Geode Cave (New Biome)

zimmymzimmym Australia Join Date: 2016-12-18 Member: 225102Members
edited November 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
My Idea involves a new biome called the Geode Cave. Here are some details:

Style: Rock walls with large jutting crystals everywhere. The cave is lit by a mixture of purple, blue and pink light from the crystal formations.

Location: The Geode cave is located deep below the dunes (500m depth.) The entrance is a simple hole in the ground which is rather large and extends quite far downward

Fauna: The Geode Cave consists of various common fauna that exist deep below but also includes an abundance of the Mesmer fish.

Resources: The Geode Cave contains multiple rare resources such as mercury ore and aluminium oxide. It also contains a new ore (Geode) which can be crafted into new interesting visual related items such as binoculars.

Related items: Possibly new vehicle modules, such as a "Focusing array module" which adds a sort of zoom feature to a vehicles hud. Geode could be used to upgrade the laser cutter to increase it's (painfully slow) speed perhaps. Upgraded power transmitters with larger range.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Maybe as a post 1.0 thing. If it is possible.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    zimmym wrote: »
    My Idea involves a new biome called the Geode Cave. Here are some details.

Style: Rock walls with large jutting crystals everywhere. The cave is light by a mixture of purple, blue and pink light from the crystal formations.

Should be gorgeous. I'd like to see it. Geodes don't naturally glow, though. (However, if you had bioluminescent life like Jellyshrooms, that could account for the light and be visually striking at the same time.)
    Location: The Geode cave is located deep below the dunes (500m depth below sea level.) The entrance is a simple hole in the ground which is rather large and extends quite far downward

Good place for it; the dunes are a little too spartan as it is, and adding it in post V1.0 would be pretty straightforward. Making it accessible to only smaller vehicles might be a good move, though, unless you plan those crystals to be seriously damaging to a Cyclops, thus forcing divers to be very careful with navigation of a large sub.
    Fauna: The Geode Cave consists of various common fauna that exist deep below but also includes the Mesmer.

No argument here. :)
    Resources: The Geode Cave contains multiple rare resources such as mercury ore and aluminium oxide. It also contains a new ore (Geode) which can be crafted into new interesting visual related items such as binoculars.

Not sure why we'd need binoculars seeing as how they don't really work well underwater. (Aside from that, crafting the lenses from plain old glass would be easier and simpler.) But perhaps the new ore could be used for upgrading - in the Modification Station, add two Geode pieces to a laser cutter and it'll now cut twice as fast, perhaps. Sky's the limit there.
    Flair:The most interesting part of the cave should be the bottom. The bottom of the cave consists of ferrous metals that cause a strange phenomenon. A pocket of air exists in the bottom of the cave in which upon entering, the player realises that they room is flipped. To be more clear, the gravity in this section of the cave is reversed up-side-down.

Okay, ya lost me, buddy. :confused: Why would gravity be upside down here? (Also, how? Iron-bearing ores sure won't do it. You'd need some weapons-grade space magic unobtanium to do that.)
    What are your thoughts?

Apart from the inverted-gravity bit, I like this a lot. :grin: The visuals would be very striking, and certainly cut new territory for the game and its feel. As an alternative to the inverted gravity thing, how about adding environmental hazards? For example:
    1. Hot water. Large crystals typically form in mineral-rich, pretty-darn-hot water. Low-grade heat damage would be a way to keep divers on their toes (and keep out-of-vehicle excursions short).
    2. Treacherous navigation. Many crystals are pretty sharp by nature, and crystals growing in such an environment wouldn't be very organized. Making this quasi-geode in the mold of Naica Cave could be interesting from a gameplay perspective. Here's a picture of Naica, in case you're not familiar with it:
    Cave%2Bof%2BCrystals%2B-Giant%2BCrystal%2BCave.jpg
    3. Difficult navigation. Think on the order of "house of mirrors." Difficult to maintain sight lines, easy to get lost.

Of course, I worry that such an environment - while I'd dearly love to see it - would turn my laptop into a giant Note 7 from the sheer rendering demands, but hey...that's my problem. :)
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members
    I was really thinking that could be quite beautiful as well like the geode cave in the movie, The Core.
    thecore2003.0105.jpg
    Something you drop into and feel like you're in a field of stars rather than the ocean. :)

Maybe it could have Naica like branches within it, too boot. Can't be worse than the Mushroom Forest, right?

I do like the idea of finding a new resource type that can be used for some sort of upgrades. Maybe even crystals we can...grow? Glowy crystal plants? :D

Yeah, a giant geode Biome would be cool.
  • zimmymzimmym Australia Join Date: 2016-12-18 Member: 225102Members
    My Idea involves a new biome called the Geode Cave. Here are some details.

Style: Rock walls with large jutting crystals everywhere. The cave is light by a mixture of purple, blue and pink light from the crystal formations.

