Censorship of dissenting ideas.

sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
Seriously? Closing a thread because people were criticizing the dev's decisions? The job of a forum moderator is to facilitate open and civil discourse, not shut it down because they don't agree with it.

This community has always been extremely close minded and prone to attacking anyone who criticizes the game in any way. And now the mods are in on it as well? Shame.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well they are the boss and they don't quite like that subject it seems. I was kinda enjoying the bit of going into the lore and theory-crafting about linking NS2 and Sub to each other though...

However what exactly do you think is going to happen to this thread :D
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    In the last thread, I meant to tease @Kouji_San... I was wondering how you achieved a thread count of 14,509. Now, I know.... DOUBLE Posts. :)

Just teasing you, of course.

Speaking of NS2, do you have any cool video links you can show me? I bought NS2 but haven't really played it much. I think I need to watch some Let's Play on YouTube. Thanks. :)

• sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Well they are the boss and they don't quite like that subject it seems. I was kinda enjoying the bit of going into the lore and theory-crafting about linking NS2 and Sub to each other though...

Oh, I know full well what's going to happen.

But being the boss grants the ability to exercise authority, not the right.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    garath wrote: »
    In the last thread, I meant to tease @Kouji_San... I was wondering how you achieved a thread count of 14,509. Now, I know.... DOUBLE Posts. :)

Just teasing you, of course.

Speaking of NS2, do you have any cool video links you can show me? I bought NS2 but haven't really played it much. I think I need to watch some Let's Play on YouTube. Thanks. :)
    Dammit you know my secret :o

Well, the NS2 related stuff I have linked up in my signature are mostly pre-release playtests and just some fun stuff... But I guess you could head to some of these gameplay and match channels to get an idea on the "how to play" part

https://www.ensl.org/forums/10 NSL forums
    http://www.youtube.com/user/animamiina
    http://www.youtube.com/user/blindNS
    @WasabiOne's WasabiCup
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD (official NS2 channel)
    1/4 Skim I participated in :D
    some TotalBiscuit shizzle (I slapped him around as an Onos at 17:42 :trollface: )

Keep in mind the post dates as some videos are quite old and so is the version of NS2 that is being shown :D

sayerulz wrote: »

True, still you're mistaking this for a democracy. Also "with great power comes great responsibility" xD
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

I do think that sometimes @Foxy is a tad bit overzealous, but that thread was getting a bit ridiculous. Constructive criticism is fine, and is usually handled pretty well around here. It's when some people just go "I see your reasoning, and it's stupid" that things get out of hand.
  • JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
    I hope you are discussing my post about wishing for more ability to defend oneself in the game, because they just closed that discussion. It was about my third post in this forum and I have to say I'm not at all impressed. I thought Hinterland moderators were oppressive and vindictive....yikes!
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    I called kouji-San a dick and got a warning. Just pointing that out
    JoE_Smash wrote: »
    I hope you are discussing my post about wishing for more ability to defend oneself in the game, because they just closed that discussion. It was about my third post in this forum and I have to say I'm not at all impressed. I thought Hinterland moderators were oppressive and vindictive....yikes!

It's just a few topics that are really frowned upon, for Subnautica that would be Mutliplayer (although we have a mod now) and the gun debate. For NS2 something about healthbars and balance discussions about certain things :tongue:
    This thread is now about how awesome NS2 is. So, it is guaranteed to stay open. :)

Thanks for the links @Kouji_San!
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Eh...

Theres a point when "constructive criticism" becomes pointless bickering wether its intentional or not. As stated above the whole "multiplayer and guns" debate is old and there is really no need for that kind of feedback right now.

Foxy is the only true guideing light and we all must worship it in its glory...
    79qdum4393zy.gif
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited September 2017
    I don't know if people were reading my discussion in the 1.0 release thread, but I'm just going to copy/paste it here as it's applicable. Suffice to say there's no reason that "pacifism" thread should have been closed, it was a peaceful discussion. Nobody was being offensive, nobody was being demanding, and there's no reason the thread couldn't be left quietly to play out on it's own. People should be allowed to discuss the same old issues if that's what makes them happy. We're not all veterans, either.

