Subnautica on Oculus Home

Virtuix_Virtuix_ Small Blue Green Planet 3rd from the Sun Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229210Members
Hi,
I am planning to purchase Subnatuica for use with the Oculus Rift headset, and I would like to know whether to buy it on Steam or Oculus Home. I know the version on Steam receives frequent updates and supports both normal and VR gameplay, however I would much rather purchase on Oculus Home purely for the ease of launching it quickly. I want to know if the version on Oculus Home is also frequently updated and whether it also supports normal gameplay as well as VR.

Looking forward to playing Subnautica!

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited March 2017
    Just as a disclaimer, I don't know if what I say is 100% true, (as I don't own an Oculus Rift) so fair warning.

I believe that you can purchase it off of the Oculus Home, and it will work fine. It is a few days behind each new update, but otherwise, it's the same either way.

Hopefully, someone with a much better knowledge on this topic can prove or disprove what I said.

I would hold off until @0x6A7232 can get over here. He probably knows something. He usually does. :)

• wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    I think I what a oculus!

What I have one!r4qi443wcbz9.png
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Just as a disclaimer, I don't know if what I say is 100% true, (as I don't own an Oculus Rift) so fair warning.

I believe that you can purchase it off of the Oculus Home, and it will work fine. It is a few days behind each new update, but otherwise, it's the same either way.

Hopefully, someone with a much better knowledge on this topic can prove or disprove what I said.

I would hold off until @0x6A7232 can get over here. He probably knows something. He usually does. :)

Except my knowledge of VR is limited to what I read here. I don't own a VR headset yet. I'd say go with Subnautica on Steam just because it's the primary release platform, but if you're saying it's easier to launch from Occulus Home, well, that is a supported store, so it shouldn't really make a difference, besides maybe a few days wait for updates. I don't really have any experience with Occulus Home.
    Or, you could have your cake and eat it too:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5jigiz/launch_steamvr_from_oculus_home/
    example: http://gamedummy.com/steamvrforoculus/

It seems to require a bit of tinkering, but nothing too hard (I would say it's easy)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Steam has the ability to let you play in Experimental mode if you wish, or regular via Steam VR. You just launch the game, tell it to use SteamVR and it will load on your Oculus.

If you want to launch Subnautica via the Oculus Home only, you will need to purchase from the Oculus store. It's kept up-to-date with steam's regular version within a day or two usually.