Pulling back the veil - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Scout255 wrote: »
    Aliens definitely need a buff early game.

the aliens just need their old hitboxes back. its not just a problem of the early game with skulks. there were never easier times to kill a fade or lerk then now. lifeforms die so often these days. i do not understand why there needed to be something done. i would rather take hitreg-errors than this marine-stompings.

back these days you needed SKILL to kill aliens and lifeforms. Now every rookie can shoot a lerk from the sky. marines are too easy to play now and aliens are nearly impossible whenn marines have at least 2 or 3 comp players
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »
    ~65% of games played are on rookie only servers.~80% of unique players quit NS2 in the first 20 hours of gameplay. It takes the average rookie 25 hours of gameplay to get out of rookie only servers. Think about that for a moment. ... ~65% of games are played by rookies, with 80% of those players playing quitting in the first 20 hours, before they are done with what the game considers rookies.

Rookies play on rookie only servers, where the oh so evil (sarcasm) veterans can't get to them. The skill gap is a big problem in NS2, but it is not the root cause of poor player retention. So what is?

Statistics man strikes again!

It's hard to say why, exactly, most people leave the game that early. Then again, how do these numbers compare to other games? Personally I own a lot of games I played for maybe 10 - 30 hours, then never picked them up again. It's not that I didn't like them particularly, it was just... meh. They didn't catch me, either. I think this is normal. Just because a game is great does not mean everyone who tries it will enjoy it. Actually only a minority will, probably.
    So, if 80% of players leave within the first 20 hours, what does that mean? Is it good? Is it bad? I honestly can't tell for lack of reference.
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    2cough wrote: »

Too complex of a game to make it easier to learn?! That is an awful excuse! Watch this:

Jesus i love this Video! :smiley:
    The music is awesome and i like the logo. Haha. Tutorials with some beats
  • KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    Create some drill instructor icons, give it to volunteers / sociable persons, put them ingame and have some icons floating above them when they talk using the instructor power.

7tgdn21w7t6v.jpg
    yh6yjiklnr5k.jpg

If they add the badge to the game do you promise to never post that picture again? My nightmares are bad enough thank you.
    2cough wrote: »
    Playtesters, [...] you guys should feel EMBARRASSED for the state you have brought the game to. None of you are able to put your own agendas or egos aside to take any sort of criticism constructively, consider what the overwhelming majority of the once existing player base was telling you guys. You all act like you can do no wrong, like you've got it all figured out, like YOUR ideas and answers for the game are the only ones worth a damn. You cannot even start to accuse ppl of wanting to stroke their own egos when that is essentially all you pts [...] do. Your ideas are best, there's no reasoning with the rest of the benighted community, so forget em - they just have to deal with it. Your way or the highway. It is total bs.

Hey now, not all playtesters are so self-assured like that. Some of us just don't care.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited July 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Instead you meddle with the balance under the impression that it will appeal to new players.
    I do personally think that it feels better, as a non new player, and have to assume that it also feels better as a new player.. since missing when you feel like you should be hitting is frustrating.

Are we talking about shooting between skulk legs, or delayed hitbox vs model?

If the former, then whatthehell, you should't be hitting the skulk if you shoot between its legs.
    If the latter, then whatthehell, you're enlarging the hitboxes to hide hitreg issues :D
    It's all about the feels. Sid Meier had to redesign Civilisation's combat because the math said that a soldier with 5 hitpoints can lose fairly regularly to one with only 3, but that's not satsfying, so he changed it so that the soldier with 5 hitpoints would win way more often than it technically should.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Nordic wrote: »
    ~65% of games played are on rookie only servers.~80% of unique players quit NS2 in the first 20 hours of gameplay. It takes the average rookie 25 hours of gameplay to get out of rookie only servers. Think about that for a moment. ... ~65% of games are played by rookies, with 80% of those players playing quitting in the first 20 hours, before they are done with what the game considers rookies.

Rookies play on rookie only servers, where the oh so evil (sarcasm) veterans can't get to them. The skill gap is a big problem in NS2, but it is not the root cause of poor player retention. So what is?

