AWESOME new skin for the Subnautica Back End website

garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
Check it out here:

https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/

It looks A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

(This is the site where you can see what people write when they hit F8 and also see code check-ins and other cool stuff.)

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    a55ha5xoa64e.png
    naughty places

Anyways, with all these bugs you'd think the devs would push the release date back a month or two. There's some pretty serious ones in here. The ping marker distances, ping marker disappearances, grow bed issues, overlapping resources, spots in precursor bases where you can swim, blueprint research getting removed, and that aurora hull bug that everyone's posting about are proof that this game isn't ready for its full release yet.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017
    LOL. I saw that too 'naughty places'. LOL.

Yeah. I have no idea why they are so adamant to release on that date. In the "old" days before you could sell a game as Early Access, those dates were set in stone because you ran out of money from the advance by the publisher. So, you either met the deadline or worked for free until the game was actually released and money started rolling in. But with Subnautica having already sold more than 1.5 million copies, it's not like the DEVs will starve if the date is pushed back a bit.

• FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    57tf4gq3i2fv.png
    *Sigh...* God damnit...
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    edited September 2017
    *Sigh...* God damnit...
    Yep. I found one even more... "hilarious" - not only it insists on multiplayer, but he totally expects the devs to take time out of their busy schedule to email him and beg for his precious honest feedback. Geez.

vva2sf9eii9s.jpg

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    What the heck is DurangoOS?

https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/platforms/os

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durango_F-85
    The Durango F-85 was an early personal computer introduced in September 1978 by Durango Systems Corporation, a company started in 1977 by George E. Comstock, John M. Scandalios and Charles L. Waggoner, all formerly of Diablo Systems.[3][1][2] The F-85 could run its own multitasking operating system called DX-85M, which included an integral Indexed Sequential (ISAM) file system and per-task file locking, or alternatively CP/M-80.[4][5][1] DX-85M utilized a text configuration file named CONFIG.SYS five years before this filename was used for a similar purpose under MS-DOS/PC DOS 2.0 in 1983.

The F-85 used single-sided 5¼-inch 100 tpi diskette drives providing 480 KB utilizing a high-density 4/5 group coded encoding. The machine was using a Western Digital FD1781 floppy disk controller with 77-track Micropolis drives.[6] In later models this was expanded to a double-sided option for 960 KB (946/947 KB formatted[4][2][nb 1]) per diskette.[2][5][6][7]

Durango later dropped the "F-85" model name and adopted a user model system, with 700 being the entry model and 950 being the full-featured model.

Still later, they designed a 80186-/80286-based 16-bit system, the Durango "Poppy"; MS-DOS was selected as the entry operating system.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=939
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    *Sigh...* God damnit...
    Yep. I found one even more... "hilarious" - not only it insists on multiplayer, but he totally expects the devs to take time out of their busy schedule to email him and beg for his precious honest feedback. Geez.

vva2sf9eii9s.jpg

What are we waiting for? Create a new email address called "unknowndevs@Gmail.com", and then email him(For honest feedback. As opposed to dishonest feedback)!
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    garath wrote: »
    LOL. I saw that too 'naughty places'. LOL.

Yeah. I have no idea why they are so adamant to release on that date. In the "old" days before you could sell a game as Early Access, those dates were set in stone because you ran out of money from the advance by the publisher. So, you either met the deadline or worked for free until the game was actually released and money started rolling in. But with Subnautica having already sold more than 1.5 million copies, it's not like the DEVs will starve if the date is pushed back a bit.
    a55ha5xoa64e.png
    naughty places

Anyways, with all these bugs you'd think the devs would push the release date back a month or two. There's some pretty serious ones in here. The ping marker distances, ping marker disappearances, grow bed issues, overlapping resources, spots in precursor bases where you can swim, blueprint research getting removed, and that aurora hull bug that everyone's posting about are proof that this game isn't ready for its full release yet.

I do see where you guys are coming from but there's a thing you guys must know or keep it in mind these issues that you see are not hard to fix these are visual errors and they're the easiest things to fix now for the disappearing terrain pieces that's visual and design and sometimes performance issues so rest assured that these issues are going to be fixed before release
    @adel_50 I hope you’re right about them being able to fix all the issues by launch. But I am not quite so hopeful. Some of the issues may be large issues with the core of their code requiring MONTHS to fix rather than just days. For example, the game still continues to drop the frame rate to near zero every ten to fifteen minutes of gameplay. That is a pretty big issue. Is this happening only because the graphics aren’t optimized in certain areas? Or, does it happen because there are too many fish being rendered at once only in certain areas? Or is it because of processing of the interaction between the player and various game elements? Etc.

