Kinda pissed off..

TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
So I have been playing the game for years since the start really, and I have avoided till now finishing the story and even going to the deep lava zone now that that content is in I felt the time was right..

I have to say I am utterly pissed at how ineffectual the Cyclops is , I mean its utterly usless, this is the end game ? are the devs kidding ?, It's easier to just scoot through the whole zone with a seaglide, Oh hay super huge monster that should eat me in one bite, Phsyc im to fast in my epic sea glide. this is pathetic, I wasted all the time build and upgrading my prawn and sub, went through hell getting it down there with it being my first time and not looking at any guides I think I got lost like 6 times, finally make it only to find three kings waiting for, bam down goes my prawn, bam down goes my sub with everything in it. wasted.

I have lived through all the bugs this game has flung, but this is the first time I have ever left game and in a fit of anger deleted my save..

@Dev's the sub should'nt explode into nothing, let it sink to the bottom and flood until the player can make repairs, dont let all that hard work and time just get flushed down the toilet.

And make the damn thing stronger when in the lava zone it makes no sense that we have this huge base sub and yet to clear the end game your actually better off just flying through it super fast in a damn sea glide.

come on.

Comments

• TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    did a test, they even attack it if the player is not in it so you cant even hide it some where and swim in for fear they wander over to it and blap it. this is kinda stupid.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2017
    I agree that the sub shouldn't explode into nothingness, it should be salvageable and that would be a neat addition either way. What does "don't get wrecked" on this page mean though. Is that salvage part already in game as well? Are you actually on the latest release?

From what I understand, not actually having played the game beyond early game, to not spoiler myself etc... Which isn't really working :D But even with my lack of actually knowing what is needed during end game... Aren't you supposed to go down there using "silent running" mode, so you don't get attacked by the dragons?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    First off, welcome back! Nice to see your profile pic back on the forums.

Second, even though you can't make the Cyclops, when it breaks down, it gives a lot of resources. My Cyclops, after surviving all the way to the ALZ, was destroyed mere meters from the tunnel leading back to the Lost River. (This has nothing to do with the topic, I'm just sad.)
    bmlb76g1kjel.jpg

Anyway, it was destroyed, and I began to salvage what I could, and what I found was amazing. I found 13 pieces of Scrap Metal, and 4 computer chips. This is more than enough Titanium for an entire Cyclops, not to mention enough computer chips to make several devices (Late-game Seamoth shtuff.)

And the great fact that you can go in and salvage the upgrades and power cells in the Cyclops is a huge plus. It also makes a great hiding place from the Dragon. It can't bite what's already dead, am I right?

A shame about the enameled glass. It should be spawnable from the wreck. Technically, you can almost completely rebuild an entire late-game Cyclops from scratch using your destroyed Cyclops as a base.

And, I'm not sure how you got past a Dragon in a Seaglide. I've tried that multiple times (I wanted to see if it would work) and the Dragon ate me every time. So, either you were lucky, or you and the Sea Dragon are best buds...

...how'd ya do it?
    My sub just popped and vanished I couldnt salvage anything, all those storage chests full of stuff(I was planning to buld a base down there) all gone poof into thin air.

As for the seaglide honestly its nuts no way in hell should that be a thing and yet it is, safer to just glide down than to actually sub, thats mental.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited September 2017
    Taiphoz wrote: »
    did a test, they even attack it if the player is not in it so you cant even hide it some where and swim in for fear they wander over to it and blap it. this is kinda stupid.

Nothing can become aggressive towards or even damage the Cyclops at all when you're out of it.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    My sub just popped and vanished I couldnt salvage anything, all those storage chests full of stuff(I was planning to buld a base down there) all gone poof into thin air.

As for the seaglide honestly its nuts no way in hell should that be a thing and yet it is, safer to just glide down than to actually sub, thats mental.

Shouldn't have just vanished. The lava might have eaten it...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The Cyclops should leave you with a lot of Titanium, and you can salvage all the upgrades and a bunch of other stuff.

Sounds like you encountered an edge-case bug. Sorry about that.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited September 2017
    Skope wrote: »

And, I'm not sure how you got past a Dragon in a Seaglide. I've tried that multiple times (I wanted to see if it would work) and the Dragon ate me every time. So, either you were lucky, or you and the Sea Dragon are best buds...

...how'd ya do it?

