after a few days, once Lifepod 5 is out of view, your PDA announces that it was destroyed. If the player does not leave the lifepod at all (i.e. it does not leave your FOV), either: a) nothing happens until the lifepod is out of view again, b) some monster (Warper, Reaper Leviathan, Stalker) attacks the lifepod and deals damage to you slowly, causing you to either exit the lifepod or get pushed out by the game. +1 for the idea from me~
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    Funsauce32 wrote: »
    i think it should be possible to salvage the lifepod for tech and scrap to help the player build their first base.
    For example:
    -you could salvage parts of the walls / floors (scrap)
    -you could salvage the power cells
    -you could salvage the communications relay
    -you could salvage the circuitry (copper wires, computer chips, gold)

To prevent new players from destroying everything early game a builder tool would be required for salvaging. When someone goes to salvage something perhaps a message would pop up explaining the consequences of salvaging that part.

Side-effects include:
    -salvaged floors / wall lets water leak in on the floor (slower movement speed in the pod)
    -salvaged communications relay (self explanitory)
    -salvaged power cells (no power)
    -salvaged circuitry (slower power cell recharge time / lights turn off / lifepod begins drifting)

And if you salvage everything maybe the lifepod could do something cool like turn upside down from the weight change or get stuck on a shallow bit. something cool like that.

You can't deconstruct anything without a builder tool anyway, but that's a moot point. According to the in-game lore: "Salvage of intact portions of Alterra vessels is prohibited at legal, moral and technical level. . ."
  • MánagarmrMánagarmr Join Date: 2018-01-02 Member: 234757Members
    I don't really understand the question. Do you want the chance of it being destroyed, or it starts destroyed or do you want to be able to destroy it?
  • thetawaves90thetawaves90 Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236679Members
    Bad idea. If your base gets destroyed and you're left with no fabricator, you'd soft-lock the game. Leaving the lifepod invulnerable allows a point of recovery regardless of player actions.
  • SickSixSickSix FL Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236202Members
    I want an option to destroy it myself or deconstruct it for materials. It serves no purpose in late game and its Icon keeps getting stuck on my screen.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    SickSix wrote: »
    I want an option to destroy it myself or deconstruct it for materials. It serves no purpose in late game and its Icon keeps getting stuck on my screen.

That's why there's a disable button.