The cause of two FPS killers: day number/framerate and screenshots

BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
This is for the current stable version, if these have been fixed already please tell me, otherwise ensure they make it to the developers. I've identified the two main causes of the gradual FPS death in the game.

The first is likely a mathematical precision error when updating the game time and should be trivial to fix. It's the cause of the 'stuck moon' and 'fabricator slow' and 'fabricator only makes progress when taking a screenshot' bugs people report. If the number of elapsed game days is high and/or the interval between frames is short, when the game decides how much to advance game time by per frame it might get rounded to 0 and no time passes. To demonstrate this, here is a save game where I've done nothing but start the game and use 'daynightspeed 100' to advance the clock to day 697, subnautica day 697.zip. At 60fps or higher, the moon is stuck in the sky and the fabricator is very slow. At 30fps (use rivatuner or burn CPU like via the screenshot key) you'll see it moving again. People who play at high framerates will run into this bug sooner than others.

The second is that the number of screenshots in the screenshots folder decreases FPS. It seems like every frame the game is checking the screenshots, even in a fresh game without picture frames. With 250 screenshots in my folder, I went from 144fps to around 30fps. If you have a less powerful system or are on a magnetic drive you might see a large impact sooner. You can test this yourself by adding screenshots until you notice the performance drop, you don't even need to restart the game, you'll see it change live. The workaround for this is to just delete your screenshots folder.

For the first issue, the only workaround I have is to edit the save game to roll the clock back via editing the time in AtmosphereDirector, but the time is seemingly used elsewhere in the player data to track exhaustion so I don't feel safe doing it with only partial knowledge of the save data. Please fix that bug as it's a game killer.

Comments

• BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    edited July 2017
    Also, those " things above are quote characters - the forum has its own bugs it seems.
    EDIT: 'Fixed' by changing them to single quotes.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Foxy would you happen to know who would be the most appropriate UWE dev to ping on this issue?
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Max was/is always the engine/low-level programming/god as far as I know.
  • kfarris22kfarris22 United States Join Date: 2017-07-09 Member: 231690Members
    WOO!!! THANK GOD, I love you..
  • bugi74bugi74 Finland Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230185Members
    edited July 2017
    Hmm.. having a little bit background with floating-point issues in the past, the best approach is not just to increase the bits (i.e. convert to double precision), but usually multiple changes:
    • Change the way/order in which the calculations are done, so as to keep the intermediate values at similar magnitudes in each calculation step and to leave the operations that cause biggest errors to be last. This may need some mathematics, though sounds like in this case it would be quite simple.
    • Calculating/estimating the round-off error and accumulate it until it gets big enough to store back into the main value.
    • And once all that works, then additionally change some necessary things to doubles, if it seems some intermediate values still need the extra precision and/or magnitude difference handling.

Of course, interwebs has plenty more and better guides for these, but those few should already get one much further than just using float and using the first operations that seem to match the wanted functionality.

And then finally, one does not have to move things with "delta-per-frame"; instead recalculate the position always based on "since start of time" (instead of "since last frame"). However, this has its own floating-point monsters, but they are often easier to understand than the accumulating rounding error.
    (EDIT: above applies to not only "moving things" but "advancing time", too.)

(My background was with calculating money values with floats, in a pinch, when decimal based data-formats/routines were not available. Have to do all kinds of tricks to ensure accurate results (to the 0.01) in all kinds of cases. Extra trouble from the fact the (binary) floating-point formats suck in handling base-10/decimal based divisors/fractions.)
  • GreendwellerGreendweller Holland Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215980Members
    Unfortunately i can't give any tips like the posters above me did however i do know of an oss that makes a lot of usage of time settings.
    I guess obs (open bradcaster software) is quite known.
    And i also know for a fact that the timings used in there are accurate to up to 200 years. I daily lurk in the dev. channel of that oss and the main developer actually stated that. So perhaps it would be interresting to have a look at that code on github.

Those who are serious about time accuracy do not use floating-point, but large integers. In such cases the accuracy is as good as it is designed to be from the start to as long as the max count is enough. After that it either just does not work, or "rolls over" (usually leading to nasty effects).
  • BelgarelBelgarel Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231570Members, Subnautica Developer
    bugi74 wrote: »
    Hmm.. having a little bit background with floating-point issues in the past, the best approach is not just to increase the bits (i.e. convert to double precision), but usually multiple changes:

The increased precision is fine for what they're using it for and a simple fix.
    [*] Change the way/order in which the calculations are done, so as to keep the intermediate values at similar magnitudes in each calculation step and to leave the operations that cause biggest errors to be last. This may need some mathematics, though sounds like in this case it would be quite simple.

