New Cyclops

13»

Comments

• greenreaper101greenreaper101 Join Date: 2017-03-05 Member: 228605Members
    This new cyclops is amazing in so many ways, but what I wanted to talk about is it's health. Ok so, before this update the cyclops was indestructible, and ruined immersion. Now it is just a tin can. Having a lot of health doesn't solve the issue of constantly fixing the outside, and constantly stopping to put out fire after fire, after fire.

The developers should make it to where you can toggle infinite health or not on the cyclops
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    This new cyclops is amazing in so many ways, but what I wanted to talk about is it's health. Ok so, before this update the cyclops was indestructible, and ruined immersion. Now it is just a tin can. Having a lot of health doesn't solve the issue of constantly fixing the outside, and constantly stopping to put out fire after fire, after fire.

The developers should make it to where you can toggle infinite health or not on the cyclops

That seems more like a console code or cheat.

Making the Cyclops vulnerable is the whole purpose of its changes. Who would want to play with the vulnerable Cyclops when you can just make it invincible? It defeats the purpose.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    When the new Cyclops was first released, it definitely seemed like it was taking too much damage too quickly. But they have done a TON of work tweaking it. When the next 'stable' release comes out--called 'Silent Running', I think you will find the Cyclops doesn't take nearly as much damage and is quite manageable. The developers and play testers have done a great job. After 'Silent Running' is out, if the entire community feels the Cyclops is still taking too much damage, they can further tweak it.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig -- just wondering, but why is the upgrade fabricator on the other side of the engine from the upgrade console where the upgrades will be placed upon fabrication? I'd think it would be better placed on the same side to avoid confusion.

EDIT: to add, are there plans to add the Cyclops Power Efficiency Module to the list of upgrades that can be fabricated?

I think they could move the fabricator to the other side with the modules, and put a fire extinguisher where it currently is.
  • chessmaster42chessmaster42 Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229846Members
    Has anyone figured out how to actually make the Fire Suppression module? I've been down to the lava zone and back (several times now due to failed attempts to just survive) and haven't found anything to unlock it so that it can be crafted. The wiki has a recipe but the cyclops upgrade fabricator just says "ingredients unknown". I have also found a few pieces of mercury in sea treaders area hoping that collecting it for the first time would unlock the recipe but that didn't unlock it either.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Has anyone figured out how to actually make the Fire Suppression module? I've been down to the lava zone and back (several times now due to failed attempts to just survive) and haven't found anything to unlock it so that it can be crafted. The wiki has a recipe but the cyclops upgrade fabricator just says "ingredients unknown". I have also found a few pieces of mercury in sea treaders area hoping that collecting it for the first time would unlock the recipe but that didn't unlock it either.

Try going to the cyclops upgrade fabricator. The wiki says nothing else.
  • chessmaster42chessmaster42 Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229846Members
    As I've stated above the cyclops upgrade fabricator just says "ingredients unknown" when I mouse-over the fire suppression upgrade.

Right now the inactive and active lava zones are hazardous enough (in a good way) but adding in the fire-fighting every few minutes it is eventually unmanageable and *boom* goes cyclops. This is why I'm trying to figure out how the heck to unlock the recipe for the fire suppression module so that I can craft it.
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    My only concerns are that the max travel speed is the same as before; couldn't we get an overdrive system to double the speed in exchange for higher risk of structural damage and fires?
    Max travel speed is faster in the new Cyclops then the old one. There are now 3 speeds - Flank, regular, and slow. Flank is faster and regular is the same speed as the old Cyclops.
    I like the damage/repair aspect but I don't want to babysit the Cyclops every 5 minutes (as seen in a recent video by IGP someone posted here).
    There have been many many changes since that IGP video.

-Cyclops health increased
    -Reduced health percentage at which fires can start, meaning more damage needs to occur before fires start.
    -Reduced the probability of fires starting
    -Fixing bugs, which were probably a factor in that video. For example, the brine in Lost River is currently damaging the Sub, which it shouldn't be, and it damages it based on a very large bounding box, which means the sub doesn't even need to be touching the brine to take damage. So, that was probably leading to more frequent damage and fires in the IGP vid.