Anyway.
    2. The community needs to knock off the nonsense. Reading how these boards get, I'd be anxious to be done with the project and move on, too. We collectively need to stop with the nagging about things we know and have known are off the table. More vehicles, multiplayer, weapons, more creatures, area X is too (fill in random subjective complaint here), and the parade of "suggestions" that would involve completely rewriting core game elements - and then the inevitable flame wars that follow. Part of what drives a game development team is community energy, and when that community starts going sour, it saps your will to keep doing anything that would keep you heavily invested in that community...which means developing the game. There comes a point where the attitudes get to you and you just want the project over with so you can just say "sorry; game's finished, we won't be adding (blank) to it or making substantive changes." The multi-page arguments that have become commonplace are generally just ego wars that don't help the development process. If you really need to fight, do it in private. Productive debate is one thing; the endless "You're wrong because" "No, you're wrong because" gainsaying is another.

You know I love you but I have to disagree with a few things here. I feel you're putting far too much onus on this forum community when in reality we should have absolutely no bearing on the developer's motivation or lack thereof. Their motivation should come not from our verbal support but from the millions of dollars we have collectively given them in the hope (not guarantee, hope) that we end up with a decent game to play. They may only be legally obligated to deliver a bare minimum quality product, but morally they are certainly obligated to deliver the best product they are capable of producing. Their motivation should be all the support we've given financially, nothing more, nothing less. The support they receive here on the forums is an added bonus along with the feedback they require to make the game "better." And criticism (no matter how strong) on the same forums is part of the process.

If the community "starts going sour", as you put it, and that "saps your will... (to be) heavily invested and develop the game" (I'm paraphrasing) then that reeks of both immaturity and unprofessionalism, not to mention an inability to take criticism. If the community "goes sour" it's usually a very strong indicator that the developers haven't been listening to that community in the first place. The responsibility is theirs, and theirs alone. However, I'd like to think the developers in this particular case are far more professional than that.

Also, forums should be places for both healthy debate and yes, sometimes arguments. And never forget that one person's idea of what constitutes "toxic" is not the same as the next person's;

I just spent the last 2 weeks "jailed" (what ever that means) because I made clear my opinions on console gaming and the damage the console culture has done to gaming as a whole. It was made very clear that my opinions were not welcome, I was censored and punished. But this is a privately owned website and they have the absolute right to censor whatever they like and ban anything they like. I respect that, even though I happen to disagree and find it immoral.
    My point in bringing this up is that to others, including the forum mods, my opinions were toxic (not to mention potentially damaging to potentially console customers) so they made the decision to censor those opinions.
    But to me, the decision to censor those opinions was far more toxic, and creates a climate of fear where people are afraid to speak up lest they be punished. That's the world we live in IRL, and it's awful to see it leak into the online world too.

Anyway, that's a bit off topic, and I always respect your opinions @scifiwriterguy, I hope you know that. I just think forums are a place specifically designed for conflict and sharing opposing ideas. That's the entire point in their existence. It'd be boring and entirely pointless if we all agreed all the time.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @EnglishInfidel While I disagree to a certain extent, I do think you do have some good points, and I think you made an excellent, high-quality post.

Main difference being, while it's true the devs are driven by the money paid for their service, there's also an element of community that can drive people to excel above and beyond. As for the effect a toxic community has, you'll find most of your best and brightest idea and support people will begin avoiding the community, because they aren't interested in, to put it bluntly, pissing matches (when two or more people with opposing views have expressed their reasoning quite clearly, but won't shut up and move on, but instead resort to trench warfare).

The "pacifism" thread just got closed for absolutely no good reason; it was completely peaceable, no insults, no drama, no reason for it to be closed. It had strayed off topic, must like this thread now has, but that's how conversations usually work. It should be (in my opinion) encouraged, not suppressed. If people want to engage in "trench warfare" then so what?

Now instead of having a peaceful thread where old ideas are being rehashed, we have a closed thread, anti-censorship thread and a lot of annoyed community members. Which is the more toxic environment?

(Censorship, whether unfair or not, will always be more toxic than any community behaviour or action. Especially in the long run. Even if a bunch of racist, sexist homophobes suddenly populated the forums, their behaviour would be a small term problem and the hatred of the 99% of the population would soon drive them out. However, to censor them closes the door on freedom of speech for all. It serves no purpose other than punishing everyone for the actions of the few, and the negative impact will be felt for ever more, long after those undesirables have gone.)

I would strongly suggest that this sort of over-zealous, unreasonable censorship is far more likely to drive away the "best and brightest idea people" as those sorts of people are usually intelligent and thoughtful, and both respect and require the freedom to both "think out-loud" and follow the natural path of conversation.
    No free thinker has ever been in favour of censorship. The two ideas are absolutely opposed.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    edited September 2017
    Suffice to say there's no reason that "pacifism" thread should have been closed, it was a peaceful discussion. Nobody was being offensive, nobody was being demanding, and there's no reason the thread couldn't be left quietly to play out on it's own. People should be allowed to discuss the same old issues if that's what makes them happy. We're not all veterans, either.

