About the Cyclops health update

prototype464prototype464 North Carolina, United States Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228993Members

This video shows the cyclops health stuff, and I had a few thoughts and opinions about it.

1. The Cyclops caught fire too much.
2. Silent running needs some buffs.
3. The cyclops needs extra modules like a sprinkler system for fires or repair drones on the outside to repair damage.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited April 2017
    Hmm since the video was clearly taken in the experimental version my guess would be, that they are still fine tuning it a bit for the stable version. I sincerly hope they add something to help you manage/mitigate damage a little bit because at least in the video even one or two creatures can create total chaos and that just seems too much. Going from invincible Cyclops to kinda squishy Cyclops at least judging by that video you linked seems too much. At least if IGP was right that the shield "only" helps you for 12 seconds with a cooldown after that.

Maybe couple the shield with the power cells but then make it last as long as you can power it? Make it not as effective that way but repell creatures that attack you while shielded? So you are not totally immune while shielded but take way less damage?

Would love it if the Cyclops would be more sturdy and had options to fight damage mabye half automated (Sprinkler/repair drones...). That way you don't have to panic at the sight of every single creature.

Silent running should indeed help a little more to make the Cyclops uninteresting again. I think that after one or two hits each creature should notice "Hey that is no prey and it tastes bad.". So why do they keep attacking if you take the noise and light stimuli away? I mean the Cyclops clearly does not look like a mating rival to any creature so a continued attack at least for me does not make that much sense.

Maybe add an option to repell attackers? A perimeter defense system for the Cyclops would be nice paired with an option to charge up its Power cells solar or thermal wise?

Your thoughts on my two cents for this health update?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited April 2017
    I had gathered as much from UWE's vid, but it's good to see my remaining questions be answered with an LP. I do want to experience this Cyclops for myself before screeching to ease up on it giving feedback (speed, small creature aggro, conditions of being attacked, what happens to a docked vessel upon destruction/can you still get it out?), but as it is I can see a few things might become of use:
    • Like I already requested for large deposits some time ago, I'm interested to see those percentage circles be added to fires too. I do not know how compatible this is with the semi-permanent fires in the Aurora, but at least in the Cyclops it will give a better hold on your progress saving your vessel.
    • Cockpit vision really needs to be improved now that all the crucial information is in there. Camera vision alone won't do like this.
    • All three cameras of the cyclops need to be updated to camera drones so you can use them for scouting. By default, no modules needed, although modules can be added for camo and the like - it'll dependent on how UWE plans to further the scanner room.
    • A module for drones that can fix the Cyclops's hull, whether automatically or user controlled (they could be controllable fom wherever the cameras are selectable), seems necessary as is.
    • Between the smoke and the gas pods and those purple stingers, it's starting to sound like the premise for a new suit.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I agree with what everyone has said, but also I think it should be a little faster.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Once all this actually hits the STABLE version, there will be a much greater response as to it's overall effect on gameplay.

They will most likely adjust the pace of the Cyclops' destruction based on player feedback at that time.

They have shown a tendency to make the game mechanics friendlier toward non-hardcore players, so I would imagine if the Cyclops is found by a large number of players to be difficult to maintain, They will adjust it accordingly.

B)
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    I love all of the new features, but it does look like a lot of hassle when all you're trying to do is go from point A to point B.

I only have one suggestion; reduce attack frequency of the creatures and, if necessary, increase their damage to make up for it. Currently as soon as the player finishes repairing there's a good chance they're going to need to begin repairing again immediately. This is tedious and very not fun. Optimally you'd want enough time to react to and address a creature attack plus a little extra to allow the player some "free time" to do whatever they're trying to do(relieves stress built up over the attacks and allows the player to avoid further assault).

If the player ignores addressing the attack (repairing) the damage of the attack should determine how fragile the cyclops "feels". This is the part you can play with- 2 attacks to destroy the cyclops and it feels made of paper, 20+ attacks to destroy it and will feel unstoppable. Either way the player (optimally)has more than enough time to react to each one and prevent losing their cyclops so it never feels unfair. Of course, exceptions for leviathans would make sense.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I love the fact that the Cyclops is now something of a liability (rather than being an invulnerable self-sufficient base that largely replaces the need for bases).

