Obraxis used to update us on VR, nothing lately. Polite request for VR updatestimeframe?

Comments

• Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    Failing at 1)opening Home, 2) opening the debug tool, 3 ) setting SS, 4), opening the game shouldn't count as " couldn't get SS to work" or "takes tweaking". There is no "pros or cons" here except maybe this slight difference in brightness which is news to me.

• redmantabredmantab united states Join Date: 2015-08-10 Member: 206990Members
    well, with the new patches are we any closer to the vr fixes? just the basic ones of getting the little sub into the moonpool and not falling through the world? walking at regular speed in vr when in the base instead of at a crawl?

Hoping so !?
  • Someonestolema02Someonestolema02 BC canada Join Date: 2016-08-03 Member: 220950Members
    edited October 2016
    redmantab wrote: »
    well, with the new patches are we any closer to the vr fixes? just the basic ones of getting the little sub into the moonpool and not falling through the world? walking at regular speed in vr when in the base instead of at a crawl?

Hoping so !?

You mean the patch/es that are Steam only for some reason?? I wouldn't know. Wasted my money on the version that isn't kept up to date.
  • coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    Rather than start a new thread, I'll just bump this one. Seems VR has been somewhat left by the roadside lately. Just noticed camera movement while driving the Seamoth has gone completely crazy, making the sub impossible to drive. (As you accelerate, the camera lags behind and drifts out through the back of the model. Yikes.)
  • VachVach Join Date: 2016-08-07 Member: 221054Members
    coldsnap wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread, I'll just bump this one. Seems VR has been somewhat left by the roadside lately. Just noticed camera movement while driving the Seamoth has gone completely crazy, making the sub impossible to drive. (As you accelerate, the camera lags behind and drifts out through the back of the model. Yikes.)

I can tolerate some of the camera issues, even some of the more annoying graphical issues like schools of fish exploding into textured insanity, but the issue with the docking of the cyclops basically makes the game unplayable. You essentially can't use the cyclops, which prevents realistic progression after a certain point.

I really only play the game in the VR, so I'm hoping for a fix on this as soon as possible.

• dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

Hoping so !?

You mean the patch/es that are Steam only for some reason?? I wouldn't know. Wasted my money on the version that isn't kept up to date.

My god, would you please shut up about it? We all know your issue, so there's no need to bring it up every single chance you get.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Hoping so !?

Oculus Home version is usually only a few days behind the steam version. Xbox users are sadly behind the most due to a bug in the current Xbox version, as well as Microsoft certification all patches have to pass through (which can take up to a couple of weeks for every submission.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Speaking of patches, really hoping for an options menu UI FOV slider or .cfg setting as a holdover in a patch soon. Looks awesome on the Vive, especially with SS, but blind-typing into the dev console to fix it to fov 100 or 90 each time gets old, and having the needs gauges almost entirely out of view isn't an option.
    Also have to second that it looks quite a bit worse on the CV1; tested a buddy's out and it was a pretty significant drop in detail and immersion. Everything just looked muddy for some reason. On the Vive everything just *pops*.

Curious also if there's been thought given to a Farlands-style SteamVR homescreen overlay object for the loading screen, assuming it isn't a secret they're keeping locked up.
    edited November 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »

Hoping so !?

Oculus Home version is usually only a few days behind the steam version. Xbox users are sadly behind the most due to a bug in the current Xbox version, as well as Microsoft certification all patches have to pass through (which can take up to a couple of weeks for every submission.

With all due respect, at one point the Oculus Home version was weeks behind. Multiple weeks. It was 2 builds behind. I complained vocally then finally there was a update. Supposedly a "mix up" with Oculus. Someone doesnt take complaints seriously, not sure who it was. I wasnt the only one asking what the deal is with Oculus Home version being out of date. Weeks went by.

Hoping so !?

