Textures messed up?

GawainGawain Join Date: 2016-11-13 Member: 223846Members
Hello everyone,
in one of the recent beta updates my game started to show weird texture problem. I tried rolling back to official version, the problem doesn't show up there. Installed beta again and the textures are messed up again. Also tried suggested or highest quality setting, but no difference there.
A4qL-u6F6OWg2FquTmuI8XGcqeOiyMIy_z0_vliGLpQBke9ldnJ1o2Wv11330ubBHdKkiB1D_IZydaPKy2M8N8cpNEsrg5Ojt8jmf-Ef5AMm3FqbZi5ZFhYwYARZTr6v1WziE4JcXtwhlobiIxQ0wHhyqFvoqYFslzILIY3Wx_FvUwJNGK6PKKPKnBs3m7j4fHsdJT47v0m8u96010ASyCLOHHFWLqjwfLkrFDznRLY5HFwEAx3gew5l6cQp2L1A2keT-gXbRX2KrZ-oM1jVD18LJ85LIjRJFVvjYhqbgq-tyI2C3EluX_jkzC5DvYikxqBv4rkSH0wDQQWSSKJkygh9fmzgCkXbjTjXRoJUAAicxYzCKxTk3GQ0C9FIlNkGYVjyocp58uTFZh-ncOT8MnFAZ0mk6z5TzLFlhX2njOESNkEchEuIC9l5c73N8lmkQFBavMXkhkWe73-pShn1qr3VNPoH2BsYNdcRGi_ZWqIdXXMGnpQSg1fNZs0Cyd0pNuNTRcwb0TP3G0UWsVK2xEwEsG-LMbS2JIy_ljzE74Tta-3Lli69nWXgcgg4WXO84eT3AH_GFl9QdSjPvp8wGW1si6xTlJYmAOHrALdig_qWlb498vWHLHa7xltD_cVuQiXh3Nb9ZLTX62D5ccbH0MPK02hzvLl7S5IyXDYcow=w800-h450-no
wCipQyj_tBrv7RVcjDeiqe1MsgWeECcLpdQLnVvM2JFYo_0h9f3bm8rVEl_EvQCdaw9IX0KRSURHNvHdfxWxM16yxCRFdN746YSqSaYKh8B4BrtEX7zR1KhvSNyLaIYd6MRICkQPOzp3TI0zegHo60ihgJS1lyAbYOETke1s4XQV1A9lprhAfct1jxM9xgowBJpBgQq3uC9AX3qxknu3-RXTbT2lx8oy4cQG40GEH_KxQdTa3RiJsNUeYO4He5MvOOTIDqclFG-TqgWwEcxT5wsQBjOdQ_Ettfrogw0q3ca38_l8PZAgWB-luEmezRXFDpBMFjEOiqc9whVrYJiB_Sp-Cs1H12e4bw3kxymEIqg6IIN0cp9PmqT-1ZWPYjAXnEcyjqoh_O9JHqWEUTEoxCiHYdP3fK99ib5UE5yLn6FGsUbFoz6DVuhPhamVfOxUhD8VcZt2Co1bqc6t1fyjEeOXQV5Jw81xEZNTT-_6CHnItajKBg3T5bSHp7z5t92GEyNn2MOU-SkUUnD_joqamCPqzPh2j0YsEwi8M2wjbOjOytFDiozqS9_wb9K8Yuk1myJVKVlLm3jYT5aGtL860dKu2SUsUA_C_YgxiRrW8NwJTbkxs2SRMvwCok7qFyA_cxfbvYNlyCjXmEcrw6QSeMz46M_Y-WbJeN7yEFF0ZQ=w800-h450-no
Any ideas how to solve this?

