Where do you typically build?

Comments

• gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    i really hope the devs leave the foundation platforms they are sopost to be removed with terraforming
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    edited January 2017
    This is out of date, however the basic theory applies:
    smc95ed2dupf.jpg

Bases are marked by diamond shapes.

I don't uses the Aurora or the Solar Charger module for the Seamoth... instead I force myself to build moonpools for recharging.

This means I look for:
    - Three biome junctions
    - Equidistant from each other and the end of the map
    - Scenic locals

Last time I built three... then started building another three at deeper/more remote locations. The Cyclops/PRAWN might be useful in late game though...

I wish there was some type of storm or disaster to force us to not build on the surface :D
    Oh, and if you want spooky - you can try building across from abandoned bases.
  • SP_KennySP_Kenny Southpark Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227115Members
    Avimimus wrote: »
    This is out of date, however the basic theory applies:
    smc95ed2dupf.jpg

Bases are marked by diamond shapes.

I don't uses the Aurora or the Solar Charger module for the Seamoth... instead I force myself to build moonpools for recharging.

This means I look for:
    - Three biome junctions
    - Equidistant from each other and the end of the map
    - Scenic locals

Last time I built three... then started building another three at deeper/more remote locations. The Aurora/PRAWN might be useful in late game though...

I wish there was some type of storm or disaster to force us to not build on the surface :D

I like your map

By Aurora are you not meaning the Cyclops sub?
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    edited January 2017
    My first base is just a few metres SE if the spawn lifepod in the Safe Shallows. It slopes steeply down to the red grass to the east, with safe shallows to my back and sides and creepvine a little off to my right.

Second base was also in safe shallows to west across the creepvine trench, the common place for one it seems. I also have another in the eastern mushroom forest, one under the floating island by the thermal vents and an entrance to the Deep Grand Reef. I have one on top of the Lava Castle, and by the thermal vent in the tree cove, and in that bit between the DGR and the ILZ, where you used to have to damage your seamoth to get under the old roof to reach the lava castle [used lots of power transmitters to get power from the DGR vents :open_mouth:]. Oh and one of the little underwater islands as a vent on, I have one there too. And another 2 that I can't be bothered explaining.

I seem to have quite a lot. Plus the moonpools, and external growbeds with that oxygen coral and a creepvine (works as a guiding lantern) that I have scattered around where the seamoth can't go... I like using the seaglide and the oxygen growbeds (I carry 255 oxygen) just keep me going.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    It was @Kouji_San - He made me start seeing things...
    smc95ed2dupf_zpsjfs0zyel.jpg

Whoops, I seem to have forgotten the seals whiskers :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    It was @Kouji_San - He made me start seeing things...
    smc95ed2dupf_zpsjfs0zyel.jpg

BOI, hv'ye been in my magic cookiejar!??!?
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    (Grand Reef Coordinates: -375.0 -160.0 -725.0)

I've stated before in an earlier post that location is my go-to spot for ultimate base building. It has four thermal vents to allow for adequate infinite power, there's a wreck nearby with Moonpool/Thermal Plant/Scanning Room fragments, and its deep enough to house the Cyclops. It's very close to the Floating Island should you need to restock plantlife such as the Lantern Fruit (or need to warp later on to the Precursor Gun island). Nearby is the Sea Treader Path if you need to farm the area, and it allows access to the Deep Grand Reef for future storyline access.

I can't imagine having a base anywhere else, but some of the other suggestions have been pretty sweet. I may consider going deeper into the ILZ or Lost River biomes later on, though.
  • JckingJcking Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227344Members
    edited January 2017
    I always build in the dunes. sure the place has leviathans, but TONS of valuable resources (and the sea treaders are close by) and that is generally my mining base (because most of the ores there can only be harvested with the PRAWN suit). that base runs on a bioreactor fueled by the creep vine that is grown onsite.
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    I always start at the floating island beach, then build out and down. You can build anything of any size in open water.
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Seeing things? I always see this in older maps (it's to a lesser extent on newer ones)
    7xgn93v2l53y.png
    02-Mercedes-Benz-Lifestyle-Super-Mario-Maker-Games-Nintendo-GLA-660x602.jpg
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    i have a spot in the safeshallows/ kelp forest with a platoe and cliff that just reaches the surface enough to have a solar-farm and gets deep enough for the cyclops and a moonpool

lmctgfn0vgwt.jpg

5kt0lz4f9uxc.jpg

w8jcos35ogu8.jpg

Um... wow. What are the coordinates for that area bacause it's awesome and I now want to try that.