My god, would you please shut up about it? We all know your issue, so there's no need to bring it up every single chance you get.
    I brought it up in 3 threads. One of which is MY thread. So don't twist things. Also, if you don't like it don't read it.
    edited November 2016
    Talesin wrote: »
    Speaking of patches, really hoping for an options menu UI FOV slider or .cfg setting as a holdover in a patch soon. Looks awesome on the Vive, especially with SS, but blind-typing into the dev console to fix it to fov 100 or 90 each time gets old, and having the needs gauges almost entirely out of view isn't an option.
    Also have to second that it looks quite a bit worse on the CV1; tested a buddy's out and it was a pretty significant drop in detail and immersion. Everything just looked muddy for some reason. On the Vive everything just *pops*.

Curious also if there's been thought given to a Farlands-style SteamVR homescreen overlay object for the loading screen, assuming it isn't a secret they're keeping locked up.

I don't find it muddy at all. It looks great. ( speaking in terms of max settings, not low settings...dont know what you're talking about there). It was the fact it was out of date build wise, had flashing geometry and terrible performance I took issue with. I can handle the fact the games not done and it's in Beta, no problem, but don't release the game on a client, then ignore support for it. I can even handle a delay in VR support updates, seeing how you can play it in desktop mode on Oculus Home. But the entire build was out of date vs the Steam version. Not cool.

Thank you for the clarifications, but, is there any information on when VR specific issues are going to be fixed?
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I don't find it muddy at all. It looks great. ( speaking in terms of max settings, not low settings...dont know what you're talking about there).
    Eh... it looks okay on CV1. I mean, definitely playable and all, but just kind of less defined and immersive. Noticeably less vibrant, which is one of the things that really makes Subnautica so gorgeous. SDE is pretty comparable too. Being fair I do wear glasses so had to make some accommodations for the usual Rift fitment issues, but the friend (who doesn't) tried it on the Vive and had agreed.

Still, UI FOV slider/customization would be awesome. Maybe something to make taking damage more noticeable. Not sure if it's just me, but the red flash doesn't really show up in VR, and the damage-noise just sounds a bit like exertion. Almost got nibbled to death by biter fish when collecting silver as a result.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited November 2016

Hoping so !?

I brought it up in 3 threads. One of which is MY thread. So don't twist things. Also, if you don't like it don't read it.

You can call it twisting things.
    I call it noticing that you have not posted about a SINGLE other thing since you made that thread, save for one post about how other people being okay with a low framerate is wrong. Perhaps I wouldn't have noticed this if you had anything to contribute to this community besides "I bought a version that's a little behind and I feel cheated/like I wasted money etc."
    Even after the Devs have made MULTIPLE posts apologizing for the issues, explaining why they happened, and explicitly stating that they are working to fix it. You need to give it a rest.
    Hello again guys and Obraxis. Since I keep reading on the steam vr discussion forums that the game is still not really fixed in VR, can we just put this to bed and go with the mentality that VR will work at game release? When is this expected to work in VR? The BEST vr experience I ever had but it worked better with my dk2 1+ years ago.

How we looking MR. OB? Mid next year? Can't wait!
    Hello again guys and Obraxis. Since I keep reading on the steam vr discussion forums that the game is still not really fixed in VR, can we just put this to bed and go with the mentality that VR will work at game release? When is this expected to work in VR? The BEST vr experience I ever had but it worked better with my dk2 1+ years ago.

How we looking MR. OB? Mid next year? Can't wait!

Yes, I would like to know this as well. I don't mind a delay I would just like some kind of answer. I am exclusively playing this game in VR which basically means I'm not playing it right now.
  • coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    Vach wrote: »
    I don't mind a delay I would just like some kind of answer. I am exclusively playing this game in VR which basically means I'm not playing it right now.

Exactly this.

