Your opinion about enlarged hitboxes

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2016
    When were the hitboxes changed?

From looking at the "new" alien hitboxes, they seem way too large. However, I do like the idea of enlarging hitboxes of body parts which undergo rapid wide motion, such as
    Marine legs, fade claws, and skulk feet.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Even in competitive it was too hard for alot of better teams to really learn how to play aliens, so they would just resort to pack play, and it sort of just became meta. But realistically what was intense about the game was the 2-2 splits and knowing that you're entering a room as marine to 2-3 skulks, not just 50/50 rush with whole team pack play.

In the 2-2 split meta you would see one side win and that would apply pressure to your other side to adjust accordingly. Which eventually became pack play crushing all over the place.

Point being I agree with @MoFo1 above on his point about cheesy alien victories making the game feel pointless and not rewarding win or lose.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited July 2016
    I've just begun to play matches with ATV, so I'm inexperienced... but in CS there were several comp maps that favoured one team over the other. de_train anyone?
    So even with comp play in mind, having 60-40 W:L ratio is fine. We do switch sides, right?

EDIT:
    But that spike in the graph.... this change is godawful. And I totally agree with @Bacillus that the aggregated stats can obscure serious flaws
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Rather just see buffed alien HP and speed than anything else.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    xDragon wrote: »
    In case people had forgotten, all bullet traces were already adjusted previously to be a 'box'. So you could miss the model by about 2mm with most guns by default (and others much more *railgun*). This has the same effect as increasing the hitbox of everything.

So anyone saying you missed by the tiniest of amounts is generally incorrect, the game already allowed some leniency.

but muh satisfaction
    Whenever people complain about hitreg I always just said "you weren't aiming at the center of your target"
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2016
    Frozen wrote: »
    Whenever people complain about hitreg I always just said "you weren't aiming at the center of your target"

This is true and I keep telling that to myself, too, when I'm missing.
    You could overcome allegedly bad hitreg by aiming at the center, but if the model is not properly covered by hitbox, then it kind of seems like an unfair noob trap.

bBgtZUf.jpg
    Ironhorses screenshot

Now, I don't know if what dragon said is enough to fix the issue completely, but when in doubt I'd definitely give the benefit to the shooter though.
    edited July 2016
    How many times do you see a skulk from the side at eye level? He would have to be jumping before you, tangential to your line of sight. That is a nuisance....
    And yeah, since we don't have headshots, aiming anywhere but the center of mass is bad gameplay, as @Frozen said.

Also, see the bulge at the head? The legs? What about those? I even see logic behind enlarging the torso hitbox, but why would they enlarge legs and scythes? They should be as large as the model at max. A good patch would've been to fix those, not blow up (almost) everything
    edited July 2016
    .trixX. wrote: »
    How many times do you see a skulk from the side at eye level? He would have to be jumping before you, tangential to your line of sight. That is a nuisance....
    All the time when the skulk circle jumps around you.
    And yeah, since we don't have headshots, aiming anywhere but the center of mass is bad gameplay, as @Frozen said.

Then there should be a hint that tells people to only shoot at the center, because there's no guarantee to hit, when you're aiming at its back.
    Also, see the bulge at the head? The legs? What about those? I even see logic behind enlarging the torso hitbox, but why would they enlarge legs and scythes? They should be as large as the model at max. A good patch would've been to fix those, not blow up (almost) everything

Dunno, maybe something with animations. In any case Remi said he'd review it.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Frozen wrote: »

This is true and I keep telling that to myself, too, when I'm missing.
    You could overcome allegedly bad hitreg by aiming at the center, but if the model is not properly covered by hitbox, then it kind of seems like an unfair noob trap.

bBgtZUf.jpg
    Ironhorses screenshot

Now, I don't know if what dragon said is enough is enough to fix the issue completely, but when in doubt I'd definitely give the benefit to the shooter though.

Fix the problems with that hitbox instead of screw up all of it?
    All the time when the skulk circle jumps around you.

