NS2 wont launch

MillzyMillzy Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187995Members
When launching NS2 I end up with one of two problems that occur. it either comes up Steam must be running to use this program then it and steam crashes or it starts to launch then just sits with a black screen with the blue circle turning and wont load any further it wont even let me look at the task manager so I have to reset or log out.

any help would be appreciated,
thanks

Comments

• MillzyMillzy Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187995Members
    Found out it was NVidia GeForce experience not letting me in but now after about 5 mins it freezes
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Millzy wrote: »
    Found out it was NVidia GeForce experience not letting me in but now after about 5 mins it freezes

I've moved this thread to the Natural Selection 2 technical support section.

Can you please run TechSupport.exe in your Natural Selection 2 directory, and attach the results here.
  • hcp999hcp999 Hk Join Date: 2017-06-24 Member: 231324Members
    Hello, I cannot start the game via Steam, when i click play, then the status will change to playing, but back to normal soon.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    hcp999 wrote: »
    Hello, I cannot start the game via Steam, when i click play, then the status will change to playing, but back to normal soon.

Hi, did you already try to start the game directly via the ns2.exe in the install folder? Could you otherwise please follow the instructions of https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post-read-me-first and attach your tech_support.zip ?

Hi, did you already try to start the game directly via the ns2.exe in the install folder? Could you otherwise please follow the instructions of https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post-read-me-first and attach your tech_support.zip ?

Hi, I have tried and i click the ns2.exe have show Error: C:\Windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_43.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Here is my tech_support.zip, please see.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2017

Hi, I have tried and i click the ns2.exe have show Error: C:\Windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_43.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Okay open your ns2 install folder (Right-click at Natural Selection 2 in your Steam library -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files) then open _CommonRedist -> DirectX -> Jun2010 and run the DXSETUP.exe inside.

Steam should have done that on itself while installing ns2 but for some reason didn't do so. Please see if that resolves your issue.

Okay open your ns2 install folder (Right-click at Natural Selection 2 in your Steam library -> Properties -> Local Files -> Browse Local Files) then open _CommonRedist -> DirectX -> Jun2010 and run the DXSETUP.exe inside.

Steam should have done that on itself while installing ns2 but for some reason didn't do so. Please see if that resolves your issue.

i have installed , but still seem have same problem.
    edited June 2017

You may need a specific version of the directX 9.0c run time. Visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-Us/download/details.aspx?id=35 and select your language then download and install the given version. See if that helps.
    cannot install it, because my directx version is newest than that once.

You may need a specific version of the directX 9.0c run time. Visit https://www.microsoft.com/en-Us/download/details.aspx?id=35 and select your language then download and install the given version. See if that helps.

i Just want to play game, what can i do : (

i Just want to play game, what can i do : (

Okay your problem sounds like your windows system files got somehow corrupted. Please run sfc /scannow in the cmd (win+ r -> enter cmd) and see what the results say.

Another more risky approach could be to rename/delete C:\Windows\system32\D3DCOMPILER_43.dll and run the DXInstall.exe again to replace it.
    nothing issue found and i have rename/delete it , same problem : (
    edited June 2017
    nothing issue found and i have rename/delete it , same problem : (

Hi,

please contact your local Microsoft support. there is certainly something wrong about your system based on the information that i found the last days. There is nothing really we can do about it as game dev.

The only last thing you could try is to manually force ns2 to use DX11 (even though DX11 is still in beta and may cause other issues):

1. Press win + r
    2. Enter %appdata%
    3. Open the Natural Selection 2 folder
    4. Find and open system_options.xml with an editor
    5. Find and replace D3D9 with D3D11
    6. Save the file and try to start NS2
  • InfInf Join Date: 2007-01-15 Member: 59635Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its been 5 years since this game has been released, and we've had issues with it since day 1.

You are shipping DX9 out of the box dated circa June 2010, and you telling people to change it to DX11 whereas most of us have DX12 at this point.

So - do you have a QA department? How about some competent managers who actually test this game before deploying it to production?

Although you can say your team is now focused on Subnautica, I must say.. that game is boring AF and I couldn't be engaged for more than a day.
    edited July 2017
    Inf wrote: »
    Its been 5 years since this game has been released, and we've had issues with it since day 1.

You are shipping DX9 out of the box dated circa June 2010, and you telling people to change it to DX11 whereas most of us have DX12 at this point.

So - do you have a QA department? How about some competent managers who actually test this game before deploying it to production?

Although you can say your team is now focused on Subnautica, I must say.. that game is boring AF and I couldn't be engaged for more than a day.

In case you have a technical issue please open a new thread.

Also I ask the specific creator of this thread to switch to DX11 as their system's DX9 module seems to be corrupted. Windows generally offers backward compatibility so even if your system supports DX12 you can still play games with previous DX versions just fine.

For a game as old as Natural Selection 2 it's not really worth it to start developing for a newer API version because the amount of interest gained by such a movement will never outweigh the amount of work required.

We test our changes before shipping for PC. But you will never be able to cover the complete setup scope due to how differently PC systems can be. That's the very reason many game developers prefer the console platforms.

