Xbox one still lagging

SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
edited January 2017 in Subnautica on Consoles
Once again the developers have lied to us. The update didn't improve the frame rate.

EDIT: I don't use twitter so I didn't see the post saying that the update won't fix the frame rate.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Is that on a new save or an existing one?
  • SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Is that on a new save or an existing one?

I started a new game with the update.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Once again the developers have lied to us. The update didn't improve the frame rate.

We've been very clear & open that this update does not include a performance jump, but we're working very heavily on it:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-04%20at%2014.14.39.png
    edited January 2017
    Obraxis wrote: »

We've been very clear & open that this update does not include a performance jump, but we're working very heavily on it:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-04%20at%2014.14.39.png
    I don't use twitter. Opps :)
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    Bummer I was under the assumption this update fixes the lag. Now we have to wait for the next update? Bummer.
  • TheChefTheChef Michigan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225388Members
    While the frame rate is not *completely* fixed, I have noticed that it is in fact better than what it was before the bones update. I average anywhere from 16-24, depending on where I am and what I'm doing. Is it perfect, no. But it's better than the 8-12 I was getting before the update. At least the the Devs made it playable (thank you by the way!) until the next update hits.

Note: to see your fps, hit LB + RB + A and type in "fps", it'll show it in the upper left corner.
    Its a little better. When chopping rocks then when material falls you can grab it mid air now. Before with bad lag ya couldn't. Driving the seamoth seems laggy though. I built my 4th seamoth then signed off. Also menus seems a little better. But hopefully next update fixes lag.
  • bingomanzerobingomanzero Join Date: 2016-12-07 Member: 224676Members
    Lag is at its worst when in the seamoth. Also terrain does not load as quickly as it had prior to the update. Pop-ins galore!
  • RandomidiotRandomidiot somewhere in Atlantis Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226108Members
    edited January 2017
    Okay for one your wrong the FPS is crap and it's stutters and has imput lag now before the bones update it was at least playable. This is insane, here is how to optimize this horribly ported game. And this keep in mind is the XBOX one with it's own windows X os to make games like these port over easier than say the ps4. Look at ARK their is no excuse this game has been unfinished for like a year. These FPS rates are unacceptable, agree? Here is how to fix them and the mistakes you've made so far. No sugar coating it I'm gonna tell you straight up what is wrong with Subnautica and how to go about fixing the Lag issues.

1. The Textures have been dropped down to like Nintendo 64 graphics and are total trash and out of date by 10 years
    2. Creep vines spawn in large clusters dropping the FPS to less than 5-8 fps and freeze/skip lag which lasts over 3 secs.
    3. Volumetric Rays appear all over the ocean since it's a one player game those effects should only been in a aura of visibly around the player 20ft or do away with them and use animated spites for the ground textures to create the same effect by without destroying the framerate
    4. Put the crashed ship in a cutscene and erase it from the game completely it's too big and you notice the lag right after the Aurora, large ship thing blows up in the beginning
    5. BLACK boxes appear all over the screen when surfacing for air, unacceptable gfx bug
    6. Large schools of fishes should be sprite based on 3d for performance reasons plus you can't cook them or eat them so they are just for looks
    7. The floaters and boulders should be removed from the game entirely they serve absolutely no propose they are large poly dynamic objects and drop framemate plus they glitch out after a while and start dropping all over watch a 25-35 framerate drop to less 6 fps and freeze up lag. Subnautica should not be Xbox-Ones first LAG SIMULATOR.
    8. Textures need better resolution and could have that now and have no effect on performance
    9. Gravity Spheres randomly disappear, ore and deposites even the #*%(%*@ fish
    10. REMOVE THE RADIOACTIVE WATER FROM THE GAME this effect causes the game to load massive amounts of data and can create huge lag problems for you plus they aren't needed if you remove the ship this game would gain alot of fps just from that put it in a animated cutscene and drop the ginormous Lag Crashlanded Spaceship. Fish need to spawn with a specific limit of how many can spawn around you no more clusters of large fish with high polys slowing the games fps down to a screaming halt.
    11. The game needs environment to be randomly procedurely generated so that these certain caps about how many clusters of fish can be spawned and the game is a new and unique experience when approaching the biomes they added with the updates. That is something that should be done in the long run.
    12. When you drop an item it would be in a tiny crate/locker they are low poly and this way you can just ditch you things and they should disappear in like a day. No more high poly titanium only when you mine it. When it's drop keep that in mind it needs to be something low poly.
    13. Areas need to pop in faster when loading/going to new zones they pop in late and prefabs with like the ore veins you can't find them most of the time unless they are right in front of you the objects LOD/FOV need to be raised way up. Here is why if you do that when loading a new zone objects will already be loaded so less input lag this way. Equals smoother game play when traveling to new zones/regions. Plus I believe you should actually beable to see with good range the objects your search and looking for. That just makes plain sense.