I don't know. As far as I can recall, someone had asked for the ability to craft Pointed Sticks ingame. And we all know what happens when you get Pointed Sticks. :) No pays attention to the Threat From Fresh Fruit.

Can you imagine Subnautica if the Peepers could weaponize Marblemelon? No one would be safe!!!

Although that's might be more a tuber than a fruit. Still there's always the threat from Lantern Fruit! Certainly, it's not like it's worth eating that much.

[ Any discussion can get out of hand. We're here to have fun. Let's have fun, eh? :) ]

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Kinda like the melon gun from gmod?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2017
    ... and now for something totally irrelevant to this thread ...

(best views between 10pm - 6am local video time)

Just because I like Foxes.

B)
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    This thread is now officially both Answered and Off-topic.

Wowzers here come the memes.
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    ... and now for something totally irrelevant to this thread ...

(best views between 10pm - 6am local video time)

Just because I like Foxes.

B)

AWESOME! You rock!

Much better than boring TV. Foxes!!

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2017

Well we already have a meme thread too so now this thread is answered, off-topic, and a duplicate. :tongue:
    ability to defend oneself in the game

When in doubt, ram it with your seamoth. Works well enough for me, and when the time comes you can upgrade to the Perimiter Defense and later still the Prawn Drillarm. Oh and using the Propulsion Cannon and any nearby fish to use as ammo. Just need to get creative :)
    edited September 2017
    Rezca wrote: »

Well we already have a meme thread too so now this thread is answered, off-topic, and a duplicate. :tongue:

When in doubt, ram it with your seamoth. Works well enough for me, and when the time comes you can upgrade to the Perimiter Defense and later still the Prawn Drillarm. Oh and using the Propulsion Cannon and any nearby fish to use as ammo. Just need to get creative :)

Don't make me send you lot to the meme thread once more!
    giphy.gif
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Rezca wrote: »

Don't make me send you lot to the meme thread once more!
    giphy.gif

The safety reaper will drag you there if necessary
    2bqpepd2witx.png
    Do not resist it is for your own good!
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited September 2017
    Foxy wrote: »
    I just spent the last 2 weeks "jailed" (what ever that means) because I made clear my opinions on console gaming and the damage the console culture has done to gaming as a whole. It was made very clear that my opinions were not welcome, I was censored and punished. But this is a privately owned website and they have the absolute right to censor whatever they like and ban anything they like. I respect that, even though I happen to disagree and find it immoral.
    This comment was clearly a sarcastic joke, more a jab at PC master race culture than console users. It's clearly self-deprecating hypocrisy. I can accept the first "warning", but adding "warning" on top of "warnings" without any warning seems over the top. Especially when you're issuing them for what is so clearly not a serious post.

You're conflicting yourself again here.

The two posts are not conflicting and contradictory at all, no matter how cleverly you try to manipulate it. Sly as a fox, Foxy.

You're misquoting and misrepresenting two entirely separate comments by me and using them totally out of context. Come on dude, you're better than this amateur and low behaviour. You know full well the second comment was regarding an "insult" (which was clearly tongue in cheek sarcasm; acting like an upper class snob and calling console users "peasants"), and the second comment is regarding follow up posts in which my true opinions were made clear (I explained how console culture damages gaming as a whole).

And evidently, those opinions were not welcome. I accepted the consequence of the insult I made, the initial "warning" (which wasn't a warning at all, but never mind that now) but the follow ups I find harder to accept, not only because it's blatantly unreasonable to "warn" someone for one post and then immediately issue multiple follow up punishments for comments made hours before, at the same time as the initial comment.

"Citizen, I'm issuing you a warning because I noticed you have a busted tail light. Oh and I'm also issuing you another warning for having a busted tail light when I asked you to pull over. Oh and I see you still have a busted tail light, so here's a third warning. And when you leave, you'll still have a busted tail light so here's a fourth."

You have to make your mind up; was I "punished" for the first post, an insulting, albeit tongue-in-cheek comment... or was I punished for voicing my genuine opinions in follow up discussions?
    I feel as though it was both, and that anything beyond the first incident was extremely unfair. If you're now admitting I was only punished for the first post, then why was I issued multiple "warnings" and not just one for the perceived "insult"? Which is it?

It doesn't really matter any way, it's done with and I no longer really care, as like I said previously, this isn't a free place, it's not subject to fairness and the owners of the site can moderate how they feel fit.

