Development of the PDApp

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    edited November 2017
    I've also decided to have a settings page(changing the map type, swipe sensitivity, default map zoom, default photos tab camera), a button for deleting beacons, and a system for switching the camera from the front camera to the back. Also, for tracking journeys, I've decided that every 30 seconds the current lat/long will be recorded, and every 2 minutes a beacon, but with no name and the dive reel symbol will be dropped at the current location.
    edited November 2017
    Not a very big update today, I just finished the databank(sprite-wise), and the inventory(also sprite-wise), and finished a list for showing which beacons you have and where they are. Updated polish roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on
    • Implement notification system
    Bootup
    Map:
    • Distance from one beacon to another/from yourself to another beacon
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys?
    • beacon deletion functionality
    Inventory:
    • Have nameable inventorys(link in with showing where the pages are)
    Camera:
    • be able to switch between cameras
    Other:
    • Sprite update(bootup, main HUD, inventory, map, camera, and databank)
    • Rewrite all the dialouge(Like the page giving credit to the devs)(ties in with updating welcome databank article)
    • Vertical use
    • settings page
    @0x6A7232 , could I please have your feedback for the inventory and databank?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    (polish) AlterrA spins too fast on boot up for a bit. Circle loading bar needs smoothing. Text on PIN entry page is hard to read, maybe use white text, or white with black shadow, or something.

In the Databank, the collapsable parts on the left don't push the rest of the text down when they're expanded. Actually, there's something buggy with that, I can't click on any article.

Renaming any checklist item in the inventory tab renames them all.
    edited November 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    (polish) AlterrA spins too fast on boot up for a bit. Circle loading bar needs smoothing. Text on PIN entry page is hard to read, maybe use white text, or white with black shadow, or something.
    The alterra logo is meant to speed up, spin quickly, and then slow down and spin at a normal speed while the loading bar loads around it. This loading bar any better?. I've made the PDA ID text white.
    In the Databank, the collapsable parts on the left don't push the rest of the text down when they're expanded. Actually, there's something buggy with that, I can't click on any article.
    I'm not sure what's up with that, doesn't happen for me(the bug, I mean), could you check it again with the latest version?

Renaming any checklist item in the inventory tab renames them all.
    when attempting to fix that I discovered another bug in saving and loading inventorys, I'll try and fix it tomorrow.
    Now you can name pages! currently there are a few bugs with this, but I'm going to work on them tomorrow. The pings tab also has a button for starting journey recording, but that doesn't work yet.
    updated polish roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on(fix bugs)
    Bootup
    Map:
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys
    • beacon deletion functionality?
    Inventory:
    • Have nameable inventorys(link in with showing where the pages are)(fix bugs)
    Camera:
    databank
    • make the other items in the dropdown list move down
    Other:
    • Rewrite all the dialouge(Like the page giving credit to the devs)(ties in with updating welcome databank article)
    • Vertical use

edited November 2017
    Not a very large update today, I just finished up the main hud sprites, implemented some databank items moving down when one is opened(only works for the top 2, currently), and did a bit of work of the page system, so the Inventory is now nearly done for the polish stage!
    Updated roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on(fix bug with deleting pages, tweak positioning algorithim)
    Bootup
    Map:
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys
    Inventory:
    • Have nameable inventorys
    • fix save/load bug
    Camera:
    Databank:
    Other:
    • Vertical use
    @0x6A7232 , could I please have your feedback on the main HUD?
    edited November 2017
    I didn't do much today, I just tweaked the main HUD page shower positioning algorithim, but I've still got a bit of work to do on that, and I also added the ability to switch cameras in the photo tab, along with new sprites for the photos tab. I've also discovered a bug with saving/loading pictures. Tomorrow I'm not going to add anything new in, I'm just going to work on bugs. Updated polish roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    • Implement something to show you which page you are on(fix bug with deleting pages, tweak positioning algorithim)
    Bootup
    Map:
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys
    Inventory:
    • fix save/load bug
    Camera:
    • fix camera Save/load bug
    Databank:
    Other:
    • Vertical use
    no update today, because I am now at my wits end with unity's little quirks, and I've sent a bug report giving them rather a big bug with the editor, and I'm hoping they'll get back to me soon. I might be able to update tomorrow, but the bugs won't get fixed for quite some time.
    Quick update with No APK, I did a bit of work on vertical use, and the bootup sequence is now fully compatible with landscape and portrait mode, however, I...Um...Kinda broke the beacon system so I'll try to fix that tomorrow and post an APK.
    edited November 2017
    Smallish update today, I fixed the beacon system, so that's all fine now, I also implemented new dialouge, and finished the map's sprites! I also fixed a few bugs with the vertical databank. Updated roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    Bootup
    Map:
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys
    Inventory:
    • fix save/load bug
    • fix toggle name bug
    Camera:
    • fix camera Save/load bug
    Databank:
    Other:
    • Vertical use
      • databank
      • inventory
      • main HUD
      • bootup
      • camera
      • map
    @0x6A7232 , could I have your feedback on the vertical bootup sequence, and the vertical databank?
    I'll try to poke around at this, probably sometime tomorrow. Wish we could get some more Android testers *silent jab at anyone who is watching and waiting for v1.0 before trying*
    edited November 2017
    I'll try to poke around at this, probably sometime tomorrow. Wish we could get some more Android testers *silent jab at anyone who is watching and waiting for v1.0 before trying*

