Mod support

cowboycomando54cowboycomando54 Join Date: 2017-04-20 Member: 229773Members
I understand that this game is still an Early Access, but will mod support through Steam's Workshop added to the game? I would love to see the kinds of player made content for this wonderful game.

Comments

• NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I don't think much has been said from the devs about this. Guess we'll just have to wait
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Right now it isn't a priority and I think there was some mentioning of no support. But that wasn't set in stone AFAIK, mod support could have a lot of potential for longevity and custom stories/quests/content with the community as a source.

Here's to hoping we do get some modders, but UWE hasn't said much about it :worried:
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    edited April 2017
    but will mod support through Steam's Workshop added to the game?
    Minecraft never needed the Steam Workshop or official mod loaders.

Unturned is a Unity game I've worked with and the modding support has been growing but implemented this way, you will always have limitations. The modules (dlls) I don't think are allowed on their workshop.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    There is one interview where they speculate about the possibility of someday releasing map tools at some point... but I certainly wouldn't count on it.
  • cowboycomando54cowboycomando54 Join Date: 2017-04-20 Member: 229773Members
    I
    Avimimus wrote: »
    There is one interview where they speculate about the possibility of someday releasing map tools at some point... but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

I just would like to see mod support that does not involve having to manually having to go into the games files, like how you used to have to do for modding minecraft.
    edited April 2017
    I just would like to see mod support that does not involve having to manually having to go into the games files, like how you used to have to do for modding minecraft.
    I don't use forge but I use optifine (which counts as a mod) and it has an automatic installer without opening the jar and deleting meta inf etc.
  • unsearchableunsearchable USA Join Date: 2017-04-20 Member: 229791Members
    I have lag on the home page so much that I cannot even load up a game I have let it load for more than a hour and it doesn't load also when I click play or any other buttons it takes about 4 minutes to register it. I know it is not my computer because I have quite a fast computer. Please help!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I have lag on the home page so much that I cannot even load up a game I have let it load for more than a hour and it doesn't load also when I click play or any other buttons it takes about 4 minutes to register it. I know it is not my computer because I have quite a fast computer. Please help!

Please post:

Your dxdiag output
    Your computer specs (see my signature below, and use Speccy to Publish Snapshot, then post the link it gives you)
    Your \Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\output_log.txt
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Modding isn't going to be impossible, but it's probably not going to be easy. Unity is an engine famous for being cranky to modders, and the devs are already butting up against the texture limit for the engine. There may not be room to mod in new assets, but tweaking the ones already present might be in the cards. We can hope, anyway. :)
    edited April 2017
    Modding isn't going to be impossible, but it's probably not going to be easy. Unity is an engine famous for being cranky to modders,
    I've made some mods and it's not too hard to do. It's more .net's fault than Unity (although Unity still is annoying)
    and the devs are already butting up against the texture limit for the engine.
    Like I said before, this only applies to the resources.ress because the number isn't high enough to reach that far. The texture size limit is different for each file. The fact that resources.ress has too many textures doesn't mean that files when read by file/bundle (in fact it's recommended to use bundles instead of resources they say) are.
    There may not be room to mod in new assets, but tweaking the ones already present might be in the cards. We can hope, anyway. :)
    Nope we have (almost) infinite amount of bundles, no need for resources.assets hacking.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Avimimus wrote: »

Map Tools would be awesome, would love to see what creative minds could add to the game - the landscape mods in Oblivion were fantastic e.g., and it'd be cool to try recreating some of the early concepts for the Lost River (Assuming the devs don't end up expanding it some time after the 1.0 Release) or even seeing if we could stretch the terrain out and add some more horizontal stuff to it.