'BOREALIS RISING' - A Subnautica Story V2.0.

Comments

• CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    So is the story going to be about the other AIs now?
  • The2musketeersThe2musketeers Decatur, GA Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216350Members
    Is this it? Is this the end?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Woah, woah... So is that a wrap?
  • CalvinTheDiverCalvinTheDiver A place Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222971Members
    Unfortunately, it looks like it.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    In living memory of Alexander Fergus Selkirk, we bid him a fond farewell.

May his robotic life rise like the ship of his design, the Borealis.

Adieu, Selkirk, adieu...

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I don't get it. His complete personality is backed up every time he sleeps. All that's lost is everything except the raw data since then. So Selkirk wakes up exactly as he was last time he slept, with a data + audio/video log of the events that transpired after that point for him to review. What's the big deal, am I misunderstanding something?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I don't get it. His complete personality is backed up every time he sleeps. All that's lost is everything except the raw data since then. So Selkirk wakes up exactly as he was last time he slept, with a data + audio/video log of the events that transpired after that point for him to review. What's the big deal, am I misunderstanding something?

But his body is too destroyed to house that said personality core.

Getting rid of the body pretty much means death.

He'll be fine in the future, but as for now, he's gone.
    Skope wrote: »

Oh. Yes, quite. I would imagine it would be like being in a brain-dead coma, and then waking up from it, except for the fact that you're a bit more certain of your eventual awakening. Probably still a bit frightening, but he's already died a few times now (three, to be exact, and now four).

Oh. Yes, quite. I would imagine it would be like being in a brain-dead coma, and then waking up from it, except for the fact that you're a bit more certain of your eventual awakening. Probably still a bit frightening, but he's already died a few times now (three, to be exact, and now four).

I think the real concern as of now is that the story is nearing its end (if it already hasn't ended) and Selkirk is gone, and we may never see him again. And that in itself is a sad thing.
    I didn't think it was over until Borealis blasts off?
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I won't believe this is the ending unless Bugzapper actually confirms it. Bit anticlimactic if so.
    But if Selkirk's telling the story, how is he dead?
    edited February 2017
    You can switch personas (wrong term, I forget what the correct one is) if you so choose when telling a story. Wouldn't be surprised if Bugzapper did this, or if he decided to give the story from the POV of others informing Selkirk of events after Selkirk comes to. Either way, it'll be great, I'm sure.
    @Bugzapper, could we get a confirmation on whether this is the end of the story or not?
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    In living memory of Alexander Fergus Selkirk, we bid him a fond farewell.

May his robotic life rise like the ship of his design, the Borealis.

Adieu, Selkirk, adieu...

Let me give you the Aussie version, the one that we call the last post...

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    @Bugzapper, could we get a confirmation on whether this is the end of the story or not?

Not hearing any singing from the Fat Lady yet, folks. ;)

There's more to come.

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    restored in precisely 420 seconds."

Bugzapper wrote: »

Not hearing any singing from the Fat Lady yet, folks. ;)

There's more to come.

THANK
    FREAKING
    GOODNESS
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited February 2017
    Sounds like he hasn't lost his memories after all. Welcome aboard, Selkirk 3.0.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I think we've all woken up a few times with no clear memory of yesterday. Of course, generally we wake up feeling the exact opposite of what Selkirk is feeling.

I wonder though, if this new body of his has any special features (aside from that one now exaggerated feature that it had before).

Can he fly? Shoot fireballs? Lightning bolts? E42 farts?
    sayerulz wrote: »
    I wonder though, if this new body of his has any special features (aside from that one now exaggerated feature that it had before).

Can he fly? Shoot fireballs? Lightning bolts? E42 farts?

Oooh. Close, but no banana. ;)

Well, I did not see that coming.

Polyakov is part of the Kharra.

I knew that swine wasn't finished yet.

• phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited February 2017
    Even if the hive mind was weakened due to the atmosphere, how did polyakov manage to beat a hive mind that has the ablity to control / influence a variety of dangerous xenos, so that he could temporarily take control.

And why would it keep the consciousness of polyakov alive within itself, what use is a psychotic, butt hurt, want-to-be communist to a intergalactic hive of biological monstrosities.

I know it makes sense from a narrative perspective but polyakov has to have one hell of a hate drive to do this.
    Even if the hive mind was weakened due to the atmosphere, how did polyakov manage to beat a hive mind that has the ablity to control / influence a variety of dangerous xenos, so that he could temporarily take control.

And why would it keep the consciousness of polyakov alive within itself, what use is a psychotic, butt hurt, want-to-be communist to a intergalactic hive of biological monstrosities.

I know it makes sense from a narrative perspective but polyakov has to have one hell of a hate drive to do this.

A reasonable question, and one that you have partially answered yourself. ;)

As soon as the Hive-mind realised how much of a threat Selkirk and the crew posed to the Kharaa as a whole, it was keen to gather as much intel on them as possible. Polyakov's assimilation must have seemed like an absolute bonus at the time, although they hadn't reckoned on the true extent of his hatred for Selkirk. Even though only fragments of his personality persisted intact within the collective, its insane desire to see Selkirk and Co. dead more or less matched the Hive's goals at this stage. As the last Hive entity was dying, Polyakov's personality still had sufficient strength of will to break through, if only to gloat one last time.

Yes, Polyakov hated Selkirk that much.
  • the_marinerthe_mariner US of A Join Date: 2016-12-29 Member: 225653Members
    edited February 2017
    Bugzapper wrote: »

A reasonable question, and one that you have partially answered yourself. ;)

As soon as the Hive-mind realised how much of a threat Selkirk and the crew posed to the Kharaa as a whole, it was keen to gather as much intel on them as possible. Polyakov's assimilation must have seemed like an absolute bonus at the time, although they hadn't reckoned on the true extent of his hatred for Selkirk. Even though only fragments of his personality persisted intact within the collective, its insane desire to see Selkirk and Co. dead more or less matched the Hive's goals at this stage. As the last Hive entity was dying, Polyakov's personality still had sufficient strength of will to break through, if only to gloat one last time.

Yes, Polyakov hated Selkirk that much.

Well, um...

Damn.

Polyakov just got assimilated by a millenia-old entity made up of the minds of the thousands it's killed, and not only does he have enough strength to overpower it, but he used his brief moment of control to send Selkirk the middle finger from the grave?!!

...Kudos to you, Gospodin Polyakov. You have balls of steel.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    I saw that Polyakov twist coming! But I half arsed expected him to somehow gain power or was granted Control over his own monstrosity!

What I absolutely loved tho was JUNO! Wow has she changed since the beginning! From a somewhat shy disinbodied voice, to a cursing sailor lol!

Now what I'm wondering is, did Selkirk's short lived death bring that out in her? Or has she always been capable of that kind of reaction?.