Anyway, I strongly encourage people to reserve judgement until they have played with the new Cyclops for themselves, rather then basing opinions on an outdated youtuber video.

Will be there a "Ramming Speed"?

its there all you have to do is FLOOR IT
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    One thing I keep wondering about: If the Cyclops explodes, will all the containers and contents lost? What about the internal decorations and crafting stations? That could be a massive loss of resources.
    Fathom wrote: »
    One thing I keep wondering about: If the Cyclops explodes, will all the containers and contents lost? What about the internal decorations and crafting stations? That could be a massive loss of resources.

No everything stays there. You can get items back from lockers, deconstruct anything you had placed. The only things I am not sure about is, what happens to plants and upgrade modules?
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members

No everything stays there. You can get items back from lockers, deconstruct anything you had placed. The only things I am not sure about is, what happens to plants and upgrade modules?

what about the seamoth you had docked

For now it just disappears. It will probably change.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members

I think that it should launch downward, and end up having 3/4 of the health it had before the Cyclops explodes.

ie: If the Seamoth has 75% health, then it would have 56% post explosion etc. etc.
    Skope wrote: »

I think that it should launch downward, and end up having 3/4 of the health it had before the Cyclops explodes.

ie: If the Seamoth has 75% health, then it would have 56% post explosion etc. etc.

Agreed. It would suck BIG TIME if you had to rebuild one vehicle, now 2? Seamoth isn't that bad but imagine having to start over and rebuild the Cyclops and the Prawn suit.
  • PikariPikari Join Date: 2016-09-30 Member: 222711Members
    I switched to experimental on my current save file for a bit just to sample the new Cyclops stuff. I was in the Active Lava Zone at the time, so immediately my Cyclops developed like fifty breaches and burst into flames. I think my comfy trips to the Lava Zone in my mobile home have come to an end. I do look forward to having a full playthrough with it in the stable version though.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Skope wrote: »

But wouldn't the Cyclops then land atop it when it sinks?
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    edited April 2017
    You know, a while ago, I looked up "WWI submarine" and looked over a wikipedia article on one of the better German U-Boats. And do you know what I found? It was better in every metric than an unmodded cyclops. It could go faster, dive deeper, and had a longer battery life. The only thing it might have lost in is air supply.

I don't know the new cyclops well, but it doesn't sound like it's improved much in those main areas. And now it can be torn apart by shark-sized creatures. I can guarantee that no steel hulled ship, or hell, even a wooden ship, the size of the cyclops could EVER be sunk by a shark, even if the shark was for some reason attacking it. Since being bitten by bonesharks does not instagib the player, we can conclude that they are not some sort of super space-sharks, leaving one to conclude that not only is the cyclops's hull shape something that I would have known would be useless in water when I was ten (not even exaggerating there), but "plasteel" is so hilariously weak that it's clearly almost all lithium with little more than a trace of titanium. Perhaps the damage that creatures deal to the cyclops is due at least in part to the fact that all they have to do is scratch the ships paint to have the hull be instantly destroyed by contact with water.

First the utterly unsafe escape pod, then the complete absence of numerous essential items of survival gear (if I use the W-word, I'll no doubt be lynched), and now a submarine that..... well, I can only imagine that it's designers must have thought long and hard about how to make the WORST underwater vehicle they possibly could.

Yep, NEVER work for Alterra.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    Jacke wrote: »
    I don't think Alistair MacLean, author of Ice Station Zebra was a submariner (served in the RN on surface vessels 1941-1946), so I'd say it's just his idea. I'd heard about the German WW2 sub diving without stopping its diesel engines. In ISZ, the American submarine was damaged by sabotage and under the ice and not really worried about being detected so much as surviving. It couldn't surface without repairs that were being hampered by the smoke. It's a bit of a stretch, as it requires the exhaust to be of sufficient pressure to force its way out. It also requires a fine hand at switching off. :)

Since we're talking on the subject of submarine movies (and books!) that while Ice Station Zebra is my favorite 'classic' submarine movie, probably my all-time favorite is U-571. :) While there may be some inaccuracies with the historical context of the film (the British Navy state they managed to first lay claim to a working German Enigma decoder, among others), it's still one of my favorite espionage/intrigue films. It's set during World War I, and the German submarine U-571 has been badly damaged in a fight with a British destroyer. The Americans intercept their message, and disguise an American sub to masquerade as the German resupply U-boat, when in reality they plan to steal an Enigma decoder but they can't let the Germans be aware they will be able to decode their communications.

