Should the story continue in space after you are rescued (If you are)

Comments

• BraydenDCBraydenDC Canada, British Columbia, Mission Join Date: 2015-06-03 Member: 205193Members
    edited June 2016
    Fireclaw wrote: »
    SubNautica really isn't a story based game, I mean I think there should be *some* backround story, but in terms of being rescued, no.

Now maybe there could be a part in the game where you send out a rescue signal, but no one ever comes, but other than that, eh.

Subnautica is in-fact a story driven game. The fact that there is gonna be an end game (confirmed by dev's) and that you can continue after said end game just proves that the story is important. The devs at subanutica are making alot of lore and background stories along side the story of the lava castle, sea emperor prison, past expeditions, and so much more. This is and will be a story driven survival sandbox game.
  • EHW1EHW1 Los Angeles Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214122Members
    They've already planned for the character to get off the planet and that there is a story
  • WarViperWarViper Texas Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216062Members
    No because you are asking the devs to make a whole other game and that just isn't going to happen.
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    I cant answer yes or no, yet I cant help but think that maybe after your encounters with the "precursors" you have a choice to either help them ( not take out the pulse doohickey ) or destroy it..

Either way you chose you learn that this is NOT the only planet the precursors are on.. Somewhere out there in the big void of space theres another enclave of these precursors needing our help to stop thier planet from the same terraforming demise..

Boom enter subnautica 2.. Subnauticanauts! Or some thing along those lines lmao (jk)

Personally I don't think its that far fetched of an idea to think that the precursors could also be space capable, seeing as they can build gun emplacements that can knock a massive ship like the aurora out of low orbit ( or is it just orbit?)

If it was in fact the gun emplacement that took out the aurora they would need advanced knowledge to not only build such device but also get the thing to shoot clean through the "waves" and into space and score a hit on a moving object..

We would be nieve to think that this planet does not have extremely intelligent beings/creatures that dwell beneath the waves living on it.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    EHW1 wrote: »
    They've already planned for the character to get off the planet and that there is a story

Half life 3 m8
  • Canek2317dCanek2317d Russia Join Date: 2016-06-17 Member: 218696Members
    I think salvation must be presented to the player to choose from .. After the restoration of all the rooms of the ship at the end of the recovery ..
  • JavaMPJavaMP Belgium Join Date: 2016-06-04 Member: 218080Members
    edited June 2016
    I would love to see a story in the game where you rescue the sea emperor and then she shows you a whole new location in the oceaan with new resources,fishes and new tools to become the king of the ocean!
  • DarnizhaanDarnizhaan Earth Join Date: 2016-06-24 Member: 219020Members
    nope i think since it was said in a found pda that its a weapon of some sort, one of the goals/missions could be find the device and disable it, after that have colonize war with the aliens that built what ever crashed your ship while supporting your fellow humans to tame this wild world. That is a simple a bare bones idea that i have for a story that might be useable.
  • Kalle_KakanKalle_Kakan Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221639Members
    I really think there should be not like an ending but you discover maybe some blackhole or technolegy and you can use it to teleport back to earth or maybe some space station and like you can return so there will still be so that you can go back to the other world and like build space ships or air vessels and space stations and there be like pirate raids that you need to fight of and just add a bunch of stuff and some npcs that colonize the sea,island,space stations and maybe you get the aurora and get to rebuild it and and discover new places or just have it as a home that you could get to by a transport ship that picks you up and goes to the aurora. I really would like it to something like this and that would be fun to like explore new worlds similear to that planet you crash on and travel to the other worlds with help off the aurora.
  • Kalle_KakanKalle_Kakan Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221639Members
    if someone dosent want it more you dont have to do it. It could be a free DLC thats pretty funny and the people that dosent want that just dont have to download it that should be fine to have right.
  • aft2001aft2001 Join Date: 2016-08-19 Member: 221500Members
    Well, it seems that the story is being developed to have a rescue in it. Or atleast an attempted one. I got a message on my communicator (I was in the experimental build for the PRAWN update). It was a trade ship responding to the distress signal the Aurora sent. Also, I completely agree with @Formous
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    edited August 2016
    I don't think that a rescue would serve this game well. The whole idea idea around the game is that your all alone on an alien planet with alien creatures and flora, with no hope of ever getting off. Having a rescue at the end would spoil the idea. If you got taken up to the rescue ship by a smaller ship but than the larger ship gets treated like the aurora maybe that would work and bring in multiplayer with another survivor from the rescue mission. Just my opinion.
  • ElMonstroElMonstro Germany Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221570Members
    JavaMP wrote: »
    I would love to see a story in the game where you rescue the sea emperor and then she shows you a whole new location in the oceaan with new resources,fishes and new tools to become the king of the ocean!