Comments

• GawainGawain Join Date: 2016-11-13 Member: 223846Members
    UPDATE: tried to completely uninstall the game, deleted leftovers, then installed game again. Still the same bug.
    Is this just me or does anyone else have the same problem?
  • KingPhantomKingPhantom Switzerland Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228351Members
    this is exact what i also have. also in experimental. i think its just a bug in the newest experimental version.

i've mentioned it in another thread already but this is exactly what i have!
    Ok thanks, then we just need to wait it out ;-)
  • crawlerxpcrawlerxp Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228309Members
    edited April 2017
    I'm having this problem, too. Certain shadows and textures are messed up, my character has no animation (is always standing straight as a pencil), and my PDA is invisible when I press Tab. Only in experimental, not in stable.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Experimental is totally FUBAR. It's like there is a new bug every day. :)
  • crawlerxpcrawlerxp Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228309Members
    Yeah, I thought it might be nice to check it out, just to see it. I was curious about the new HUD. This was my first time trying experimental. I think I'll just wait in stable from now on.
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    the devs said they're reaching the limit for something in unity (subnautica's engine)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    garath wrote: »
    Experimental is totally FUBAR. It's like there is a new bug every day. :)

There is, it's our live dev build. Things will always be broken, sometimes more, sometimes less. This is how games are made, you add stuff, stuff breaks you fix it & move on.

Sometimes you cant revert as you need to move forward, which takes extra time. Like now.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited April 2017
    So what 'limit' is being reached with the Unity Engine? Is it possible (probably not?) to find - or create - a new or customized game engine just for Subnautica? Unreal Engine? CryEngine? Probably completely or near-impossible as it would be absolute ARSE to port everything to a new Game Engine...

Hmm... Hey Obraxis, anything in here that might help?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/index.html

This is for Unity 5.6; why not go whole hog and up Subnautica to the latest version? Here I am saying that like it's some magic 'fix' button but I'm guessing it's not that easy. AT ALL.

answers.unity3d.com/topics/texture+bugs.html And the Unity forum...

Hey... This looks like the problem you're having... https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/texture-problem-graphical-corruptions-need-help.395985/

Hold on...

The issue does not seem to be related to total assets in the Resources folder. The issue seems to be a hard limit of 4GB on the total textures in the build. Grab the "Build Report Tool" asset. When you build your project, it will show you total texture size in the build under "Size Stats". It will say Textures, Sounds, Meshes, etc under "Used Assets Size Breakdown" on the "Size Stats" section. If the total size of Textures exceeds 4GB, you will run into the problem.

More on this, Karl Jones, Unity Technologies,
    This is a limit of the maximum file size for resources. Resources are packed into a single file during the build. The file contains a header and one of the fields inside the header is size, this is stored as a 32 bit unsigned integer, the limit of which is 4GB. There has been some research into changing the size property to a 64bit unsigned integer but it is not a simple task due to backwards compatibility.

I suggest you look at using AssetBundles as an alternative, they are a much better way to work with large amounts of assets.

More...

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/temas/best-practices/resources-folder?playlist=30089

Read about AssetBundles more here https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/best-practices/assetbundle-fundamentals
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're well aware of the issues we're having, and will address them @Coranth - just takes time
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited April 2017
    Awesome! Texture bugs aside... I love what you've done with the Cyclops and can't wait to get that bad boy going in Stable. Now if I could just hatch that Sea Dragon Egg... we know its Mother died trying to save it from the Precursors; it would be amazing if we could get it out of the Lost River Facility and hatch-then-release it even as a little side quest. Poor thing... If we did that... then there could be a thing with all Sea Dragons; that, while not friendly per se, they at least tolerate you since you saved one of their own.
  • TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Everyone Has This Bug... Including Me...
  • jrose78jrose78 MA Join Date: 2016-08-17 Member: 221437Members
    I am glad you are aware of the texture issue, but it is keeping me from playing and reporting more bugs as not only are the textures messed up but there is flashing effect that is happening as well. Its not playable.... like at all without inducing a serious headache or some kind of seizure.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    jrose78 wrote: »
    I am glad you are aware of the texture issue, but it is keeping me from playing and reporting more bugs as not only are the textures messed up but there is flashing effect that is happening as well. Its not playable.... like at all without inducing a serious headache or some kind of seizure.

It is not keeping you from playing, merely keeping you from playing in the experimental build. The best build for playing in is the stable build, as this only gets updates when they are finished, not while they are still WIP.
    Obraxis wrote: »
    There is, it's our live dev build. Things will always be broken, sometimes more, sometimes less. This is how games are made, you add stuff, stuff breaks you fix it & move on.