I've just gotten back into playing Subnautica, and while I haven't reached the Dragon Zones just yet on the PC, I was streaming for some friends on the xbox version for a few hours and would do just that with the seaglide. After spending some time harassing the guy in the Lava Lakes my deaths were attributed to:

Boiling Water - 4 times
    Dragon Fireballs - 5 times
    Nearby hostile fauna - 3 times
    Drowning - 3 times
    Getting eaten - 0 times

This was all just swimming around teasing the guy with a seaglide and ultra high capacity air tanks. Even made a few runs to and from the facility and my base on the other side of the lakes; causes of death were always everything but being eaten.

I actually tried to make it eat me after a point, and it never did. Bit me twice for a good chunk of health, and killed me with fireballs a couple times, but it never once ate me like it used to. Either that's "Xbox Weirdness" or something got changed - but I was a lil disappointed. It was a unique death there, and I think that'd it'd be neat to see that carried over to the seamoth/prawn too - if its grapple-and-bite attack would otherwise destroy the vehicle, it'd just up and swallow it. The thing would blow up either way and you'd be screwed, so why not have a unique animation to go along with it to congratulate you on your death?
    good to know that I should have gotten salvage, Given the sub is used as a mobile base and the player can potentially be a long long way from any other bases, having the sub totally blow up is a bad thing, even with the salvage it leads to dead man walking situations and those are never good.

Must be another solution that can still give the player that "Oh Shit its sunk" moment while still allowing them the chance to repair their sub in situ allowing them to continue on..

Based on my situation even if the sub did die properly and I had something to salvage I would still have been stuck in the ALZ with little air, no builder and no way to survive, god forbid I salvaged and then died and lost it all this is a bad design I hope you address it before release.
    There probably won't be anymore major Cyclops changes before v1.0, as they've already done so many patches and updates to it, and have pushed flooding back to after v1.0.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    good to know that I should have gotten salvage, Given the sub is used as a mobile base and the player can potentially be a long long way from any other bases, having the sub totally blow up is a bad thing, even with the salvage it leads to dead man walking situations and those are never good.

Must be another solution that can still give the player that "Oh Shit its sunk" moment while still allowing them the chance to repair their sub in situ allowing them to continue on..

Based on my situation even if the sub did die properly and I had something to salvage I would still have been stuck in the ALZ with little air, no builder and no way to survive, god forbid I salvaged and then died and lost it all this is a bad design I hope you address it before release.

The cyclops is intended to be a mobile base not sure what you guys want more out of it but it's going to remain like this for a while if you don't like it just don't build it it's there to help you being more efficient in what you do away from your base(fabricator,medkiits,supplies of water and food) but if you don't like it no one is forcing you to build it it's your choice and we all respect that and you're not the only one complaining about the cyclops many others have.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited September 2017

...how'd ya do it?

I had the Oxygen cheat enabled when I used the Seaglide to go from the tree cove past the Sea Dragon to the tank. I wonder if that cheat provides invulnerability. I didn't think I had any other cheats enabled. I swam straight to the tank. The fire attacks from the Dragon seemed cosmetic rather than actual damaging attacks. I didn't see the Dragon remotely attempting to eat me. He also seemed mostly cosmetic. So, it is very strange to hear you say he ate you every time.

Clearly infinite oxygen means you can take an ultra straight path past the Dragon. But even still... I didn't even take damage. Very strange. Maybe a glitch.

edited September 2017
    garath wrote: »

...how'd ya do it?

I had the Oxygen cheat enabled when I used the Seaglide to go from the tree cove past the Sea Dragon to the tank. I wonder if that cheat provides invulnerability. I didn't think I had any other cheats enabled. I swam straight to the tank. The fire attacks from the Dragon seemed cosmetic rather than actual damaging attacks. I didn't see the Dragon remotely attempting to eat me. He also seemed mostly cosmetic. So, it is very strange to hear you say he ate you every time.

Clearly infinite oxygen means you can take an ultra straight path past the Dragon. But even still... I didn't even take damage. Very strange. Maybe a glitch.

Oxygen only disables oxygen depletion, it doesn't affect how creatures react to you. So he's probably just getting very unlucky, or more likely: There's nothing else nearby for the Sea Dragon to attack.

See the big problem for me is that there's so much other life in the caves he shows up in. I see him spending so much time attacking that poor lava lizard and then stopping to wreck a passing fish, then patroling happily and ignoring my presence. I have to go out of my way to get senpai the sea dragon to notice me, and most of the time he'll just swat me away or fireball me.

I like that he has (or had?) an animation of you being swallowed when his biting attack does you in, it was a unique touch to something that otherwise just has you flailing in the water as everything goes dark. Now you're flailing in a dragon's mouth... As everything goes dark :lol: But in seriousness, it'd be awesome to see that extended to the seamoth/exosuit if the biting attack would otherwise have destroyed it. I mean you'd be out in the open in boiling water, a dwindling oxygen supply, and no vehicle. You're screwed either way when it gets blown up at that depth, and to the dragon, that vehicle might just have been some fish with hard scales. It's got it weakened and has it in its mouth, why not just swallow it?

