Can we get a performance patch?

theridontheridon Join Date: 2017-01-16 Member: 226847Members
It's no secret everybody is having immense lag and stuttering issues, even on high end machines. It's to the point where it is really detracting from gameplay. I know the game is in development, but I think working out some performance issues would really be nice for the game and the community.

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    wait another 6 days, the devs are putting out another stable build on the 24th and it's likely they're gonna do a performance pass before releasing it on that date.
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited January 2017
    theridon wrote: »
    It's no secret everybody is having immense lag and stuttering issues, even on high end machines. It's to the point where it is really detracting from gameplay. I know the game is in development, but I think working out some performance issues would really be nice for the game and the community.
    They're working on it for the update.
    Also performance is usually worked on last in a game development, and I don't think it's as simple as just doing a "performance patch".
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    wait another 6 days, the devs are putting out another stable build on the 24th and it's likely they're gonna do a performance pass before releasing it on that date.
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    They're working on it for the update.
    Also performance is usually worked on last in a game development, and it's not really as simple as just doing a "performance patch".

It's really easy for the devs to create a performance pass, but they probably haven't done it because it's so much easier for users to just download more RAM, and solve the problem that way. ;)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited January 2017
    Woohoo! . Just downloaded 4GB of RAM :D

My laptop has 64GB RAM already (not including the 4GB nvidia GTX 980). Yeah I know 64GB is probably way in excess, but I could, so I did. :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017

If only it was as easy as pushing an "optimize game" button :o

But yeah, some performance polishing would be neat. But... It's kinda always being worked on
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited January 2017
    I've got 16 GB's installed for general purpose and with my new graphics card having 6 GB's of it's own, I'm thinkin' that probably not something I really need to worry about any more.
    B)
    edited January 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

It's really easy for the devs to create a performance pass, but they probably haven't done it because it's so much easier for users to just download more RAM, and solve the problem that way. ;)

What the bloody hell is that O_o digital ram?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2017

What the bloody hell is that O_o digital ram?

Well TBH, what with game streaming these days becoming a thing... Playing games your rig can't handle is a thing, ergo "downloading" ram/graphics card/cpu/hdd (using cloud farms to stream/play your game :D )
    Oh wait... I saw what was in the link... *snickers and chuckles*
    I'm waiting with baited breath to see if one of the Dev's posts a vid of them Singing and Dancing while Sewing.

After all, this is a request for a "Performance Patch".

B)

edited January 2017
    Actually, if you have Win 10, you do sort of have more RAM for free, as it uses dynamic memory compression... it's better performance than using only the paging file, and it speeds the paging file access up as well because memory is already compressed when paged out, meaning faster overall read/write.

EDIT: linky for the curious (post by Microsoft, copied onto a Win 10 forum):

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/17993-windows-10-memory-compression.html
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    You can have as much ram as you want and performance like hell. But as long as the memory leaks and the game save file is corrupting itself over time in a "stable" version, you gain nothing.

So the devs should fix the leaks and the savegame corruption before aiming for a performance patch.
  • nekozjinekozji uk Join Date: 2016-04-29 Member: 216121Members
    Tbh, it would seem to make sense for there to be some focus on performance and stability in the very near future. We all appreciate "early access" and basically, we're paying to be beta testers - but right now, it's pretty hard to test. We can't give feedback on late-game features if we can't get to the late game.

Not to mention the EA status isn't preventing youtubers from running long series featuring Subnautica, and their impressions are going to carry through into sales volumes. If a high profile tuber jacks in their Subnautica series after 15 episodes because the world is corrupt and unloadable, that's a lot of people will probably never look at it again.

(Sorry, sounds like a whinge. I do like this game, but I'm frustrated that I can't realistically play it for more than a few hours before the stutters kick in and I give up for another month.)
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    If the upcoming patch fixes just one of my performance issues I will love this game so much again. I honestly cant wait for the next patch just because some performance issues may be fixed in it.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    To be fair, there are legitimately a lot of small steps you can take to increase performance on any PC for any game.

Most users don't even realise you can set priority to high in task manager, or turn off all the unnecessary Windows options, or switch your power settings to performance, tweak your BIOS options, etc, etc, etc.

Things that are simple for those in-the-know but the average user doesn't even consider.
    If you want to experience the future now, switch to experimental. The only downside is the new story parts etc might not carry through correctly, and sometimes stuff breaks. But you get to see improvements in real time (as well as goofs, such as no sound for a build or two, but that's ok, as you usually get at least 2 builds a day).
    Speaking of sound...

Has anybody else noticed that the sound of the seamoth being picked up by the Moonpool lift has disappeared in the Stable version?
    B)
    To be fair, there are legitimately a lot of small steps you can take to increase performance on any PC for any game.

Most users don't even realise you can set priority to high in task manager, or turn off all the unnecessary Windows options, or switch your power settings to performance, tweak your BIOS options, etc, etc, etc.

Things that are simple for those in-the-know but the average user doesn't even consider.