It's not an order of operations issue. Look at my python example. They are unable to represent one frame later than 131280 seconds from the beginning of the game. The correct time is roughly 131280.007 but the two closest values they can represent with a 32 bit float are 131280.000 and 131280.020. They can't even store the current time at that precision let alone manipulate it.
    And then finally, one does not have to move things with "delta-per-frame"; instead recalculate the position always based on "since start of time" (instead of "since last frame"). However, this has its own floating-point monsters, but they are often easier to understand than the accumulating rounding error.

What complicates this is Subnautica has a mechanic to speed up / slow down game time and it's also used to implement sleeping. So a "time since start" interval might contain several periods where game time moved at different speeds. They'd need to keep track of the amount to shift game time by to keep that feature working, and to keep that from having the same add-per-frame precision problem it would need to measure the time since they last changed the game time speed. It's complicated, wouldn't have any real effect on the game, they'd still need to increase precision anyway (see above), and they seem to be behind, so it's not worth it.
    Apologies beforehand, maybe this is the nitpicking code reviewing programmer side in me just being in overdrive, but...

No, using floating-point format (even double precision) is not "fine" (unless using the sarcastic tone of "fine, whatever, I give up") when using it as part of math where the time (or whatever parameter) changes linearly and is supposed to keep its accuracy over the whole valid range. (These "it's fine" attitudes without actually thinking things through have even killed people, although I think we're safe in this case :smile:. But will our crashlanded characters be safe?) It is more like strike of luck that double precision happens to have enough precision to work in this case. (Well, double is big enough to work in quite many cases, but it still should not be used as often as it tends to be.) If the programmer knows what he is doing, and documents it well (like explaining the value range where it can be used without too much error, like in this case "max few days of game time"), then maybe one could be excused to go with the easy solution. This issue clearly proves the programmer did not know what he was doing.

Oh well, if they keep in that style of using high values, and want to stay with floating-point stuff, I'd also change it to double. But if changing it, why not use the opportunity to change it properly, e.g. to 32 or 64 bit fixed point, which would have the same accuracy no matter which value it has. 32 bit fixed point would be enough for 3000+ game days at 0.001 sec resolution. Sounds big enough? Nope. I'd go with 64-bit one, just in case someone tries to make a few month marathon of subnautica playing (what humans can and will do surprise time after time). Unless there is some hard limit in the game which always enforces "game over" or "win" before certain number of days.

I had also made the assumption that the game would keep track of those sleeps etc. time rate adjustments in a sane way. (I.e. the delta time calculations would be given, as inputs, the current time rate factor and/or additional "external" shifts as needed). Naturally that part of my suggestions goes down the drain then.

Note I did not say order of operations (or other suggested points) would be the problem (and thus changes to them the fix); I meant that such changes would make a better fix if continuing in the floating-point domain (whatever finally is needed in addition)... Not that better one would be necessarily required, it is not like few extra double-ops per frame is any kind of load to worry about. Brute force (with consideration) is at times a valid solution, even if not an elegant one :P Brute force with ignorance tends to often bite back.

Your python example did show the problem of adding small value to large value, but did not let me know what the actual inputs and output of that part of the game code are, or can it keep own state up somewhere (the accumulation of rounding error). Thus, my suggestions were more like general ideas often used when trying to keep floating point errors as small as possible or trying to squeeze more out of floating-point formats when there are no other more appropriate solutions. (In this case, there are.)

In any case, I'll rather have a simple fix (just slap double precision all over the place) than no fix at all, if a proper solution is too much. ("Fine, whatever, I give up" :p)
    No, using floating-point format (even double precision) is not "fine" (unless using the sarcastic tone of "fine, whatever, I give up") when using it as part of math where the time (or whatever parameter) changes linearly and is supposed to keep its accuracy over the whole valid range.

You have an irrational fear of floating points. For the game speed, no one's going to notice if it's 1% off. With a 32 bit float, 1% error at 144hz happens after the first 2**12 seconds = 34 minutes. With a 64 bit float, it's 2**40 = 35,000 years. That clearly works fine as the error fits the precision they need.