On that note though, post-1.0 it'd be cool to see unique death animations depending on how you died, or even a "cinematic camera" that'd show your character for a few seconds from a third person view before finally doing the fade-to-black effect. We'd be able to see our brave diver in his suit and all the detail they put into the meshes, and who knows - maybe some of them might even be entertaining to watch!
    I was able to recover my save and thankfully it was from before my sub died, this time i sat next to it outside to see if anything would touch it, some of those larva things attached to it while I was not in it is that supposed to happen ?, also can they kill it ? I assumed they just drained the battery.

I actually kinda want to spawn a second for science and let it get blown up to see if the salvage thing works, how does that system handle things in the sub like lockers and fabricators and the like?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members

I made it all the way to the Alien Thermal Plant last night, and I had to spend a lot of time inside the structure with my Exosuit. At one point I even had to use the portal to fast travel to the Defense Array, return to my base to get more supplies, and fast travel back to the ATP. When I finally finished up and traveled back out to my Cyclops I was amused to see it was still intact with no damage, as the local fauna didn't seem interested in it (likewise Warpers won't attack the Exosuit if I'm not inside it now). In fact, the Sea Dragon Leviathan swimming around the ATP would occasionally swim into the Cyclops and it never took any damage. :lol:

While we're talking about the Cyclops, there's a few things I'm curious about with this Stable update:

1. Why does the Cyclops Shield cover only the bubble dome section of the ship, yet it somehow magically prevents damage across everything it doesn't cover? I get the devs probably don't want to animate something that players likely won't ever see, but how about a compromise: While active, the bubble gets the tesselation effect and the rest of the vessel glows blue, to show that it's actively protected by the Shield?

2. Also when the Shield is active and you leave the Cyclops, the woomy sound effect persists around you no matter how far away you are from the Cyclops... the sound effect gets old pretty fast this way.

3. For reasons unknown my Cyclops isn't displacing water properly and pretty much doesn't properly exist in the world. What I mean is that when on the surface, this happens and the water literally cuts through the sub. When underwater it's not as noticeable, but the 'godrays' that happen from sunlight displacement through water shows up when I look into the distance of the Cyclops. Also, certain elements (Creepvines, Ghost Vines, schools of 2D fish) will clip through the Cyclops unhindered...

4. As I mentioned above, the Cyclops Shield can stay up indefinitely without using power, yet the Silent Running mode will drain the Power Cells like nobody's business. Why is this a thing? Silent Running is when a submarine shuts down all non-essentials and spins down the engine, so that the sub moves much slower and generates less noise - but also as a side effect it's using much less power. If anything I would swap the status values: SR uses no energy while Shields drain power... or keep it like it is now, but the power reserve takes huge hits dependent on how much damage is negated by the Shields.

I would probably have more to question, but in this playthrough I'm not sure where to go to next in the game. The last time I was down in the ALZ I had signal pings for both the Alien Thermal Plant and the Disease Research Facility (although the latter wasn't implemented at that time). This time I didn't get signals for either place for some reason; I found the ATP by vague recollection after nearly an hour of exploration. I really don't want to try to blunder my way to the DRF, and I'd rather not use the Subnautica wiki to take advantage of information the game itself didn't provide me... :expressionless:
    The whole power system on the sub is confusing to be honest.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited September 2017
    I agree there's a lot of improvements that can be done with the sub. But the OP's problems sounds really bad. What's dumb, I just entered the ILZ for the first time, in the new ghost update. I literately parked the cyclops next to the main entrance of the alien power center. I left the engine on level 1 and silent mode on. The sea dragon completely ignored my Cyclops. It floated above me all the time. And it attacked me a few times in the prawn and Seaglide. But nothing major. Is the AI stupid? Does it randomly over aggressively attack sometimes. Other times it just derps around. I honestly suggest you save a lot of times. I do that. So if anything major happens. A bug or a stupid death. Just reload. There's really no good way to recover this far down in the map. I've learned the hard way that docking the PRAWN suit into the cyclops has a chance for it to be pulled into the ground. Honestly, this wouldn't happen if we had better defensive weapons in the game. That's the issue. Bosses end up being instant screw ups. If they decide to actually focus on you. If they don't: Happily park the cyclops and head on in.

effbmw7qqs9c.png
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »

I made it all the way to the Alien Thermal Plant last night, and I had to spend a lot of time inside the structure with my Exosuit. At one point I even had to use the portal to fast travel to the Defense Array, return to my base to get more supplies, and fast travel back to the ATP. When I finally finished up and traveled back out to my Cyclops I was amused to see it was still intact with no damage, as the local fauna didn't seem interested in it (likewise Warpers won't attack the Exosuit if I'm not inside it now). In fact, the Sea Dragon Leviathan swimming around the ATP would occasionally swim into the Cyclops and it never took any damage. :lol:

While we're talking about the Cyclops, there's a few things I'm curious about with this Stable update:

1. Why does the Cyclops Shield cover only the bubble dome section of the ship, yet it somehow magically prevents damage across everything it doesn't cover? I get the devs probably don't want to animate something that players likely won't ever see, but how about a compromise: While active, the bubble gets the tesselation effect and the rest of the vessel glows blue, to show that it's actively protected by the Shield?

2. Also when the Shield is active and you leave the Cyclops, the woomy sound effect persists around you no matter how far away you are from the Cyclops... the sound effect gets old pretty fast this way.

3. For reasons unknown my Cyclops isn't displacing water properly and pretty much doesn't properly exist in the world. What I mean is that when on the surface, this happens and the water literally cuts through the sub. When underwater it's not as noticeable, but the 'godrays' that happen from sunlight displacement through water shows up when I look into the distance of the Cyclops. Also, certain elements (Creepvines, Ghost Vines, schools of 2D fish) will clip through the Cyclops unhindered...

4. As I mentioned above, the Cyclops Shield can stay up indefinitely without using power, yet the Silent Running mode will drain the Power Cells like nobody's business. Why is this a thing? Silent Running is when a submarine shuts down all non-essentials and spins down the engine, so that the sub moves much slower and generates less noise - but also as a side effect it's using much less power. If anything I would swap the status values: SR uses no energy while Shields drain power... or keep it like it is now, but the power reserve takes huge hits dependent on how much damage is negated by the Shields.

I would probably have more to question, but in this playthrough I'm not sure where to go to next in the game. The last time I was down in the ALZ I had signal pings for both the Alien Thermal Plant and the Disease Research Facility (although the latter wasn't implemented at that time). This time I didn't get signals for either place for some reason; I found the ATP by vague recollection after nearly an hour of exploration. I really don't want to try to blunder my way to the DRF, and I'd rather not use the Subnautica wiki to take advantage of information the game itself didn't provide me... :expressionless:

There're times where certain things don't have to make sense for gameplay purposes
    Like turn on silent running and keep going what's the worst the could happen

The shield not depleting the power is a bug and it should be fixed by now

So as mentioned above for gameplay purposes certain things doesn't have to make sense
    Rezca wrote: »
    On that note though, post-1.0 it'd be cool to see unique death animations depending on how you died, or even a "cinematic camera" that'd show your character for a few seconds from a third person view before finally doing the fade-to-black effect. We'd be able to see our brave diver in his suit and all the detail they put into the meshes, and who knows - maybe some of them might even be entertaining to watch!

There was a trello card on different death animations depending on what life form killed you that recently got pushed back to post v1.0.
    https://trello.com/c/uzInOVbw/6502-cine-shark-bite-implementation
    https://trello.com/c/IyRxqpR4/6497-shark-bites-cine-implement
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    Rezca wrote: »

There was a trello card on different death animations depending on what life form killed you that recently got pushed back to post v1.0.
    https://trello.com/c/uzInOVbw/6502-cine-shark-bite-implementation
    https://trello.com/c/IyRxqpR4/6497-shark-bites-cine-implement

I can understand them being pushed back; while interesting they don't really add anything to the core gameplay, so they'd just be taking up precious development time that could better be applied elsewhere (Like bugfixing and optimizing)
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    It's easier to just scoot through the whole zone with a seaglide

That's what I'll be doing next time.

It was slow and tedious getting the cyclops down there and it's not like you see much from it. Then mine got energy drained by larvae and there's the dragon. My prawn suit survived that but then kept taking mysterious damage - as in I was definitely not standing in or even close to standing in lava - in the tunnel.

Seaglide ftw!
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Halios wrote: »
    It's easier to just scoot through the whole zone with a seaglide

That's what I'll be doing next time.

It was slow and tedious getting the cyclops down there and it's not like you see much from it. Then mine got energy drained by larvae and there's the dragon. My prawn suit survived that but then kept taking mysterious damage - as in I was definitely not standing in or even close to standing in lava - in the tunnel.