Another big issue is the game loses track of progress made finding blueprint pieces. This also is a pretty big deal in the game. Why is that happening? Shouldn’t an issue like that be ironed out sooner than just a month from launch?

What about the issue that occurs as you are moving through the ocean and suddenly the game catches up with you and decided to “draw in” the missing terrain features around and on top of you? Suddenly, you find yourself in the middle of a wreck. Or, you crash into a mushroom. Again, is this a problem with just that one wreck or one mushroom? Or, is this a larger issue than just optimizing graphics in only a tiny handful of places in the game?

edited September 2017
    @0x6A7232 I would guess Durango is XBox since we know the game is out for that platform and don’t see it on the list there.

https://kotaku.com/5885539/the-next-xbox-is-code-nameddurango
    edited September 2017
    @adel_50 I hope you’re right about them being able to fix all the issues by launch. But I am not quite so hopeful. Some of the issues may be large issues with the core of their code requiring MONTHS to fix rather than just days. For example, the game still continues to drop the frame rate to near zero every ten to fifteen minutes of gameplay. That is a pretty big issue. Is this happening only because the graphics aren’t optimized in certain areas? Or, does it happen because there are too many fish being rendered at once only in certain areas? Or is it because of processing of the interaction between the player and various game elements? Etc.

Another big issue is the game loses track of progress made finding blueprint pieces. This also is a pretty big deal in the game. Why is that happening? Shouldn’t an issue like that be ironed out sooner than just a month from launch?

What about the issue that occurs as you are moving through the ocean and suddenly the game catches up with you and decided to “draw in” the missing terrain features around and on top of you? Suddenly, you find yourself in the middle of a wreck. Or, you crash into a mushroom. Again, is this a problem with just that one wreck or one mushroom? Or, is this a larger issue than just optimizing graphics in only a tiny handful of places in the game?

For the first part frame rate drops are a problem caused by two things

1-the amount of operations that your computer have to do in every frame
    And the amount of textures,terrain,visual effects,sprits,etc

-The visual stuff can be fixed either by reducing the amount of detail they have or by getting rid of unwanted parts the model (reducing polygons,removing interior parts of the model)

-For the code some operations doesn't have to be done every single frame
    And that's basically optimizes the code

2-for the second part let's define the meaning of bug: it's an error in a certain feature or a mechanic caused by either an incomplete code or by misplaced code or by another line of code interference so that can be fixed easily and the devs will get it eventually

3-pop up is a common issue mostly in early access survival games (also depends on the power of the engine used) so why pop up happenes?

Well lets take wrecks for example the computer needs to load the wreck's physics,model,interior,textures,loot slots(crates,fragments,etc) and so on now the wrecks aren't the issue here is the terrain's textures obraxis mentioned before if I'm not mistaken that they had like 7 or 6 gigabytes of textures (maybe more or less) so the terrain is the big problem here and that's going to change in the coming months cuz I'm sure they can get rid of some textures without harming the look of the terrain and plants and so on.

So after explaining all of this I hope that i made you comfortable with subnautica releaseing this October if not well all i can say is trust the devs that they will give you an amazing experience in subnautica

@adel_50 You didn't tell me anything I didn't know already. So, nope, you did absolutely nothing to make me comfortable all this will be fixed by October 31.
    @adel_50 You didn't tell me anything I didn't know already. So, nope, you did absolutely nothing to make me comfortable all this will be fixed by October 31.

Well then the devs can take it from here and morph i see you there buddy
    Release date has been pushed back to Jan 2018. So, that gives them a bit more time to work on stuff.
    Here is another funny one I saw... Please send me a message as soon as you can... :)

I scribbled out his name because I'm so nice. :)

h9y4ib5zdhtj.png

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited September 2017
    Here are my favs:
    Apparently, this guy throws money at ghost levithians to keep them away.
    p4pw6t2el657.png
    He signs all his posts like this.
    2cf4lhd20a9b.png
    NEWS FLASH! LUKE SKYWALKER DISCOVERS SALT IS WHITE!
    z15qy2vonzhk.png
    Oh god...
    91kg8jlk9d2a.png
    Better than writing nothing at all, i guess.
    hmsiqkpl8ptr.png
    Who woulda thunk it?
    dwcapxtthj2r.png
    Obraxis, ban SeaDragon, he is using noclip hax
    42haf3zmh04u.png