While the plan goes well overall, the real resupply U-boat arrives and strikes at the fake 'German' sub, managing to sink it and killing the majority of the American crew and the German POW, while the American task force is still on board U-571. They swiftly take charge of the situation, and use the German's own torpedoes against their new enemy, and send them to a watery grave. However, their dilemma... They are now stranded behind enemy lines in a badly damaged German submarine, with minimal supplies and no support. They can't radio for help without alerting a possible German ship to locate and destroy them. Furthermore, they cannot let Germany know their Enigma decoder has been compromised; so even if they manage to make it to friendly waters, they must maintain their charade and risk being attacked by friendly forces. So much intrigue, it's such a great film! :blush:
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    edited April 2017

Since we're talking on the subject of submarine movies (and books!) that while Ice Station Zebra is my favorite 'classic' submarine movie, probably my all-time favorite is U-571. :)

AVIATOR1945 may have mentioned the movie earlier: Das Boot

(or might have just been saying something I didn't understand in German except for the part that is the name of the movie.) :)

Highly recommend you check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Well, the update is out. Prepare for feedback.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    edited April 2017
    Canek2317d wrote: »
    АНГЛИЙСКИЙ
    All diesel submarines have always surfaced on the surface to recharge the batteries from the sun. Yes that's too much, but why not .. Can developers in general beg for a new submarine, a more ambitious or a belt dron for the Authors ... Something that has not been updated Aurora for a long time. Neither team cutting nor a large screen whether the bodice or anything ....

Diesel submarines, which are actually diesel-electric, move with electric motors using battery power underwater and the diesel to generate electricity for the motors and to charge the batteries. They surface because the diesel generator needs oxygen to work and I haven't heard of a single sub with PV panels. And even if one exists, they most certainly haven't always charged from the sun; diesel-electric powertrain has been used in subs since before WW2 and had no PV panels
  • harrzackharrzack United States Join Date: 2016-09-11 Member: 222250Members
    Glad to see serious work on Cyclops - but sorry - you really missed it AGAIN! The main HUD is now cluttered with huge buttons and controls - all of which could have been neatly laid out along the bottom of the screen. The status info is a big help - but why so big & "cartoonish"?

My biggest hope for fix was the external cameras - and they still appear to be the same lame interface as before. PLEASE - can we get situational info in the cameras? Along the bottom of the screen - and please loose the redundant info on how to use the cameras and the silly vid-cam frame and record light! Using the Cyclops effectively one will be using the cams 90% of the time - and to have to go back to the pilot screen to see conditions is just silly and a waste of time.

There is plenty of space along the bottom of the screen for a informative data-display panel that could remain in cam-mode.

I know you've got a ton of work in this - and thanks for that. Just, IMHO, way off the mark. :-(
  • ApoNonoApoNono United States Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228282Members

You don't want to do that. Like...seriously don't. :#

When the air in a sub is fouled for some reason (like smoke), the best option is to go to periscope depth and snorkel - which is exactly what it sounds like, only bigger. :) Of course, if the air is really screwed up, you're going to have to surface and open the escape hatches and conning tower hatch and run the ventilation system on max...and hope nobody sees you.

Sub diesels suck a lot of air when they're running, and the Germans lost at least one U-boat during WWII because they crash dove with the diesels running. It's a bad idea. Theoretically you could replace the air the engines are pulling with air from the pressurized system, but that'd be such a recklessly dangerous balance to try and strike that you'd have to be in a this-or-we-die situation. Don't forget, you also need that pressurized air for other stuff, like deballasting the boat so you can surface again and firing torpedoes. Losing pressurized air at depth is a seriously bad thing because there's no replacing it until you're back at the surface again. (No purple brain coral in our oceans!)

But I'd really like to hear from @ApoNono on this one! He has much more in-depth knowledge (sorry) than I do. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself - You covered it perfectly. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to vent the air on the boat without going to periscope depth and snorkeling. Also, sorry for my absence on this forum. I am back!