(Xbox) Graphics are terrible...

CastaniaCastania England Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220069Members
Before we start don't even say the Xbox can't handle it....

ARK survival evolved is just like subnautica and multiplayer and much bigger yet it has beautiful graphics....

Fortnite same thing runs smooth good graphics...

Fallout 4 huge open world beautiful graphics....

Now that's out of the way... how comes subnautica has such horrible graphics and textures? Don't even say Xbox can't handle it... it can... I played this on PC and it's beautiful but I no longer have a PC... I want to buy this for Xbox but good god the graphics and textures are disgusting... it looks worse than a PlayStation 2 game....

Why can't you make the textures a lot higher and make the game run at 1080p... the Xbox can handle it i just listed a few that do and they are open world...

I think the developers are lazy and just reducing the graphics because they can't optimize the game properly hoping reducing textures will cover it up and make the game run smoother....

I want to buy this game... but not unless you make the game look I just as it does on PC... me and my friends refuse to buy it till then... so do a lot of Xbox users... it looks horrendous...

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Well, graphics probably tally up to your settings of the game. A lot of the time, screenshots are taken at the lowest quality graphics settings solely because the lowest graphics settings usually yield the best framerates.

And then it's just Unity. Since UWE is essentially re-writing what Unity can do, it takes out of the quality of the graphics and framerates.

But in all honesty, it seems you're blowing the problem out of proportion just a small bit. Because it really isn't that bad, at least not as bad as you're saying.

I mean, look at this screenshot.

7t748uu04ifl.jpg

Maybe it's still below your standards of quality, but that looks pretty good to me.

So just take my advice @Castania, you and your friends just need to take the plunge. ;)
  • LeoxideLeoxide United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-09 Member: 216560Members
    edited August 2017
    Unless you want a crap-ton of lag, the game wont get much better in terms of graphics , however that shouldn't matter, because honestly I think it looks really nice, still, as @Skope said above. I'm not saying the Xbox cant handle it, I'm saying that the game looks fine as it is now and adding to that would just cause more problems - but that doesn't mean they wont possibly ''update'' the graphics for , lets say, the Xbox One X.

The reason Fallout 4 runs well , (still not maximum graphics , by the way) is most likely because of the amount of loading screens you come across when walking into rooms and such.
    The multiplayer half the time on ARK is full of lag (unless you are playing with your friends privately or on some non-official servers) -- Don't get me wrong though, I do like ARK. I play it from time to time with my friends on our own private server.

I think you'll find the developers really aren't lazy, they are just doing the best for the Xbox players, while at the same time supplying update after update further expanding the game. They dedicate a lot of time into this game and honestly are the most active developer team I have seen :)

Overall, if the graphics aren't your style , I believe you should at least try the game for its other features , and there is a ton of them. And if it turns out you don't like the game, well , at least you wont have to go through the hassle of purchasing it later on if it does get any better ;)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited August 2017
    Texture quality on XBox is generally the same as PC. However, performance (lag/fps) is not. UWE has stated multiple times in their latest posts that performance is not currently acceptable, and that they are working hard to address those issues. What more do you want?
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    edited August 2017
    Xbox can't handle it ;)

But being serious here, A: I wouldn't use ARK as a example of a great console port of a pc survival game. I love the game...but on PC. And while the others I am not as familar with Fallout 4 has more money behind it, and Fortnite is a completely different game, this game is still being worked on and performance and graphics will probably improve on console later on but I don't think its a priority right now.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    When the developers hit performance month and optimize everything to it's fullest, then they could probably up the graphics and all that because everyone will be able to tolerate it better...?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2017
    Castania wrote: »
    Before we start don't even say the Xbox can't handle it....

ARK survival evolved is just like subnautica and multiplayer and much bigger yet it has beautiful graphics....

Fortnite same thing runs smooth good graphics...

Fallout 4 huge open world beautiful graphics....

Now that's out of the way... how comes subnautica has such horrible graphics and textures? Don't even say Xbox can't handle it... it can...

Except you are wrong, because Subnautica is running on Unity which has a lot of trouble with openworld environments, because it was never designed to do that. As such they have to lower the texture resolutions in general on the Xbone to some extent. Also as you can see from those screenshots posted by Obby just now, it ain't that bad and you are quite far away from your screen anyway with the couch gaming factor of consoles...

You can say you don't want to hear it all you want, but that doesn't change facts :tongue: But things are starting to improve gradually with them dev type magicians working their magic...