Regardless, please don't misquote me and take my comments out of context. In fact, don't quote private messages in the public forum at all. That's the one censorship rule we could all agree should be enforced. Shame on you.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    As I already explained to you, the entire issue was that something that you claim started as a joke turned into vitriolic attacks directed at consoles. Xbox Subnautica customers have not had an easy ride over the last few months, at no fault of their own or that of the devs. They're a tremendously patient bunch and they absolutely don't deserve to have their platform bashed in the manner you did on the official boards. I took exception to you claiming you've been immorally censored and punished and I'd take exception again.
    edited September 2017
    At least now I know for certain. I was censored and punished for my opinions which were perceived as "vitriolic attacks" even though I did not attack nor insult any person individually, I did not curse, or abuse any one, but instead simply made it very clear how I feel about console gaming as a whole. Let's face it, my opinions run counter to the narrative the "ruling class" of the forum want to promote and so those views must be suppressed.

This pretty much confirms everything I've said in this thread. There's nothing to be done about it, but it's nice to know for certain what kind of rule we're living under.

Anyway, moving on. I've got nothing against you personally Foxy, believe it or not I think you do an admirable job for the most part, and it's not you I dislike but the system. As an advocate for complete freedom of speech and the abolishment of censorship across the board this kind of thing is a pet concern whenever I run into it. But I think I've made my stance perfectly clear now, so I'm willing to drop it entirely.
    Well, I'm not dropping anything. So far my view that mods are taking it upon themselves to decide what opinions are and are not permitted to be voiced on the forums in a civil manner has only been further reinforced.

What sort of logic is it anyway that when paying customers have asked for the same thing over and over and over again, or that the same debate has ensued over and over again, means that there is nothing to discuss? It means the exact opposite. The fact that many, many people have asked for weapons or changes in how players and mobs interact many, many times means that there is clearly a problem there, and the fact that a consensus has never been reached means that more discussion on the subject is clearly needed.
    edited September 2017
    Well, I'm not dropping anything. So far my view that mods are taking it upon themselves to decide what opinions are and are not permitted to be voiced on the forums in a civil manner has only been further reinforced.

What sort of logic is it anyway that when paying customers have asked for the same thing over and over and over again, or that the same debate has ensued over and over again, means that there is nothing to discuss? It means the exact opposite. The fact that many, many people have asked for weapons or changes in how players and mobs interact many, many times means that there is clearly a problem there, and the fact that a consensus has never been reached means that more discussion on the subject is clearly needed.
    As much as I agree with you whole heartedly, I can't help but return to the fact that this is not a state or country, but a privately owned website. There's no freedom of speech laws here, and when you joined the forum you effectively signed away your right to not be censored. (I haven't read the small print in this particular case but it's standard forum/online use stuff.) This is why it's a question of morality, and not legality, because legally there's nothing we can do to stop them censoring whatever they want.
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    zgnu96mc3clc.jpg
    Isn't this ironic, offensive and obviously insulting post censor-worthy? I don't want him to be censored of course, but do you see how this works? Where does it end?
    edited September 2017
    garath wrote: »
    How long will you keep trying to insist your voice is the majority voice on the subject of adding more weapons to the game? It isn't. Just because you complain the loudest or most often doesn't make it so. Lots of us like the game just the way it is.

This is a closed subject. Play the game as is or don't play it. Those are your only two choices.

I don't know how your view of reality got so skewed, but you're just putting words in my mouth. Furthermore, the loudest voices have long been the ones saying "nu weapons, y r u a mass murderer, devs r perfuct and they said no, so fack off!11!"
    And just because we are "paying customers", that does not automatically gives more rights to dictate the design choices and development path. We can voice our opinions and concerns in a constructive manner, but in the end it is still entirely up to the devs to decide where to take the game.

I would agree with this, except apparently we can't voice our opinions and concerns in a constructive manner. At this point, weapons is just one possible solution to the huge and ongoing problem of the game being no fun.

I doubt that there are all that many people who want to play a game where whenever you encounter an enemy, you have to either:

A- just avoid it's immense aggro range, pretty much cutting off large sections of the map with overlapping aggro circles.

B- stop what your doing every minuet or so to exploit bad pathfinding to lose whatever is after you for a moment, or poke it with something sharp to get rid of it for a similarly short time, so you can go back to exploring or whatever.

C- Spend the next half hour of your life circle strafing and knifing it to death.

None of these are fun, and since decoys, torpedoes, Ect. don't work, there are your only options, and this is something that shows no signs of changing.

But, apparently we aren't allowed to discuss the massive flaw in the game, no matter how civil a manner we do it in.
This discussion has been closed.