Release Questions

gbuzz1216gbuzz1216 Join Date: 2017-03-09 Member: 228771Members
Is subnautica going to be on a disc and if it is, when can I pre order it (want to support release sales by buying it on disc, even though I already have the game!)

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited November 2017
    If I remember correctly from what I have read on their TRELLO board in the past, they are investigating as to whether or not it would be advantageous monetarily for them to release the game in Disc form.
    But I don't believe there is a definite plan at this time to do so.
    B)
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    If they do do it. It would be after the digital versions come out. I'll buy it again because I want physical copies of games.
    I just went to TRELLO to refresh my memory, and did find in their Post-v1.0 plans, a card stating that they are considering a Retail Version.
    The thinking is that since the game is geared to be "Family Friendly", there may be a large enough younger audience (who don't have a credit card and may not buy digitally) to make a hard disc version profitable.
    B)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    If they can get this on shelves in every box store they'll make a killing, IMHO, as long as word of mouth and maybe a little advertising does its job as well.
  • guzmonsterguzmonster San Francisco Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230217Members
    Good job on most of the Stability issues, but isn't this supposed to be an advanced technological Starship culture? Whose idea was it to tie the battery chargers to the Cyclops batteries? How come I have to eat and drink every 20 minutes or so? Why do the batteries only last frieking 25 minutes on this sub when travelling? Why can't I build diving tanks with a decent air supply anymore? 60 seconds is a joke and adds nothing but frustration to the game and more tedious running back and forth while navigating clinging wreckage. Still cannot find some of the needed blueprints and a few essential minerals needed after many hours of Farting around, because you moved them deeper and put more Leviathans and other Attack Monsters around the areas, but you cannot defend yourself until you find the blueprints!. Cute, but Not Good Dudes, some of those changes will definitely be a turn off. Still it has Good Potential, and it was a lot of fun BEFORE some of the aforementioned chances.
    This is a SURVIVAL type of game.

There is no Practical Defense, you're supposed to AVOID and SWIM AWAY.

It's not suppose to be EASY.
    B)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2017
    guzmonster wrote: »
    Good job on most of the Stability issues, but isn't this supposed to be an advanced technological Starship culture? Whose idea was it to tie the battery chargers to the Cyclops batteries? How come I have to eat and drink every 20 minutes or so? Why do the batteries only last frieking 25 minutes on this sub when travelling? Why can't I build diving tanks with a decent air supply anymore? 60 seconds is a joke and adds nothing but frustration to the game and more tedious running back and forth while navigating clinging wreckage. Still cannot find some of the needed blueprints and a few essential minerals needed after many hours of Farting around, because you moved them deeper and put more Leviathans and other Attack Monsters around the areas, but you cannot defend yourself until you find the blueprints!. Cute, but Not Good Dudes, some of those changes will definitely be a turn off. Still it has Good Potential, and it was a lot of fun BEFORE some of the aforementioned chances.

Point is pretty damn valid, but aren't you in the wrong thread 39.gif
    guzmonster wrote: »

Time is compressed for your enjoyment (notice day/night cycle and days flying by in the logs). Unless you'd like to swim for an hour to get to the Aurora.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Time is compressed for your enjoyment (notice day/night cycle and days flying by in the logs). Unless you'd like to swim for an hour to get to the Aurora.

Problem is: the map is small. If you dilated game time, without also increasing the distances, you would need to make the character move slower to achieve this effect.

I would love if game time was a little slower and distances a little longer.
  • MasterChefMasterChef Join Date: 2017-11-25 Member: 234107Members
    So according to steam this game will launch in January. I have heard of some previous patch releases causing saves to wipe and for better or for worse causing folks to start over again. Has anyone heard if this will happen again before launch? I am eager to play, and am okay playing with bugs, but would really love to know if my stuff will get wiped before the official launch or not since I'd rather not put in a lot of time to have it erased.
    MasterChef wrote: »
    So according to steam this game will launch in January. I have heard of some previous patch releases causing saves to wipe and for better or for worse causing folks to start over again. Has anyone heard if this will happen again before launch? I am eager to play, and am okay playing with bugs, but would really love to know if my stuff will get wiped before the official launch or not since I'd rather not put in a lot of time to have it erased.

There's usually ways around that if it happens, (clear cache files and edit the game save's settings file so that it shows that the save is from that version of Subnautica) but nothing is guaranteed, and of course, there's a risk of corruption if you did that (I mean, they set the game saves as incompatible for a reason).

However, UWE usually takes care to try and preserve saves across versions, at least on Stable releases.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Plus it's also best to just restart. Because you don't have to deal with any dumb issues that can crop up. And you miss all the added stuff they put in. If you stuck to one save file.
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    Plus it's also best to just restart. Because you don't have to deal with any dumb issues that can crop up. And you miss all the added stuff they put in. If you stuck to one save file.

If you really, really want to keep your save, clearing your cache can help bring most of the new content into your old game. It's not foolproof, but it's better than nothing. (Delete the CellsCache folder. Note some stuff will be reset, like doors that use a key, and any items that have been harvested in the world will be reset to fully stocked. However, Aurora maintains its repaired state, so that's good. I haven't really had any serious issues when clearing cache before. Used to be you could get terrain in your base, but they removed base terraforming, so that's not an issue any more.)
    edited December 2017
    Is there going to be another update to STABLE before the launch of the game on January 23rd?
    I couldn't find anything stating that on TRELLO.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Is there going to be another update to STABLE before the launch of the game on January 23rd?
    I couldn't find anything stating that on TRELLO.

Yes. Soon.
    edited December 2017
    Wonderful, thank You very much for the early Xmas Present.