Bigger Submarine Concept - My own 3D model

Comments

• dargan012dargan012 Hungary Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214957Members
    edited August 2016
    Holy shit dude awesome creation man! I wish i could make something like that and btw will you make the interior too and when?

EDIT: Where would you use this submarine? Exploring the void and the edges of the map when they add something there?
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    aft2001 wrote: »
    @ElMonstro
    Well, maybe it could be a special sort of glass. Much stronger than enameled glass. Maybe a super strong plexiglass that you find the raw materials for deep beneath the waves, and it'd replace the enemaled glass required for the Cyclops, and the PRAWN suit and Seamoth would require enameled glass.

Hm.. Yes, a new material would be good. Maybe something from a new Creature? Living deep down in the depths armored by seethrough plating that you can harvest and reconstruct into constructionmaterial.
    I dont think the cyclops and the moth,need updated blueprints. They are usefull as they are.

But imagine a seconds, onemanned sub made of special materials in order to harvest ressources in great depths. So you have to built the cyclops and the big depth upgrade in order to get down to 1500, so you can harvest new stuff there in order to built a new small sub, that can go down to what? 2000?
    Where the special fishs live, which you need to be able to built the glasfront of the Atlas.

That would make the Atlas a special longterm goal :)
  • MinderMinder France Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221263Members
    dargan012 wrote: »
    Holy shit dude awesome creation man! I wish i could make something like that and btw will you make the interior too and when?

EDIT: Where would you use this submarine? Exploring the void and the edges of the map when they add something there?

I'm glad you like it! :D And why can't you make something like that? You know I'm only a beginner, but i really believe in my project! ;) For the interior, you can see my other posts! So, of course i'm doing the interior! This is the most interesting part! :smiley: And to answer your question, i have already done the layout of the rooms, and i will make the 3D model of it after i finish the texture of the exterior :) so maybe in a week if i'm productive!
    And for your final question, I want to say that you could use it anywhere you want, except the safe shallows ^^ Again, for size reference, go watch my former post :) Moreover i don't think they will add something to the edges of the map, this is just its limit. But maybe making a procedural generate world would be awesome for the new submarine, Atlas :)

@ElMonstro

I like your idea there, but this might get a little bit complex xD Nevertheless, it would make the Atlas very hard to construct for the end game, which is a good thing in my opinion :)
  • dargan012dargan012 Hungary Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214957Members
    edited August 2016
    Yeah it would be cool if the developers added a randomly generated unique biome to fill in the voides at the edge of the map and it would be at the depth of 500-1000 meter

EDIT: 1.Why did you choose the Atlas and not the Manta or other leviathan class creatures? (Just curious)
    2. what program did you use?
    dargan012 wrote: »
    Yeah it would be cool if the developers added a randomly generated unique biome to fill in the voides at the edge of the map and it would be at the depth of 500-1000 meter

EDIT: 1.Why did you choose the Atlas and not the Manta or other leviathan class creatures? (Just curious)
    2. what program did you use?

Yeah that's right, i could chose other submarine concept but i don't really like the shape of the Manta for its size. There is also the Draconis, but we don't have enough information about it, we don't know its size and for me it looks almost like a spaceship. When i saw the Atlas, i really like the concept! For me it really looks like a submarine, like an upgrade of the Cyclops. And furthermore, its cockpit just look awesome! :smiley:
    And to answer your final question, i'm using Blender, which is free and complete. And for texturing i'm using Photoshop :)
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    The back fin looks a little tall in the drawing will it be a tall fin?
  • hampus034hampus034 Sweden Join Date: 2016-08-13 Member: 221254Members
  • dexter397dexter397 U.S.A. Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218486Members
    I really like it, it seems to be coming along great to so keep up the good work man :)
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    Simply an amazing job!