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The latest stable release (Precursor) contained an update to use Unity 5.4. This reportedly contains significant changes to the VR framework, making it both more stable and easier to support. Now that it is in place, I hope it will be easier for UWE to support VR. However, given they don't have a VR-specific development team, it will have to wait its turn with all of the other development tasks. I have no doubt that UWE will fully support VR at version 1.0 - but until then it is hit-and-miss, just like any other feature in early access.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Was it 5.4 or 5.5? I thought 5.5 was latest, 5.6 was beta?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    There were a number of VR specific bugs fixed in the Precursor update (for instance, sleeping and piloting Cyclops issues) - more will be fixed in time as programing and tech resources allow.
    There were a number of VR specific bugs fixed in the Precursor update (for instance, sleeping and piloting Cyclops issues) - more will be fixed in time as programing and tech resources allow.

Was the docking with the cyclops issue fixed?
  • AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    Obraxis, just curious but does the moonpool docking still drop you out onto the ocean floor walking around or was that fixed?
  • YohaskanYohaskan Join Date: 2016-10-08 Member: 222961Members
    edited December 2016
    I have try the last one Precursor update, i can piloting Cyclops but when i take back my seamoth who was docked in it, and go outside with the seamooth after a trip, it's always teleported in initial start location (when i docked in the Cyclop)

(is what sleeping issue ? )
    Yohaskan wrote: »
    I have try the last one Precursor update, i can piloting Cyclops but when i take back my seamoth who was docked in it, and go outside with the seamooth after a trip, it's always teleported in initial start location (when i docked in the Cyclop)

(is what sleeping issue ? )

Yea this is what I was talking about. So this still happens? Blah. That sucks. So I basically still can't play.

Although I guess it's time to start the game over anyway.
  • OculusLouOculusLou Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217605Members
    Damn, that sucks to hear it's STILL an issue, by far the largest VR bug stopping people from being able to play. Glad they fixed sleeping in a bed in VR first :P heh

Piloting the Cyclops it still buggy for me so not sure what got fixed, it does seem to face the avatar forward now, but still not centered.
    just checking in fellas....VR playable yet with the new patch?
    I tested yesterday, and is not very conclusive.
    I restarted one of my backups with complete base and vehicles (I'm a little tired to remake all things over again every update)

1st try has planted, nothing in the headset, just the return VR on desktop screen.
    2nd loading ok, I was on the south island with my cyclop and my seamooth.
    It seemed normal (apart from some texture bugs on the walls of the cyclop, and output/input vehicle animation still missing)
    The corp position bug in a vehicle seems corrected.

Then big freeze of the game when I got closer to my base, which straddle between two different biomes

I had not cleaned the CellsCache repertory before, I will probably try it next time by deleting the cache, see if it changes something good

Best test is to do another fresh restart from 0 and build a lot of things, but i don't have the mood to do that.
    edited January 2017

New Test 01/28

It's better.

After having cleaned the CellsCache repertory, I restarted my old backup
    And failure ...
    Try a second time, same thing, I had that back on the desktop screen but nothing in the helmet, while I saw well in VR in the helmet the launch menu.

To the 3rd tried, I restart another old backup but that was in "Creative mode"
    And it worked in VR in the helmet with a rather warm welcome from a Sea Dragon Leviathan: D
    h4f4ck871y4t.jpg

After 5mn driving with Seamooth at -1500m depth,
    7yz6qpcw2eey.jpg
    I try again with my save in Survival mode, and ...
    It worked well this time

For small bugs, when I look at the inventory it seems dull and transparent ...
    The interface always seems too close to read the information of depth and temperature ... nothing new on this bug there

I was surprised to find a better FPS than before, less jittering. Perhaps an impression ?
    I must restart with frame timing tool in SteamVR to verify that.

But are you still teleported back to where you were in the cyclops?
    edited January 2017
    Not since this maj, it would seem
    But i can do some other test.

For the "feeling better FPS", I looked with the tool, and it's between 11 and 15ms, so there is always reprojection, but maybe it seems better now with the Asynchronous Timewarp reprojection mode of SteamVR.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    If your save has seen an update or more, you should clear the CompiledOctreesCache in addition to CellsCache to take advantage of any changes (and fixes) in the terrain. Use item 514 in the console to spawn a terraformer if you need to remove any dirt in your base (still works as of 1/28/17).