New Cyclops

CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
This new cyclops is amazing in so many ways, but what I wanted to talk about is it's health. Ok so, before this update the cyclops was indestructible, and ruined immersion. Now it is just a tin can. Having a lot of health doesn't solve the issue of constantly fixing the outside, and constantly stopping to put out fire after fire, after fire.

Comments

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited April 2017
    As has been previously talked about in several other threads, They are aware of the current displeasure some testers are expressing about the fragility of the Cyclops.

They have been adjusting it a bit and are probably waiting for it to be made available in the STABLE version to get a better sense of player reactions, since a large portion of the SUBNAUTICA beta testers do not use the EXPERIMENTAL mode.
    B)
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Ok so, before this update the cyclops was indestructible, and ruined immersion. Now it is just a tin can.

I think some stuff still needs to be balanced, but overall I like the new direction for the Cyclops. Now you actually have to micro-manage systems as you travel, and it's a fun trade-off in keeping the 'mobile base' aspect from before.

My only concerns are that the max travel speed is the same as before; couldn't we get an overdrive system to double the speed in exchange for higher risk of structural damage and fires? And also if a Cyclops is destroyed it becomes an immobile wreck. It adds immersion but the game keeping track of multiple "permanents" over time is bound to affect performance... :neutral:
    Having a lot of health doesn't solve the issue of constantly fixing the outside, and constantly stopping to put out fire after fire, after fire.

I agree with you on that, if a fire starts it can cause damage and hull breaches; if left unchecked the fire spreads and causes MORE breaches. I like the damage/repair aspect but I don't want to babysit the Cyclops every 5 minutes (as seen in a recent video by IGP someone posted here).

Fortunately a recent goldpost by the devs stated they plan to add a fire-supression system! :blush: This presumably will shut off O2 production and starve all fires at once, in exchange for a short inconvenience inside the sub. If they can add that, then I don't mind having to play Smokey the Bear as much. :tongue:
    edited April 2017
    Last time I "accidentally" destroyed my Seamoth, the remains only hung around for a little while before fading away.

I'm pretty sure the same will be true for the Cyclops.
    B)

• Aviator1945Aviator1945 Appleton, WI Join Date: 2017-01-02 Member: 225904Members
    I hope the wreck stays there so my friend who doesn't keep track of things very well will be constantly reminded everytime he goes into the Lost River.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I don't see how a single player would realistically generate enough wrecks to affect game performance. Not in normal gameplay, anyway. Mainly, resources and that the player would hopefully not lose too many in the first place. And a few extra static chunks of scenery wouldn't be much load. Not nearly as much as terrain deformation.
  • IlexLegionIlexLegion Join Date: 2016-09-21 Member: 222475Members
    What happens if your Cyclops gets destroyed in a narrow passage in the Lost River? If it's permanent, couldn't it make it impossible (or at least extremely difficult) to progress past that point with a vehicle?
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    atm i be leave i need a new video card as the game is unplayable to me, but as far as i know the new ship is not in stable yet, also i think thire is a plan for a docking hatch for the base so i doubt their done tweaking it
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    My only concerns are that the max travel speed is the same as before; couldn't we get an overdrive system to double the speed in exchange for higher risk of structural damage and fires?
    Max travel speed is faster in the new Cyclops then the old one. There are now 3 speeds - Flank, regular, and slow. Flank is faster and regular is the same speed as the old Cyclops.
    I like the damage/repair aspect but I don't want to babysit the Cyclops every 5 minutes (as seen in a recent video by IGP someone posted here).
    There have been many many changes since that IGP video.

-Cyclops health increased
    -Reduced health percentage at which fires can start, meaning more damage needs to occur before fires start.
    -Reduced the probability of fires starting
    -Fixing bugs, which were probably a factor in that video. For example, the brine in Lost River is currently damaging the Sub, which it shouldn't be, and it damages it based on a very large bounding box, which means the sub doesn't even need to be touching the brine to take damage. So, that was probably leading to more frequent damage and fires in the IGP vid.

Anyway, I strongly encourage people to reserve judgement until they have played with the new Cyclops for themselves, rather then basing opinions on an outdated youtuber video.

Will be there a "Ramming Speed"?
  • zero12xzero12x Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229588Members
    This is the only way I know how to tell you this but what if there was a section in the Cyclops that you could hide in if the Cyclops explodes so you can remain safe and pick up the scraps faster.
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members

Honk honk! "Move Stalkers!"

More seriously, I don't know. It would be a cool concept though, but might be overpowered. What I want is a auto-pilot upgrade, or something like that. Even just making it go forward by itself would be nice. Exploring in the seamoth is fun, but in the cyclops it's just boring. I could be fabricating stuff while I make that 2,000 m journey to my summer getaway.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members

I believe that the new max speed is ramming speed, seeing as the next slowest is the Cyclops' current top speed.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members

Prepare for ramming speed!

Classics. Always go for the classics.

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017

Prepare for ramming speed!

Time to let D-Day drive. ;)

• Canek2317dCanek2317d Russia Join Date: 2016-06-17 Member: 218696Members
    edited April 2017
    Will there be replaceable (observant) towers on the Cyclops submarine? Or replacement of blocks instead of glass first compartment? Will there be a rescue capsule? 2 screws as a modification of the Cyclops? Luke on the surface for airing. I think it needs to be done...08hkoj982k7f.jpg
    it8nwujslam3.jpeg

• CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    Canek2317d wrote: »
    Will there be replaceable towers at the Cyclops submarine? Or replacement blocks instead of the glass first compartment? Will there be a rescue capsule? 2 propellers as a modification of the Cyclops? I think this should be done..

What? Sorry either I'm too tired or none of that made sense.
    edited April 2017
    Will there be replaceable towers at the Cyclops submarine? Or replacement blocks instead of the glass first compartment? Will there be a rescue capsule? 2 propellers as a modification of the Cyclops? I think this should be done..

What? Sorry either I'm too tired or none of that made sense.
    The meaning is in changing the tower of the submarine. This will add an autopilot function. If you enter this, you can turn the Cyclops' docking shaft into a module production plant, if the depth is more than 1000 meters without a life-saving capsule, you can not safely leave the ship, which is important. Seamoth is not able to evacuate you without damage. Plus, the appearance will change.
    edited April 2017
    It would be really, really cool to have a glass conning tower.
    But I doubt that would be an option any time soon.
    (If ever)

B)
    edited April 2017
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    (If ever)

B)

Well, or half of the glass. It would be great to have at least 1 hatch from above. As in the movies you know, you come up with a fire, smoke around and you open the hatch from above to make everything air
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    (If ever)

B)

Well, or half of the glass. It would be great to have at least 1 hatch from above. As in the movies you know, you come up with a fire, smoke around and you open the hatch from above to make everything air

Interesting suggestion. But it won't happen. At this stage of development, they aren't going to make any major changes to any of the vehicles. But keep on making suggestions. You never know what they might add a few years down the road once the 1.0 version is released and they start working on expansion packs.
  • killer_redstonekiller_redstone Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229632Members
    i play on xbox one and i dont have the cyclops update but i saw video of it but i think the decoy is not in off to defend the cyclops it would be cool if he could fire torpedo or laser or have defence turrets if you dont want to fix the fragility of the cyclops then add some weapons or an invsibility device like silent running but you can go to any speed you want and the sound indicator stays to zero
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    As in the movies you know, you come up with a fire, smoke around and you open the hatch from above to make everything air
    Or you can do what was done in Ice Station Zebra (novel). A fire broke out on the USN submarine and after the crew had suppressed the fire, the sub was still filled with smoke, with its reactor shut down and in a real bad way.

The Captain ordered tanked air to be bleed into the sub in the forward torpedo room and had the diesel engines started, drawing intake air directly from the engine room and exhausting outside, drawing all the smoke filled air back and out.

Amazing idea. Don't know if it would work.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    As in the movies you know, you come up with a fire, smoke around and you open the hatch from above to make everything air
    Or you can do what was done in Ice Station Zebra (novel). A fire broke out on the USN submarine and after the crew had suppressed the fire, the sub was still filled with smoke, with its reactor shut down and in a real bad way.

The Captain ordered tanked air to be bleed into the sub in the forward torpedo room and had the diesel engines started, drawing intake air directly from the engine room and exhausting outside, drawing all the smoke filled air back and out.

Nope (sort of, just not without giving position away) -- unless there was a way to take the exhaust and compress & store it, releasing it outside will give away your position underwater, which I'm assuming would be why they didn't just surface to begin with. Although, if they weren't worried about other planes / vessels nearby (only satellites), then it would work. I think. I don't know, @ApoNono , you have any input on that?
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited April 2017
    Jacke wrote: »

You don't want to do that. Like...seriously don't. :#

When the air in a sub is fouled for some reason (like smoke), the best option is to go to periscope depth and snorkel - which is exactly what it sounds like, only bigger. :) Of course, if the air is really screwed up, you're going to have to surface and open the escape hatches and conning tower hatch and run the ventilation system on max...and hope nobody sees you.

Sub diesels suck a lot of air when they're running, and the Germans lost at least one U-boat during WWII because they crash dove with the diesels running. It's a bad idea. Theoretically you could replace the air the engines are pulling with air from the pressurized system, but that'd be such a recklessly dangerous balance to try and strike that you'd have to be in a this-or-we-die situation. Don't forget, you also need that pressurized air for other stuff, like deballasting the boat so you can surface again and firing torpedoes. Losing pressurized air at depth is a seriously bad thing because there's no replacing it until you're back at the surface again. (No purple brain coral in our oceans!)

But I'd really like to hear from @ApoNono on this one! He has much more in-depth knowledge (sorry) than I do. :)
    So wait, all of this talk of new tech on a submarine; enhanced sonar, fire suppression, energy shields... Could we get a periscope eventually? :blush:
    So wait, all of this talk of new tech on a submarine; enhanced sonar, fire suppression, energy shields... Could we get a periscope eventually? :blush:

I don't think it would be necessary. The Cyclops already have cameras covering all of it's surroundings. And if there is nothing more on the surface, the periscope would have been even less useful.
    The conning tower camera, IS your periscope.
    B)
  • OjekronOOjekronO Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228983Members
    jeod wrote: »

Honk honk! "Move Stalkers!"

More seriously, I don't know. It would be a cool concept though, but might be overpowered. What I want is a auto-pilot upgrade, or something like that. Even just making it go forward by itself would be nice. Exploring in the seamoth is fun, but in the cyclops it's just boring. I could be fabricating stuff while I make that 2,000 m journey to my summer getaway.

Shield and max speed = death to anything in ur path XD
    The conning tower camera, IS your periscope.
    B)

No, they are different things. The Cyclops conning tower has one camera. This should help.

Periscopes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periscope

Conning tower: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conning_tower

It, however, could be said the Cyclops have some sort of Photonics Masts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photonics_mast