Subnautica Base Building Contest!

2»

Comments

• SrgBonkSrgBonk Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232320Members
    Base: Crag Fields Mining Facility

Features: 3 bases in total each with a separate purpose
    Story: After the Aurora crashed on planet 4546B a single survivor managed to escape the planet and inform the Alterra corporation of rich resource deposits on the planets seabeds. After debating whether or not to conduct another expedition to the surface to harvest the rich resource deposits the choice was made to return to the planet and begin harvesting. After landing with a small crew of men they began salvaging the aurora along with its components and using them to construct Prawn Suits and Sea Bases.
    Base 1: The Prawn Bay
    eg136im9l8x8.jpg
    Features:
    2 Moon pools w/ modification stations
    2 Prawn Suits
    2 Living quarters (Can sleep 4 crew in total)
    1 Canteen
    1 Nuclear reactor
    3 Water purifiers
    m9ugehuhiu3h.jpg
    i173ulagmsac.jpg
    p9u1pekkxk3a.jpg
    40wnwr1gvj9g.jpg
    Base 2: The Sensor Station
    re6at9l5mhht.jpg
    Features:
    1 500m Range sensor Room
    Base 3: The Mining Site
    uux60duv7lhz.jpg
    Features:
    2 Prawn suits
    2 Solar panels w/ powerline down to base
    1 Crate dump with supplies recovered from the area
    tn9x0y069i2d.jpg
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    garath wrote: »
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Can I still enter?

Absolutely! Please post screen shots of your base. Looking forward to seeing it!

I will except entry's until tomorow morning when I make the new post for the public vote
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited August 2017
    THE NEREID OUTPOST.

Ok, my base might not be the best looking base, or the biggest, but it has something special: EVERY BIOME within roughly 1000 meters.

Yes, it is possible. How? Well, I built it here:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    To be more specific: Here
    2qt2fbm9k84f.jpg
    You can use the teleporters to get anywhere in the game safely. The 1000m is just a guess, the one biome that might not work would be the jellyshroom caves. I need to check that out. The base is safely out of reaper aggro range, but the warper guards are a bit of a pain. It does have a place to park my cyclops, though. The entire base runs on 12 solar panels and 1 bioreactor.

Anyway, here it is.
    The moonpool always looks so empty to me, so I added some plants to spruce it up.
    9q0tjj7pr5zl.jpg
    The main room houses the bioreactor, the medkit fabricator (plz don't kill me) and the comm relay.
    obyrlqes1kg9.jpg
    The observatory has plants in it, much like the Degasi mountain base. For a while, you could see the baby sea emperors playing outside, swimming around and looking adorable.
    tv0ad8xqilaj.jpg
    gzar9ztwlpjw.jpg
    My solar setup gives me enough power to power 3 water machines, or charge 4 ion powercells. (⌐□_□)
    eaqu9agmdjn5.jpg
    My bed room has a great view of absolutley nothing. Beats looking at a blank wall. Barely.
    blu4gett6uj1.jpg
    qgspzeummj11.jpg
    95acz8xulh29.jpg
    That tower you saw is my live specimen tank, for breeding crashfish, jellyrays, and sandsharks. The Sandsharks and jellyrays are for power, the crashfish are for harassing reaper leviathans.
    wwc63l42aekf.jpg
    Also, my cyclops is parked in the gun moonpool. It has the shield, fire, depth mk2 and sonar upgrades. I don't use the decoy tube upgrade, as decoys are expensive, and the power efficiency doesn't matter as it is ION POWERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fhvdm8uzog75.jpg
    xyk8wcv5slrq.jpg
    v67act2odeb8.jpg
    w4avnh7o8rcd.jpg
    ic1qqdkgi2p3.jpg
    I went a little mad with the lockers, as I sorted everything by chemical formula. I have a strange idea of fun.
    f68xrx5np647.jpg
    314p6ch8sbzj.jpg
    Story: After ALTERRA bought planet 4945B, they were fascinated by the alien technology. They are currently studying the workings of the [CLASSIFIED] to [CLASSIFIED] at the nereid outpost, and currently their attempts at personal teleportation are [CLASSIFIED]. However, ALTERRA is currently producing ion crystals on an industrial scale, and are working on a way to make self - sustaining colonization ships that never need refueling. Every person leaving the planet is screened for carar, and if not, they are [CLASSIFIED]. As far as we know, the mongolian empire does not have anything that could counteract a blast by [CLASSIFIED].
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Ok, then... here we go...

Ok, my base might not be the best looking base, or the biggest, but it has something special: EVERY BIOME within roughly 1000 meters.

Yes, it is possible. How? Well, I built it here:
    maxresdefault.jpg
    To be more specific: Here
    2qt2fbm9k84f.jpg
    You can use the teleporters to get anywhere in the game safely. The 1000m is just a guess, the one biome that might not work would be the jellyshroom caves. I need to check that out. The base is safely out of reaper aggro range, but the warper guards are a bit of a pain. It does have a place to park my cyclops,, though.

Anyway, here it is.
    The moonpool always looks so empty to me, so I added some plants to spruce it up.
    9q0tjj7pr5zl.jpg
    The main room houses the bioreactor, the medkit fabricator (plz don't kill me) and the comm relay.
    obyrlqes1kg9.jpg
    The observatory has plants in it, much like the Degasi mountain base. For a while, you could see the baby sea emperors playing outside, swimming around and looking adorable.
    tv0ad8xqilaj.jpg
    gzar9ztwlpjw.jpg
    Story

The best thing about your base... It is very well protected. :)

No fear of spaceships flying up on your base and all that....
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    edited August 2017
    I found an interesting glitch (not sure if it's been fixed in experimental) where when building a base, the only build rules it checks for new construction not attached to a base is collision checking for the base piece itself, and the height over the terrain. Most of the Cyclops moonpool has terrain just underneath the floor, so at one point I was messing around with building a base INSIDE the precursor facility. It wasn't aesthetically pleasing and with the collision checking and weird invisible colliders inside the base it was a pain to build (plus I don't think I still have that save) so I won't be posting screenshots.

Still, after seeing what @kingkuma did I'm tempted to try to build something similar with a corridor running up into the Cyclops moonpool for my next survival game.

Not sure if I'll get around to building anything for this particular contest (I have some ideas but keep running into a wall (literally in many cases) trying to actually make it look decent around the terrain. Maybe I'll have to cheat and use the terraformer...
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Can I still enter?

You can't anymore, the submission deadline is past.
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    @Obraxis can you please close the thread? I have picked the finalist and will not be accepting any more entrys
This discussion has been closed.