Explosion improvement?

jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
The Aurora explosion... the wake up call for many beginners of Subnautica. It's the thing that tells you "Hey, we're not fooling around. This is survival. There is no waking up. You're on your own." For me, it just didn't seem... dramatic enough. My suggestion should be that when it explodes there's a bigger explosion/flash of light. I also think adding some sort of tidal wave (or just a biggish wave) that pushes your lifepod back would be cool as well. Please tell me how you think!
This is my first discussion, so...... I just hope it won't turn into a riot XD

Comments

• garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Started a new game yesterday and because the explosion always looks so wimpy, I swam right up to the Aurora gathering stuff. When the explosion went off, I was, erm, well, dead. So, it may not look terribly deadly. But if you are too close, it will still kill ya :)
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    garath wrote: »
    Started a new game yesterday and because the explosion always looks so wimpy, I swam right up to the Aurora gathering stuff. When the explosion went off, I was, erm, well, dead. So, it may not look terribly deadly. But if you are too close, it will still kill ya :)

Always wondered what would happen if you got too close...
    I still think it should look spectacular though...
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Never get to close on creative you will fly in the air with the reapers (unless this has been fixed) but I think it should be updated but maybe as a side thing. Low priority
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2017
    That tidal pressure wave is in the trailer and looks might fine (I wanna see it as well ingame), but it would be hard to do a wave of that scale ingame withing ... well murdering the Xbone for one and PC's will not enjoy that abuse either :D
  • SubnaticbroV2SubnaticbroV2 Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229918Members
    They should make it into some sort of cutscene like you climb out of your life pod and the explosion throws you off your pod and scrap flies past your head. I will leave the rest up to the developers.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    They should make it into some sort of cutscene like you climb out of your life pod and the explosion throws you off your pod and scrap flies past your head. I will leave the rest up to the developers.

Yeah forgot about that, a pre-rendered cut scene could open up visual sexiness :D
    Psst get away with your logic \o/

Shoo!!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    That explosion won't generate a tidal wave. Most of the pressure will disperse through a thinner medium - the air - and transmit relatively little shock to the water. You'll get a wave, but it isn't going to be much. More like a gentle rocking. It's not going to be the Baker test wave, because that was from a nuclear weapon that was a couple hundred feet underwater, which totally changes the blast dynamic.

Otherwise, sure; given the explosion, a quarter- or half-second of whiteout would be reasonable, but by the time it fades, most of the explosion would be over and we missed it. Explosions are three things: fast, simple, and hard. They don't happen in slow motion, they don't have multiple visible phases (because they don't happen in slow motion), and a large blast is so disorienting that you won't see details anyway. Hollywood has lied to you and we now generally expect that lie rather than anything resembling accuracy. An explosion that feels real from a quarter-kilometer ship blowing its bow off should result in a blurred camera for a half-day of game time and no audio because you're temporarily deaf.

There's a bigger issue at hand here, though. Deep down (not a pun), would we rather:
    A. The developers devote time, resources, and effort into up-gunning a 10-second one-time event, sinking work into something that largely doesn't matter to the game itself...
    ..or B. devoting that time and effort (and those resources) into adding content and improving existing elements that you deal with repeatedly?

Sadly, that's the reality of game development. Unless you're a multimillion dollar company that can just throw cash at everything, development is a pick-and-choose thing. What will give the most output for the input? Where will this degree of effort and investment have a larger effect? If we demand a bigger, "better" one-time event, we're going to be sacrificing something else.

Don't forget, if you're a multi-million dollar company, chances are your leash is being held by an even bigger company that thinks any 'extra' money should be thrown at shareholders / corporate bottom line. Hurry up and ship it out so we can get working on the next cash cow already.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Don't forget, if you're a multi-million dollar company, chances are your leash is being held by an even bigger company that thinks any 'extra' money should be thrown at shareholders / corporate bottom line. Hurry up and ship it out so we can get working on the next cash cow already.

*cough* *cough* ...Bioware... *cough*
    edited April 2017
    The only suggestion I have for the Aurora explosion is, the sound should come after the explosion is seen. Sound doesn't travel nearly as fast as light.
    See the explosion, THEN hear the explosion.
    I expect this should be very easy to fix.

Barely, I think. Speed of sound at sea level = 1,225.044 kph, which translates to 0.34029 kilometers per second... hmm, if you're at the 1KM mark, it will take 3 seconds to hit. So, yeah, I stand corrected, it's actually noticeable (unless I did my maths wrong, which is quite possible).
    Ok guys, let's talk about improving the explosion!
    *5 minutes later*
    > science science science nerdy nerdy nerdy math math etc<
    Where did i go wrong?...
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members
    jeod wrote: »
    *5 minutes later*
    Where did i go wrong?...

Well that's how you improve explosions...nerdy science math! :p
    edited May 2017
    L4NDSL1DE wrote: »
    jeod wrote: »
    *5 minutes later*
    Where did i go wrong?...

Well that's how you improve explosions...nerdy science math! :p

Well, unless you are The Chosen One of explosions...

33vzond.jpg
    About the tidal wave... I was giving it a lot of thought... and here's my solution for it not destroying pcs:

If the code it in so the wave goes out in a semi-circle facing you (because almost no one would go to the other side in 20 minutes) and then make it so that the X (right?) velocity is negative when you hit the wave then it might work. To lighten the load, you and your lifepod will be the only entities to be affected. And as soon as the wave passes the lifepod it would dramatically decrease, so that the wave won't travel all across the map. As soon as it passes the kelp forest the wave will cease to exist at all. To make it look nice, instead of disappearing instantly, it would decrease in height after it passes the lifepod.

Please tell me how that sounds! It was just a random thought!
  • justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
    The explosion should be a large light getting larger and then a massive explosion in the shape of a cloud in the air, there should also be a small animation of a shock wave knocking you out and into the water if on top of your lifepod or decrease your oxygen as getting the wind knocked out of you and then a tidal wave that carries you away from wherever you are about 100 meters unless you somehow have a vehicle then 50 meters and if your in your lifepod the shock wave would rock it and knock out it's system and life support and then carry it a few meters away from the wave after which you would be able to see where the ship wrecks had gone into the sea from seeing a large splash.