It's also likely that they simply get bored by then.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's hard to say why, exactly, most people leave the game that early. Then again, how do these numbers compare to other games?

This is not something that needs to be analyzed quantitatively. It honestly does not matter how this compares to other games. You can empirically look at the state of the game to determine if it is good. In June 2016 NS2 had an average concurrent player count of 243. Is that good?

As a community we want more players. 243 average is not enough. 1000 is not enough. NS2 had a supposed 1.6 million copies sold, yet we have had about 200 players daily since April 2015.

It does not matter how that compares to other games. We don't have the player numbers we want. ~65% of games are played by rookies, with 80% of those players playing quitting in the first 20 hours, before they are done with what the game considers rookies. The game is doing something wrong, and it happens in that first 20 hours. I don't know what it is, but that is what needs addressed to improve player retention.
    coolitic wrote: »
    It's also likely that they simply get bored by then.
    Why did they get bored? Why was NS2 not a compelling enough game for them to stick around? What is wrong with NS2 on the design level that does retain players.

If the devs are unable to address that, then whats the point?
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find the drive to make NS2 more appealing to the masses quixotic.. I loved NS2 but the game in its current state is not the game that I fell in love with. Even if there is some massive PR campaign in the works, I don't see how it could possibly bring in enough players to sustain it much longer. I am reminded of the handful of PC games getting "redux" versions for console release.. packaged and marketed as new and improved, but actually inferior to the original vision. Maybe it's time to leave it be and move on.
  • Don_Nasri_KaramDon_Nasri_Karam London Join Date: 2015-11-08 Member: 209103Members
    I really am baffled why you went through all the trouble to edit the hit-boxes when you could have just edited a few numbers; the amount of damage each weapon does, or how much health or armour the aliens have.

This has got to be the most laughable design decision ever.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Saltlick wrote: »
    I loved NS2 but the game in its current state is not the game that I fell in love with.

For me its same, but are the last changes the reason for that?
    From my point of view, no.

I believe the reason why it is different now is the change of playerbase.
    In the past i was distracting a marine as skulk with the knowledge "buy time, reinforcement is coming soon", now im doing this with the knowledge "noone will come" (in 90% of the cases)
    In the past people communicate, made good calls and group up for packplay. Today most of the skulks running around alone.

If all the changes are the reason for a bad gaming experience, just show the change that forces skulks to engage alone all the time.

And Ironhorse had some very good points in his post.
    There is a reason why playerbase is low after 1.6 million sold copys.
    You want more players then you have to adress the reason.
    And the simple truth is:
    NS2 is not a casual game, never was (cant count how often i said that before btw)
    So you want more players? Then you have to deal with an more casual friendly NS2. (aka dumbed down)
    But the same people who crying for F2P didnt want a dumbdown = You didnt fix the reason for low playerbase wich leads to an low playerbase F2P.

I have no problems with an low playerbase but i believe the current playerbase need some changes on alienside cause most of them failing hard here.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Yea that helps... but it's pretty much never going to happen. So next suggestion?

I know you're not the only dev and the team is not monolithic, but youre telling us, that instead of implementing a good feature (however labour intese that may be), you meddle with small stuff that completely throws off balance without any obvious appeal to new players?

Compare these two changelog messages from the viewpoint of a potential buyer:

a) We increased hitbox size for aliens, to _insert_dumb_reason_.
    - Meh, I dont know what it was like before

b) We added killcam, so you can learn from your mistakes.
    - OK, that seems nice

• WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Therius wrote: »
    At the moment, the devs are playing a huge gamble by alienating the existing players while trying to cater to an uncertain demographic. What happens when the first disappear while the latter never show up?

Better do something than let it die because the first group is going to disappear as it did before in NS1.

The resistance to change is incredibly high here.
    The resistance to unreasonable change... That's is a big difference imo
    And again, if there was any obvious improvement in player count, I think most of us would stfu and play on
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    This is a pretty long detour for marine learning curve and maybe too much work, but could the skulk movement and early game approach be changed somehow?