I'd go with:
    - Possibly reducing the frequency of attacks
    - Reduce the frequency of fire, but make fire much more dangerous (i.e. more prone to spreading).
    - A longer count down after the Cyclops has been critically damaged (to give the player more time to evacuate after it is clear that the sub can't be saved).

But honestly, self-repair or sprinkler systems would just take too much out of the gameplay.

P.S. Anyone think that one should be able to dynamite large deposits early in the game?
  • notchblo2910notchblo2910 sharlston Join Date: 2016-03-16 Member: 214317Members
    May i ask why the cyclops has no weapons...

SERIOUSLY all the weapons we have is a vortex and gas torpedo and a hot knife as weapons
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    I like the new features of the Cyclops i hated the fact that it was invulnerable now all we need is more upgrades
  • nocommonsensenocommonsense Join Date: 2016-08-16 Member: 221427Members
    In game explanation "Weapons were removed from standard survival blueprints following the massacre on Obraxis Prime. As an essential survival tool for 2.5 million years, the knife remains the only exception. Sorry about that." Their Aynrandistan government seems to be late stage as it's resorting to a repertoire of totalitarian methods according to the pda's you pick up, holding back on weapons for de facto corporate surfs in spite of the consequences in an emergency fits the setting like a glove. Had the Captain remained alive he might have had access to weapons if he was corporate nobility, any ability to access that information died with him.

The devs decided they didn't want their game to be another shoot-em-up so part of the flavor is an absence of weapons. The unintended side effect is that it pushed the game into the horror genre, which imho was a good thing. There are other methods of damaging stuff (prawn suit punching and seamoth electro-discharge are murderous), you just have to be creative.

After more playtesting I found my first dead cyclops was mostly caused by bugs affecting the sea level near the precursor gun. Reapers on their own aren't an overwhelming threat. Mostly it's the oddness of bonesharks being a pain when an armored seamoth can plow through effortlessly (armored seamoth can also ram a cyclops to death). Bigger problem is that prawn suit docking has always been tricky, lost of stuff that does zero damage to the suit like landing on top of the cyclops will quickly send the cyclops to the bottom. One bump and there's a fire, kind of excessive. I haven't taken a new cyclops through the DGR yet but given my past experience maneuvering
    there it will be a no go zone unless you have a shield and are really patient.

9z64x3va35l9.jpg
    vhpvre5yi7lc.jpg
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited April 2017
    May i ask why the cyclops has no weapons...

SERIOUSLY all the weapons we have is a vortex and gas torpedo and a hot knife as weapons

Because the Dev's decided early on in the development stage, that this game would not be about the "Killer Instinct" inherent in the human psyche.

Therefore, They concluded that weapons would be a minimal part of the overall game play.

B)
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Definitely looks like its been taken too far in terms of fragility, I simply wouldn't risk using it for... anything. Unless I feel like wasting time and resources. There is no way I'd stuff it full of lockers like I do now. It's good for sitting at the surface in deep-water biomes for the locker space and mobile recharging, but its pretty much useless other than that. I wouldn't dare use it as a mobile base this way. I know they'll change it as more feedback gets in, so this is solely an 'as it stands' reply.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    edited April 2017
    There's a few things I think should be done. But I think this could be a good suggestion

1 Either only big creatures can hurt the cyclops, so Ampeels, the Leviathans, crabsquids, lava lizards and I guess any roaming crabsnakes but that is it no other damage can be done from any other creature. No it shouldn't be a fortress. But since seamoths and prawn suits can survive damage from most things other than leviathan creatures, The cyclops should really be more durable.

Or an upgrade can be made much like the pressure modules for the seamoth/prawn suit. When you first make the cyclops, it is extremely fragile. Then you can upgrade hull integrity MK 1, MK 2, MK 3 MK 4, think 4 would be enough and would be interesting too.