I think the cockpit should be the "WOW!" factor for when the player first steps inside! Monitors should above the players head to the left and right displaying information. In particular the ability to see your rear sides in realtime (in the form of cameras that stream to the screens) would make this 1000% easier to navigate in medium depth waters. The ship's interior should look like four people were meant to man the ship (I.e. two pilot seats). The other rooms can look modular, but cockpit should be awesome! :smiley:

Prepare for some wild ideas which extend the scope of your work :wink:
    In terms of how this ship is suppose to function with only one man? I could think of a few ideas,but just imagine one of the components required is the aurora's central AI core. This would serve to make sure the player has all the checklist stuff (located in the depth of the spaceship) such as: has diamond cutter, has propulsion gun, ect. The player is limited to ONE alatas, and also we could get a custom voice for this ship. Imagine stepping inside "Systems online, gyroscopic matter drives active, etc" while the screens move into place and turn on. On top of that when you bank the AI core could comment "calculating gyroscopic feedback and applying counter boosters" (obviously mutable).

Also I feel ther should be tiny impulse bosters that sit on the side of the ships to allow for weak horizontal adjustments! :D

• SanguisDiabolusSanguisDiabolus Join Date: 2016-07-30 Member: 220790Members
    I posted this a week or so ago, but the forum got rolled back because of the hack:

The design is absolutely beautiful. You're clearly very talented, and it really looks like it belongs in Subnautica. But realistically speaking, with the game the way it is now, a vehicle bigger than the Cyclops serves no purpose. In fact, considering how the world is designed and its current scale, a bigger vehicle wouldn't even be able to go to certain areas at all.

I really like it, but unfortunately it has no purpose in the current game. I think the goal should be to increase the scale of Subnautica's world so that this creation would have a reason to exist.
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited September 2016
    Good work Minder, for a beginner in 3D you already master many advanced skills, and the fact that you are using blender ( a not so easy tool to grasp first hand) certainly abides this well.
    Atlas is a great name.
    I agree with SanguisDiabolus the world would need to be scaled up to use a submarine of that size. On my first post i wrote a set of ideas and used the concept art of this same vessel as a possible endgame scenario.
  • SamNauticaSamNautica Join Date: 2016-08-22 Member: 221596Members
    That's a really amazing model but at this point I think it's just too big for the world. Maybe if they added space between biomes or extended the map it would be perfect and sort of like an ultimate goal to try and reach.
  • WarmindWarmind Connecticut Join Date: 2016-04-13 Member: 215710Members
    edited September 2016
    Minder wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

A bit of introduction here : I'm new on the forums but not on the game. Subnautica is one of my favorite game and although i didn't spend too much time on it, i had a super experience playing it! What I enjoyed the most is the exploration thanks to the wonderful places there are, and also the submarines, especially the Cyclops. And for once, a developer team has enough talent to make the vehicle completely playable. And not just making the exterior and the cockpit.
    I'm currently a student for game design, and I started to make my own 3D models. Moreover i saw the concept arts for other submarines and particularly the bigger one which looks just fantastic! I know I'm really a beginner in modelling and texturing, but I want to give it a try. Maybe you could give some criticism and tips for this challenge! :tongue:
    Thank you in advance and hope you will like it! :smiley:
    (I will do updates)

It's wonderful that you've taken an interest in game design and I urge you to pursue that career, but I have two criticisms:

1) What edge does it have over the cyclops. If it has none, there really isn't a point.

2) It is expensive to create the animations and movements for these models.

Unknownworlds is hiring if you interested in applying for modeling.
    @Warmind
    Hey many just cut down that quote, don't really need the images haha!
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    Captagear wrote: »
    @Warmind
    Hey many just cut down that quote, don't really need the images haha!

It was an accident haha
  • CaptainRonCaptainRon Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219569Members
    Loving this sub... that concept art is definitely my all time favorite, so glad you're bringing it to life. :)
  • Underwater_SpongeUnderwater_Sponge Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222114Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    I think maybe the best place for a hatch is the same place as the Cyclops, at the bottom front.

I think that it would be a bit cooler (and easier) if the seamoth would come from the side. For animation purposes, rather then having to open two enormous pieces of the ship, you'd need one to move out of the way, and the seamoth to move sideways.

UPDATE!!!!

I'm back!!! :D Yeah sorry for the inactivity but i was very busy IRL. I moved out to an another city and i just began my video game/game design school. We are currently foccusing on the drawings, but it takes so much time and energy! :o I will try to be more activ and to work harder to get the time to continue this project!
    And thanks everyone for your support! It helps the project too! :p
    I'm still working on the texture of the main hull. I'm adding all the details you can see!

