ns2_eclipse_redux

IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2017 in Mapping
Edit: Map is no longer being worked on.

I've been working on this Eclipse variant as a hobby over the course of the past few months and I finally am making a thread about it.

Initially intended to just focus on making Eclipse more enjoyable in pub environments, but the map has since turned into it's own thing.

Notable changes include but are not limited to:

Brought the Maintenance side of the map closer to Computer Core
Added an RT in East Foyer to aid the marines and act as a pseudo double res natural
Tried to consolidate the amount of map lanes to four key points
Opened up certain parts of the map

Here's the -now outdated- map layout.
9D199E033F62A91F4F2CB9AC3885F20C92D5EF2D

Gameplay footage courtesy of BeigeAlert.

Screenshots
43BC232C124B3866084FFEAA0EA4517EC1859D95
6C1D84D89AF00057691929844E55FCD7D3AC460E
06E68CA209153F89917FCCCA93CDA56B8858844A

Check the Steam workshop page for more images and to download the map.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=843420024

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Played it in SCC yesterday, plays better than the original imo. Pls replace this with the official. Thank you :smiley:
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    After very brief testing, the map already clearly plays better than the official map... It does however require some slight modification in my opinion, there are certain dead-ends that can cause confusion and one or two VERY tight corridor connections (so tight an onos barely fits through)... adjust this and I can see me genuinely enjoying playing Eclipse.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2017
    Small update:

Improved skulk movement around the Maintenance glass tubes
    Testing the removal of the Access Alpha to East Foyer vent to help reduce the frequency of harassment
    Moved the Access Alpha RT and Power node to their original spot

Screenshots
    D8Ksw7k.png
    67660C7B0B1A3107E1D79C6D3506ABED91711869
    86445423B5379E8B5C049E16335D9605B21986A8

Skulk collision video
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2017
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Played it in SCC yesterday, plays better than the original imo. Pls replace this with the official. Thank you :smiley:

That is definitely a possibility in the future. :)

I have an idea for eliminating some of the confusion in the South Loop area. Move South Loop down further south-east. This frees up some of the clutter in that area, and also means the marine commander cannot arc out the alien natural so easily... not that that's happened yet in our testing, but it's a possibility.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2017
    My biggest gripe with Eclipse is that it has too many narrow hallways. The map consists of like 75% hallway, which is too much choke. It is (too) good for the aliens early game, because you're constantly in bite range as a skulk, but (too) bad in mid to late game because you're constantly in shotgun range.

As a lerk you need to be able to spike shotgun marines and as a fade you need to be able to maneuver around the shotguns meatshot range. Currently this is only really possible in Triad, the tech point rooms and maybe Keyhole (ceiling could be higher).

There needs to be fighting room for big engagements all around the the map.

Generator Monitors is way too clustered. You should remove the walls to the east and west of the RT and increase the room height. Maybe use pillars.

The Conduit part below Alpha Access should also be enlarged to the north and south and have its height increased.

I don't really know what to do about the whole south loop area. I think you need to merge some of the rooms or make a bigger south loop.

Computer Core hive is not defendable against arcs from Core Access at all. It's huge choke point without a away around for the life forms. You either need to move the techpoint back to the south and remove that siege spot or drastically enlarge Core Access.

I've marked the parts with blue squares where I think that enlargement needs to happen.
    PxwQbJj.jpg
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @Bicsum I think the south side of core access is perfect, wide corridor with cover in the middle and the doorway as the choke point. The rest I totally agree with!
    I don't know man. I felt kind of helpless trying to defend the gorges as a fade. The marines don't need to push out of that choke and can just chill on top of their arcs, while the back side isn't reachable, since it is blocked by two phase gates in Generator Monitors and T-Junction.

And even if you manage to reach the marines, it is just a terrible place to fight in. It's a narrow hallway with stairs. It's just suicide to go in there.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Bicsum wrote: »
    My biggest gripe with Eclipse is that it has too many narrow hallways. The map consists of like 75% hallway, which is too much choke. It is (too) good for the aliens early game, because you're constantly in bite range as a skulk, but (too) bad in mid to late game because you're constantly in shotgun range.

As a lerk you need to be able to spike shotgun marines and as a fade you need to be able to maneuver around the shotguns meatshot range. Currently this is only really possible in Triad, the tech point rooms and maybe Keyhole (ceiling could be higher).

There needs to be fighting room for big engagements all around the the map.
    Very well said.
    This should go in some way into the mapping guidelines or webbed tipps or whatever

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Such is the woes of NS1 map remakes. UWE went for a 1:1 approach for the most part and as such the map is filled condensed hallways rather than large open rooms like NS2.

