Seamoth bugged, lagging when in water

TheF0CTORTheF0CTOR A Galaxy Far Far Away Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206945Members
edited September 2015 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
One of my Seamoths - the Galileo - is bugged. Normally I get ~40 fps, but whenever the Galileo is in the water, I get 5-15 fps. Whether I'm in it, swimming near it, or swimming far away from it, the lag is painful. With my other Seamoth - the Bird of Prey - there's no measurable drop in performance. I've tried switching their upgrades, but the problem persisted only in the Galileo. For now I can get by with using the Bird of Prey as a temporary exploration vehicle, but anyone who knows where I got the names from will understand why I want the Galileo to be my primary exploration vehicle.

If that's too complicated, here's the simplified version: Seamoth A experiences lag, Seamoth B does not. Swapping their upgrades did not change this, therefor the entity itself is bugged.

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Can you not rename the good one to your preferred name and then destroy the remaining one. You could always make another.
  • TheF0CTORTheF0CTOR A Galaxy Far Far Away Join Date: 2015-08-09 Member: 206945Members
    Are Seamoths destructible yet? I had considered this, but I don't want to risk permanent lag until they become destructible.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I believe they are now, in the experimental mode. Can't say for sure though as I don't play it, but thought I saw it say as much in Trello.
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes it is confirmed, they are destructible now :smile:
  • RabRab Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223890Members
    I had horrible lag on my seamoth, I simply took out the depth and storage modules and took it low enough and watched it explode. Created a new seamoth and lag is gone. I guess after so much wear and tear they start to lag like a worn out car. Time for a new one..
  • FrustratedFrustrated Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223643Members
    Are you able to build a new one? I'm on my 8th, lag is dreadful but the mobile vehicle bay won't let me make one!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Frustrated wrote: »
    Are you able to build a new one? I'm on my 8th, lag is dreadful but the mobile vehicle bay won't let me make one!

You have all the resources but it won't let you? Is the mobile vehicle bay powered? If so, can you swap the power cell? Asking because IIRC you use a power cell to craft it. If you pick it up (climb aboard, look down, should be able to), does it give a power % when you hover over it in your inventory?
  • HarryMHarryM UK Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223602Members
    I recently had the same issue and emailed over the following:

"Severe fps drop whilst in the seamoth or with it docked up in the cyclops.
    (The prawn suit is bug free to use/ dock up and the seamoth was fine once docked in a moon pool.)

I searched and tried the method of spawning another seamoth (using the console), hey presto this one was fine, smooth fps no abnormal drops.
    I proceeded to move my upgrades (one of which was the storage module) and after my emergency items, battery, powercell, water etc.
    It was at this point I noticed the old storage locker and the new storage locker are in different places on the seamoth. Both are rhs but one was high up whereas the new one is low on the outer rhs edge."

I'm not sure if the locker location is of relevance but I'm fairly sure it was in a different location on my old bugged seamoth.

Either way Rab's method was the same one I used, remove mods and goods from the bugged seamoth then repeatedly ram it until destroyed (jump out prior) or do the depth gauge trick.
    After this just spawn a new seamoth via the console and all is back to normal. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.
    edited November 2016
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

You have all the resources but it won't let you? Is the mobile vehicle bay powered? If so, can you swap the power cell? Asking because IIRC you use a power cell to craft it. If you pick it up (climb aboard, look down, should be able to), does it give a power % when you hover over it in your inventory?

I have the resources, I climb aboard, click the menu, and the little circle with the seamoth 'jiggles' when i click it but nothing happens. I've never checked whether the mobile vehicle bay was powered, ever. The power cell I've used for the seamoth manufacture, along with the other 'ingredients'. I will check though.
    HarryM wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the locker location is of relevance but I'm fairly sure it was in a different location on my old bugged seamoth.

Either way Rab's method was the same one I used, remove mods and goods from the bugged seamoth then repeatedly ram it until destroyed (jump out prior) or do the depth gauge trick.

The seamoth locker will be wherever you place it. There are 4 slots for the upgrades. If you look carefully on the right, you can see an outline of the seamoth. The slots correspond to positions on the seamoth.

It could be that the devs have decided that you can have only one seamoth? I might have to crash it as you suggest, and see if I can make a new one.

UPDATE:
    Mobile Vehicle bay has no power charge associated with it.