If you look at the differences between NS1 Veil and NS2 Veil, the NS1 version looks much more comprehensible for a marine player. Most of the attack routes are quite easy to recognize even on the first times playing the map, but mastering the use of the space in various situations is still a very interesting challenge even for an experienced player. Meanwhile the NS2 Veil is cluttered with all kinds of small ambush positions that make the whole map feel almost claustrophobic at times. As far as I can tell, this is partitially because NS2 early game skulks in open spaces are very much sitting ducks and they always require a wall to have access to most of their tools. This forces a specific kind of map design to allow skulks to operate early game.

While there's certain atmospheric appeal to the cluttered and claustrophobic map design, being limited to that makes NS2 map design a bit repetetive and hard to learn as a marine. Until you learn all the nooks and crannies of the map, you're in constant confusion about possible attack directions and all that. If the aliens had more tools to operate on open spaces, the map design would become less dependend on cluttered spaces and some areas could be made less stressful for inexperienced marines while still allowing skilled alien players to operate in them with comfort and decent set of options.

Of course the atmospheric cramped spaces could still be included in the maps, but they wouldn't be as much required as they are now.

@Bacillus I dont know... I kind of liked the stress right from the beginning as a marine :D

The only kind if alien ability that comes to my mind is ranged.... which would decrease asymmetry. It may not be that bad (especially for rookies)
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    At the moment, the devs are playing a huge gamble by alienating the existing players while trying to cater to an uncertain demographic. What happens when the first disappear while the latter never show up?

Better do something than let it die because the first group is going to disappear as it did before in NS1.

The resistance to change is incredibly high here.

This is an absolute non-reason for horrible changes. Think again.
    edited July 2016
    @Bacillus I dont know... I kind of liked the stress right from the beginning as a marine :D
    Yeah, the cramped spaces may be just NS2's thing and that's fine. I just felt like it's worth discussing if some of the stuff can be improved without sacrificing too much on other areas. I really want it to be clear that the present stuff doesn't have to go completely. It just wouldn't be as much present in each and every area of all the maps.
    The only kind if alien ability that comes to my mind is ranged.... which would decrease asymmetry. It may not be that bad (especially for rookies)

I don't think aliens really need more ranged abilities to conquer open space. It's more about having movement options that allow aliens to accelerate and move efficiently in open areas as much as possible. Better options to use the high ceiling areas are beneficial too. NS1 had a lot of speed preservation abilities for example.

It is also possible to give aliens more umbra-like abilities that reduce the marine range advantage momentarily, but that probably involves loads of redesign and possibly new ability implementation too.

I'm obviously an old NS1 fan and I absolutely love how fluently the aliens can operate there in all kinds of spaces. I'm not going to suggest something like bhop or NS1 blink should be implemented in NS2 (although I think the right implementations could have solved so, so many issues), but I think the differences need to be understood when you're looking at the skulk vs marine gameplay and its learning curve in NS2.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Anyway, let it go, lets lower the skill gap, try to get new people and offer them a way to feel thay can achieve something in less than 800 hours, then evolve again from there maybe.

Per definition, competition can happen around anything, beeing as "simple" as running 100 meters , running a F1 Grand Prix or qualify as the next Space Shuttle pilot.

NS2 has enough strategies and tactics room to makes some concessions.

@IronHorse mentionned Othello, which is a very simplified version of GO game

With friends, we tried to learn GO by the books, we failed, and we never had the oppotunity to meet GO players to learn.
    But we had many enjoyable games of Othello.
    @Wake but that's whole the point regarding the new hitboxes. It will not reduce the skill gap, top players as well as rookies land more hits now. It circumvents nothing and drops away a good, unique aspect of the game (hit what you actually point at)
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Bacillus wrote: »
    the NS2 Veil is cluttered with all kinds of small ambush positions that make the whole map feel almost claustrophobic at times.

You're not going to like some of the changes I've suggested for ns2_summit then...