Hull integrity MK 1, basically removes all damage from collisions unless at full speed, removes damage done by small creatures, including all small herbivores, biters, cave crawlers, stalkers and sandsharks. But everything else can still damage it. Starts off small to make maybe 4 plasteel ingots, 2 aluminum oxides and lubricant

Hull integrity MK 2, any collision damage is negated, completely protects against the previous creatures but also includes bonesharks, river prowlers and warpers. 4 plasteel ingots, 3 aluminum oxides, 5 uranium crystals (uranium needs more purpose), or maybe 10 mercury ore or something making mercury useful.

Hull integrity MK 3, All the above, but also negates against attacks from crabsquids, ampeels and lava lizards. 10 plasteel ingots, 10 aluminum oxide crystals, 10 lubricants, 10 something else?

Hull integrity MK 4, Negates any damage done by any creature other than those classed as leviathan in nature. But does manage to negate up to 70% of damage depending upon the leviathan class. Sea dragons do 20% damage on their biggest attack, reaper leviathans do 10% damage. But MK 4 requires something like 12 plasteel ingots, 13 sulphur, 10 kyanite, 10 mercury, 15 nickel (ok these are random numbers), they can figure out the costs. But I think sulphur and kyanite are needed to protect against the sea dragon

Then I think the fires and control of hull integraty

2 No fires. The fires make little to no sense in my opinion. I understand outside damage, but the fires are virtually pointless. And more serve as another pointless thing to manage.

Basically in survival and hardcore you have to deal with, hunger, oxygen and water. With the cyclops added, you need to manage, energy, storage, external and internal damage. Internal damage by fire doesn't make such sense to me. I feel like it is a feature which took a lot of coding like with the added smoke effects and fires ect. But it isn't neccessary.

3 The shield should be changed, not to negate against all damage by should be used to get rid of the lava larva. They are really annoying and actually just them themselves gave me a lot of travel in the lava zone because there were so many of them and they drain power way to quickly.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    I don't know about all of this.

If one has a progression where one is able to eventually 'level up' to the point of invulnerability - then the gameplay just ends near the end of the game.

This was the issue I had with farming (given the lack of blights) and with the solar cells for the seamoth etc. - by mid-late game you've overcome most of the obstacles that make for 'gameplay'.
  • Shady_oneShady_one Join Date: 2017-04-08 Member: 229491Members
    edited April 2017
    I'm basically agree with aforementioned, but:
    - Please don't forget that Cyclops is made of plasteel, which is more durable than regular titanium. So Cyclops HAVE to be more sturdy than Seamoth/Prawn.
    - Ability to withstand any collision when at slow/silent running speed (maybe when above sub-critical depth), maybe even regular speed.
    - Increase overall Cyclops HP, so that bonesharks and spine eels are no more than minor disturbance, unless you ar are low health already.
    - Ability to use shield to ward off/detach lava larvae. For now it is only removing all power cells or swimming around with knife/propulsion, as the sh**y things are spawning around like rabbits in spring.
    - Fire does make sense. We have our first fire in the pod at the beginning, we have some fires on Aurora when exploring, so why don't have them onboard of Cyclops too? Still, it's better to reduce the chance of fire in order not to turn the game in "crazy fireman on board of sinking cub" stuff
    - Maybe increase stealth when in silent running mode? Like, if sub is in SR and not moving completely, it is unnoticeable for any creature, for them it's just like a piece of rock
    - I've never noticed bonesharks or prowlers attacking big creatures like reefbacks or Leviathans, so why would they attack Cyclops, which is about same size? Also, it would be great to use sub horn to scare away some small predators (but attract bigger ones)
    - I think only one Cyclops hull upgrade would be enough, like chassis upgrade for Seamoth, but an expensive one. That one will completely remove any damage from predators but biggest ones, like leviathans. Electric shock of spine eel or EMP blast of crabsquid will still affect you.
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Like many folks, I assume the developers made the Cyclops more "squishy" to start so that it would be easier to test damage, repairs, fires and total destruction of the Cyclops. I assume there will be a number of changes as time goes by including: making the Cyclops more durable, making fires occurs less often, bone sharks attack less frequently and/or do less damage, etc.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited April 2017
    kingdoo10 wrote: »

2 No fires. The fires make little to no sense in my opinion. I understand outside damage, but the fires are virtually pointless. And more serve as another pointless thing to manage.