Yeah, I really should make a list of people who would be good at this(*Cackles evily for people who want to test will comment asking to be on that list, and That'll make life a lot easier for me(Don't know where to put this asterisk)*).
    edited November 2017
    Well, that method of recruitment didn't work. @BlueSpottedPepper , could you give me an up-to-date review please? @coderlingu , I remember some time ago you were talking about "jumping onto this wagon", I'd appreciate it if you did now, and no jumping is required. @jeod , want to join my dedicated(well the current members are is), helpful(can't think of a comment for this), and highly trained(in other stuff, probably but not in testing this) team of android testers?
    edited November 2017
    The databank(horizontally) is finished! the dropdown menus move down when a dropdown higher than it is used. I also tweaked the page-shower positioning algorithim, but that's still got a long way to go. Updated roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    Bootup
    Map:
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys
    Inventory:
    • fix save/load bug
    • fix toggle name bug
    Camera:
    • fix camera Save/load bug(find out what the bottom picture thinks it's doing, yell at it a bit, and then fix it)
    Databank:
    Other:
    • Vertical use
      • databank(make items move down)
      • inventory
      • main HUD
      • bootup
      • camera
      • map
    could whoever wants to please give me feedback on the databank?
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    I can help you but still have to wait until friday for computer
  • BlueSpottedPepperBlueSpottedPepper Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233656Members
    It's getting fixed and i can't download this on mobile
    edited November 2017
    It's getting fixed and i can't download this on mobile

You should be able to download something to unzip it. Previously @AkuMasterofMasters tried to download it. Here's the whole tale:
    When I download the file and try to open it it says I can't open it, I read that you need an app which app do I get?
    When I download the file and try to open it it says I can't open it, I read that you need an app which app do I get?

This one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rarlab.rar&hl=en (RAR for Android, from the guys who make WinRAR)
    Recursion wrote: »

Download it onto your computer. Unzip the APK. Sideload ONLY the APK onto your android device.
    jeod wrote: »
    I love how active and dedicated you are to this project!
    Have a good weekend!
    :)

I did have a good weekend. Thanks.
    Recursion wrote: »

Download it onto your computer. Unzip the APK. Sideload ONLY the APK onto your android device.

I've got it on my computer right now, also have my tablet hooked up to it with a USB, but how do I "sideload" it onto my tablet
    Much easier to use the RAR app and just open it from within that - it should prompt to install, although you might have to switch on "install apps from unknown sources" for this install (basically, allow installs from a location other than Google Play Store, normally it will prompt you to do so).

Sideloading on the other hand requires adb.exe (Android Debug Bridge) as far as I know, as well as possibly installing special drivers for your phone, and using the command prompt (adb is a command line tool), and going into a special recovery mode to allow adb to load the apk (am I correct @Recursion ?)

