Any ideas for self-induced limits to make hardcore more difficult/real?

SarrokSarrok Join Date: 2017-02-10 Member: 227797Members
So I know most people consider this an exploration game more than a survival game, and that's perfectly fine. However, I would love for a harder/realistic Hardcore mode. Right now I play with several self-induced restrictions to make the game harder/realistic simply because the game right now does not make it difficult to survive in my opinion.

Here are some of the ways I try to make the game more difficult/real.

1. No building medkit fabricator (cant seem to dismantle the med fab in the lifeboat so I just ignore that one).
2. No building battery rechargers in the Cyclops (only in bases).
3. Only carry a max of two air tanks at a time.

That's all right now but I'm interested if anyone else has any ideas for self-induced restriction to make the game more difficult/realistic.

Comments

• SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Seaglide only.

'nuff said.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    1v1 stalker only final destination
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Seaglide only.

'nuff said.

I do something similar - only using a seamoth without solar panels. Although your approach sounds more hardcore.

I'm looking forward to someday trying to hack the dll files to slow the rate of food production from farming etc.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Get to the ILZ before you fabricate any equipment whatsoever. As soon as you start the game, farm for metal, turn them into pipes, and start a pipeline going all the way down to the ILZ. Once there, you can finally create a habitat builder and build your first base in the ILZ.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited February 2017
    Fluffers wrote: »
    Get to the ILZ before you fabricate any equipment whatsoever. As soon as you start the game, farm for metal, turn them into pipes, and start a pipeline going all the way down to the ILZ. Once there, you can finally create a habitat builder and build your first base in the ILZ.

Cool idea, but how could you build a habitat builder? The habitat builder needs to be built by a Fabricator, which needs a base to build in. But you can't build a base without the Habitat Builder, in which you need...

You see where I'm going with this.

EDIT: I guess you could go back up to the surface to your lifepod and build one, but that would take a long time.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Seaglide only.

'nuff said.

I do something similar - only using a seamoth without solar panels. Although your approach sounds more hardcore.

I'm looking forward to someday trying to hack the dll files to slow the rate of food production from farming etc.

I think you're looking for configuration files, I don't think they'd be in the .dll files - maybe someone familiar with coding can chime in. I mean I guess it's technically possible to store that info in a .dll but to my knowledge usually it isn't? @ant_fio
  • JudgeRhadamanthusJudgeRhadamanthus The Internet Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208246Members
    The air is Lava.

I up my hardcore by keeping from surfacing ever, with some necessary exceptions. Use of the fabricator in the pod (rushing a simple tube base and a fabricator for it then ditch the pod) and the getting into the Aura. You can take it up a level again by getting the PRAWN from the wrecks then use it on the island for anything only available there.

I use those bubble things and lots of tanks. You can carry the bubble plant with a propulsion cannon
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Avimimus wrote: »

I think you're looking for configuration files, I don't think they'd be in the .dll files - maybe someone familiar with coding can chime in. I mean I guess it's technically possible to store that info in a .dll but to my knowledge usually it isn't? @ant_fio

I read somewhere that Unity tended to keep a lot of those types of values in *.dll files (an odd place, but still a reasonable one to put them). Lo and behold, I looked in the files and found some of the values.

Some other values are clearly missing from those files though (or at the very least I can't find them).

• ant_fioant_fio Join Date: 2017-01-26 Member: 227275Members
    edited February 2017
    That would depend on what the devs exposed in configs. I don't know that it is necessarily a thing you can tweak, out of the box. As far as I know, Unity compiles all scripts to .NET dlls (Managed/MSIL), which ends up as some pretty high level machine code, but I don't know if there are exceptions. It will be missing all the comments and variable names, typically, but often by context it may be possible to glean an object or classes identity, if through experimentation. Reflection/binary patches are one thing. Decompiling dlls is maybe possible? But as I understand it would be post-optimization so there is some inelegance to what you get back.
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    Pretend the water is lava and don't touch it.