Basically in survival and hardcore you have to deal with, hunger, oxygen and water. With the cyclops added, you need to manage, energy, storage, external and internal damage. Internal damage by fire doesn't make such sense to me. I feel like it is a feature which took a lot of coding like with the added smoke effects and fires ect. But it isn't neccessary.

3 The shield should be changed, not to negate against all damage by should be used to get rid of the lava larva. They are really annoying and actually just them themselves gave me a lot of travel in the lava zone because there were so many of them and they drain power way to quickly.

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2341064/#Comment_2341064

(second part, where I bolded the text)
    ApoNono wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I am new to the community but thought I would add my 2 cents as a former submariner for the US Navy.

Out of everything we experienced while I was on the boat, be it a drill or an actual emergency, the most terrifying thing I ever experience on a sub was flooding. You are X number of meters under the surface of the ocean and a hole opens up in the boat... and you start to take on water. If you do not react quick enough to stop the flooding you will lose entire compartments. As compartments are lost your ability to get the boat to the surface is greatly reduced, even if you made it to the surface at the initial sign of flooding your ability to keep it there is greatly reduced.

I was unlucky enough to experience 1 true flooding emergency on the boat. We were... deep down and were running drills with our 3 inch countermeasure tube. The safety failed and we ended up with a 3 inch hole open to the full pressure of the ocean trying to get in. The speed at which that small hole filled the bilges was insane.

I have experienced the flooding currently in the game when I built a base in the Grand Reef without looking at my hull integrity. It was a bad situation but luckily I had my Cyclops with me AND luckily the cyclops can't take damage because I may or may not have hit my base with it. :) That whole situation was great and the auto draining after I corrected the problems was great.

The Cyclops already has hatches built into the main bulkheads separating the engine compartment from the vehicle hanger from the control room. The player could shut the doors to limit the flooding while they got the boat to a safe place. X% of flooding would limit the climb back to the surface. Or if the engine compartment flooded it would power the boat down and turn off O2 production. Maybe it even destroys the power cells? It would even be cool if it wasn't 100% repairable with the repair tool and required the crafting of some new material to patch the hull. (Sorry I am getting into WAY too much wishful thinking)

From a fire standpoint, yes fire sucks on a boat BUT it is easier to handle. Fire alone will not sink a boat (it can incapacitate it though). It does something else, it forces you to the surface to vent the smoke out while you work to contain the situation. The fire can destroy the boat from an electrical / mechanical perspective but from a terror perspective flooding is the monster in the closet waiting to strike when you least expect it.

To be down in the Lost River in my Cyclops and be taking on water would be a true panic situation. Did I prepare enough to have the needed material to repair damage? Was I able to shut compartments down so that the boat didn't sink to the bottom? Did I bring my seamoth or prawn with me to be able to extract myself back to base for supplies? Did I fail at slowing the leak and my Cyclops is now on the bottom of the ocean, blocking my seamoth/prawn from exiting and I am faced with the reality that I am going to die.

Sorry this is so long, in closing I would be 100% behind having to deal with flooding over fire from a true terror standpoint that your safe place in the middle of the ocean is no longer safe and requires a quick response time to ensure you can get out of the situation alive and with your Cyclops intact.

Thanks

• xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited April 2017
    At the first place, it is ridiculous, that something like a sandshark is able to sink a large submersible, capable of diving up to 1500m deep.
    Pressure at such depth is about 15 MPa. (depends on gravity and the exact water density) That is 1500 tons per a single square meter!

And while our sub is capable of resisting such an extreme pressure, it will sink because of some tiny sharks...

So here go some suggestions:
    1. Pressure compensators should affect Cyclops durability, especially the Ultra Hull Reinforcement Module. This thing requires more stuff than the submarine itself, so it should make the Cyclops impervious to all mid-size predators, maybe even reapers, while in shallow waters. On the other hand, colisions should still be a thing.
    2. Depth based damage model (3 "zones" maybe: 0-500m, 500-1000m and finally 1000-1500m, where the sub would be really fragile).
    3. Sea Dragon beeing an extreme threat, since it is encountered somewhere near the crush depth. Also some damage from lava lizards, but they would rather eat lava larvaes atached to the Cyclops.
    4. As many above suggested, a possibility to leave the shield permanently on at significint energy cost. It would allow us to leave the sub for a while without worrying, that it will sink in the meantime.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    If the Cyclops is too vulnerable, it will become priority to clear a save path for it first with the PRAWN or whatever means available, leaving a stream of corpses in its wake.