Castania wrote: »
    I think the developers are lazy and just reducing the graphics because they can't optimize the game properly hoping reducing textures will cover it up and make the game run smoother....

Thanks! Your respectful armchair "developer" opinion is duly noted 5.gif We'll make sure to forward your groundbreaking insights to the devs as our top priority as the good little community members we are...
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    50241-03-11.jpg

Now get back to your own fourm you filthy 30fps 720p peasant.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Just so OP can see the difference:

This is Subnautica running on an XboxOne, and also a very similar PC:

o6qynsvu7sad.jpg

As you can see, the difference is minimal. I've blocked out the versions so you can try and guess.

I'll try my hand at this.

I'll guess the top one is PC

And the XBone is the one on bottom.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Just so OP can see the difference:

This is Subnautica running on an XboxOne, and also a very similar PC:

o6qynsvu7sad.jpg

As you can see, the difference is minimal. I've blocked out the versions so you can try and guess.

I'll try my hand at this.

I'll guess the top one is PC

And the XBone is the one on bottom.

Agreed. There's that bluriness on the textures. If they can get the two on par with each other (low end PC and XB1) I think we'll be in great shape (as soon as all the performance stuff is worked out, anyways).
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited August 2017
    I can agree that the graphics are not great if you value realism or high resolutions, even on the PC, but personally I find the graphics have a certain stylistic quality, and they are more than sufficient. There's a "cartoonish" appearance about them, and they do their job well.

As for the difference between PC and Xbone, I have to admit that I do see quite a difference in the two screenshots provided and I'd be annoyed too if I had a console, but then I'd realise that I have to accept it because hey, I bought a console instead of being clever and buying a PC. I'd have only myself to blame for purchasing an inferior product and I should really only buy games developed for a console, instead of games ported from the PC, because only a fool would expect anything other than substandard quality where ports are concerned.

If you want people to take your argument seriously, however, you'll have to try again with less salt, insulting ignorance and inane comments such as "it looks worse than a PlayStation 2 game" and more actual points and evidence to support your opinion.

Console players will get no sympathy from me. Your lucky the game is even available for you and the devs are spending resources on your enjoyment. I certainly wish they weren't.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I can agree that the graphics are not great if you value realism or high resolutions, even on the PC, but personally I find the graphics have a certain stylistic quality, and they are more than sufficient. There's a "cartoonish" appearance about them, and they do their job well.

As for the difference between PC and Xbone, I have to admit that I do see quite a difference in the two screenshots provided and I'd be annoyed too if I had a console, but then I'd realise that I have to accept it because hey, I bought a console instead of being clever and buying a PC. I'd have only myself to blame for purchasing an inferior product and I should really only buy games developed for a console, instead of games ported from the PC, because only a fool would expect anything other than substandard quality where ports are concerned.

If you want people to take your argument seriously, however, you'll have to try again with less salt, insulting ignorance and inane comments such as "it looks worse than a PlayStation 2 game" and more actual points and evidence to support your opinion.

Console players will get no sympathy from me. Your lucky the game is even available for you and the devs are spending resources on your enjoyment. I certainly wish they weren't.

It does benefit low-end PC players as well, though, so it's not a total loss (as the min requirements will necessarily be lower, resulting in more sales from low-end PCs (in addition to the console sales themselves), generating more revenue, resulting in further development for everyone).
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited August 2017
    Dude, don't give me "rationalism" and "reason" when I'm being Master Race. How dare you try to use intelligence to make a perfectly valid point!

Seriously though, you could make a decent argument for just the opposite; higher spec requirements mean better product, which attracts more high-end users and generates more revenue that way. I think it's conjecture to say either way.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Aren't most PC gamers running mid to high level rigs at this point anyway?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2017
    I think you mean "2012+" rigs, because TBH in terms of endboss CPU's from 2012, they still kick major ass.

It's mostly the GPU's from that era getting into trouble with 1-2GB memory, I might need to look into a higher memory card myself, the 1Gb for 1080p rule of thumb seems to be thrown out the window as of late... Usually more GPU memory was only needed for higher resolutions...

But the CPU's, they are still beasts :D

Xbone is comparable to the end of the line family of Core2Quad (Q9xxx series), what was that in PC land... Something around 2009?
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I personally perfer stylized graphics to realistic ones
    NerdyEric wrote: »
    I personally perfer stylized graphics to realistic ones

Me too.

zztbedc8s7fc.jpg