My look at the Silent Running Update

ApoNonoApoNono United States Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228282Members
Hey everyone, I have been covering subnautica on my YouTube channel and have gotten into the habit of doing a video to cover each update. I thought I would post the one I did for the Silent Running update.

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    Thanks for posting that video.

I see that the Cyclops won't be easily destroyed. And even if it is, what's completely lost is the Cyclops itself and any carried Seamoth or PRAWN. Any installed equipment and storage could be salvaged and transferred to a new Cyclops.

Losing a Cyclops and a PRAWN or Seamoth will really hurt. I will have to check it out myself to see if it will be too easy to lose in actual use.

Especially with the Silent Running mode, a keypress to move continuously forward would be helpful.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    ApoNono wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I have been covering subnautica on my YouTube channel and have gotten into the habit of doing a video to cover each update. I thought I would post the one I did for the Silent Running update.

I'll have to check this out later. Hopefully it doesn't get buried or I'll forget haha.
  • ApoNonoApoNono United States Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228282Members
    @0x6A7232 reminding you to not forget! I am thinking about doing a new play through with this update but have not decided. The game ate my hardcore again so I gave up on that until 1.0
    Jacke wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that video.

I see that the Cyclops won't be easily destroyed. And even if it is, what's completely lost is the Cyclops itself and any carried Seamoth or PRAWN. Any installed equipment and storage could be salvaged and transferred to a new Cyclops.

Losing a Cyclops and a PRAWN or Seamoth will really hurt. I will have to check it out myself to see if it will be too easy to lose in actual use.

Especially with the Silent Running mode, a keypress to move continuously forward would be helpful.

Would be really cool to be able to get it moving and let go / get off the controls to do other things. The reaper hit me maybe 7 times and I still had to ram myself into things a few times. Even at 0% it gave me some time to get things under control before it warned of failure. The real test will be in deeper waters for sure.
    Would be really cool to be able to get it moving and let go / get off the controls to do other things. The reaper hit me maybe 7 times and I still had to ram myself into things a few times. Even at 0% it gave me some time to get things under control before it warned of failure. The real test will be in deeper waters for sure.
    That is a good sign. One thing I'd like to point out is I'm not sure if the Max Depth Modification Bug has been fixed. Which means until that bug is confirmed fixed, you should always save above all vessels' stock Max Depth. And when you load a save, remove and reseat all Max Depth Mods on all vessels.
    That is a good sign. One thing I'd like to point out is I'm not sure if the Max Depth Modification Bug has been fixed. Which means until that bug is confirmed fixed, you should always save above all vessels' stock Max Depth. And when you load a save, remove and reseat all Max Depth Mods on all vessels.

When I loaded in the seamoth seemed to recognize the correct max depth. I will have to make sure to keep an eye on this.
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members
    The Cyclops does give quite a bit of warning before it explodes. I believe it's 20 seconds right now, after the health hits 0. So, the idea is that, if ,you decide you need to abandon ship, the smartest, and probably quickest way, is to jump in you docked vehicle and take off.

Ideally you'll already be out there in that vehicle, pestering those alien fishes back!

Nice video ApoNono, pretty much my experience with the Cyclops. You have to really try hard to make those critters mad enough to destroy it!
  • enragedcamelenragedcamel Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222016Members
    L4NDSL1DE wrote: »
    Nice video ApoNono, pretty much my experience with the Cyclops. You have to really try hard to make those critters mad enough to destroy it!

It's not the threat of destruction that annoys me. It's the ridiculousness of having to play what is essentially a stealth minigame in a leviathan-sized exploration vessel.
  • SoupiestBasher2SoupiestBasher2 Wales Join Date: 2017-04-02 Member: 229373Members
    Will this update fix an issue with the PRAWN suit on Xbox? My brother's suit HUD disappeared and the only thing that was visible was his torpedo arm. He then built another to see if it would fix it and it did, for a bit. Then today it broke the same way.
    Will this update fix an issue with the PRAWN suit on Xbox? My brother's suit HUD disappeared and the only thing that was visible was his torpedo arm. He then built another to see if it would fix it and it did, for a bit. Then today it broke the same way.

I can't help you with this question, sorry. I don't have any experience or information on the Xbox version.
    The Cyclops does give quite a bit of warning before it explodes. I believe it's 20 seconds right now, after the health hits 0. So, the idea is that, if ,you decide you need to abandon ship, the smartest, and probably quickest way, is to jump in you docked vehicle and take off.

Normally I totally would have jumped in my docked vehicle and escaped but I had to leave it in for science :)

The amount of time seemed perfect. Plenty of time to realize the situation you were in and act.
    L4NDSL1DE wrote: »

It's not the threat of destruction that annoys me. It's the ridiculousness of having to play what is essentially a stealth minigame in a leviathan-sized exploration vessel.

The 'stealth minigame' is fine from how I see it. A submarine is all about stealth and moving undetected. It is still strong enough to take several hits and keep on ticking. With the upgrades for Counter Measures, Fire Suppression System, and Shields I think they have given us a nice range of tools to help address any situation we might be faced with.

My one complaint would be a number of times the voice tells me I am cavitating when I am running at max speed. Also, the alarm sound is a bit loud for a boat worried about noise.
    The 'stealth minigame' is fine from how I see it. A submarine is all about stealth and moving undetected. It is still strong enough to take several hits and keep on ticking.
    The Cyclops isn't a war submarine built to hide from yet combat enemy subs and ships. It's a research vessel that still needs some stealth mostly to not distract alien lifeforms its crew would be expected to be studying.
  • Samar1anSamar1an Nottingham, England Join Date: 2017-04-11 Member: 229562Members

I have the same issue on one of my prawn suits. The other thankfully is so far fine.
  • ArcticWarriorArcticWarrior Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227305Members
    I think a nice thing would be for the prawn's or seamoth's storage modules to stay intact when they explode. Same with the upgrades, because rebuilding a prawn or sea moth is not THAT big of a deal, but loosing everything you had inside is very annoying.

Example: I was down in the lava castle, under attack by the sea dragon. I had recently re-entered the game, and not taken my prawn out of the cyclops yet that day. (I know this glitch has happened to others besides me),I knew the pressure compensator had to be relplaced (taken out and put back in) for it to work properly, but since I was in the cyclops, there was nothing I could do at the moment. I jumped into the prawn, and started taking damage from the pressure. At the same time, the sea dragon hit me, and i took damage. I finallly go into the lava castle, safe from the dragon, but i still had to fix the prawn suit. I took out the p compensator and put it back in, but before i could fix the prawn, it blew up and i lost everything inside of it. So I didn't save, restarted the game, and tried again.

(Yes, I know the example is about a glitch, and that can be patched, but still the idea is there that if you are under attack by lots of predators, you don't have time to take the stuff out of the storage and upgrade menu.)
  • AmbaireAmbaire Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219206Members
    edited May 2017
    I'd really like to see depth upgrades (pressure compensators) be permanent upgrades so they don't occupy a slot. Or have the option. Being able to take a Seamoth down 700m and it exploding if the depth upgrade is removed just doesn't make much sense.
    e. a few words