Horrible from your or the new player view?

Looks like some still dont understand what Ironhorse wrote.
    After 4 years of mentor programs, nonstop teaching on the servers and better tutorials now some people still believe: Just make more and better tutorials, thats enough.
    No it is not.
    And to believe that people stop playing cause some healthbars introduced is a bit naive.

Im sure most players have stopped playing cause one simple reason:
    They got bored of the game.
    Some reach this state after 20hrs others after 2000h
    Per definition, competition can happen around anything, beeing as "simple" as running 100 meters , running a F1 Grand Prix or qualify as the next Space Shuttle pilot.

I noticed the parenthesis, but cmon, physical sports as simple? Those are like the most bloody complex challenges you can have as a human. Putting your legs after the other for 100 meters is just the tip of the iceberg. You need years of training, years of coaching, mental and physical fitness... your whole body and soul has to be in perfect harmony for that ~10 seconds. The rules may be simple, but not challenge itself
    edited July 2016
    dePARA wrote: »

Horrible from your or the new player view?

Looks like some still dont understand what Ironhorse wrote.
    After 4 years of mentor programs, nonstop teaching on the servers and better tutorials now some people still believe: Just make more and better tutorials, thats enough.
    No it is not.
    And to believe that people stop playing cause some healthbars introduced is a bit naive.

Im sure most players have stopped playing cause one simple reason:
    They got bored of the game.
    Some reach this state after 20hrs others after 2000h

Getting bored of the game is just part of the picture... There is a good reason why you have the current playerbase; the game attracts these kind of players. You cant expect to fiddle with CS a bit, and siphon a chunk of SC players.
    Now you can start shifting it to be more comprehensible from the start, but that would require huge changes (bigger than HP bars and hitboxes) and produce a completely different game. The logical route imo would be to LISTEN to the outrage about HP bars and hitboxes, drop it/fix them, and carry on with their other ideas. But I guess that's losing face in their view, so will never happen

EDIT:
    And as "they" I mean the whole dev team, from top to bottom. I have no insight who originated these ideas, it may be totally out of control of the PDT and come from higher up, so they have to carry out against their better jugdement
    edited July 2016
    Wob wrote: »
    the NS2 Veil is cluttered with all kinds of small ambush positions that make the whole map feel almost claustrophobic at times.

You're not going to like some of the changes I've suggested for ns2_summit then...

I'm not sure if I particularly even dislike it that much. It just makes the game quite a bit harder for a new player, which is kind of counterintuitive to what the whole thing is about.

If I was an active comp player, I'd probably have some strong opinions. Right now I'm more curious about whatever there's to learn about game design and all that stuff and also kind of worried people do not understand some of the underlying mechanics that make things work they way they do.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited July 2016
    This is a pretty long detour for marine learning curve and maybe too much work, but could the skulk movement and early game approach be changed somehow?

If you look at the differences between NS1 Veil and NS2 Veil, the NS1 version looks much more comprehensible for a marine player. Most of the attack routes are quite easy to recognize even on the first times playing the map, but mastering the use of the space in various situations is still a very interesting challenge even for an experienced player. Meanwhile the NS2 Veil is cluttered with all kinds of small ambush positions that make the whole map feel almost claustrophobic at times. As far as I can tell, this is partitially because NS2 early game skulks in open spaces are very much sitting ducks and they always require a wall to have access to most of their tools. This forces a specific kind of map design to allow skulks to operate early game.

Wow if NS2 skulks in open spaces are sitting ducks, then NS1 skulks were already dead. But then again, bunnyhopping. So kind of
    The logical route imo would be to LISTEN to the outrage about HP bars and hitboxes, drop it/fix them, and carry on with their other ideas. But I guess that's losing face in their view, so will never happen

Why is it logical to listen to people that want basicly b249 back or NS1 with better graphics?
    "carry on with their other ideas"
    And then they have to listen and have to remove the change again?
    You cannot please every1 you know.
    Maybe the devs listened for to long?