Can you imagine if our character was aquaphobic ? XD

Creating your own rules is a great way to make a game more fun and rewarding. In Skyrim for instance, my main character is Jolana Cermak, and she's not the dragonborn. So she can't use shouts. She's also vegetarian (and I use Frostfall and Realistic needs and diseases), can only carry 100 lbs and never received HP on lvl up. She's my Hardcore mode :)

I tried to replicate her here :

- Vegetarian (so I needed to work very fast to get to the island to scan the farming tools and get seeds.
    - Animal lover (so no killing fish to get water, need to find another way. Also, no killing in general, even hostiles)
    - Small frame (only 1 air canister)
    - No Cyclops(at first because it's buggy as hell on my game, but now it's a rule too, makes surviving long explorations more difficult)
    - Green energy only (which is funny when you build the docking pool, cuz whenever I dock a vehicle the base pretty much goes dark, especially at night ^^)
    -No medkit fabricator (you find so many of those everywhere anyway ...)

Doesn't the thermal power plant fall under the green energy? If you are at the moon pool stage you should have the thermal plant as well
  • HenryHingstHenryHingst Join Date: 2017-01-15 Member: 226783Members
    edited February 2017
    You might hate your lonely life but don't project it on others, thanks
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    1v1 stalker only final destination

No items, bring a fox
  • WinterholdKnightWinterholdKnight Join Date: 2017-01-10 Member: 226503Members
    edited February 2017
    SP_Kenny wrote: »

Doesn't the thermal power plant fall under the green energy? If you are at the moon pool stage you should have the thermal plant as well

It does and I do have it. My secondary bases use those, but for my main one I kinda chose a crappy location (deep down but with no volcanoes, and with very little sun light). I looks cool though ^^

But since the last update I have to restart anyway, my save got potatoed ^^
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    After the last update I went for it and nuked my two saves and started fresh...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2017
    I take it the Hardcore One-Life-Only-Mode has become to easy for some?

My suggestion would be don't build anything, just play as if you have to survive with just your wits and whatever you can catch and eat.

Pretend you are talking to Wilson and waiting for someone to rescue you.

See how long you can last in game time.

B)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I take it the Hardcore One-Life-Only-Mode has become to easy for some?

On 90% of games I play the hardest setting with Iron Man enabled if available. It's just how I enjoy games most.
    However, Subnautica: You Only Live Once is something I don't actually do. I've learned my lesson.

It's not really because it's "too hard" though... as long as you pay attention to your oxygen and keep a medkit on hand you should be fine, but sometimes, sometimes... you can die "unfairly"...

I've died from getting caught on things, bugging through objects and getting stuck, I've even been pinned under my Seamoth until I drowned like in one of those awesome diving safety videos someone posted a long time ago. (I'd love to see those videos again actually, might dig them out.)

Anyway it would suck to die in an unfair way after putting hours of work in, so I don't do it. Not yet at least. I might do it one day after release.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I take it the Hardcore One-Life-Only-Mode has pdato easy for some?

On 90% of games I play the hardest setting with Iron Man enabled if available. It's just how I enjoy games most.
    However, Subnautica: You Only Live Once is something I don't actually do. I've learned my lesson.

It's not really because it's "too hard" though... as long as you pay attention to your oxygen and keep a medkit on hand you should be fine, but sometimes, sometimes... you can die "unfairly"...

I've died from getting caught on things, bugging through objects and getting stuck, I've even been pinned under my Seamoth until I drowned like in one of those awesome diving safety videos someone posted a long time ago. (I'd love to see those videos again actually, might dig them out.)

Anyway it would suck to die in an unfair way after putting hours of work in, so I don't do it. Not yet at least. I might do it one day after release.

Once the pda voice was going on it's spiel about "fluctuations in the quantum dark matter drive core may result in a blah blah blah..." anyway, the voice was too busy telling me stuff I had already heard about 15 times, and it didn't tell me i was running out of o2 until it was too late... Then when I respawned it said "emergency - 10 seconds of oxygen remaining"
    NOW YOU TELL ME.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    I did the following in minecraft (old old Twitch minetrek series) before hardcore mode was introduced

- survival kit (2 food items and find other stuff like apples and weat in towns)
    - crafting bench
    - smelter
    - travel during the night
    - One life (well that is already ingame sooooooo)

It's not about progression, but pure survival and exploration.