Seaglide ftw!
    A player has found the cause of phantom lava, and made a temporary fix - click here for the discussion. The developers replied, they are working on the fix. (was probably too late to be on the cuddle fish update)
  • JoE_SmashJoE_Smash Join Date: 2017-09-06 Member: 232825Members
    I'm pretty new so my opinion is probably invalid, but I would like it to be harder to lose a cyclops in general. I don't know the best way to go about doing that, maybe some hull upgrades to lessen damage from large creatures significantly. Like the reinforced dive suit, but for the cyclops.

Maybe also a grace period to repair it when it becomes "wrecked." Like you start repairing it while it's sinking and if you get it over 20%, you can go inside and patch leaks while it's partially flooded and try to recover it.

I don't know it seems like you can put an awful lot of work into the cyclops and it gets destroyed pretty easily....really...

Also, several people have reported drastically increased hostile fauna numbers in certain areas....I feel there was plenty of hostile fauna present before this last update....
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Hulkie2345 wrote: »
    I agree there's a lot of improvements that can be done with the sub. But the OP's problems sounds really bad. What's dumb, I just entered the ILZ for the first time, in the new ghost update. I literately parked the cyclops next to the main entrance of the alien power center. I left the engine on level 1 and silent mode on. The sea dragon completely ignored my Cyclops. It floated above me all the time. And it attacked me a few times in the prawn and Seaglide. But nothing major. Is the AI stupid? Does it randomly over aggressively attack sometimes. Other times it just derps around. I honestly suggest you save a lot of times. I do that. So if anything major happens. A bug or a stupid death. Just reload. There's really no good way to recover this far down in the map. I've learned the hard way that docking the PRAWN suit into the cyclops has a chance for it to be pulled into the ground. Honestly, this wouldn't happen if we had better defensive weapons in the game. That's the issue. Bosses end up being instant screw ups. If they decide to actually focus on you. If they don't: Happily park the cyclops and head on in.

effbmw7qqs9c.png

However now, you can only save when you quit. Those clever devs. Making sure we don't cheat.
  • adolfkrugeradolfkruger Saint-Petersburg, RU Join Date: 2017-09-15 Member: 233051Members
    edited September 2017
    into nothing, let it sink to the bottom and flood until the player can make repairs, dont let all that hard work and time just get flushed down the toilet.

And make the damn thing stronger when in the lava zone it makes no sense that we have this huge base sub and yet to clear the end game your actually better off just flying through it super fast in a damn sea glide.

Sub has a force field. Enable it and forget about monsters. In lava zone there are electricity sucking leeches. Just kill them or push away with gun.
    Install a thermal reactor on sub to compensate, and a couple modules for engine effectiveness. Switch off engine and lights, when going to swim. Leave force field enabled, if there are big monsters nearby.

I think sub must allow better vision, scanning, compass on cameras, monster attack scanner decreased in size, and may be additional parking zone.
    Docked transport's containers should be accessible within sub.
    Game itself should have a map.
    Remote connection to nearby scanning stations, to switch scan objective. Or even a mobile scanner on the sub.
    Remote call to summon a seamoth.
    Lights inside bases should be warmer, now they are too green-blue.
    I guess I assumed that leaving the shield on would drain all your power, so your saying that with the thermal upgrade which I have, thats enough to hold power with the shield always on ?

Honestly now that I have the cure I don't think there is any reason to go back down there, in fact in not opened the game since I got back to the surface, all thats left is some resource gathering to fill my lockers and once that's done id be left with nothing to do.

Guess I need to wait now till 1.0 so I can finish off the story and be done with the game.
  • ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    edited September 2017
    Hmm, you have a point...predators are pretty slow and rarely catch you if you run away with Seaglide.

But what is the alternative? If they made Reaper Leviathan or Bonesharks faster than the Seaglide then you're pretty much toast if you see one before you have any vehicles.

@adolfkruger Cyclops Shield now has a large power drain in case you didn't realize. Free shields was a bug.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2017
    Recursion wrote: »

effbmw7qqs9c.png
    However now, you can only save when you quit. Those clever devs. Making sure we don't cheat.

????????
    You sure about that?

I've been saving about every ten minutes since the "Cuddle FIsh" update to the Stable game yesterday. (9/14/17)

Is that something new on the experimental line?
    :|
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited September 2017
    Recursion wrote: »

effbmw7qqs9c.png

Since when was saving removed from the menu. I've been doing it with the cuddle update.
    cyrvxr3wlhy5.png

• ZeddIsDeadZeddIsDead Australia Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216029Members
    edited September 2017
    You can't save in Hardcore mode.

Otherwise the 'One death and game over' wouldn't be very scary now would it :D