Sometimes you cant revert as you need to move forward, which takes extra time. Like now.

As you can see, if you want to play the game, use stable..
    Thank you Soul_Rider or should I say captain obvious :-) . My point which you missed entirely is that without people giving feedback in the experimental version the bugs will be simply passed to the "stable" build. I think some people just like to get their post count high and comment on anything.. Yes I am looking at you mr. 4,203 posts.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Thank you Soul_Rider or should I say captain obvious :-) . My point which you missed entirely is that without people giving feedback in the experimental version the bugs will be simply passed to the "stable" build. I think some people just like to get their post count high and comment on anything.. Yes I am looking at you mr. 4,203 posts.

Or, you know, having been a member for over a decade?! His postcount averages to one per day (member since 2004-06-19). Yours, on the other hand, currently stands at dozen a day (brand spanking new member, already making friends and influencing people, I see). Might want to refrain from posting for the next week and a half, or people might think you're all about the postcount. /s

I agree about reporting bugs from experimental, though, as long as people don't whine about them being present (hello, it's experimental).
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Or, you know, having been a member for over a decade?! His postcount averages to one per day (member since 2004-06-19). Yours, on the other hand, currently stands at dozen a day (brand spanking new member, already making friends and influencing people, I see). Might want to refrain from posting for the next week and a half, or people might think you're all about the postcount. /s

I know I should not bother but here goes. I joined on 2016-08-17 I currently have 12 posts wait 13 now .. so how is it you think I have 12 a day? Now we have captain obvious and captain clueless.

edited April 2017
    Guys ... isn't this going a little off topic? Last thing I can see on topic is Obraxis' reply.
    Actually, can a moderator close this one? Since all needed for this bug was already said, I don't see a reason to keep this open.
    Thank you
    It looks like this issue has been fixed. Thank you devs
    It looks like this issue has been fixed. Thank you devs

I agree! Developers are awesome!
    Confirmed in 46845 the textures are fine again (as well as seamoth moonpool docking).

Thank you devs for quick fix!!! Much appreciated.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

I know I should not bother but here goes. I joined on 2016-08-17 I currently have 12 posts wait 13 now .. so how is it you think I have 12 a day? Now we have captain obvious and captain clueless.

Apparently I somehow misread your join date as that (then current) day. Odd. *shrug* I guess you're not a complete troll, then, as I thought you were sniping on your first day. I'll refrain from digging through your post history as that seems a bit trollish itself.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    God nobody look at the leviathan, ampeel or the boneshark.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's important to post bugs.I like how some of these people seem to believe that the developers would have never known about these bugs if the people in the forums haven't found them. That's a laugh. "The Devs would have never seen it." I'm not a software engineer, but as another kind of engineer, I do understand that I am capable of finding the mistakes that make a product completely unusable. I don't wait for the first customers to tell me how much it sucks. Then again, Apple got rid of the headphone jack, Samsung created Bixby, and Microsoft commits suicide on every product that doesn't immediately sell. Not sure why I'm writing this any more.

Oh yeah, some of you guys understand that experimental version isn't the working version, right? I suggest you stop using the experimental if you're gonna complain about how it sucks. Good luck
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's important to post bugs.I like how some of these people seem to believe that the developers would have never known about these bugs if the people in the forums haven't found them. That's a laugh. "The Devs would have never seen it." I'm not a software engineer, but as another kind of engineer, I do understand that I am capable of finding the mistakes that make a product completely unusable. I don't wait for the first customers to tell me how much it sucks. Then again, Apple got rid of the headphone jack, Samsung created Bixby, and Microsoft commits suicide on every product that doesn't immediately sell. Not sure why I'm writing this any more.

Oh yeah, some of you guys understand that experimental version isn't the working version, right? I suggest you stop using the experimental if you're gonna complain about how it sucks. Good luck

Anytime someone compares any other type of engineering to software development...

PM_Build_Swing.gif

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2017
    Documentation is key and supported by paid DLC obviously :trollface: