Checkmate Spearmen

dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
There's a new message in the game now.
gevd27z1hk16.jpg

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I remember seeing similar messages a while back when using the debug command to reveal all implemented Encyclopeda entries. The Acid Swamps one is new though!

@Obraxis got a system named after him! Awesome ^^
  • AstromancerAstromancer Texas Join Date: 2016-05-13 Member: 216713Members
    I was just talking to the discord community about this haha.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    GREAT find! Thanks for sharing, I'd most probably miss that. :expressionless:
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I'm very glad the devs finally killed the weapon argument.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    "following the massacre on Obraxis Prime" Lol that's an awesome backstory!
    edited August 2016

I'd love to think that this would, but I imagine there'll still be a lot of "But why can't you build [weapon request here] since you can already build [reference existing defensive system]?" sort of arguments regardless. Plus, the player would need to actually find and read that particular article.

Regardless, it's nice to see that they've put in a canon reason for why our fabricator isn't going to be giving us these things.
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    Well, I don't wan't spears or actual military weaponry in the game, just a cattle prod or something that works like the sea moth defend system, to scare of predators
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Rezca wrote: »

I'd love to think that this would, but I imagine there'll still be a lot of "But why can't you build [weapon request here] since you can already build [reference existing defensive system]?" sort of arguments regardless. Plus, the player would need to actually find and read that particular article.

Regardless, it's nice to see that they've put in a canon reason for why our fabricator isn't going to be giving us these things.

Image saved for future quotes :smiley:
    kJG wrote: »
    Well, I don't wan't spears or actual military weaponry in the game, just a cattle prod or something that works like the sea moth defend system, to scare of predators

Maybe they'll do something with the Koosh Bushes. I recall hearing about a plan/concept for them a ways back where they'd emit something that warded off predators when used in a certain way.
    Rezca wrote: »

Maybe they'll do something with the Koosh Bushes. I recall hearing about a plan/concept for them a ways back where they'd emit something that warded off predators when used in a certain way.

I think they should go in the direction of pheromone based stuff. Not a weapon, but still very much able to keep stuff away.
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    Oh finally! Devs have listened to the voice of reason and included the message about lethal guns.
    Weapons were removed from standard survival blueprints
    I've signed up at this forum half a year ago to suggest exactly that, and get plenty of hate from forum weirdos for that idea.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Apparently, in the future, people are dumb as hell and condem themselves to being torn apart by the unending armys of creatures with no goal other than to kill all living things that cross their paths. I am SO sick of this "no weapons" thing. The ONLY argument against them is "oh, the devs hate guns". All it is is the dev's bringing politics into the game. There is no logical story argument. The only gameplay argument is that your "supposed to use your brain". Yea right. There is not one single mechanic to avoid getting killed by the 90% of the ocean with an inexplicable urge to kill you that requires thought. All there is is exploiting their crappy AI or hiding in a sub or base.

Everyone talks about some special trick with pheromones or sound or magic that we could get, but the devs have not ONCE mentioned anything about that, and I highly doubt that they will ever add anything like that. And even then, how much brain power does it take to use you stalker-repellant bat-spray? Probably slightly less than what the dumb as hell AI have right now.
    sayerulz wrote: »
    Apparently, in the future, people are dumb as hell and condem themselves to being torn apart by the unending armys of creatures with no goal other than to kill all living things that cross their paths. I am SO sick of this "no weapons" thing. The ONLY argument against them is "oh, the devs hate guns". All it is is the dev's bringing politics into the game. There is no logical story argument. The only gameplay argument is that your "supposed to use your brain". Yea right. There is not one single mechanic to avoid getting killed by the 90% of the ocean with an inexplicable urge to kill you that requires thought. All there is is exploiting their crappy AI or hiding in a sub or base.

Everyone talks about some special trick with pheromones or sound or magic that we could get, but the devs have not ONCE mentioned anything about that, and I highly doubt that they will ever add anything like that. And even then, how much brain power does it take to use you stalker-repellant bat-spray? Probably slightly less than what the dumb as hell AI have right now.

Yo, human torch, go flame on somewhere else. You may be sick of it, but its definitely not changing now. Deal with it (pun very much intended thank you) or go play something that has weapons, like Shark Attack, or Depth. Or Far Cry 3! That one has sharks AND guns. But stop trying to stir shit up here. The devs have made their decision, and it seems to be a VERY vocal minority that's upset. Most of us realize that its not going to kill us to have to find a different way, and I imagine it'll be harder as I believe they're going to revamp creature behavior. On the subject of pheromones, we will be getting the Transfuser, which isn't quite the same, but could have a similar effect. Referring to the page on the wiki, it says injecting a creature with Rabbit Ray serum will make it friendly towards you. And that takes way more brain power than just going "OMG A SHARK BANG BANG".
  • Mr_EndarMr_Endar Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213859Members
    Apparently, in the future, people are dumb as hell
    lol aren't people now?)
    Although I guess it is because of lack of life experience - unpleasant life experiences - that people don't realize how mean the real life outside is.

Speaking of Subnautica game however, lethal guns would break the gameplay the devs are trying to make. So in-game explanation for the lack of lethal weapons is a good thing for immersion.
    I'd love to have a shark steak though.
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    I dont particularly care about lethal guns but a nonlethal defense weapon when diving and exploring would be useful.

This is a great idea actually a battery powered stun rod, for warding off a larger predator that comes too close when you are trying to get away.

It would probably be balanced by eating through batteries quickly and an inability to kill large fish

might be useful for flash frying a peeper for a quick meal.

• LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I was thinking more of a propelled stun grenade. You let it loose, and it detonates after a short set distance or on impact, shocking and temporarily stunning whatever it hits. I'm sure the dive suit is advanced enough to have some insulation to protect the user (but not enough to protect him from that electrical eel creature).
  • WastelandJoeWastelandJoe USAUSAUSA Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219591Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    I was thinking more of a propelled stun grenade. You let it loose, and it detonates after a short set distance or on impact, shocking and temporarily stunning whatever it hits. I'm sure the dive suit is advanced enough to have some insulation to protect the user (but not enough to protect him from that electrical eel creature).

something using crash-powder would be interesting.

underwater flashbangs anyone?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    All there is is exploiting their crappy AI or hiding in a sub or base.

These methods seem to work fine. And besides, would the game really be interesting at all if you just blasted everything that crossed your path?
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    All there is is exploiting their crappy AI or hiding in a sub or base.

These methods seem to work fine. And besides, would the game really be interesting at all if you just blasted everything that crossed your path?

For me, that'd depend a lot on if the hostile fauna respawned or not. However, I'm inclined to say that I prefer the feel of not being the "Top Dog" in the oceans and having to be cautious and think your way around the more dangerous regions. Granted, the current AI can be exploited if you know how, but I wouldn't expect that to last forever (And sometimes the fauna do have a habit of sneaking up on you unawares at times....)
  • DactylosDactylos United States Join Date: 2016-07-11 Member: 220055Members
    Honestly? Sometimes I'm just super frustrated by lack of options. When your riding high with repulsion and propulsion cannons, thats all well and good. But at one point early game, I was getting my butt gnawed on by two sharks that hat set up right outside my base. They hadn't been there when I built it. But apparently they smelled the metal and wanted in.

So they were just there. Outside. Every time I wanted to edit my base, they would go over and take a bite out of me. Finally I decided enough was enough. I took my knife and went to get rid of him. Then the one I was attacking was joined by two more. I soon had a mosh pit outside my house. And died like... fifteen times.

Insane wrote: »
    Apparently, in the future, people are dumb as hell and condem themselves to being torn apart by the unending armys of creatures with no goal other than to kill all living things that cross their paths. I am SO sick of this "no weapons" thing. The ONLY argument against them is "oh, the devs hate guns". All it is is the dev's bringing politics into the game. There is no logical story argument.

We are not "bringing" politics into the game. The game was conceived and designed from the very beginning to be about avoiding the use of lethal weapons as a way of solving problems. If that frustrates you, I'm sorry, but it's not going to change.

But you need to understand that we're not forcing an agenda or pushing politics into a place where it doesn't belong, because of course it belongs here. Every single creative work has a political component to its message, even if it's no more complex than "I am comfortable with the status quo and therefore have nothing I wish to say about it". We've chosen to make a game without lethal weapons because we are interested in exploring those ideas, and because some of us, myself included, weren't very keen on making another game focused on guns and combat.

It's not politically neutral to make a game where your primary mode of interacting with the world is through a weapon; even less so in the case of games like Call of Duty which are largely about solving geopolitical issues through the use of weapons. I'm not saying you can't like that or support that, but I am saying that it's disingenuous to suggest we're forcing politics into a politics-free zone. We're just taking a stance you happen to disagree with, possibly even questioning something you took for granted.

I don't think many people are interested in swimming around shooting everything with an underwater Kalashnikov.

I think, and the views of other players seem to reflect this sentiment, that defensive items meant to scare away, stun, or temporarily blind an aggressive predator that is attempting to gnaw your face off would not be out of place in your design.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    We are not "bringing" politics into the game. The game was conceived and designed from the very beginning to be about avoiding the use of lethal weapons as a way of solving problems. If that frustrates you, I'm sorry, but it's not going to change.

Wait, you mean I'm not supposed to be launching acid mushrooms into everything? Or using the stasis rifle as a free-stabbing exploit? Or shoving monsters into volcanic vents? Or electrocuting the crap out of things with my Seamoth for jollies? Or using the Cyclops as a battering ram?

And all this time I just thought you were teaching me to be creative with my aquatic genocide. Shucks.

DagothUr wrote: »

Wait, you mean I'm not supposed to be launching acid mushrooms into everything? Or using the stasis rifle as a free-stabbing exploit? Or shoving monsters into volcanic vents? Or electrocuting the crap out of things with my Seamoth for jollies? Or using the Cyclops as a battering ram?

And all this time I just thought you were teaching me to be creative with my aquatic genocide. Shucks.

Shhhh! don't tell them that you can punch things to death with the exosuit!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited August 2016

You heartless demon!! :scream:

....except for them biters, you can do all that to them and much much moar! :triumph:
    Zoomin through a biome in my seamoth, CLUNK THUNK BUMP SMASH

I just killed 30 fish with my windshield

Who needs guns?

Using a tool to kill doesn't make it a weapon :wink:

Using a tool to kill doesn't make it a weapon :wink:

By definition a weapon is anything used for inflicting damage.

A shovel is a weapon if you hit someone over the head with it.
    Apparently, in the future, people are dumb as hell and condem themselves to being torn apart by the unending armys of creatures with no goal other than to kill all living things that cross their paths. I am SO sick of this "no weapons" thing. The ONLY argument against them is "oh, the devs hate guns". All it is is the dev's bringing politics into the game. There is no logical story argument.

But you need to understand that we're not forcing an agenda or pushing politics into a place where it doesn't belong, because of course it belongs here. Every single creative work has a political component to its message, even if it's no more complex than "I am comfortable with the status quo and therefore have nothing I wish to say about it". We've chosen to make a game without lethal weapons because we are interested in exploring those ideas, and because some of us, myself included, weren't very keen on making another game focused on guns and combat.

It's not politically neutral to make a game where your primary mode of interacting with the world is through a weapon; even less so in the case of games like Call of Duty which are largely about solving geopolitical issues through the use of weapons. I'm not saying you can't like that or support that, but I am saying that it's disingenuous to suggest we're forcing politics into a politics-free zone. We're just taking a stance you happen to disagree with, possibly even questioning something you took for granted.

Oh my god I actually just read that wall of text.

*wipes an imaginary tear of laughter from eye*

"HEY EVERYONE! VIDEOGAMES ARE POLITICAL STATEMENTS NOW"

I am Barack "The Shock" Obama and I approve this message!