• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited October 2017
    Posting this here as well:
    kmbapxe3b18g.png
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Posting this here as well:
    kmbapxe3b18g.png

I think I can certainly say that one of the ingredients for it will be nickel
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    Good old nickle. Pain in the butt to get while a Ghost Leviathan bumps your Cyclops around lol.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Shouldn't the depth increase defend against reapers, as they put pressure on your sub, and the PDA says "warning: pressures can exceed seamoth crush depth levels"?
  • KurasuKurasu Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231322Members
    I think the nerf to solar and buff to bio is going to encourage people to build their first base in the shallows (or shallow-ish, depending on how hard the dropoff is) and move on from there.

I almost always build my first base in the grassy plains or the crash zone nowadays; as long as the solar panels still reach that deep, I should be fine.

As long as whatever weird problem is going on with the bioreactor and solar panel apparently not wanting to play nicely togehter is fixed, that is. :P
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    edited October 2017
    Kurasu wrote: »
    I almost always build my first base in the grassy plains or the crash zone nowadays; as long as the solar panels still reach that deep, I should be fine.
    From testing, Solar is decent down to 100m depth or so. It's at 50% there, but that's still pretty good. A single panel still out-generates a bioreactor at that depth, even if only holds about 1/6 as much charge.

Edit: I feel the need to clarify that this may not be the final depth ratio for solar. The total-charge nerf didn't get fully implemented yet (it's buggy and half-implemented), so the "harsh drop-off" may not be fully in place either.
    Jarin wrote: »
    From testing, Solar is decent down to 100m depth or so.

For a starting base, that's enough for me. I really just need enough for a battery charger and oxygen. :) And even the battery charger is going to be a 'later problem' since we have to find the shards for it.

I don't bother to build a moonpool until I have at least one bioreactor, usually, and I wouldn't build a water filtration without at *least* three energy sources (or one nuclear) usually.

• ericthelutheranericthelutheran Irmo, SC Join Date: 2017-10-13 Member: 233537Members
    Water filtration is WAAAAAY too energy greedy.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members

Water isn't supposed to be cheap
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members

adel_50 wrote: »

I agree! If you look at the energy requirements for modern day desalination plants, it's insane how much power they use.

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Bioreactors can keep up with water machines, now. I needed two reactors to keep up with one machine, but that's better than the 6 reactors I needed before.
    I feel like two reactors needing to keep up with one machine is a reasonable expenditure for a 'quality of life' machine. There are multiple ways to get water, and so water filtration isn't 'make or break', while still being valuable enough to want some around, and encouraging base power management rather than being a 'flash in the pan' is just about perfect.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited October 2017
    garath wrote: »
    adel_50 wrote: »

I agree! If you look at the energy requirements for modern day desalination plants, it's insane how much power they use.

Water desalination plants use large amounts of power because they're purifying enough water for a city. The water filtration machine in-game only produces a few liters of water per day.

If you look at this website, they have a picture of a hand-pumped water purifier for a life raft that produces water at a faster rate than the water filtration machine in the game.

Granted, the water filtration machine in the game also produces salt and boiling water takes a LOT more energy than pushing it through a reverse osmosis filter, but it's still using way too much power. As an aside, solar panels are way too powerful compared to everything else if just one panel can out-produce a bioreactor.

I think one of the fundamental problems is that there isn't really anything that logically requires a lot of power, so at least for the time being the devs have shoehorned the water filtration machine into the role of being a major power sink. It's a shame, since O2 production from water does require massive amounts of power, but we magically get it for free in the game as long as the base has even just a little power. That would have been a neat gating mechanic, forcing early bases to be near the surface so air could be brought down to the base using pipes or something similar until stronger power plants were unlocked. Hopefully mod support will be decent so someone can step in and put something like that in.

Some kind of base defense forcefields would have been great as well to create a safe zone in some of the more hostile environments and could have provided an incentive for a base with truly large power generation capabilities. Or even just having to generate the fuel for the rocket from seawater.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    I would absolutely be in favor of O2 generation requiring at least some power.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    I'd like if fish preparing was done on a stove. Which requires a fair bit of power. The Fab shouldn't be used for everything. Two versions of stove. A mini hot plate that works in pod 5. Than the full one that can cook fish and eggs over X amount of minutes. Make more to cook faster. More power is used up. I know this won't happen now. But post game release I'd like it. Minecraft has a smeltry and the basic crafting bench as two different things. I'd like more MPR machines that hook to the walls like Water filtration.
    @Olmy: I've got a better feel for the resource balance right now, and I have more agreement with increasing the silver considerably. Since gold has multiple areas it can spawn, and silver is relegated to the one single stone (which it shares with gold and lead), I am finding a big derth of it.

RNG was being evil with the necessary lead in my last game, but as time goes on, I'm getting a big stack of gold and lead, not a lot of silver, and I'm also noticing that lithium seems to be much, *much* less common than it used to be (unless you just moved it from the mushroom forest in favor of the shale outcroppings).
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    @Olmy: I've got a better feel for the resource balance right now, and I have more agreement with increasing the silver considerably. Since gold has multiple areas it can spawn, and silver is relegated to the one single stone (which it shares with gold and lead), I am finding a big derth of it.

RNG was being evil with the necessary lead in my last game, but as time goes on, I'm getting a big stack of gold and lead, not a lot of silver, and I'm also noticing that lithium seems to be much, *much* less common than it used to be (unless you just moved it from the mushroom forest in favor of the shale outcroppings).

There's not as much lithium as there used to be in the mushroom forest, but in the caves in the Lifepod 19 area, you can really stock up.
  • OlmyOlmy Join Date: 2003-05-08 Member: 16142Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Developer, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond

Raw lithium was reduced because it's pretty widely available in shale.