And what on earth are you doing with all those solar panels.

coordinates are -206.3,-41.1,49.6 I think this is close
    c825q7gd7m99.jpg

i have so many panels to power my base through the night
    SP_Kenny wrote: »
    I like your map

By Aurora are you not meaning the Cyclops sub?

Thanks! Yes, corrected. :)
  • LightSapfierLightSapfier Russia Join Date: 2017-01-29 Member: 227424Members
    Guess where it is, planning to place an observation room high on the top for an awesome view.peg4k0hx66ol.jpg
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Just south of the aurora theres a convenient plateau thats right inbetween 3 biomes: a Creepvine Forest, the Grand Reef and a Grassy Plateau. i love to make a decent size base there then i make several smaller outposts on different points elsewhere on the map. That exact spot seem to have been designed specifically for this purpose :smiley:

Heres the original spot untouched: (-156, -16, -575)
    8tkpmuadwp7c.jpg

Heres an exemple of usual layout i use as a main base:bpmbddiu7ki2.jpg
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Just south of the aurora theres a convenient plateau thats right inbetween 3 biomes: a Creepvine Forest, the Grand Reef and a Grassy Plateau. i love to make a decent size base there then i make several smaller outposts on different points elsewhere on the map. That exact spot seem to have been designed specifically for this purpose :smiley:

Heres the original spot untouched: (-156, -16, -575)
    8tkpmuadwp7c.jpg

Heres an exemple of usual layout i use as a main base:bpmbddiu7ki2.jpg

That's exactly the spot I mentioned in the OP
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Right .... im guessing alot of players use this spot as its about ideally located and designed :smiley:
    what are the 'whirlpools' on that nice map?
    Frustrated wrote: »

Are whirlpools a thing? Because that would explain why I've occasionally been rapidly pulled down like 50 meters and couldn't swim up. I always just assumed there were some weird currents.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Fluffers wrote: »

Are whirlpools a thing? Because that would explain why I've occasionally been rapidly pulled down like 50 meters and couldn't swim up. I always just assumed there were some weird currents.

Cave entrances.
    Is there one in the grand reef near the wreckage? I swear every time I go near it I get pulled down at least 50 meters.
    edited January 2017

Cave entrances.

I thought that initially, but there are so many missing I dismissed it as an answer. Prime candidate - DGR...

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited January 2017

Cave entrances.

I thought that initially, but there are so many missing I dismissed it as an answer. Prime candidate - DGR...

The map used in that post above is outdated and was made a bit back a few months if not a year ago. So it's not entirely accurate and up to date with the current versions of the game.

I still use it as reference though for where the biomes are and where I try to find the location to build my base/bases.
  • AvaruuAvaruu Texas Join Date: 2016-06-06 Member: 218168Members
    I'm a survivalist. I like to build in deep, dark places (and sometimes die in the process of building) where I have to go out and hunt down materials.

My preferred spot is in the Dunes, at a very particular rocky outcropping that is on the edge of whatever adjacent Blood Kelp zone and close to the secondary safe shallows.
    itja7yj96bxc.jpg
  • Akimb0Akimb0 Join Date: 2018-04-22 Member: 240242Members
    Sorry for a total necro here, but I've been trying to find the location mentioned in the OP - supposedly these coords? (-156, -16, -575) but that doesn't take me to the pictured location:

(can't post links...second page of this thread, the plateau picture)

Any help?

p.s. just signed up, can't post my own thread for a day...
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Akimb0 wrote: »
    Sorry for a total necro here, but I've been trying to find the location mentioned in the OP - supposedly these coords? (-156, -16, -575) but that doesn't take me to the pictured location:

Any help?

I haven't looked for it lately, but they have changed the geography of the game since the OP made this post, so that spot may not quite be there anymore, or might be someplace a little different.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    Safe shallows. There's a spot with a trench that allows you to build a functioning moonpool while the rest of the base is on level ground. It's worked out great, except for some difficulty in place an observation deck. I then built a Cyclops dock as a separate base (under its own power) about 100 m away, where its deeper. This has docking space for two Cyclops and a power cell charging area. It's close enough to the main base to swim back and forth without equipment. I love it, and the view is great... lots of stalkers playing with metal in the area, and gasopods doing their gassy things.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Precursor gun. Teleporters, and a cyclops dock.
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    In a recent game, I built almost my entire base above the water.

Fun fact: If it's not in the water, your base doesn't have structural health. You can build as much as you like without needing reinforcements.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    I usually build my base close to (Wreck 2?) because it is relatively close to the safe shallows, kelp forest, and blood kelp zone (Within 1000 meters).