Subnautica Base Building Contest!

Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
Welcome to the Unofficial Subnautica Base Building Contest! This is your chance to show off your base building skills! Here are the rules:
1. The Base MUST have a story associated with it.
2. External photos may be imported to the screenshot folder
3. Console commands permited
4. The top 5 bases will be selected by me, and they will be voted on by the community
5. All bases must be submitted by August 15th
6. Bases are submitted through comments below. They may be presented through screenshot (please put in spoilers to save space) or by youtube video with link included.

So what are you waiting for? Get to building!

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Hah! I will just build up my bulb(koosh) facility! Incidentally, facility comes from a latin word facilis, which means easy.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    You know, had you posted this two months ago, I would've posted maybe three entries in this.

I just went into creative mode to build a base, got carried away, and proceeded to do it two more times. I had to delete all of them as they were taking up valuable hard-drive space (and a lot of it.)

But I have one base in an old survival mode that has taken me many months to complete. I'll have that ready in pictures today. ;)
  • FalsonePlaysFalsonePlays Nauxes Join Date: 2017-05-27 Member: 230791Members
    edited August 2017
    :wink: Challenge Accepted.

(Also is Creative allowed?)
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    Can we use video to present our base? I'm gonna build something HUGE.
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    edited August 2017
    I think if it's going to have a story, it should be an in-game story, and therefore shouldn't be just a base you've built in Creative with unlimited resources and then made up a backstory for.

While I'm commenting, I might as well post my first big base. This was my Bulb Zone Fauna Research facility, where I had 5 aquariums set up to represent different biomes, each with related fauna and flora. I had a parking spot over a thermal outside for my Cyclops so it could recharge, and I was a minute away from the warp gate, so I could travel all over the map with ease. (It also happens to be really close to the new Lost River/ILZ entrance).

The 5th aquarium was dedicated to the Lava Zone, but when the Lava Lizard eggs hatched they were all infected :(

Here's the album
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    edited August 2017
    :wink: Challenge Accepted.

(Also is Creative allowed?)

@FalsonePlays Plays Creative is allowed.
    Can we use video to present our base? I'm gonna build something HUGE.

@NuclearBoy Videos would be great, just leave a link in the comment section
    Lulzes wrote: »
    I think if it's going to have a story, it should be an in-game story, and therefore shouldn't be just a base you've built in Creative with unlimited resources and then made up a backstory for.[/url]
    I'll accept both versions. I had the creative build in mind when starting this, but I like your idea as well. Both types can be used
  • SrgBonkSrgBonk Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232320Members
    Should we include a download link of the world So it can be explored?
    2 entry's so far, 6 days left.
    SrgBonk wrote: »
    Should we include a download link of the world So it can be explored?

I'd prefer not to have this format, for computer security reasons. Thanks for the consideration though.
  • ImperialBossImperialBoss Join Date: 2017-05-18 Member: 230607Members
    Story: I play on the Xbox One. As you may know, Xbox is several updates behind PC. There is a dev who has been working his ass off trying to get those updates working on Xbox. His name is Max, and I wanted to dedicate something to him. So I built a base and tried to not use cheats (ended up using cheats but not for materials). The base needed to be fully functional and usable for regular play, but crazy enough to be worthy of the Mighty Max.
    I also wanted to test how well those Bioreactors and Nuclear Reactors worked as full-time power production (I'm a Solar kind of guy).

The Base:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/6m4luz/warning_maximum_depth_reached_hull_damage_imminent/?st=J672YN7S&sh=0b826f50 (The Reddit post of it)

https://imgur.com/gallery/8BhqC (The Imgur album with pictures of the base)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ImperialBoss/video/33504406 (The 5 min walk through clip I took on Xbox)

A vote for this base is a vote for Max and his dedication to bringing this awesome game to us console peasants!
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    How many submissions per person?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Skope wrote: »
    You know, had you posted this two months ago, I would've posted maybe three entries in this.

I just went into creative mode to build a base, got carried away, and proceeded to do it two more times. I had to delete all of them as they were taking up valuable hard-drive space (and a lot of it.)

But I have one base in an old survival mode that has taken me many months to complete. I'll have that ready in pictures today. ;)

PSA: Anyone in this situation, DO NOT DELETE YOUR SAVE -- instead, clear your cache. Bam, save size is now down to a Megabyte or so (give or take, and not counting the screenshot folder).
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited August 2017
    uaa7a8bb5wr9.png

I feel so dang clever right now...
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members

Nice use of roof space for external grow boxes, I generally only put lamps and solar panels up there.

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    uaa7a8bb5wr9.png

I feel so dang clever right now...

@Tarkannen

(Thank me later)
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Skope wrote: »

PSA: Anyone in this situation, DO NOT DELETE YOUR SAVE -- instead, clear your cache. Bam, save size is now down to a Megabyte or so (give or take, and not counting the screenshot folder).

...Dangit...
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    edited August 2017
    I'm gonna be out of town for a week starting tomorrow so I won't be able to submit my base. :neutral: I am going to make a post about it when I finish it though.
    edited August 2017
    UPDATE: I will be moving the submission deadline back to August 18
  • Airkevin777Airkevin777 United States Join Date: 2017-08-13 Member: 232398Members
    Does the Cyclops count as a base? Mine is tricked out to an insane level :).
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Does the Cyclops count as a base? Mine is tricked out to an insane level :).

It's a mobile base, so in my book it is indeed a base of operations :D
  • Airkevin777Airkevin777 United States Join Date: 2017-08-13 Member: 232398Members
    Well then, here it is... The Cyclops of a dream

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2017

When I finally start to play this game again and go beyond the safe shallows, that is kinda my idea as well as to what the Cyclops is :D
    edited August 2017

Nice house boat submarine
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Btw, if anyone's is curious as to why my base (not the Cyclops) has so many solar panels and 23k power, you can thank the 6 water filtration systems and various chargers. The water systems take so much power lol. Even with 23k I run out at night.
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Btw, if anyone's is curious as to why my base (not the Cyclops) has so many solar panels and 23k power, you can thank the 6 water filtration systems and various chargers. The water systems take so much power lol. Even with 23k I run out at night.
    I found 2 Water Filtration Plants enough to keep me in Big Filtered Water. But I also needed a whole lot of charge storage to handle the plants running. I'm sure that came in as a bug about 2 months ago and it doesn't seem to have been fixed.
    Well if and when that bug is fixed I can take back some of the resources used on the solar panels lol.
    Can I still enter?
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Can I still enter?

Absolutely! Please post screen shots of your base. Looking forward to seeing it!

This discussion has been closed.