Bad lag spikes every second - unplayable - suspect power connection calculation

aasubaasub Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224792Members
Hi I really like your game thanks for making it. I've reached a point where it's unplayable though and would really like it to be fixed.

In my game everything was fine(other than having to delete my cache and seamoth often) until I built a long ladder from the safe shallows down to the glowing shrooms cave. The game now has a huge lag spike seemingly every second(viewed with the framerate graph in-game).

While I disconnect my power generators from the base then the lag spikes are cut in half instantly, this leads me to speculate that the lag spikes are caused by an under the hood calculation of power connections between base pieces and possibly the connection for water flooding.

Furthermore, when I removed a large amount of base pieces to segment off the new jelly section and the safe shallows section, the new section was still powered(without power transfer items) and the lag spikes still existed, which leads me to believe that the underlying power connection is not removed when removing a base building piece. So my work-a-round failed :(

So two bugs here I am suspecting and this is just my opinion so don't take it personal:
-Inefficient power distribution algorithm
-Power connection is not removed when a building piece is removed

I was really enjoying immersing myself in your aquarium so hopefully these get fixed then I continue to do so :)

Here is a link to my savegame with 3 separate bases with invisible left-over power connections or something.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5PqKbXT32HMZVdUSzJ1VEdFMVk/view?usp=sharing

--aaron

Comments

• aasubaasub Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224792Members
    Forgot to mention that I had started the game on the stable October version and am now on the experimental 42106 version and the problems exist in both
    Also this popped up around the same time. While using the habitat builder and showing the preview of the item in transparent green, the framerate drops massively from 60 to 11. Once the piece is placed, or the preview for placement is cancelled, then the framerate returns to normal.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    See my sig, under uploading your entire saved game folder. Upload that, link here. Then try clearing cache, see if you can continue playing.
    As the problem does not happen in other games and only happened in this game after building my base extension after 50 hours of play, I don't see how it could have anything to do with my hardware specifically. The game has not been crashing so I don't have a crash log.

I have also cleared the entire cache in the past to try to fix it, and have cleared the cache in the past about 10x, usually after exploring.

Does the savegame produce the same results on your hardware?

Thanks for your help I appreciate it :)
    edited December 2016
    I'll check it out tomorrow morning when I get off work.
    Right, I get the same thing on my hardware. And I don't on my saves. You might be on to something with the power generation, as I noticed quite a dip when close to the power transmitters.

Also, you've done a ton of terraforming, which they are getting rid of as it's too big a hit on performance, so there's that, but that doesn't explain the spikes.

@Obraxis I think this is a bug of some type, not just in-general poor performance.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Also, you've done a ton of terraforming, which they are getting rid of as it's too big a hit on performance, so there's that, but that doesn't explain the spikes.

I know it makes me sad about the terraforming plans because I like to contour my base into geography. I wish the xbox version didn't have to hinder the pc version, maybe in the future the pc version will get some love :)
    Lol .. btw, your save reminded me of Descent when I was traveling through your base with all of the tunnels.. brought back lots of memories. ;)

They still play Descent BTW, with the DXX-Rebirth and D2X-XL projects - DXX is more faithful to original Descent, while D2X-XL pushes the limits of the engine with new amazing things.
    hehe that's cool I'm glad you like it, I had lots of fun making it.

Descent is cool though, I will have to check those out thanks
  • WarpZone32WarpZone32 Join Date: 2016-12-13 Member: 224911Members
    It might even be that with a fully-connected giant base like this, the game has to keep more chunks/biomes loaded into active memory at the same time to maintain continuity. (Fish collisions, etc.)