Non-lethal methods need to be more convenient and effective than just plowing everything under or killing everything will be the go-to method of approaching the game.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    kingdoo10 wrote: »

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2341064/#Comment_2341064

(second part, where I bolded the text)
    ApoNono wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I am new to the community but thought I would add my 2 cents as a former submariner for the US Navy.

Out of everything we experienced while I was on the boat, be it a drill or an actual emergency, the most terrifying thing I ever experience on a sub was flooding. You are X number of meters under the surface of the ocean and a hole opens up in the boat... and you start to take on water. If you do not react quick enough to stop the flooding you will lose entire compartments. As compartments are lost your ability to get the boat to the surface is greatly reduced, even if you made it to the surface at the initial sign of flooding your ability to keep it there is greatly reduced.

I was unlucky enough to experience 1 true flooding emergency on the boat. We were... deep down and were running drills with our 3 inch countermeasure tube. The safety failed and we ended up with a 3 inch hole open to the full pressure of the ocean trying to get in. The speed at which that small hole filled the bilges was insane.

I have experienced the flooding currently in the game when I built a base in the Grand Reef without looking at my hull integrity. It was a bad situation but luckily I had my Cyclops with me AND luckily the cyclops can't take damage because I may or may not have hit my base with it. :) That whole situation was great and the auto draining after I corrected the problems was great.

The Cyclops already has hatches built into the main bulkheads separating the engine compartment from the vehicle hanger from the control room. The player could shut the doors to limit the flooding while they got the boat to a safe place. X% of flooding would limit the climb back to the surface. Or if the engine compartment flooded it would power the boat down and turn off O2 production. Maybe it even destroys the power cells? It would even be cool if it wasn't 100% repairable with the repair tool and required the crafting of some new material to patch the hull. (Sorry I am getting into WAY too much wishful thinking)

From a fire standpoint, yes fire sucks on a boat BUT it is easier to handle. Fire alone will not sink a boat (it can incapacitate it though). It does something else, it forces you to the surface to vent the smoke out while you work to contain the situation. The fire can destroy the boat from an electrical / mechanical perspective but from a terror perspective flooding is the monster in the closet waiting to strike when you least expect it.

To be down in the Lost River in my Cyclops and be taking on water would be a true panic situation. Did I prepare enough to have the needed material to repair damage? Was I able to shut compartments down so that the boat didn't sink to the bottom? Did I bring my seamoth or prawn with me to be able to extract myself back to base for supplies? Did I fail at slowing the leak and my Cyclops is now on the bottom of the ocean, blocking my seamoth/prawn from exiting and I am faced with the reality that I am going to die.

Sorry this is so long, in closing I would be 100% behind having to deal with flooding over fire from a true terror standpoint that your safe place in the middle of the ocean is no longer safe and requires a quick response time to ensure you can get out of the situation alive and with your Cyclops intact.

Thanks

I was more meaning for gameplay value and regards what is happening is the issue. When being attacked from the outside, what is being damaged? The hull integrity on the outside of the ship. As such I understand why the hull get's breached, however, fires wouldn't start at the frequency that they do right now. Once they have fixed everything damage related wise then fires could be added in, maybe once the cyclops gets very low health wise. But not after every other hit.

Right now I keep nodamage on whilst using the cyclops. Whilst I like a challenge, I don't see the fires doing anything other than being annoying. And whilst yes it is probably more realistic to have them in the game. Right now it's realism vs gameplay. And since we cannot have any weapons to protect ourselves, which is fine I've always liked that about this game, but I do think that if this is the case, then the cyclops has to be more durable than it already is.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I agree that only larger creatures should pose any threat to the 'clops. I'm fine with the reaper taking a chunk out of it... stalkers and bone sharks? Not so much.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I watched the IGP video and so far I love what I saw. Transition animations, hull integrity and damage, and more stuff to DO in the Cyclops! :love: My only complaints: the engine still makes horrible noise (I know the point is the noise attracts creatures, but the sound effect is nauseating), and the Board Cyclops 'tooltip' seems to stay up forever. I hope those issues are addressed eventually, but otherwise I can't wait for this update! :blush:
    edited April 2017
    Shady_one wrote: »
    - Maybe increase stealth when in silent running mode? Like, if sub is in SR and not moving completely, it is unnoticeable for any creature, for them it's just like a piece of rock
    It pretty much is this already. If you are in silent running mode, it is unlikely you are giving off enough noise to attract any creatures.