Now it's going to be a bit of a long post, i will try to answer your questions :)

Captagear wrote: »
    Simply an amazing job!

I think the cockpit should be the "WOW!" factor for when the player first steps inside! Monitors should above the players head to the left and right displaying information. In particular the ability to see your rear sides in realtime (in the form of cameras that stream to the screens) would make this 1000% easier to navigate in medium depth waters. The ship's interior should look like four people were meant to man the ship (I.e. two pilot seats). The other rooms can look modular, but cockpit should be awesome! :smiley:

Prepare for some wild ideas which extend the scope of your work :wink:
    In terms of how this ship is suppose to function with only one man? I could think of a few ideas,but just imagine one of the components required is the aurora's central AI core. This would serve to make sure the player has all the checklist stuff (located in the depth of the spaceship) such as: has diamond cutter, has propulsion gun, ect. The player is limited to ONE alatas, and also we could get a custom voice for this ship. Imagine stepping inside "Systems online, gyroscopic matter drives active, etc" while the screens move into place and turn on. On top of that when you bank the AI core could comment "calculating gyroscopic feedback and applying counter boosters" (obviously mutable).

Also I feel ther should be tiny impulse bosters that sit on the side of the ships to allow for weak horizontal adjustments! :D

Yeah this is what i frist liked on the concept art, the cockpit! :) And all of your ideas are great! I will try to make them happen ;) for the monitors i wan do that, but for the gameplay ideas, like the AI core, it has to be done by the devs with the game itself ^^ Ahah and for the voices, if you want to, you can make them :p But yeah that would sound fricking cool ^^
    And actually for the boosters, this is not planned becaus as I said, I try to comply with the original artwork.

I posted this a week or so ago, but the forum got rolled back because of the hack:

The design is absolutely beautiful. You're clearly very talented, and it really looks like it belongs in Subnautica. But realistically speaking, with the game the way it is now, a vehicle bigger than the Cyclops serves no purpose. In fact, considering how the world is designed and its current scale, a bigger vehicle wouldn't even be able to go to certain areas at all.

I really like it, but unfortunately it has no purpose in the current game. I think the goal should be to increase the scale of Subnautica's world so that this creation would have a reason to exist.

Yeah i know for the forum bug, i had also answered you x)
    I know that this design is really huge, but i think it has it chances for multiple reasons :
    I make it just double the size of the cyclops, therefore it is not too big, but the size is still ineresting to get; I think that a lot of people really enjoyed the cyclops, so i really wanted to develop this idea of a bigger functionnal sub ; It would also be a great way to introduce the coop feature ; yeah, bigger biomes and larger map would be great, but now there are even more spaces in the game, and just look at the sea emperor and dragon ^^ They are the same size as the Atlas now ahah ^^

WSBurns wrote: »
    Good work Minder, for a beginner in 3D you already master many advanced skills, and the fact that you are using blender ( a not so easy tool to grasp first hand) certainly abides this well.
    Atlas is a great name.
    I agree with SanguisDiabolus the world would need to be scaled up to use a submarine of that size. On my first post i wrote a set of ideas and used the concept art of this same vessel as a possible endgame scenario.

Yes, same idea as above. And yes i also think it would be a great endgoal for the game :)

SamNautica wrote: »
    That's a really amazing model but at this point I think it's just too big for the world. Maybe if they added space between biomes or extended the map it would be perfect and sort of like an ultimate goal to try and reach.

Same idea, just look above ^^

Warmind wrote: »

It's wonderful that you've taken an interest in game design and I urge you to pursue that career, but I have two criticisms:

1) What edge does it have over the cyclops. If it has none, there really isn't a point.

2) It is expensive to create the animations and movements for these models.

