Improved frame rate OR new updates

SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
edited December 2016 in Subnautica on Consoles
What should the devs be working on for subnautica Xbox.

Comments

• BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    Get the updates out and the game completed as was originally planned.

Early access and game preview games won't be completely optimized until the game is near or totally finished. This was all clearly laid out before I purchased it and I was okay with the state of the game.

If you're not able to deal with the frame rate wait until they finish the actual game before jumping back in. There's nothing to say that new updates don't also include frame rate fixes as well, so this blanket A.) or B.) choice doesn't really make sense.

If the game was complete and they were let's say, charging for add on content but still not fixing the frame issue then yes, I would be very annoyed, but that's not the case. It's a work in progress and I have no doubt they are doing what they can to get everything up to par.
  • UsuallyBoredUsuallyBored Join Date: 2016-12-08 Member: 224707Members
    edited December 2016
    I like new stuff and all, but don't you think it's better to see the new stuff at a decent smooth FR? Like doesn't even have to be 60. I am editing this realizing how people are saying how the whole team can't wait and optimize the game which is not what I'm asking, I'm asking for a decent FR. I have a reason because if we don't have something we can at least play the game without head aches I won't wanna play, when I don't be play i won't be able to report bugs, no reporting bugs there's not improvement on the game.
  • SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
    Get the updates out and the game completed as was originally planned.

Early access and game preview games won't be completely optimized until the game is near or totally finished. This was all clearly laid out before I purchased it and I was okay with the state of the game.

If you're not able to deal with the frame rate wait until they finish the actual game before jumping back in. There's nothing to say that new updates don't also include frame rate fixes as well, so this blanket A.) or B.) choice doesn't really make sense.

If the game was complete and they were let's say, charging for add on content but still not fixing the frame issue then yes, I would be very annoyed, but that's not the case. It's a work in progress and I have no doubt they are doing what they can to get everything up to par.

I love updates just as much as everyone else. But I want the updates to be playable.

Frame rate should be the number one priority, Even if it means delaying updates.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    As long as it's not below 16 FPS at worst, great. Any less than that is a slideshow.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @SnowballSniper

Let me educate you on how games are made.

You have programmers, they write code, add all the lovely features and bugs, then have to remove the bugs again, because people complain about them.

You have artists, they draw pictures, concepts and create the pretty UI you see.

You have modellers, Animators, Riggers etc, who are responsible for making and creating new models and animating them, if needed.

The others, that do everything else that is needed to get that game from the heads of individuals into a product you can play, advertising, making trailers, writing community posts etc.

Now, there are multiple of each of these types of people working on the game. I know this might be a shock, but when making a game, not everyone works on the same thing.

So while your modellers, animators, and artists are busy making lots of new shiny content, your programmers can be off, programming and fixing bugs.

This whole thread is pointless as it shows a lack of understanding of game development. You talk as if the dev team are a collective and can only work on one thing together, even though in general artists are going to be pretty crap at fixing bugs. They'll probably add many, many more of them.
  • Officer_543Officer_543 46807 Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224400Members
    WE KNOW HOW GAMES ARE MADE but these developers...i swear man if i could help them i would
  • XG13XXG13X VA. Join Date: 2016-12-06 Member: 224622Members
    i would have to say the FPS is an important issue as the game is unplayable at times and all the content in the world dont matter if i cant get to it. That being said i understand optimization comes at the end during the polishing up get it smooth stage of development.XBOX USER FYI

15-20 FPS OK 5-10 FPS = HEADACHES
    XG13X wrote: »
    15-20 FPS OK 5-10 FPS = HEADACHES

I agree, and it's those numbers pretty exactly. Anything less than 15 begins to cause playability issues.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This poll makes no sense... This isn't a choice, both are worked on together, cause they are quite dependent on each other as well
  • xxxL3gitRushxxxxxxL3gitRushxxx United States Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219606Members
    edited December 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're working very hard on the next Xbox patch, which should include some optimizations on the terrain loading. It's taken a lot longer than expected as a number of changes actually made FPS worse off than the current patch, so we've had to do a lot of optimization work to get the FPS to be as good, if not better, than before.