Should be gorgeous. I'd like to see it. Geodes don't naturally glow, though. (However, if you had bioluminescent life like Jellyshrooms, that could account for the light and be visually striking at the same time.)
    Location: The Geode cave is located deep below the dunes (500m depth below sea level.) The entrance is a simple hole in the ground which is rather large and extends quite far downward

Good place for it; the dunes are a little too spartan as it is, and adding it in post V1.0 would be pretty straightforward. Making it accessible to only smaller vehicles might be a good move, though, unless you plan those crystals to be seriously damaging to a Cyclops, thus forcing divers to be very careful with navigation of a large sub.
    Fauna: The Geode Cave consists of various common fauna that exist deep below but also includes the Mesmer.

No argument here. :)

Not sure why we'd need binoculars seeing as how they don't really work well underwater. (Aside from that, crafting the lenses from plain old glass would be easier and simpler.) But perhaps the new ore could be used for upgrading - in the Modification Station, add two Geode pieces to a laser cutter and it'll now cut twice as fast, perhaps. Sky's the limit there.
    Flair:The most interesting part of the cave should be the bottom. The bottom of the cave consists of ferrous metals that cause a strange phenomenon. A pocket of air exists in the bottom of the cave in which upon entering, the player realises that they room is flipped. To be more clear, the gravity in this section of the cave is reversed up-side-down.

Okay, ya lost me, buddy. :confused: Why would gravity be upside down here? (Also, how? Iron-bearing ores sure won't do it. You'd need some weapons-grade space magic unobtanium to do that.)
    What are your thoughts?

Apart from the inverted-gravity bit, I like this a lot. :grin: The visuals would be very striking, and certainly cut new territory for the game and its feel. As an alternative to the inverted gravity thing, how about adding environmental hazards? For example:
    1. Hot water. Large crystals typically form in mineral-rich, pretty-darn-hot water. Low-grade heat damage would be a way to keep divers on their toes (and keep out-of-vehicle excursions short).
    2. Treacherous navigation. Many crystals are pretty sharp by nature, and crystals growing in such an environment wouldn't be very organized. Making this quasi-geode in the mold of Naica Cave could be interesting from a gameplay perspective. Here's a picture of Naica, in case you're not familiar with it:
    Cave%2Bof%2BCrystals%2B-Giant%2BCrystal%2BCave.jpg
    3. Difficult navigation. Think on the order of "house of mirrors." Difficult to maintain sight lines, easy to get lost.

Of course, I worry that such an environment - while I'd dearly love to see it - would turn my laptop into a giant Note 7 from the sheer rendering demands, but hey...that's my problem. :)

Thanks for the feedback.
    Just to clarify, i kinda went wild with the ideas for moment there. The gravity part seems a bit extreme and serves no purpose other that to "wow" the player. Therefore it is simply just throwaway material because the real focus is the biome itself. Binoculars were just a first thought idea. I didn't really think to deeply about what could be made with geode clusters but i like some of the ideas you spoke of. The house of mirrors idea seems completely awesome and i'd love to see that as well.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Just to clarify, i kinda went wild with the ideas for moment there. The gravity part seems a bit extreme and serves no purpose other that to "wow" the player. Therefore it is simply just throwaway material because the real focus is the biome itself. Binoculars were just a first thought idea. I didn't really think to deeply about what could be made with geode clusters but i like some of the ideas you spoke of. The house of mirrors idea seems completely awesome and i'd love to see that as well.

Always go wild with ideas, @zimmym. :) All great ideas start by someone having the willingness to go nuts with the possibilities, then the openness to reconsider points in the future. Boring games come from tiny ideas; great games come from going wild with them.
  • ArbitorArbitor Australia Join Date: 2017-05-06 Member: 230303Members
    Should be nice, a danger aspect should also be involved, i.e extreme temperatures, must have protective clothing to venture etc.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    @scifiwriterguy Wow I did not know of this cave...that is...just wow. #hugeimaginationspark
    The Picture really got to me. Once again the feeling how less we know about our own planet and how small we can be in comparison. And awe inspiring at the same time. How the first guys that found this cave must have felt? :smiley:

@zimmym Really nice idea...if the Devs decide to add new mini biomes or caves to the map this should be way up there on their list of possible things to add if you ask me. :wink:
    edited November 2017
    large.Crystal_Caves.jpg.2634eacf5f1ba52c569e5b45b64e3f1b.jpg
    Just a nice image to help convey my idea. :P

(Picture no longer works and cannot be finxed)
    edited May 2017
    @scifiwriterguy Wow I did not know of this cave...that is...just wow. #hugeimaginationspark
    The Picture really got to me. Once again the feeling how less we know about our own planet and how small we can be in comparison. And awe inspiring at the same time. How the first guys that found this cave must have felt? :smiley:

@ThePassionateGamer Truthfully? Probably annoyed.

They were gypsum and precious metals miners. Naica mine works pulled silver, zinc, lead, and gypsum from the ground. In 1910, they found a lesser cave about 160m shallower that they called the Cave of Swords. Cueva de las Espadas has large gypsum crystals, too, but not nearly as large; the Swords crystals max out around 1m in length.