Destroying Seamoth VIII does not enable me to make a new one :(

Destroying Seamoth VIII does not enable me to make a new one :(

OK, just for this, to fix the bug, press F3, enable console, then close that and press Enter, you should get a small text box.

Type in
    spawn seamoth

and you should get a seamoth.
    I don't want to cheat.
    When the console is closed after v1 what will you do then?
    I don't want to cheat.
    When the console is closed after v1 what will you do then?

It's in Early Access. The world matrix has bugs, if you don't want to cheat... I guess you'll have to live with them until they are fixed, or start over? xP

When the console is closed after v1, 99% of these bugs will be squashed, and the rest will be fixed soon after.
    Indeed I'm waiting for it to be fixed, which is why I mentioned it on the bug section of the forum...
  • ProbitasProbitas Join Date: 2016-11-17 Member: 224009Members
    edited November 2016
    Hm, I get this issue when driving around too, and I thought it was some kind of graphics issue. I should try and build a new one and see if that solves the problem.
    Probitas wrote: »
    Hm, I get this issue when driving around too, and I thought it was some kind of graphics issue. I should try and build a new one and see if that solves the problem.

What happened when you built your new one?
  • UnfairGraceUnfairGrace Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224269Members
    I've been having similar issues, with the framerate getting consistently worse from the start of the game (ran perfectly smooth at the start). It got drastically worse when I made my first Seamoth, with really bad lag spikes when new terrain loaded in. I finally made my first Cyclops tonight, docked my Seamoth, and the game is now 100% unplayable. Getting about 2 FPS.

Before anyone asks, I'm a graphics artist by trade so my machine is top-tier. There should be no lag whatsoever from a graphical standpoint. My graphics/debug settings have zero impact on the framerate.

This is very frustrating. I realize it's early access, but I also expected it to be actually playable for more than 10 hours, since I did pay actual money for it. I was just about to start going real deep. Oh well.

I'll try rebuilding my Seamoth but I really doubt this is the issue. There are just some massive memory/optimization issues with this game. It's a shame, because I'm really really into the gameplay. But the constant crashes and terrible framerate render the game unplayable.

Will report back after I experiment.
    edited November 2016
    I had the same problem with the seamoth in the sub. I could hardly walk in a straight line when the seamoth was docked, I got caught in the doors which made my sub lurch into my base. It was a nightmare - terrible lag! I even built a second sub - but a new seamoth fixed it, thankfully.

I also don't save with anything docked in the sub, as once I had the prawn suit in there, and when I went back to the sub to get it, it crashed the game every time. Ended up having to load an old save game.

It is worth it though, don't give up.

I've had to make 8 seamoths so far.
    Yeah try destroying your old seamoth and spawning a new one ( use code spawn seamoth )
    If I can get a steady frame rate above 5 FPS I will do so. lol
    Did you already clear your cache? If not, the link is in my sig for that.
    Yea, tried that. I don't think I did it right though. I found the post very confusing, frankly.
    try making a new seamoth first, I want to see if that helps!
    Yea, tried that. I don't think I did it right though. I found the post very confusing, frankly.

Eh. It has a YouTube walkthrough by IGP. What was confusing about it?
    Ah yea, I didn't watch the video the first time. Anyway, this still won't work, as I'm not even able to get my game stable enough to find batch numbers. As stated, I'm running at about 2FPS on average since I made my Cyclops. Bad times.
    Managed to get batch numbers and cleared cache... no appreciable difference in performance, only 10-15 fps even in the best areas.

I still have to try destroying and remaking the Seamoth. I've tried, but failed due to crashes. It may take a few attempts. Will report back!
    Sorry for the triple post.

Just managed to destroy my Seamoth. The FPS got momentarily fantastic, but then I turned to go back to the Cyclops and barely got 50m before the framerate plummeted and crashed the game again.

I think I've exhausted all avenues. I'll just wait for an update and hope it gets fixed. :-/
    Sounds like your Cyclops is having issues. Dunno how you would deep-six that... are you on experimental? If not, switch to that and then clear your cache again (because experimental has updates to the terrain etc).
    I was having major issues before the cyclops though. I'll try experimental... how do I switch?
    Framerate was awful even in experimental. Crashed within 60 seconds. Sigh. Thinking I should have waited to purchase this game. I didn't realize the current state it was in.