If you follow word for word all these ideas to improve the game performance I think this game could get 60 fps the goal is 30 fps right?. The Unity Engine in general is trash in my opinion, Unreal Engine+maya way better if your gonna build a game on a budget start with unity but it always get optimizations problems on console. I've optimized, modded and built games before on my own time a long time ago. I know how to troubleshoot this stuff. Take my advice Obraxis. I bought this game knowing it's a buggy and laggy mess it's an investment I understand the game is unfinished. But I understand these type of optimizations some may take a while but many of these can be done really fast and right away and would at least make Subnautica playable while we wait meanwhile for the other update fixes for performance issues and bugs.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    4. Put the crashed ship in a cutscene and erase it from the game completely it's too big and you notice the lag right after the Aurora, large ship thing blows up in the beginning
    7. The floaters and boulders should be removed from the game entirely they serve absolutely no propose they are dynamic objects and drop framemate plus they glitch out after a while and start dropping all over watch a 25-35 framerate drop to less 6 fps and freeze up lag
    10. REMOVE THE RADIOACTIVE WATER FROM THE GAME this effect causes the game to load massive amounts of data and can create huge lag problems for you plus they aren't needed if you remove the ship this game would gain alot of fps just from that put it in a animated cutscene and drop the ginormous Lag Crashlanded Spaceship. Fish need to spawn with a specific limit of how many can spawn around you no more clusters of large fish with high polys slowing the games fps down to a screaming halt.
    11. The game needs environment to be randomly procedurely generated so that these certain caps about how many clusters of fish can be spawned and the game is a new and unique experience when approaching the biomes they added with the updates. That is something that should be done in the long run.
    12. When you drop an item it would be in a tiny crate/locker they are low poly and this way you can just ditch you things and they should disappear in like a day. No more high poly titanium only when you mine it. When it's drop keep that in mind it needs to be something low poly.

Sounds like someone who is new to the game and hasn't played all that much (which I don't mean as a bad thing). Removing the Aurora is out of the question; it's not decor. The floaters serve a function, but they are currently a little buggy (same on PC; January update should amend that somewhat). Procedural generation is something UWE tried way back, but they found they could make prettier environments by sculpting it. Items disappearing is not a good situation since you might be forced to drop stuff and want to pick it up later.
  • RandomidiotRandomidiot somewhere in Atlantis Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226108Members
    edited January 2017
    This game needs for options for like sliders for people to increase things like they would on PC, graphic resolution, texture scaling, shadows on or off, stars on or off. bloom/HDR effects on or off, that sort of stuff but optimized for the xbox one. Nights on or off.
    Well for the most part the creepy vines end up in very large clusters and cause serious lag issues which need to be updated and fixed immediately. Everything else besides the few talking points that i've mentioned. Seems to be running fine like the gameplay itself is great, the crafting, the base building that's all good and like I said I understand this game is early preview and is a long term investment. I'm not asking for a refund I'm asking for the game to at least work half way decent before they dump a bunch of addon content all that serves is much longer preloading process and no serious bang for our buck. It's a good way to steer away the community from the highly anticipated title and soon to be hit on the xbox one. The PC version is great and I would be playing that if my gaming computer didn't burn up.
    edited January 2017
    Lighting is always been an FPS killer on Subnautica, They should work on a way to fix this but changing the detail of that lighting/shading effect from the lighting should be of a lower detail. I think they call that the light intensity that could be optimized as well. That is all I have for ideas. Please post us the time you expect the optimization update to finish if you could or give us an estimate at least. That would be very helpful. Thankyou.
    edited January 2017
    I do have one more idea you could have fish like eat other fish after a while. That would fix the FPS prob too. Maybe like Agario they get a little bigger after a while. What you think of that idea? The Bigger the fish the better the meal right?
    edited January 2017
    Is it just me or has the into cutseen gone to sh*t?
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    As a mostly PC user, all I have to say is...
    Welcome to our world.
    B)
    I took a break yesterday after building my 4th seamoth. Drove it around looking for silver. The lag made me dizzy. I could of puked. So I dash boarded. I wasn't even drinking beer yet. Did that when I fired up BF1. :D
  • Dutchman141Dutchman141 the Netherlands Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216936Members
    Okay for one your wrong the FPS is crap and it's stutters and has imput lag now before the bones update it was at least playable. This is insane, here is how to optimize this horribly ported game. And this keep in mind is the XBOX one with it's own windows X os to make games like these port over easier than say the ps4. Look at ARK their is no excuse this game has been unfinished for like a year. These FPS rates are unacceptable, agree? Here is how to fix them and the mistakes you've made so far. No sugar coating it I'm gonna tell you straight up what is wrong with Subnautica and how to go about fixing the Lag issues.