In 2000, the mining operation was drilling the adjacent Naica fault because they were concerned about potential flooding problems. They broke through into a void that what would become known as the Cave of Crystals, although often just called Naica Cave. That's the one the picture came from. Discovery credit is typically given to Javier Delgado and his brother Eloy. The Cave of Crystals was originally flooded; the mine's pumps emptied it out, but there's significant underwater spring activity. When the mine's pumps are shut down, the Cave of Crystals will reflood. (Some reports indicate that happened already in February, but that's as-yet unconfirmed.) That's not a bad thing per se; the crystals were deteriorating due to exposure to air, and they only remain stable and growing when immersed in hot, gypsum-rich water. While we wouldn't be able to access the cave anymore, the crystals would re-stabilize and resume growing. (Verrrrry slowly.) And we could always pump it out again later if we needed to go take a peek.

For the record, these crystals don't grow fast. U-T dating (uranium-thorium, necessary for non-organic materials since carbon dating won't work) marks them at around 600,000 years old.

It's also worth noting that the cave is pretty dang dangerous for exploration and documentation work. If you look at the geologists in the photo, you'll see that they look like they're wearing pretty heavy suits and practically astronaut backpacks. Well...they are. The temperature in the cave hovers from 112 to 136*F, and humidity ranging between 90 and 99 percent. Unprotected, the average human doesn't have long in the cave before passing out from overheating. So, they wear a suit that's essentially a bunch of reusable cold packs put together into coveralls to keep cool. On top of that, the air they're breathing is pulled in through the backpack, which runs the air through tubing immersed in salt icewater. The humidity condenses and is collected, which was a problem, but the air is be cool enough to breathe without spiking core temperature. Even with all that gear, excursions are limited to about 30 minutes before overheating becomes a problem. It's not a tourist spot.

Even so, there was life, and still is. In small bubbles in the crystals, pollen grains and microbes have been extracted. Despite being 50,000 or more years old and having been locked inside boiling-hot crystal, they're still viable. Some research suggests that the microbes are contaminants from pooled water in the caves, but there's still agreement on age. The ability to survive in an environment like that is pretty slick, even by extremophile standards. :)
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    All of that sounds like an incredibly cool idea. Putting it under the Dunes and the kind of fauna and resources you mentioned all make sense as well, from both a balance and a world-building perspective. I would absolutely love to see something like this in the game.

:hushed: I'll buy that DLC. Looks great, @zimmym!
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members

Where's that picture from? Looks like a bit like ARK-Survival Evolved (at least the smaler crystals look like it).

@scifiwriterguy Thx for the extended info...and yes as I read the temperature there I knew that you would not be able to stay there for long...but still it must be awesome to take a look at it. Since I am a sauna and steam sauna user I could maybe even go in there without heavy equipment. :tongue: At least the 40°C/104°F that most steam saunas offer can be endured for quite a while but I guess that would change drastically if you go to the temperatures of that cave. Still a place I would like to visit if I had the chance. :smiley:
    @ThePassionateGamer It's just from some google browsing actually. I'd love to tell you what it's from but I've got no clue.
    edited June 2017
    crystal_cave_by_threedeee-d9nghgk.jpg
    Another image to further improve upon my idea. Unlike the image, it would remain underwater. The focus is on the actual terrain.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited June 2017
    Kinda reminds me of the chandelier ballroom in Lechuguilla Cave.

70df83ed8b45ecddba7fb2e57988a652--carlsbad-caverns-national-park-the-chandelier.jpg

LECH2571a.jpg
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    +1 for all expect air at the bottom, perhaps a natural cyclops moon pool at the top of the cave? maybe leading into a precursor research base?
    Previously used art stopped working so I decided to find some new and more interesting art to convey my idea more clearly.

latest?cb=20160510001031

maxresdefault.jpg

Once again, just focus on the terrain style rather than the fact that it isn't underwater.
  • PhantomRider187PhantomRider187 Join Date: 2017-08-28 Member: 232692Members
    This biome would be amazing to see and explore in the game. Especially, with the Eye Candy update now implemented into the game.

Just thinking of a place like this underneath one of the most dangerous biomes in Subnautica, the Dunes, sounds like an adventure that would definitely be worth it to obtain rare materials in order to make some serious upgrades and learn more about the geology of planet 4546b.

Maybe, the Geode Caves could be like a maze of small tunnels that, eventually, empty back out into the Dunes and connects with one of the lava zones. What kind of larger predator would be able to live in a biome like that, though? That would be very interesting. What could this biome tell us about the story of Subnautica?
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    Dear lord, you had me at geodes. I collect the things IRL, so you have my absolute support on this. Hell, it'd probably be the only reason I'd go into the Dunes of my own volition.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Here, have a look at this: (cooking your own crystals, and they look AMAZING!)

https://www.facebook.com/thisisinsider/videos/1739466333027424/