Unknownworlds is hiring if you interested in applying for modeling.[/quote]

First one, already answered, and for the second, i don't actually get the point. You mean expensive by its price? (because if it is, it's just time consuming, like modelling, no differences here). And for the animation, i have already made complex ones, and for this vehicle, there are not that much animations (except for the seamoth docking). Movements is already done with the cyclops. You would just have to change values.
    (And i know for the job opportunity, but i think i'm not enough talented for that ahah ^^)

CaptainRon wrote: »
    Loving this sub... that concept art is definitely my all time favorite, so glad you're bringing it to life. :)

Yeah, one of my favorite too ^^ And don't forget to check this post, i'm continuing it!

Jamezorg wrote: »
    I think maybe the best place for a hatch is the same place as the Cyclops, at the bottom front.

I think that it would be a bit cooler (and easier) if the seamoth would come from the side. For animation purposes, rather then having to open two enormous pieces of the ship, you'd need one to move out of the way, and the seamoth to move sideways.

In fact, even if the idea is not that bad, i don't think it would be easier for this method. Because this animation is already done, and in my perspective, i can't really change this, or i would have to work with the devs to match the game properly :) I don't know what i'm gonna do, i'm working now on others things, but i will keep this idea in mind :)
  • MirekPL94MirekPL94 Poland Join Date: 2015-08-11 Member: 207014Members
    Or make more than one hatch and two docks for both vehicles exo and seamoth but for this submarine we need larger and deeper world . Now this can be usefull where leviathans live (dunes) .
    Minder wrote: »

First one, already answered, and for the second, i don't actually get the point. You mean expensive by its price? (because if it is, it's just time consuming, like modelling, no differences here). And for the animation, i have already made complex ones, and for this vehicle, there are not that much animations (except for the seamoth docking). Movements is already done with the cyclops. You would just have to change values.
    (And i know for the job opportunity, but i think i'm not enough talented for that ahah ^^)

I didn't see the first answer, where was that? Also, it is very time consuming yes, but you have to pay people for their time and efforts (Even if it's cut). As far as the animations go, are there any custom animations to interact with unique creatures? What can damage it? I didn't clarify last night because I wasn't fully awake, but these are my concerns. How will it navigate shallower areas, what about the interior (Door anims, ladders, spacing)? How fast will it go? Max depth? Will it be too big to navigate deep caves? I have countless more questions, and i'm sorry, but I don't see it being added. Maybe try designing some flora or fauna, because that's what we lack the most!
    Congratulations i hope your schooling goes well
  • ArgonauticaArgonautica Join Date: 2016-09-07 Member: 222138Members
    Wow.

Really nice work! Absolutly respect.

i work with Blender myself, and do a lot for Gaming (mostly ETS2).

but this looks really amazing.
    Is there any way, to get your model in the Game if you finish it ?
    or is it only "concept" ?

best Greetings from Germany.
    I don't know if anyone suggested this but have you considered having a vehicle bay on top and bottom? I started noticing that with the exosuit, I can't exactly see directly above me so I'm just blind guiding it into the cyclops' bay where it's not really an issue with the seamoth. Would be kinda kool to just jump on top of the Draconis, walk up to the bay door, then being lowered down to the vehicle bay. :smiley:
    edited September 2016
    jump on top of the Draconis

You mean the Atlas? ;)
    Warmind wrote: »

I didn't see the first answer, where was that? Also, it is very time consuming yes, but you have to pay people for their time and efforts (Even if it's cut). As far as the animations go, are there any custom animations to interact with unique creatures? What can damage it? I didn't clarify last night because I wasn't fully awake, but these are my concerns. How will it navigate shallower areas, what about the interior (Door anims, ladders, spacing)? How fast will it go? Max depth? Will it be too big to navigate deep caves? I have countless more questions, and i'm sorry, but I don't see it being added. Maybe try designing some flora or fauna, because that's what we lack the most!

