How to expand the void post 1.0

PowerPistonsPowerPistons Neverland Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232266Members
This is an idea I had on a different thread, and I wanted to expand on it. So here we go :D

The current playable area should be rounded out and held up by MASSIVE floaters. About 3000 meters down in the void an infinite procedural generated world could be created, or many larger underwater islands could be floating in it. The larger deep terrain would provide room for massive subs and creatures. I personally don't like the idea of completely removing it the void because that mysterious drop off is super compelling to explore. The player wouldn't have the capability to explore it until he/she unlocks the final pressure compensator at the PCF. So basically the story could remain the same in the current area, and just continue in the void area. So whatdaya think? :p

Comments

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    That's kind of funny, this topic has been brought up before (a quick search through the forums looking for "void" or "procedural generation" should prove as much). Personally speaking, I like the idea, but I don't think the devs have the kind of time to implement something like it.
  • KelliseKellise UK Join Date: 2016-07-23 Member: 220582Members
    The world boundary is a boundary, not an expandable area.
  • PowerPistonsPowerPistons Neverland Join Date: 2017-08-07 Member: 232266Members
    Honestly an area below the void wouldn't have to be procedurally generated, but it would be cool to to have a much larger, deeper area to explore.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    But how could you get to the 3000 meters? You would have to be on creative or use console
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    But how could you get to the 3000 meters? You would have to be on creative or use console

Precursor Depth Compensator
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    "garath wrote: »
    I think their ultimate goal will be to put some game element in place that kills you if you spend too long in the void. They don't have any plans to do more with the void than killing you if you spend too much time there.
    They've already added that into experimental and it will hit stable on Monday.
    If you swim into to the void a super aggressive Ghost Leviathan will start chasing you, and if you stay in there longer a second and finally a third will start chasing you until you leave.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited August 2017
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    "garath wrote: »
    I think their ultimate goal will be to put some game element in place that kills you if you spend too long in the void. They don't have any plans to do more with the void than killing you if you spend too much time there.
    They've already added that into experimental and it will hit stable on Monday.
    If you swim into to the void a super aggressive Ghost Leviathan will start chasing you, and if you stay in there longer a second and finally a third will start chasing you until you leave.

Speaking of, I love the entry addition on Subnautica's TVTropes page talking about that new change:

(Original entry):
    Sea Monster: Applies to a lot of creatures in the game simply for what they are, but the trope takes full effect in the Void, the area of nothingness that surrounds the playfield. To avoid the Invisible Wall or Wrap Around, Subnautica hosts scores of the worst of its fauna the farther into the Void the player gets. It starts with Crabsquids, then kicks up to Reapers, and ends in Sea Dragons.

(New footnote):
    As of a recent Experimental update (early August 2017) this is not the case anymore. Instead, venturing out into the void now spawns Ghost Leviathans. It's as terrifying as it sounds too: You hear an echoing roar in the distance, and then from the depths this transparent writhing phantasm charges at you. It's unrelenting, will always home in on you, can deal heavy damage to a Seamoth in one blow... and it can move faster than a Reaper Leviathan. Be prepared for a challenge if you hope to survive an encounter with it.

:love:
  • Gourmet_GuyGourmet_Guy Ohio Join Date: 2016-06-16 Member: 218647Members
    I don't think they should put too much in the void, but perhaps a small secret for those that are crazy enough... I always thought a secret safe "island" off the mainland floating deep within the void would be cool. An example for those few who like old games - "The tall unreachable without cheats island off the mainland of the final world of Spyro 3" Though it would be possible to reach without cheats of course.. Perhaps the only thing there is a lit up area with a small wreck with say, a ghost leviathan plushie within. Just an idea... An actual ghost leviathan plush would be great anyways tbh... :)
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited September 2017
    The current playable area should be rounded out and held up by MASSIVE floaters.

The devs confirmed that the playable area is actually held up by a giant Reefback
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    The current playable area should be rounded out and held up by MASSIVE floaters.

The devs confirmed that the playable area is actually held up by a giant Reefback

That was a joke. Reefback was clipping threw map and was legit just a resized reefback.
  • FlanpanFlanpan UK Join Date: 2017-05-22 Member: 230681Members
    edited September 2017
    I think they could transition to the void a little better within the current lore.
    For this, they could add small ring of new area around the current map, gradually decreasing the quantity of vegetation and creatures (perhaps even adding remains) as it moves downwards.
    Then the void would occur, with a PDA message indicating that the biomes appear to cease from beyond that point. For those later in the game, it would be a great moment to realise why that is the case.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Flanpan wrote: »
    I think they could transition to the void a little better within the current lore.
    For this, they could add small ring of new area around the current map, gradually decreasing the quantity of vegetation and creatures (perhaps even adding remains) as it moves downwards.
    Then the void would occur, with a PDA message indicating that the biomes appear to cease from beyond that point. For those later in the game, it would be a great moment to realise why that is the case.

This one sounds pretty good.

My turn.

Void leads off, like they said, but as it goes down, you see the drop off. then, if you keep swimming down, you see the bottom of the "Island". I like the idea of the Giant Floaters holding the map up, but it could also go to random terrain generation from there, kinda making more of a landed island than a floater.

Also another void creature would be sick.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Honestly an area below the void wouldn't have to be procedurally generated, but it would be cool to to have a much larger, deeper area to explore.

There are biomes planned for post 1.0 and they could be deeper or not but the point is the devs added ghost leviathans to the void because they don't want players to go there why after 1.0 they'll remove that just to allow you to explore an area?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2017

Like @AnomalyDetected said, it was a joke post from the devs, imposing a copy of the surface terrain on top of a Reefback model. I've been down in the depths exploring the cube of the world around 1700 meters deep, and I can confirm that there is no actual Reefback below the edges of the world. :smirk: Even with the addition of Ghost Leviathans to the Void, you can still explore there as GLs won't spawn around you as long as you're near the terrain.
    Was bored so I sketched up my idea.

Image it way more spaced out.

5UTqmMZ.png