Put another way, Windows by default uses SNTP and isn't drift-corrected. The clock at the lowest level of that OS drifting by up to 100us/sec is normal. At the 5 hour mark in Subnautica, the inaccuracy from use of double in that addition would also be about 100us. So you're concerned about losing precision that wasn't there to begin with.
    But if changing it, why not use the opportunity to change it properly, e.g. to 32 or 64 bit fixed point

Time in Unity is internally a double and will have already lost the precision you're hoping to maintain. Converting the code to custom timing would be a lot of work for a difference imperceptible to players.
    Another thing I didn't know, that unity would just use double for time. If Unity is already locked into using double, then I guess that is a good enough reason to stick with it.

No irrational fear here, just the long-time experience on bumping almost weekly on bugs caused by developers not following good programming practices. Occasionally my own bugs, me not always following them good practices :p.

Floating-point values have their own "best fit" uses, too. This isn't one. Money values is another where they should never be used (except perhaps in economic simulations and such where the input values and functions themselves are already inaccurate). And even time can be converted into floating-point during various calculations that derive from time, but the variables that hold and count the time should not be.

These accuracy things have been solved (i.e. found out what is the good practice) decades ago, yet these keep coming up all the time. In some cases there are benefits of using the floating-point stuff, like in this case it is just convenient due to Unity already using it. But other times it fails, (like it did in this case). The usual solution, which you are suggesting, is indeed typically the brute force and ignorance, "just add enough bits". Which typically moves the problem further away, sometimes far enough that it won't matter. (In this case, the bare mantissa of double-precision float has enough precision, the exponent part could be ignored, but then it would be used just as an integer.)

But if you never learn what is the right solution, you just keep repeating the same mistake everywhere, and end up using it in a case where it does fail. E.g. using floats for distances for all purposes (not just the rendering and local physics), and once visual glitches appear, you just bump it to double, problem solved... and then wonder why year later people start to cry about frame rates dropping to a fraction of what they were before. Etc. etc.

I wasn't trying to get the precision better than what double can give. My goal was/is to get good enough precision and value range while also following a good programming practice.
    Floating-point values have their own "best fit" uses, too. This isn't one.

It's a best fit for Unity development. Some Javascript (UnityScript) often ends up in Unity projects and it doesn't support integer types yet will need to agree with the C# code on key things like time.
    In some cases there are benefits of using the floating-point stuff, like in this case it is just convenient due to Unity already using it. But other times it fails, (like it did in this case).

Floating point didn't fail, the Subnautica guys just used a type that is too small for the precision they need. It's a common mistake when developing with Unity.
    The usual solution, which you are suggesting, is indeed typically the brute force and ignorance, "just add enough bits".

I'm not sure how checking the required precision and ensuring it fits a type is ignorant brute forcing. It's the same concept as significant figures in lab work.
    My goal was/is to get good enough precision and value range while also following a good programming practice.

Good programming practice is not turning a 1 hour fix into a 1 week fix with added complexity and code in order to make an imperceptible improvement.
    Belgarel wrote: »
    Floating-point values have their own "best fit" uses, too. This isn't one.
    It's a best fit for Unity development.
    That was lacking expression on my part. As could be possibly understood from the text afterwards, indeed, it fits with unity. I meant with that "this" about the "linear and same accuracy"-time use case in general.
    The usual solution, which you are suggesting, is indeed typically the brute force and ignorance, "just add enough bits".
    I'm not sure how checking the required precision and ensuring it fits a type is ignorant brute forcing. It's the same concept as significant figures in lab work.
    You did check, many programmers do not. And even if they do check the requirements, they show then ignorance in calculation efficiency etc. (In this particular case we're lucky enough that the efficiency can be ignored.)
    Indeed significant figures in lab work are just the same.. and those lab calculations also handle time as just one more parameter with equal effect in errors; they can do so because the reactions or physics do not usually suddenly turn into bigger steps (or stop completely). I think I already mentioned there are cases where time can also be handled with floating-point.
    Using your phrasing: Handling time with absolute accuracy is the same concept as using all figures in calculations in combination with money.
    (Try using even double-precision time in calculations related with money, and one late evening near the end of a year you'll curse about the missing $0.01 that doesn't let the bookkeeping get through and few people will have to work long days over the Christmas holidays just to try and find where the heck among the few hundred million rows of data it went wrong and why it went wrong.)
    My goal was/is to get good enough precision and value range while also following a good programming practice.
    Good programming practice is not turning a 1 hour fix into a 1 week fix with added complexity and code in order to make an imperceptible improvement.
    This might be now going to either semantics and/or "politics", but as far as I (and my colleagues) understand the term "Good programming practices":
    Good programming practice has nothing to do with how long it takes to make (though following the good practices often helps making the best solution pretty much as quick as the other solutions). It does have a bit to do with avoiding complexity, though (that is, sometimes the "best" solution in operational way is just too complex for general use). Also, it has nothing to do whether the effect in the result is imperceptible or not. The point of learning those good practices is exactly to know how to make it (easily) work the best on the first try, and also to cause less issues later. It helps in the long run, and often also sooner.