Somehow that sound fishy xD
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    ElMonstro wrote: »
    JavaMP wrote: »

Somehow that sound fishy xD

Well don't be crabby about it :wink:
  • NitoNito Germany Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221631Members
    edited August 2016
    so i read many ideas here.

I like the idea, to get some NPCs and you can say,
    "You do that and you do that and you stay in the corner and be quiet."
    "^^

If i am right, the Sea Emperor are very important to the storyline...
    so what if the SEA EMPEROR are the cause for the Aurora incident?
    He needs help to get out of the prison, so he (however he can do that)
    sent the beam, which shots the Aurora down... a distress call...
    So we have to free him.
    After that, we can continue with the colonization mission, the Emperor is free
    so no ships where shoot down anymore and we can get help to build a new place
    for mankind.

I totally disagreed with the idea to left this planet...
    there are many people who say, we have to stay on THIS planet.
    Yes we have. Sure we can go to the moon, but thats not Subnautica, even when
    it is a planet similar to this one, it wouldn't be same.

P.s.: Hope its clearly what i mean, because my english is very bad...
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    @Nito, your English is very clear. About the beam (I know this is subject to change), I read on the wiki that it is of precursor origin so it was probably the Precursors that sent out that beam (located on island).
  • NitoNito Germany Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221631Members
    hm, so this could be the reason for the energy source signal on the 2nd island. I went to it, but when i arive at that point, there where nothing.

But i hope the Emperor was it. Has a little touch of a bad joke^^
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    your topic gives me a strong Mornigstar vibe. for those unaware, Mornigstar was a puzzle based story game released way back when; where you (the player) are stranded on a desert planet with a instantly lethal atmopshere. the difference here is that game you get off that sand ball before the natives kill you, but spooky statues and alien contraptions.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Another planet as a sequel or expansion would be awesome.
  • OrnafulsameeOrnafulsamee Join Date: 2016-08-25 Member: 221707Members
    There will be a rescue, I personally thinks you will have to save yourself by building a rocket in a deep biome, if you take in consideration the roadmap image showing that sketch on a whiteboard.

However, no, there's no point in playing in the space, the whole point of having such an endgame is to give a goal for most of the players, in most of the sandbox games there are some goals that requires huge amount of time to reach, but in the end it's just to please most of the players who runs out of ideas, or just want to reach what they can consider, the end of the game. Factorio do that with his rocket, Terraria have a big boss, I think Minecraft do that too. All the solo sandboxes have at least one really hard goal settled.

But everyone knows there is no end in a good sandbox game.
  • DarkfirewizardDarkfirewizard utah Join Date: 2017-01-25 Member: 227229Members
    ok so i think you can go one of 2 ways with this game make the whole thing building up to the rescue make it a good game that way add more stuff and what not and that would be fine or and this would be way better you get in contact with a ship on the way to colonize the planet and you warn them then start working with them to get them here you disable the cannon and they land then you work with them to start colonizing the planet maybe through a floating man-made island in then its discovered about the plague and you work with them to wipe it out on this planet and of corse there would be other details but im not going to sit for the next 3 days and work um out this would also open up room for other games in the series where you get sent to these planets where the plague is and have to establish a foothold get the defences off and wipe it out like maybe a forest world or one where the surface is unliveable and its all in caves or something
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Why are people here have a hard on for unsatisfying endings?

Not being rescued? Seriously?

"Yo all that work you put into being rescued and escaping? Yeah you can forget about that."

That'd be absolute BS. Why would anyone want that? Why work toward anything?
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    edited January 2017
    ok so i think you can go one of 2 ways with this game make the whole thing building up to the rescue make it a good game that way add more stuff and what not and that would be fine or and this would be way better you get in contact with a ship on the way to colonize the planet and you warn them then start working with them to get them here you disable the cannon and they land then you work with them to start colonizing the planet maybe through a floating man-made island in then its discovered about the plague and you work with them to wipe it out on this planet and of corse there would be other details but im not going to sit for the next 3 days and work um out this would also open up room for other games in the series where you get sent to these planets where the plague is and have to establish a foothold get the defences off and wipe it out like maybe a forest world or one where the surface is unliveable and its all in caves or something

Necro_Card.jpg
    php_name_Thread_Locker_cardtype_Trap_trapmagicty.jpg
    I may have made the other one too.

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Why are people here have a hard on for unsatisfying endings?

Not being rescued? Seriously?

"Yo all that work you put into being rescued and escaping? Yeah you can forget about that."

That'd be absolute BS. Why would anyone want that? Why work toward anything?

I conquered the planet by myself and now... ITS MINE. and I dun wanna share :P
  • almisamialmisami Join Date: 2017-01-22 Member: 227094Members
    IMHO the post-game once you get out into space should be to get picked up by a precursor ship, congratulated and then promptly sent down as a research subject because they find the player character interesting.
  • DavidXlte01234DavidXlte01234 Indonesian Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227936Members
    i think no, because its not the Subnautica again, Subnautica is about the water planet, if the story continues in the space, its kinda feel weird
  • somerandomsurvivorsomerandomsurvivor Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225606Members
    edited February 2017
    So I honestly feel like there shouldn't be a rescue... You might ask why. Simply put, we are a single person going against what so many have before and failed. even if we are supposed to be different, there has to be a damn catch unless someone wants to write us out of being stranded in what would only be a super BS way. What I say should happen is that you can find a way to immunize yourself (and cure yourself), while possibly stopping the disease on the planet, but as the only ship in god knows how far has been vaporized, I think that you should essentially just survive from there. No rescue, maybe a few secret endings, but unless you trigger the endings, it's just infinite time to build and explore as you please.

Maybe a secret ending be the aliens find out what you did, and so they return to the planet to do whatever (probably see what happened after all this time) and you get to be abducted... but getting saved is honestly one of those things that at this point, unless there is some sort of Metroid style speedrun reward endings, would have to be ex machina-ed in.

If there is a rescue, maybe it can be a speedrun reward where if you can disable the gun and stop the disease before the sunbeam arrives, you can get that speedrun ending, but it still wouldn't continue on there.

There would be no point. Subnautica is a game about the ocean, and not the one filled with stars. Cutscenes might look pretty, but unless the devs want to pull a no man sky on us and have us be some sort of aqua planet surveyor for whoever picks it up, there would be no continuing without inherently making a different game (please don't pull a no man sky on us devs...)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    The current ending is going to be
    you build a rocket from blueprints downloaded to the captain's quarters, and launch it to escape, after curing yourself and disabling the weapon system (which will only stay disabled for 30 mins IIRC)
  • DavidXlte01234DavidXlte01234 Indonesian Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227936Members
    but i see with my tiny eye....an alternate ending on trello!!! waht could it be?
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Absolutely not. The player should be rescued, and the game should end there. There's no reason to prolong gameplay once you've left planet 4546B.