We're hoping to send it off to Microsoft soon, once we're convinced we have a good shot at passing certification. Sorry for the delay, we're working as fast as we can.

Good luck @Obraxis, devs, and engineers, have a good feeling this patch will be worth it :)
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    What the hell part of "BETA" don't some of you folks understand?

smh
  • LandexerLandexer Join Date: 2016-12-10 Member: 224790Members
    Hello on xbox one it is impossible to personalize our vehicle because the joystick changes category and at the same time changes the color. If you can adjust it would be really cool
    Microsoft Better let this update happen the second you send the letter or i will drive there im not joking this lag is so bad that i get
    motion sickness
    But man what a game!!
    Microsoft Better let this update happen the second you send the letter or i will drive there im not joking this lag is so bad that i get
    motion sickness

You try holding the power button until the power pack turns amber to do a cold restart and clear the cache.
  • dexter397dexter397 U.S.A. Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218486Members
    edited December 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're working very hard on the next Xbox patch, which should include some optimizations on the terrain loading. It's taken a lot longer than expected as a number of changes actually made FPS worse off than the current patch, so we've had to do a lot of optimization work to get the FPS to be as good, if not better, than before.

We're hoping to send it off to Microsoft soon, once we're convinced we have a good shot at passing certification. Sorry for the delay, we're working as fast as we can.

It is good to know you guys are doing your best to fix the terrain and making sure the FPS does not get worse
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    A new update then frame rate latter
  • NorulvNorulv Norway Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218528Members
    Voted neither. They should work on both, which makes sense when you think about it, they cant suddenly set the progress/ focus down to 0%. Both areas are dependent on each other.
    MAYBE, add a few more people on either New Updates or Improved Framerate when needed the most.
  • NiramasNiramas Gig Harbor, WA Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224961Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »

smh

The part that takes my money.

"in development" should not be a license to charge for something unplayable.

I paid for both the PC version (awesome) and the XBOX version (frustrating). I feel very let down by the latter. Having said that, I am sure it will be great in the end.

Oh yeah, and trying to catch fish with an XBOX controller at a slow frame rate has got to be one of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had :-)~
    Niramas wrote: »

smh

I paid for both the PC version (awesome) and the XBOX version (frustrating). I feel very let down by the latter. Having said that, I am sure it will be great in the end.

Oh yeah, and trying to catch fish with an XBOX controller at a slow frame rate has got to be one of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had :-)~

You know left trigger catches fish, right? Using 'A' to catch fish is next to impossible with bad frames, but with LTrigger, at least sometimes you can manage it.

Also, the reason XB1 hasn't gotten an update is they're trying to get performance fixed on it (releasing more content without fixing the performance would, of course, drop performance even more).
  • OtakuPandaCXOtakuPandaCX Join Date: 2016-12-19 Member: 225158Members
    Niramas wrote: »

smh

It's understandable that you are frustrated with the terrible framerate whenever it happens, I was too, but it's still labelled under the "Preview" section. The developers are working hard to improve the framerates and confirmed in a twitter tweet that the update will be out before X-mas. So that's something we all have to look forward to!
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Wow, that's a bit surprising to me. Great to know.

I just chatted with Max and he mentioned that the game is now (internally at least) running at a fairly dependable 30 fps when you're not moving. Once you move, that's when it starts streaming in the world and then it starts hitching. So he and Jonas are focusing on improving the streaming, not "frame rate" per se.
  • mcmaz1ngmcmaz1ng Join Date: 2016-12-19 Member: 225204Members
    I have been following this game since around the time it launched, it has amazed me with both what it already has as preview title and its potential, but i dnt have a pc powerful enough to run it, so i recently picked it up on xbox.

Having played the similar preview title of ARK: Survival for over a year now on xb1, I know how frustrating a pc optimized game can be on the platform, and I hope the dev's can fix the performance issues this game has, because I really do enjoy it.

Looking forward for a performance fix to come soon.
    flayra...FLAYRA nice name ;-)
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    I'd have to say frame rates since last patch. Its a killer. I cant do anything. So laggy. Its like slow motion. Other wise a great game. Last patch killed it. So laggy. Also game crashes still alive. So I save more then ever now.