Well, I think "unlikely" it is when sub is *moving* in SR mode. I mean, if you are standing still in "silent running" mode, you should make no sound at all, isn't that what *silent* meant to be? Putting out anything that could make any noise? I might be mistaking, but I've just seen on youtube prowlers attacking Cyclops even when standing perfectly still in SR mode. Or is it just a bug?
    By the way, will the animals attack sub when player is out? Meaning will we be able to leave Cyclops unattended without fear it will be chewed away by a some hungry crabsquid?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    It pretty much is this already. If you are in silent running mode, it is unlikely you are giving off enough noise to attract any creatures.

Well, I think "unlikely" it is when sub is *moving* in SR mode. I mean, if you are standing still in "silent running" mode, you should make no sound at all, isn't that what *silent* meant to be? Putting out anything that could make any noise? I might be mistaking, but I've just seen on youtube prowlers attacking Cyclops even when standing perfectly still in SR mode. Or is it just a bug?
    By the way, will the animals attack sub when player is out? Meaning will we be able to leave Cyclops unattended without fear it will be chewed away by a some hungry crabsquid?

I agree with you, to a certain point. Even tho in complete still you make no noise the fauna around you can still see you and attack. I understand that fish arent very bright but im pretty sure they can make the difference between a rock and a humongeous ''thing'' they never saw before
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    edited April 2017
    Spawned cyclops in, got just out of radiation range of Aurora, and was in process of spawning myself a radiation suit, when the Aurora's reactor exploded. I was unharmed from it, but then the Cyclops got hull breaches everywhere, and the hologram display explaining the hull breaches caught on fire, getting rid of the fire, I hear a strange noise and see the rest of the sub exploding in front of me, and I die.

That explosion animation is terrifying, but I feel like the Cyclops exploded when it shouldn't have.
  • IcremunIcremun Join Date: 2016-09-12 Member: 222276Members
    I would like the shield to be a toggle, with a base energy rate that is much lower than what it is now, that increases when it is taking damage. Make is so that you cant just leave it up because then you would just run out of energy.
    Rainstorm wrote: »

I agree with you, to a certain point. Even tho in complete still you make no noise the fauna around you can still see you and attack. I understand that fish arent very bright but im pretty sure they can make the difference between a rock and a humongeous ''thing'' they never saw before
    They might see sub and even understand that it's the thing that wasn't here before, yet there is no reason for them to attack. It's not moving, not making any noises and is not a direct threat. Of course they won't cease attacking immediately when you stop, but if it's standing still already, they most likely won't take much notice. A shark may be curious and attracted to a thing it has never seen before, but it won't bite unless think it's prey. And only animal we know that likes to chew metal is stalker.
  • grimper12341grimper12341 Join Date: 2017-04-10 Member: 229539Members
    edited April 2017
    I've been loving development up until this point, but I just to had to make an account to address this.

What was wrong with the old way the Cyclops sank? It could only be done by going below max depth, but it was a far more interesting mechanic. Cracks would start to appear and water would come flooding in, and as it got more damaged new cracks would appear almost as fast as you could repair them. As it filled the Cyclops would lose its balance and start listing, eventually completely filling and dropping to the ocean floor.

Now, suddenly we have fires and a large dramatic explosion in an electric powered submarine, and no sign of any water. It doesn't make any sense.

I much prefer the old method, with a few improvements. Taking damage from creatures obviously, making the bulkheads functional, and the ability to recover the Cyclops later after it has sunk by repairing everything (possibly requiring specialist equipment you have to go and fetch) and letting the auto-drain systems empty it.

(Not my video, posted for clarity)