v1.0 release should get pushed back, not polish features

13»

Comments

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I'm especially concerned about the part saying that time is going to be instead spent on "expansion packs". Are these going to be paid DLC's? Perhaps the scummiest plague on the gaming industry is pushing out a broken and content-devoid game then putting out a bunch of DLC's filled with all the features that belonged in the base game in the first place. I think we should all be fully prepared to review bomb the game if they pull that, as that is totally unacceptable.

If they are simply free additions to the game, then that's not as bad, but it still seems like a way to boost sales on a game that isn't actually any good due to massive gamebreaking bugs.

There will be paid expansion packs, but they've said they're going to make them worth it, and it won't be things that should've been in the game already, just extra stuff. There will also be other small updates along side them that will be free, which might add little features like creature riding.

And you can be so certain of this how?

And don't say "the dev's said so", because it doesn't matter how crappy a product someone is selling, they're going to tell you it's worth it.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited September 2017
    They've said before on the discord on multiple occasions that there will be both large expansion packs and small free updates. I don't really see why they'd change that.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    edited September 2017
    They've said before on the discord on multiple occasions that there will be both large expansion packs and small free updates. I don't really see why they'd change that.

That doesn't really address my concerns. I always assumed that there would be post-1.0 patches, and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that there will be paid DLC.

My concern was that development resources would be spent on paid DLC which added much needed content for making the base game enjoyable at all, and that major bugs like the aforementioned lighting issues would go unfixed in favor of things that make more money like DLC, and you haven't done much to make me more confident that that is not the case, and the dev posts shown previously are setting off alarm bells.
    Yeah that does worry me a lot.
  • Quiet_BlowfishQuiet_Blowfish Join Date: 2017-09-11 Member: 232955Members
    @Morph_Guy

Something quite disturbing just happened to your face
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    @Morph_Guy

Something quite disturbing just happened to your face

Naaah... His face has always looked that way, he just took of the mask he was wearing.

< snicker >
    B)
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    @sayerulz

May I ask what the devs have posted that are setting off alarm bells? There are a lot of companies and some other dev teams I don't trust, but this team is not one of those. If they say they're going to do something, I believe they'll try their best to follow through. If it doesn't happen, it won't be because of them suddenly not caring or malicious 'we just wanted your monies' intent. I really cannot think of anything they've done or said that has worried me at all, so I'm honestly perplexed here.
    edited September 2017
    @Wheeljack (if I may answer for sayerutz). This is already a long thread, so here's my synopsis:

The alarm bells were set off by a series of replies that Cory ( a dev) recently made in the SN chat room - regarding the quality of the finished product when it's shipped next month (see quote below)

I don't think anyone is thinking they're malicious or uncaring (just the opposite generally). But I do think fans are worried that the final product isn't going to look good on release - or really ever get fixed.

None of us outside UWE really know what pressures the Devs may under to wrap up SN 0.1 'early'. Who knows, they may well have a huge loan-repayment due to an evil banker. Personally, I think the SN community is sympathetic alright. But the reality of bad reviews for a premature release mean low sales for Ver 0.1 and any of its further developments (e.g. the proposed expansions).

The worry then, is that this will draw to a close this much-loved project.

Cory responded to these types of requests on discord.
    fdmxl1pzqplk.png
    g9z8nq3xnz0t.png
    bwc8gimakyfy.png
    p6avqjfwn2x1.png
    q26jch56he1q.png
    3hhmqg32org8.png
    Personally I'd still like them to at least finish up most of what's already on trello, and I'd honestly be totally fine with no more content for a while if it means a nicer v1.0 release, but that's just me.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    This game is nowhere near No Man Sky type of bullshit. I think people are overreacting.
  • ThricebornPhoenixThricebornPhoenix Join Date: 2017-08-29 Member: 232713Members
    But I do think fans are worried that the final product isn't going to look good on release - or really ever get fixed.
    It's my understanding that software of even moderate complexity doesn't "really ever get fixed" (i.e., there will always be bugs) as a rule. Also, we've seen that some really buggy games can be outrageously successful - from the modern examples of Minecraft and Skyrim to the original Final Fantasy (which famously saved Square and spawned one of the biggest franchises in video games... and contains bugs that persist even in modern ports and remakes). "We just have to get it to a good enough point" may sound dismissive to some, but that's the way video game releases have always worked. The only alternative is the game never sees release because the bugs can't all be fixed before the team runs out of money, and then they can't make new stuff either.

And if you think the game right now is lacking "much needed content for making the base game enjoyable at all" (emphasis mine) then it doesn't really matter what they do because you'll never be satisfied.
    edited September 2017
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    This game is nowhere near No Man Sky type of bullshit. I think people are overreacting.

I don't think it's going to turn out like No Man's Sky. I'm just disappointed that they won't be fixing some of these glaring issues. But even with those issues I still think the game is a great experience and it will probably do decently well when v1.0 launches.
    edited September 2017
    And if you think the game right now is lacking "much needed content for making the base game enjoyable at all" (emphasis mine) then it doesn't really matter what they do because you'll never be satisfied.

I don't think that was me who said that bit (hopefully). I do agree that a more full development of it's already great writing can only be huge plus. But I wouldn't say I'm unsatisfied by a long shout. I think I paid about $20, got easily about $100 game enjoyment and still reaping value through these forums (and I haven't even started trolling yet!)

Thanks for those examples of successful games that had rough starts. That's probably been overlooked here.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I don't think that was me who said that bit (hopefully).

No, that sounds more like sayerulz *goes to check* Yup, nailed it:
    sayerulz wrote: »
    My concern was that development resources would be spent on paid DLC which added much needed content for making the base game enjoyable at all, and that major bugs like the aforementioned lighting issues would go unfixed in favor of things that make more money like DLC, and you haven't done much to make me more confident that that is not the case, and the dev posts shown previously are setting off alarm bells.

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    ... then it doesn't really matter what they do because you'll never be satisfied.

visfntry1qk9.gif

I really hope I don't get killed for this.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I still stand by my initial statement, after they revealed "Subnautica" back in the day...

"This game is all wet!"
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I still stand by my initial statement, after they revealed "Subnautica" back in the day...

"This game is all wet!"

... and yer jokes are all dried up.

:p