Fix for common main menu bug

SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Some people are reporting that the main menu is broken, like clicking Options just results in all buttons disappearing, or the Optimization button not doing anything, etc. These following steps seem to alleviate the problem:

Delete these folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\core\lua
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\lua

All paths relative to your steam directory of course. And then after deleting, go into Steam and re-verify your game cache (to redownload those particular files, only a few MB).

Comments

• CommissarKy1eCommissarKy1e USA Join Date: 2013-12-19 Member: 190277Members
    This worked! Thank you so much!
  • mysteryfluffmysteryfluff nz Join Date: 2013-12-18 Member: 190265Members
    how do i reverify?
  • MazzaMazza Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75194Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Right click on NS2 within the Steam library
    Go to Properties
    Local Files tab
    Click on Button "Verify Integrity of Game Cache"
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Another Info: Delete steam/userdata/<steamid>/4920/ if you can't open options. In some cases the options.xml was corrupted for whatever reason.
  • ALLAH_IS_THE_LIGHTALLAH_IS_THE_LIGHT United States Join Date: 2013-12-26 Member: 190823Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I am experiencing this same issue where the options menu does not open the first time I click it, though messages involving "lua" appear in the console, and upon clicking a second time the options menu opens but does not close or apply any changes. All other menus (play, credits, about etc.) are working as intended and I can start and join games as I normally have been able to. This issue suddenly appeared without any update or changes made to my game files in any way (mods). I have tried deleting the files as directed but was unsuccessful in resolving my issue. I tried a clean install (not only deleting my game files via steam, but also going through by hand and deleting everything in every conceivable space, including roaming data). I would appreciate help as I love the game and need to tweak my settings a bit (they are all set to defaults currently as a result of some of my deletions). Happy holidays, merry Christmas, and a happy New Year and thank you for helping me with my issue. Ask for any clarifications as necessary. I also updated my drivers in hopes that it could somehow be affected by that.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Are you SURE you are not using ANY mods.
  • ALLAH_IS_THE_LIGHTALLAH_IS_THE_LIGHT United States Join Date: 2013-12-26 Member: 190823Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited December 2013
    I am absolutely sure I'm not using any mods. I can open the mods list in game and it's blank. I've also double-checked with my steam and I have no mods installed and never have installed any mods. It should also be noted that the game crashes periodically upon start-up, and I haven't noticed any pattern yet. Thanks for the help though and I'm willing to try anything. Just for shigs I just deleted all traces (that I know of) and restarted my computer. I am currently reinstalling and will let you know how it turns out.

Edit: Okay game finished installing and the same issue persists. It must be more than just an issue with my game files but I have no idea where to look. Also uninstalled and reinstalled Steam-no change. I've looked at the log and have found a total of 21 errors that occurred while loading the menu, would you like me to paste them somewhere? All of them involve lua/globals. lua:455 and lua/menu/GUIMainMenu. lua:2066: attempting to index and perform arithmetic upon a nil value, respectively.

I've contacted unknown worlds support, thanks for all your help and have a happy New Year.
  • NyarlathotepNyarlathotep Join Date: 2004-08-31 Member: 31123Members
    I have the same problem (no mods are installed). I tried what is suggested the posts (deleting the lua folders, cleaning game and re-install, ...). This did not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    log.txt 11.6K
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    That's actually a different problem. BACKUP and rename options.xml in Steam/userdata/userid/4920/remote and try starting the game.
  • NyarlathotepNyarlathotep Join Date: 2004-08-31 Member: 31123Members
    I did what you suggested and it worked. Thank you so much!
    I did what you suggested and it worked. Thank you so much!
    Heh, one of the devs mysteriously fixed that the other day, out of nowhere, who hadn't made an NS2 checkin in months. I had a hunch it was that.

• DjShIzzDjShIzz Claresholm AB Canada Join Date: 2014-01-02 Member: 191334Members
    Alright, so i have a problem. When i got this game it worked beautifuly, but when i was in the main menu checking the graphics options i noticed it was set In the "Device" to Dx9 which is fine, but there were other options too like OpenGL and Dx11 but i wanted to go to Dx11 to try it out but as soon as i clicked apply and was about to exit i noticed it was set to OpenGL but i was too late i had already exited it because you need to do that before it applies.
    So i now try to re open the game and i have NO PICTURE!!! all the sound and stuff and over and over it happens. i try reinstalling the game and verifiying the cache and nothing works so now i cant set the OpenGL Device back to Dx9

What am i suppose to do now? any advice from the Experts my friends?

I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX765m with 2GB GDDR5 and 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    DjShIzz wrote: »
    Alright, so i have a problem. When i got this game it worked beautifuly, but when i was in the main menu checking the graphics options i noticed it was set In the "Device" to Dx9 which is fine, but there were other options too like OpenGL and Dx11 but i wanted to go to Dx11 to try it out but as soon as i clicked apply and was about to exit i noticed it was set to OpenGL but i was too late i had already exited it because you need to do that before it applies.
    So i now try to re open the game and i have NO PICTURE!!! all the sound and stuff and over and over it happens. i try reinstalling the game and verifiying the cache and nothing works so now i cant set the OpenGL Device back to Dx9

What am i suppose to do now? any advice from the Experts my friends?

I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX765m with 2GB GDDR5 and 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz

Press win + r and then run %appdata%\Natural Selection 2 . Now delete the system_options.xml . Restart ns2 and all graphic settings will be got reseted.
This discussion has been closed.