I'm not english so i don't know what you meant by edges? it is advantages over the cyclops? If this is the case, for me, this submarine is really intesresting thanks to its size. It's already cool to walk around in the cyclops, and now it would be much more fun! And that's basically the whole point of the Atlas x) But yeah, i think this is also a great way to introduce the coop, and also to get more functional rooms than the cylops, like a real base :)
    For the other part, am i getting paid for what i done? x) You can do all be yourself too! And then i think you are confusing animation and gameplay. First, why would there be customs animations to interact with unique creatures? The Cyclops doesn't have this feature.The damage that can be taken are not my job I think, this is part of the gameplay, and only devs can decide that. (none creature can damage the Cylops btw).How will it navigate shallower areas? It just won't be able to xD But i think it will be like the Cyclops, you are just blocked by the terrain. You should read my other posts, for the interior i made a quick drax to show the possible layout of the rooms. (Door animations are really easy to do, I have already figured out where the ladders will be, but i will precise this part when i will go for the interior :) ) The speed of the submarine, its max depth are also part of the gameplay, therefore, this is still the devs that decide it. But again this is only a value to quickly change ^^ For deep caves, the Cyclops is nearly too big for them, and i don't think this is what a submarine is design to. But don't be afraid to ask your questions! :D
    And waht have you against my submarine, you don't want it? xD

Yargish89 wrote: »
    Congratulations i hope your schooling goes well

Thanks! But yeah it's fine but actually really hard x)

Wow.

Really nice work! Absolutly respect.

i work with Blender myself, and do a lot for Gaming (mostly ETS2).

but this looks really amazing.
    Is there any way, to get your model in the Game if you finish it ?
    or is it only "concept" ?

best Greetings from Germany.

Ahah that's great too! (but i've never played it ^^)
    Nah i don't think so, unfortunetely the game's files are crytped so we can't change them :/
    The only hope is that the devs would implemente it by themself, but it would be a miracle x)
    Best greetings from France! :D

I don't know if anyone suggested this but have you considered having a vehicle bay on top and bottom? I started noticing that with the exosuit, I can't exactly see directly above me so I'm just blind guiding it into the cyclops' bay where it's not really an issue with the seamoth. Would be kinda kool to just jump on top of the Draconis, walk up to the bay door, then being lowered down to the vehicle bay. :smiley:

Your idea makes me think about it. But now i want your thoughts. I don't know if you have looke to it but i posted a picture of the rooms layout. The only effectiv way to do it would be to keep the seamoth docking bay at the bottom, and replace the engine room by a docking bay for the exosuit! And just put the engine room much further. But yeah i really like that idea (even if this would be difficult to do ^^)
    (and btw the Draconis is another concept art, i called this one the Atlas :p )

edited September 2016
    SMALL UPDATE!!!!

Again sorry guys for the lacks of advancements for the project but i don't get the time :/
    But i've got two things for you to show that i'm not giving up on the 3D model!
    First here is a quick image of what i'm working on. (This is all the details of the texture of the front side) :

SUBNAUTICA_27.pngheberger une image

And I wanted to tell you that, because i'm now in a video game school, i can ask for help! So yeah tomorrow, one of the teacher is going to look at my model, and it will tell me what he thinks and he will be able to give me advice! :)
    @Minder

Hey keep up the good work! :D

Honestly this is progressing faster than some things do over months :P
    Well then dude keep strong and kick but man
    Copy that, Atlas it is... lol. :blush:

I just went through all the pictures and when I saw the double bay at the bottom, that's what made me think about it. I was thinking since the exosuit wouldn't need to be as big as the seamoth's bay, it could replace the Dormitory and possibly combine it with the storage room. Like for me, I use the seamoth to just travel, scout, scope stuff out but use the exosuit to gather raw materials and drill them, so it'd be handy to be able to access the exosuit's storage (which we can't in the cyclops) and put them in storage. (Although I realized this is just for fun, but it does make sense logically.)

The Dormitory could take place in the command room as to me, the cockpit and the command room would make sense to be in one area to have it all in one place, much like any real subs and our cyclops (since its suppose to be manned by 3 crew and it looks like all their station takes place in the cockpit area, leaving me to believe it's also the command room).

Now the Dormitory is bigger so you can fit a crew quarters, captain's quaters, and a messhall... following the same assumption that the Atlas is recommended to be manned by a certain amount of crew, only the most experienced can solo man it. :tongue:

Course now there's half the space to deal with the bottom vehicle bay... I was thinking something along the line of a scanner room function where you can actually scan for resources? Might be overkill usefulness. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.