That is true but who wants to mess about with all that every time they want to play a game, when they can go play some other game with no proplems. Much easier for the devs to tweak the performance their end.
  • nekozjinekozji uk Join Date: 2016-04-29 Member: 216121Members

You're assuming that everyone's PC is underpowered... my overclocked i5, SSD, 32gb ram and nVidia 1060 should be more than enough to run this game at a mere 1920x1200. None of these sort of fixes are relevant when two CPU cores remain idle and the GPU is not maxed out. Graphics options change nothing. The problem is the code, not the hardware.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited January 2017
    Myrm wrote: »
    That is true but who wants to mess about with all that every time they want to play a game, when they can go play some other game with no proplems. Much easier for the devs to tweak the performance their end.

It's literally 20 seconds of "messing"... I do certain things before I play any game, just out of habit. It's easy and good practice.
    The main 3 are;
    1. Make sure the game is high priority.
    2. Make sure PCI link state is set to "off".
    3. Turn performance options to "best performance".

There are more, depending on the game, but those 3 are certain. Sometimes they have no effect, and don't help even slightly, but it's just a habit and it helps more often than you'd imagine. But literally every single person who has a PC can do those 3 things. It doesn't matter how old it is, how good it is, what hardware it has, whatever.
    nekozji wrote: »
    You're assuming that everyone's PC is underpowered... my overclocked i5, SSD, 32gb ram and nVidia 1060 should be more than enough to run this game at a mere 1920x
    1203. None of these sort of fixes are relevant when two CPU cores remain idle and the GPU is not maxed out. Graphics options change nothing. The problem is the code, not the hardware.

No, I'm not assuming anything. I'm not even talking about any game in particular. There are simply some minor things I would recommend any person should tweak on ANY PC before turning on ANY game. My PC is not underpowered either, but I'm not dumb enough to expect every game to work perfectly just because I have the specs. I still do these things because it's just common sense to make sure your system is set to perform for gaming before you start gaming. Then when I go back to, whatever, browsing the internet, I set it back to default.

It doesn't matter how good your computer is.

You wouldn't say "This formula 1 car is a beast, so it should be able to work with regular, everyday road tyres. I don't have to tweak it, it'll be fine to go on any road, any time, any weather."
    No. You tailor the car to it's job. You don't say "But it's expensive and has the best parts available, it should be able to do fine!" as you smash into a wall at 170mph because you didn't bother to tweak the car for the exact job it's doing.

So you adjust your PC for gaming.
  • patrickg1964patrickg1964 USA Join Date: 2016-12-30 Member: 225725Members
    edited January 2017
    I am a crazy rabid squirrel.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited January 2017
    The devs for this game are awesome and great and anyone who says otherwise is either tripping or don't know what a good developer looks like because they've been 'spoiled' on other games who's developers have left and run with the money. With the devs for this game they aren't in that mind set.

I blame early access titles on steam. Most people who play them, while going in knowing it's not a complete game, will go online and complain about every little problem they find and if it is not fixed ASAP, suddenly the developers are bad and crooks. Look people, no one expects you to know the scope of development, but take it from a programmer. Sometimes there are problems that WILL take longer due to the different ways things are tied together. Just be patient and you will find all the fretting is for nothing.

edited January 2017
    you can do what ever you like. It is not going to work till they fix the dam game. But they already have your money. so why do they care.

@patrickg1964 -- I'm still waiting for those system specs, can you post them please?
    edited January 2017
    help or leave me alone.
    edited January 2017
    windows 10 manufacturer; ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC>
    Model; ASUS Desktop PC G20CB Series
    Processor Intel(R) Core i&-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
    Insalled memory 16.o mb
    Ststem type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processer
    grafic geforce GTX 1070. and i have more then enough menory.

none of my other game have any problem running but this one. I am sick and tired of getting no were. I do this to relax. to help my PDSD from the army. But know it just make me upset.
    Your computer should be fine. As far as release goes, keep in mind that this is an Early Access game. Basically you are playing the unfinished product as it's being made. Currently, the schedule to get Subnautica to release quality can be found here (each column represents a stable release) :

https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap
    windows 10 manufacturer; ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC>
    Model; ASUS Desktop PC G20CB Series
    Processor Intel(R) Core i&-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
    Insalled memory 16.o mb
    Ststem type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processer
    grafic geforce GTX 1070. and i have more then enough menory.

none of my other game have any problem running but this one. I am sick and tired of getting no were. I do this to relax. to help my PDSD from the army. But know it just make me upset.

@patrickg1964 -- I just saw your post on my wall... so this is your computer, right?
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz 44 °C
    Skylake 14nm Technology
    RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G20CB (LGA1151) 118 °C
    Graphics
    NS-29LD120A13 (1360x768@60Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 31 °C
    Storage
    931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA) 41 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUE1N
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

edited January 2017
    @patrickg1964 -- I just saw your post on my wall... so

@0x6A7232 I got one too. Probably the same content I guess.

@patrickg1964 - nice looking computer! Are you using the stable or experimental version of Subnautica? Since getting constant crashes in stable I switched to experimental. Although I am still get bursts of lag, I have not experienced any crashes. If you're not using experimental I would recommend giving it a go.