I will see what I can do about certain areas of the map but straight up redesigning a majority of the rooms is beyond the scope for what I intended with this balance project.
    edited April 2017
    I guess it isn't possible to just select a section of the map and scale it to 120%? Or select a rooms ceiling and move it up and then reconnect the walls back to it?

So that you'd just extend the existing hallways to make them more room-like?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Bicsum wrote: »
    I guess it isn't possible to just select a section of the map and scale it to 120%? Or select a rooms ceiling and move it up and then reconnect the walls back to it?

So that you'd just extend the existing hallways to make them more room-like?

Unfortunately not, you have to do it all manually... there is a scale tool, but altering large sections is just plain bad and causes more issues than it solves. the scale you're talking about, it would probably be easier to go in and alter each bit manually over time... but its a LOT of work.
    Minor update:

Widened the corridor leading from Power sub to Computer Core.

Before and After
    Ce8xxvi.jpg
    PyV9asn.jpg
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    yeah you should believe @Kasharic he speaks out of my experience
    Update: 99 - Plant Loop
    30D9542F1EA68665C9B2EAF13C488C4C675430B7
    C4C402A437DDACC31F5B29FA1100797AD534EE6A

Not to start a pro-plant anti-plant war, but I added 4 plants into south loop after inverting the platform. The taller plants have collision inside them so skulks can walljump easier.

plants are a bit inconsistent around the entire games. Some have collision and some don't have so I would always place them outside of playable area and replace those with something else.
    Update 100: Deadly plant disease edition

K7CkSKVl.jpg
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Update: 99 - Plant Loop
    30D9542F1EA68665C9B2EAF13C488C4C675430B7
    C4C402A437DDACC31F5B29FA1100797AD534EE6A

Not to start a pro-plant anti-plant war, but I added 4 plants into south loop after inverting the platform. The taller plants have collision inside them so skulks can walljump easier.

Loki is pleased.

Update 100: Deadly plant disease edition

K7CkSKVl.jpg

You have angered Loki.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    My pov from today's playtest. I forgot to stop recording in the middle, so both rounds are in the same video.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited April 2017
    IEPT please watch the video at 30:05 - :10 when Beige jumps into that doorwall too.
    It's very misleading to lot of players.
    The problem isn't only the spotlight on it, but it also looks kinda like a door.
    Just remove the spotlight and/or change texture or put prop in front of it.
    edited April 2017
    @pSyk0mAn Players aren't going there because it's misleading, they're going there because it's still in subconscious memory that you could go through there. I even put a prop where the doorway is and people still walk in there.

It's the phantom pain of doorways.
    @IeptBarakat not only that. Both the light + the trims on the floor signal that there is still something. That is called routing btw and afaik successful routing is done with lights and trims
    edited April 2017
    I removed the spotlight and I'll work more on it later, maybe put a curve so it flows better onto conduit.
  • ZdrytchXZdrytchX Australia Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212662Members
    I just realised that there are no vents linking to Marine Start.

If the games start on the west and east side, the marine start room should get a vent or two perhaps one from west route to security and another one to the "tip" of horseshoe.
    ZdrytchX wrote: »
    I just realised that there are no vents linking to Marine Start.

If the games start on the west and east side, the marine start room should get a vent or two perhaps one from west route to security and another one to the "tip" of horseshoe.

Marines always start in the north, so Horizontal spawns can't happen.

Also, putting Vents into the marine starting location is 99% of the time a bad idea. if this were to be done, it would have to be done incredibly carefully, and be thought through before making that change.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I will only call it sloop from now on.
    Here's the second round from eclipse today. (I didn't bother including the first round... we had a hacker, or smurf... or something in the first round. Obscenely good aim, and only 30 hours in ns2 (according to hive)... and private steam profile...)

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Vetinari wrote: »
    I will only call it sloop from now on.

We called it sloop on Wonga before it was cool! x) (ns1)
    edited June 2017
    Update 110: 1 update, 10 hotfixes edition

I pushed a throwback build with the intention of testing whether the downfall of Eclipse start being a reliable alien start and second hive pick was related to the previous map changes, also included is a power sub junction based off of the one in eclipse_v1 by samusdroid.

It should also be easier for a comp core hive to defend against arcs.

HojTMTol.png
    5SiCKn2.jpg
    Rf0cPgd.jpg
    5CFm5DY.jpg

Reverted due to balance.

SRsPP2L.png

Pushed a slightly different one.