And just skip the bits about sideloading, and do as @0x6A7232 says.
    edited November 2017
    I can't download it from the link, pls halp
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Are you using Android? It won't work on IOS. (unless you jailbreak the device...I think)
    Nope, android. The app works, but i can't download the zip file on the mobile device
    edited November 2017
    I can't download it from the link, pls halp

if you have the google play app, download the unzip app from there. otherwise, can't help you.
    Are you using Android? It won't work on IOS. (unless you jailbreak the device...I think)
    Yes, It is only android, I'd need to pay 99$ a year to even convert unity's output files to an IPA.
    edited November 2017
    The vertical databank is now finished! it acts exactly like the horizontal databank, except with everything in a different place. I also fixed a small bug with photo placement, and I've uncovered an interesting piece of information about the photo save/load bug, but am no closer to fixing it. I've also fixed the toggle name bug, where naming one would cause all of them to be named. Updated roadmap:
    Main Hud:
    • Implement swiping
    Bootup
    Map:
    • List of beacons
    • Track journeys
    Inventory:
    • fix save/load bug
    • fix toggle name bug
    Camera:
    • fix camera Save/load bug(find out which picture is actually breaking)
    Databank:
      Other:
      • Vertical use
        • databank
        • inventory
        • main HUD
        • bootup
        • camera
        • map
      Nope, android. The app works, but i can't download the zip file on the mobile device

I use LoaderDroid for downloading, works good. If you download it again, (new version, say), then it will detec the existing file -
      choose "remove" to remove the old one and re-download the newest one. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zloy.android.downloader
      edited November 2017

I use LoaderDroid for downloading, works good. If you download it again, (new version, say), then it will detec the existing file -
      choose "remove" to remove the old one and re-download the newest one. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zloy.android.downloader

Or, you could probably just press on PDApp.zip via your web browser, and it'll get copied to your downloads folder, and then you can navigate to it using this:
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx&hl=en_GB
      However @0x6A7232 's suggestion will probably work just as well(Actually I'll have to check the stuff with the web browser. you might have to long-click it).
      EDIT: yep, you can just download it via chrome, however I would suggest using @0x6A7232 's idea, if LoaderDroid has a built-in zipmanager.
      edited November 2017
      The horizontal camera and inventory is now finished! I fixed the bug with saving in the inventory, fixed an issue I had not thought about previously when implementing save/load, and fixed the camera save/load bugs, also fixing a few bits and bobs with photo positioning( @0x6A7232 , (and @BlueSpottedPepper , if you have figured out how to download the app with your device), could you give me your feedback on them, and if you have time do some bug testing?)
      I've also sorted out the camera and inventory vertical use designs, but they aren't implemented yet(I'm hoping to implement them tomorrow, or friday).
      Updated roadmap:
      Main Hud:
      • Implement swiping
      Bootup
      Map:
      • List of beacons
      • Track journeys
      Inventory
      • fix save/load bug
      • fix toggle name bug
      Camera
      • fix camera Save/load bug(wonder why they suddenly fixed themselves)
      Databank
        Other:
        • Vertical use
          • databank
          • inventory
          • main HUD
          • bootup
          • camera
          • map
        I see progress, /me likes. I only had a chance to fire it up, so I don't really have feedback, but I'll try to play with it after work or something. Certain things seem to work a lot better (like using a distance scrollbar in the map instead of Seamoths). Also, although not complete, vertical use is possible now (some text messes up etc I'll get to that when I sit down and go through it).

Hmm. Anywho. That's all for now, keep it coming, Subnautica wasn't built in a day! (:
        zv1pfhu80es0.png
        I was able to test the game finally and this bug appeared in the vertical databank, plz fix. Also change the text colour back to white please, it's unreadable.
        edited November 2017
        I wouldn't use straight black or straight white - you need one with a shadow in the other. White shadow, or black shadow. Try White shadow and see if that works (less eye strain, should still be readable).

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
        edited November 2017
        Well, I downloaded this after 12 tries of trying to unzip the files.

But I realized that I haven't followed this thread as closely as I should have.

So... what is the main purpose of the app?
        Skope wrote: »
        Well, I downloaded this after 12 tries of trying to unzip the files.

But I realized that I haven't followed this thread as closely as I should have.

So... what is the main purpose of the app?

It simulates the PDA in normal mode on a tablet
        I wouldn't use straight black or straight white - you need one with a shadow in the other. White shadow, or black shadow. Try White shadow and see if that works (less eye strain, should still be readable).

I'll try to implement shadow.
        zv1pfhu80es0.png
        I was able to test the game finally and this bug appeared in the vertical databank, plz fix. Also change the text colour back to white please, it's unreadable.

Most strange, I'll have a look at it tomorrow.