1. The Textures have been dropped down to like Nintendo 64 graphics and are total trash and out of date by 10 years
    2. Creep vines spawn in large clusters dropping the FPS to less than 5-8 fps and freeze/skip lag which lasts over 3 secs.
    3. Volumetric Rays appear all over the ocean since it's a one player game those effects should only been in a aura of visibly around the player 20ft or do away with them and use animated spites for the ground textures to create the same effect by without destroying the framerate
    5. BLACK boxes appear all over the screen when surfacing for air, unacceptable gfx bug
    6. Large schools of fishes should be sprite based on 3d for performance reasons plus you can't cook them or eat them so they are just for looks
    7. The floaters and boulders should be removed from the game entirely they serve absolutely no propose they are large poly dynamic objects and drop framemate plus they glitch out after a while and start dropping all over watch a 25-35 framerate drop to less 6 fps and freeze up lag. Subnautica should not be Xbox-Ones first LAG SIMULATOR.
    8. Textures need better resolution and could have that now and have no effect on performance
    9. Gravity Spheres randomly disappear, ore and deposites even the #*%(%*@ fish
    13. Areas need to pop in faster when loading/going to new zones they pop in late and prefabs with like the ore veins you can't find them most of the time unless they are right in front of you the objects LOD/FOV need to be raised way up. Here is why if you do that when loading a new zone objects will already be loaded so less input lag this way. Equals smoother game play when traveling to new zones/regions. Plus I believe you should actually beable to see with good range the objects your search and looking for. That just makes plain sense.

If you follow word for word all these ideas to improve the game performance I think this game could get 60 fps the goal is 30 fps right?. The Unity Engine in general is trash in my opinion, Unreal Engine+maya way better if your gonna build a game on a budget start with unity but it always get optimizations problems on console. I've optimized, modded and built games before on my own time a long time ago. I know how to troubleshoot this stuff. Take my advice Obraxis. I bought this game knowing it's a buggy and laggy mess it's an investment I understand the game is unfinished. But I understand these type of optimizations some may take a while but many of these can be done really fast and right away and would at least make Subnautica playable while we wait meanwhile for the other update fixes for performance issues and bugs.

Well devs, read this carefully, this guy nows what he is talking about.
    I've worked on the development of data compression for over 20 years and a lot of what he says is true and should be general knowledge in software development that includes a high degree of graphical content.

You only have so much resources to build with on the Xbox One, use it sparsely and save on processing time wherever you can, you'll find that you're still comming short in the end.
    Focus on LOD and FOV, what's needed and what's not.
    Restrict the lighting renders, it uses way to much processing time with just a minimal quality gain.

I could repeat what's been said before, I won't but for pete's sake do something about it before releasing other content.
    These framerates are truly unacceptable.

Subnautica is a realy good game with lots of great gameplay and content but quantity never surpasses quality.
    All that good stuff is just vanity if it doesn't work right and frustrates the customer.
    A Ferrari on your driveway looks cool untill you have to push it to the place you want to go.
  • TheChefTheChef Michigan Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225388Members
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »
    I took a break yesterday after building my 4th seamoth. Drove it around looking for silver. The lag made me dizzy. I could of puked. So I dash boarded. I wasn't even drinking beer yet. Did that when I fired up BF1. :D

Why on earth would you build FOUR seamoths? You brought that lag upon yourself, good sir.
    TheChef wrote: »
    GRAW2ROBZ wrote: »

Why on earth would you build FOUR seamoths? You brought that lag upon yourself, good sir.

Old build of multiple seamoths and larger bases didn't lag for me. It was the previous update that killed the game. They should of just did a roll back from previous update to erase it. Oh and the game was laggy way before I found all the blueprints for the first seamoth. So there's that.
  • UsuallyBoredUsuallyBored Join Date: 2016-12-08 Member: 224707Members
    Mines a little better I can play without having to quit and take a break and while it's not perfect I like to see improvements.