Maybe you can use and modify some of these "rules" for your hardcore travels :D
    edited February 2017
    Folks say they want HARDCORE, but then complain when HARDCORE actually hits um in the ass...
    (and game glitches are part of real-life-hardcore, so using them as an excuse is LAME)

Go figure.
  • VoutareVoutare Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227314Members
    edited February 2017
    Seaglide only.

This (otherwise said: no Mobile Vehicle Bay)

Doing it myself right now (edit: not on hardcore though, survival is enough for me)

PS.
    Is there a way harvesting large resource nodes without PRAWN?
    edited February 2017
    Voutare wrote: »
    Seaglide only.

This (otherwise said: no Mobile Vehicle Bay)

Doing it myself right now (edit: not on hardcore though, survival is enough for me)

PS.
    Is there a way harvesting large resource nodes without PRAWN?

Nope
    B)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited February 2017
    Folks say they want HARDCORE, but then complain when HARDCORE actually hits um in the ass...
    (and game glitches are part of real-life-hardcore, so using them as an excuse is LAME)

Go figure.

Spoken like someone who's obviously never struggled through a Long War campaign, or even played FTL?
    Have you crawled through Darkest Dungeon or had your whole team killed by Orcs on Battle Brothers?
    What do all these games have in common? They're basically bug free. They couldn't do what they do best if they weren't.
    From what you say, I can easily deduce you don't actually play any game on hard settings yourself, or you'd know you're talking nonsense.

I'm pretty sure my real life self can't pass through solid rock and get stuck in the void underneath the seabed.
    I'm pretty sure my real life limbs don't get caught on pieces of coral without me being able to extricate myself.
    I'm pretty sure real life oxygen tanks have minutes of breathing, rather than seconds. (No, I'm not complaining about that, it's just that if you got stuck with half an hour before death, at least that would be dramatic. 30 seconds is just a frustration.)

There's no "noclip" command in real life and dying to bugs and BS after 30+ hours of investment is not fun.
  • JudgeRhadamanthusJudgeRhadamanthus The Internet Join Date: 2015-10-01 Member: 208246Members
    X-com2 long war...there is darksouls then for the weaklings who manage that then there is x-com2 long-war. After that... only men dare step.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Scanning for only fragments that are necessary to progress the story. So only the Cyclops, Cyclops Pressure Compensator, PRAWN Suit, and Modification Station are scannable. The only thing usable on the Modification Station is the Pressure Compensator upgrades. So no Interior or Exterior Growbeds or Alien Containment for food, no Water Filtration Machine for water, no reasonable bases over 200 meters deep due to relying on Solar Panels, no Power Cell or Battery Chargers, and no Moon Pool.

Recipes that are obtained from acquiring a certain resource like Rebreathers and Air Bladders are acceptable. The Ion Battery and Ion Power Cell is another acceptable item to use since it is obtained from an alien computer and not a fragment. It is possible to create a base over 200 meters deep with the use of a ton of vertical connectors.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2017

Relatively easy now that they're blocking off the other ILZ entrances. I've gotten down to the Lost River with just Pipes, and I'd rather dodge Crabsquids and Warpers than Reapers... No more dancing with leviathans to get down there.

The only thing that might be of concern is the Prowlers, so unless Stasis Rifles are off-limits.... :P

Next playthrough I'll definitely take another shot at that though, now that they've made some adjustments to things. Which entry point do you suggest though? Through the (arguably easier) southern trench or the northern route?
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Rezca wrote: »

Relatively easy now that they're blocking off the other ILZ entrances. I've gotten down to the Lost River with just Pipes, and I'd rather dodge Crabsquids and Warpers than Reapers... No more dancing with leviathans to get down there.

The only thing that might be of concern is the Prowlers, so unless Stasis Rifles are off-limits.... :P

Next playthrough I'll definitely take another shot at that though, now that they've made some adjustments to things. Which entry point do you suggest though? Through the (arguably easier) southern trench or the northern route?

trench.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Rezca wrote: »

trench.

A'right, that's the one I went through last time. Other than the two crabsquids at the LR entrance and the warper on the way down, it was pretty easy going. I'm wondering if the north entrance would be any harder...