The coding time and complexity of my suggestions depend on the circumstances. In the simpler cases they can take just as long to code and are just as simple to understand as floats (all one needs to add is one float conversion and a scaling operation in the end). In more difficult cases (where the surrounding environment already causes the need for complexity) it can add anywhere between 10-50% more code, but usually not much more complexity. I do admit that in some special cases the complexity can step up quite a bit, but even in the worst case that I have met, a 5 minute double-implementation turned into about 30-minute thing with 7 lines of comments to explain it to others; I had to move a division from deep in a common function to be the last operation, so the math ended up looking unrecognizable from the usual formulas, and the comments just explained the math for others (and for me years later).

This case would have been one of those simple ones, if there had not been that Unity/other already existing float/double-time parameters.

But, I think we have derailed this topic quite far from the actual issue, into the realm of general programming :P Perhaps we should have own thread in somewhere else (seems Subnautica forums don't have a "anything else" area).
    edited July 2017
    But, I think we have derailed this topic quite far from the actual issue, into the realm of general programming :P Perhaps we should have own thread in somewhere else (seems Subnautica forums don't have a "anything else" area).

It does, it's just pretty well hidden from the Subnautica-facing side:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/ <- from there you can get to "Other", "Off-Topic", etc etc as well as forums for the other games UWE has developed (Natural Selection 2, go check it out if you haven't).
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    edited August 2017
    @Belgarel

As i wrote in my own thread i will test your workaround. But for now: well done mate! :)

Yeah would be better.

And, anyone with better connections to the devs should give the links to our both threads to the devs. I gave it up.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2017
    EkUl wrote: »
    @Belgarel

As i wrote in my own thread i will test your workaround. But for now: well done mate! :)

Yeah would be better.

And, anyone with better connections to the devs should give the links to our both threads to the devs. I gave it up.

@EkUl @Belgarel - Future reference, you can ping the devs on their Subnautica Discord server (see the link in Obraxis' signature or {buried somewhere} in my signature). Try to avoid doing it too much, as they seem to be quite busy a lot of the time, but for things like this that haven't seemed to make it to their attention after quite a while, it's better than it never getting noticed.

EDIT: Also, the screenshot bug is here: https://trello.com/c/HyZ45dFS/6543-fix-screenshot-manager-performance
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're aware of this issue and have tasked it to be fixed: https://trello.com/c/T2LmW54Z/6544-fix-elapsed-time-precision-issue
    Description
    The first is likely a mathematical precision error when updating the game time and should be trivial to fix. It's the cause of the 'stuck moon' and 'fabricator slow' and 'fabricator only makes progress when taking a screenshot' bugs people report. If the number of elapsed game days is high and/or the interval between frames is short, when the game decides how much to advance game time by per frame it might get rounded to 0 and no time passes. To demonstrate this, here is a save game where I've done nothing but start the game and use 'daynightspeed 100' to advance the clock to day 697. At 60fps or higher, the moon is stuck in the sky and the fabricator is very slow. At 30fps (use rivatuner or burn CPU like via the screenshot key) you'll see it moving again. People who play at high framerates will run into this bug sooner than others.

So... perhaps another reason why the day/night cycle should be reduced and have the time cycle slowed down? Not only is it immersion breaking to have many game days spin by in just an hour real-time, but it also kills the FPS after so many game days have passed! :open_mouth:

Please, consider reducing the game day/night cycle or at least let us customize it when we start a new game. And before anyone mentions it, yes console command DAYNIGHTSPEED [#] lets me slow down time, but that has the unfortunate benefit of messing up how other time-related effects happen in the game. Plus... I shouldn't have to cheat just to get a more realistic gameplay experience, really. :pensive: