What kind of mod do you want to see?

Comments

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    @Casual_Player
    The code says:
    Attack if not inside and not just spawned and not invisible.
    Also bases apparently count as a "sub"
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    @Casual_Player
    The code says:
    Attack if not inside and not just spawned and not invisible.
    Also bases apparently count as a "sub"

That...is interesting. In this case, what is keeping the fauna from attacking the bases? They are recognized as "sub", and the player is attacked when out of them.

This also brings the question: why the vehicles are attacked? They are, AFAIK, recognized as the same category, fromthe AI perspective. Maybe the AI recognize the bases as a "invulnerable", and don't attack?
    Maybe the AI recognize the bases as a "invulnerable", and don't attack?

Probably.
  • cowboycomando54cowboycomando54 Join Date: 2017-04-20 Member: 229773Members
    @Casual_Player
    Apparently reapers only check if what it's attacking is a Seamoth or Exosuit (I didn't know they could grab exosuits lol) and then for each they have a method to grab it.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    @Casual_Player
    Apparently reapers only check if what it's attacking is a Seamoth or Exosuit (I didn't know they could grab exosuits lol) and then for each they have a method to grab it.

But does this behaviour applies to other fauna?
    @Casual_Player If you mean when they attack the cyclops, I don't know because I switched back to stable.
    @nesrak1 From what I remember, only the Sea Dragon could attack the Cyclops - but without damage. I don't recall that sub being attack from anything else.
    @Casual_Player Yeah, looks like seadragons can "shove" the cyclops and grab the exosuit (but not the seamoth :P).
    @nesrak1 is it possible to change the "invulnerable atribute" of the bases then? That way, possibly, the bases would be attacked.
    edited April 2017
    So, is there a "sub type base" or something like that?
    edited April 2017
    Perhaps bases are recognized as other "sub type ..." instead of "sub type base".
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    edited April 2017
    @pie1055 You most likely won't see that in a mod. IL works but that's for Monos not for actual code. The only way you could do that would be hacked in without dml
    edit: for people who don't understand:
    There's a way you create a copy of a class (piece of code) in code, edit it, and reload it, and use some Unity magic to replace that script on a GameObject all while the game is loading. The only problem is, if the class isn't a MonoBehaviour, you can't modify it, because that class is not attached to any GameObject, and therefore, we don't have a reference to the class's instance(s).
    Most likely the classes controlling how terrain is loaded is not a MonoBehaviour.
    Ahh I see. I didn't realize modding Subnautica was limited to MonoBehaviors. It still allows for more typical mods to go crazy though.

Hmmm...

Yeah I got nothing. Pretty much any crazy idea I've had for Subnautica has been implemented over the course of the Early Access period by the devs themselves.
    Perhaps bases are recognized as other "sub type ..." instead of "sub type base".
    If I would hazard a guess referring to the base by name of the object would mean having a check for "sub type is corridor, sub type is intersection, sub type is observatory, etc." That would certainly be messy and restrictive when it comes to adding new base pieces (gotta add it to every if check ever). They're most likely identified in a different manner, such as being tagged as a base and doing a "FindObjectsByTag(Tags.Base)" or "if Object.tag == Tags.Base" or something along similar lines of identifying what type of object it is. That way when you add a new base piece all you have to do is make sure it's tagged correctly (in this example) and it'll work with all pre-existing code(that never happens 100% flawlessly though).
    edited April 2017
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited April 2017
    I'd be a bit cautious about posting Their code in the forums and in general, dissecting Their game publically.

They are after all creating Subnautica to make some profit at some point.

They may not want Their game code splayed out for anybody to see and fiddle with.

Granted They haven't come out publically and said that Modding wouldn't be allowed, though They haven't really said the opposite either.

I'd err on the side of caution if it were me, game designers can be particularly fussy about their creations.
    B)
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    edited April 2017
    @Casual_Player
    it's checking if it has a script by the name
    Script names:
    <span style="font-family: monospace;">SeaMoth
    Exosuit
    Base</span>
    I'm going to finish this long, long, back and forth with a "yes it's possible, you just have to add code to an if statement"
    @pie1055 Yes, to modify and replace code only works with MonoBehaviours or their derivatives.
    Most code (anything that has to do with a gameobject) is a MonoBehaviour so it's not too big of a deal.
    (btw it's spelled MonoBehaviour and not MonoBehavior, don't ask)

It's been a while since I've used Unity so I must have forgotten the proper spelling and went with my local spelling ^^;
    edited April 2017
    @DaveyNY Re edit:
    Let's just clear this up with a great analogy: Let's say someone wants to change the color of a cube. Let's say I tell people they can't do it. Then they start getting whiney *cough**multiplayer**cough*. I then explain to them that they can't change the color of the cube because the cube's color is "unchangable" or known as constant. No one is losing money over the fact I just told them it is a constant variable.
    No, there was no code showing, and no, I didn't say anything that would make them lose money.
    I'm removing some of the info so there's a 0% chance of anyone to say anything
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I'd like to see a mod where you actually do damage to creatures if you stab them. If you stab a crabsquid more and more of its claws fall away, stabbing a stalker would flay its fins and it would loose teeth, gasopod's fins would tear, so on.
  • cowboycomando54cowboycomando54 Join Date: 2017-04-20 Member: 229773Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I'd like to see a mod where you actually do damage to creatures if you stab them. If you stab a crabsquid more and more of its claws fall away, stabbing a stalker would flay its fins and it would loose teeth, gasopod's fins would tear, so on.

It would make fighting them easier, that way you can tell how close you are to killing them.
  • GreendwellerGreendweller Holland Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215980Members
    Would like to see some additions to the achievement list of steam but i guess thats not possible to implement that trough a mod.
    @Jamezorg Don't know about model changing.
    @Greendweller No, but we can make a fake list like in hl mods.
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    Wonder if the devs are looking at this post and just be like "Oh dang we weren't ready for mods yet".
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited April 2017
    @Jamezorg Don't know about model changing.

So you can't edit models?

I guess models require a more artistic approach rather than coding.

Is it possible to change the colors or sizes of these models?
    @Skope I can replace the model, I can edit the model's verts, but not like the bones (basically how I would tell the game what verts to remove (claws)?)
    It is easy to change the material (like the rick roll mod) and the sizes (if you go to any subnautica youtuber ever, you've probably seen this mod)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    This guy posted a good point and it reminded me of one of the most useful Fallout mods.
    Greyfairer wrote: »
    -it would be nice if there was more personal dive gear to gate depths with; just odd my Seamoth needs pressure modules and yet I can swim around at 1000m fine in my skivvies (and how about a light on my helmet?)
    Possible?

Also, the day/night cycle being extended (a lot) would really be a good mod.