Last but not least UWE likes to make "spiky" games (games that take a different approach than the rest of the market) . In that regard every UWE title may be very different from the previous one. It was never really expected that every ns2 player will like Subnautica and so it won't be expected that every Subnautica player will like the game titles that will be released in the future.
  • MellowqMellowq Join Date: 2017-07-04 Member: 231582Members
    My game isnt working

I download game yesterday and tried to fix it by https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post-read-me-first http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131757/fix-for-common-main-menu-bug and this http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obby-s-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure
    nothing helps me , when i start the game loading screen show up but then it turns into black screen and nothing happens, i know game is working because i can open console [ press ; ] and type in it but still it is black screen . i dont know what to do . :'(
    Mellowq wrote: »
    here is tech supp

Hi, try to disable the steam cloud for ns2 because your version of ns2 seems to be stuck at trying to download the remote config:
    1. Open your steam library
    2. Right click at Natural Selection 2
    3. Click at Properties
    4. Open the Updates tab
    5. Remove the check mark under Steam Cloud
    6. Delete this folder: /Steam/userdata/[steamid]/4920
    7. Try to start ns2 again.
    edited July 2017
    nope dont work but i can try reinstall ns2 because on steam cloud already are some files
    d9fk1ioigttu.jpg
    there is a picture that i can open console in-game but nothnig else sorry for quality
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    NS2 will not start.

Tried to play yesterday and game just did not start.

Did nothing new from the day before, just not starting.

Tried to uninstall and reinstall, but no luck.

Tried to delete workshop, cache and other files still will not start.

Have not changed my setup since the last time I played, yesterday.

Any help would be great, Thanks Max
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2017
    Hi @prevertmaximus have you tried launching the game directly from the ns2 executable? (ie not through steam). Looking at your tech support now.

EDIT: Well the first thing that sticks out to me in that log file is the line: "Game path set to 'D:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/natural selection 2/menumod'". It seems you're launching the game with a mod enabled. Try disabling that to see if it makes a difference. The script errors that follow it seem to indicate that whatever menu mod you're using is messing up.
  • prevertmaximusprevertmaximus Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11630Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2017
    Hey BeigeAlert,

Yes I did. I'll try what you are saying as well , will let you know on that.

Also downloaded the Beta and try to see if that ran and it did.

But could start a server but could not join a server.

But I think the beta is 64 bit, and none of the servers on the list said 64 bit.

But the servers I usually go to were there.

Let me know when you find anything .

PS.

Ok deleted the -Game menumod, and it now starts as if I used the NS2 executable in the NS2 folder.

But does the same thing, as I tried that before. Opens up so you see the buttons find server, quick join, training, etc.

You can high light them but they don't work.

Here is a new tech file after I did what you mentioned and deleted all mods through steam.

So all vanilla.

Thanks , Max
    Hey BeigeAlert,

Yes I did. I'll try what you are saying as well , will let you know on that.

Also downloaded the Beta and try to see if that ran and it did.

But could start a server but could not join a server.

But I think the beta is 64 bit, and none of the servers on the list said 64 bit.

But the servers I usually go to were there.

Let me know when you find anything .

PS.

Ok deleted the -Game menumod, and it now starts as if I used the NS2 executable in the NS2 folder.

But does the same thing, as I tried that before. Opens up so you see the buttons find server, quick join, training, etc.

You can high light them but they don't work.

Here is a new tech file after I did what you mentioned and deleted all mods through steam.

So all vanilla.

Thanks , Max

The beta branch is where we test the next patch -- 64 bit is on a separate branch. You should not be using the beta branch unless you are a playtester, or if we announce a public playtest. :)

This tech support you just uploaded... was it made after you launced the beta branch of the game? I'm seeing error messages for missing things that really have no excuse for being missing, but which is very similar to an issue we had earlier today during playtesting.

In case the answer is yes, please try disabling your menu mod AND playing on the regular vanilla branch.
    Hey BeigeAlert ,

No the Beta was a last resort to see if anything was going to work.

Had it already installed long ago when I was more active play testing, So just had to update it.

I am a play tester. Also to let you know I got it to work.

So all good , thanks for looking into this.

Thanks, Max

Hey BeigeAlert ,

No the Beta was a last resort to see if anything was going to work.

Had it already installed long ago when I was more active play testing, So just had to update it.

I am a play tester. Also to let you know I got it to work.

So all good , thanks for looking into this.

Thanks, Max

Great! Glad to see it's working for you now. :)
  • needmedicneedmedic Russia Join Date: 2017-11-17 Member: 234016Members
    I have fixed my problem. 1. In Windows press "Start" button, type "cmd" without "" , right click - run from administrator . In cmd type this - "sfc /scannow" again without "" and press Enter.System will check your system for errors ,it will take some minutes. 2. Delete your videodrivers (i deleted videoadapter from "device manager" maybe it's better) and reinstall fresh with "clean install" . 3. Reinstall "Direct X" from Natural Selection 2 folder (CommonRedist) . 4. Reinstall game . 5. Play!
  • snacksy13snacksy13 Norway Join Date: 2017-03-10 Member: 228823Members
    I figured it out too.
    Turn off geforce experience, then launch game, then start geforce experience again :smile:
  • zackmattackzackmattack Join Date: 2019-08-09 Member: 254183Members
    i use to be able to run ns2 now it says couldn't initialize the render device
    i use to be able to run ns2 now it says couldn't initialize the render device

Hi zackmattack, if you are having trouble with the game, please run TechSupport.exe (in your "Natural Selection 2/x64" folder), and send us the .zip file that it generates.