Right, you got me thinking there. Good skulks change vertical velocity as much as horizontal...

Then there should be a hint that tells people to only shoot at the center, because there's no guarantee to hit, when you're aiming at its back.

Yes, there should be a tutorial explaining that there are no critical areas to hit. Every shot connected worths the same, head, torso, tip of the clawnail.

Dunno, maybe something with animations. In any case Remi said he'd review it.

Let us hope they really do that, like in the near future
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2016
    Every time I see that picture of the old skulk hitbox I think "really... you screwed up so much to fix like a quarter centimeter of the skulk that wasn't covered?

Then they call it a "QoL" change that wasn't supposed to affect balance.... really?
    bosnhgt23e8u.jpg
    Remi said he'd look at the fade scythes. It's important for two main reasons:

because the fade puts his arms up when blinking away, so theres no reason to increase chances of hitting a missed shot, that wasnt broken

because it increases the chances of meatshotting JUST the scythe, and that shouldn't happen. It's not dead space
  • HobbesonHobbeson New York Join Date: 2015-12-04 Member: 209723Members
    Wob wrote: »
    From what I understand it was made mostly as a QoL improvement and not related to a balance fix.

Reduce the model then.

Seriously. If you didn't want any balance to change, reduce the model to "better" suit the hitbox. It would have a substantially less effect on balance. The only thing would change is that people might find it harder to perceive a smaller target, but aiming itself would actually be the same.

QoL fixed with negligible balance change.

So I call the devs liars and bar stewards.

Something along these lines makes the most sense. If the intention wasn't to change balance, then given that this very obviously *did* change balance (despite what that chart may seem to show), make some compensating change buffing alien survivability. Revert to old hitbox with better fitting models, or perhaps buff effective hp to adjust for the increased number of bullets landing. (Both would reduce instances of bullets *seeming* to hit while failing to actually register; the latter may be more enjoyable for new players.) Alternatively, if you did intend to change balance, then let's hear the rationale.

I eagerly await my lerk hp buff.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    You know I thought a bit how to narrow this down even more clear and came up with a analogy.

Lets say you have a big beautiful red tapestry. Light red, dark red etc.. Its beyond superb and enthusiasts come from far and wide.
    But a hole snuck in. Obviously this is a issue. It can spread, doing more damage and needs fixing.
    So you take a yellow wire and fix the hole.

Now your problem is solved. The hole is fixed.
    You notice the colours match well and decide to start planning out a multi-month plan to make yellow illustrations on said tapestry.
    But right NOW you have a red tapestry, with a botched up hole fix. Right now, its ruined.
    Enthusiasts coming to see the marvel of its creation now scream and wonder why this blasphemy has been performed.

I do not mind that much that the devs want that yellow illustration.
    But can we rip out the yellow and put in some red until the whole picture is like done?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    If such a small portion of the skulks hitbox was not that accurate, why not just adjust that small portion to fix it?

This was obviously not the intended purpose of this change, otherwise the size increase of the hitbox would have been smaller or they could of done what I just said.

But like I said before, I find it very hard to ascertain their motivations.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    When I first tried NS2 in alpha days, I told a friend the skulk design was ridiculous because skulks seemed more like bulky dogs than the small and agile base lifeform they were meant to be. I got used to it over time, and skulk movement got a bit more fluid and slick, but my point still stands to a certain extent.

I like the idea of shrinking the skulk model but keeping the new hitbox. Proportionally, that is.
    edited July 2016
    I went through different skulk positions in the viewer, took some screenshots and marked the parts I consider either too small in the old version or too big in the new version. I've tried to position the camera so that these parts are seen at their worst, while still being in a realistic shooting angle.

old hitbox
    h6ox89bs92sn.jpg
    z1y6a4ia7vzg.jpg
    mtbx691d0bp6.jpg
    Not sure if you could actually miss when you shoot right there in the center.
    qen1016mcx4d.jpg
    i5qpx4xquvf9.jpg
    512d0jv6bals.jpg
    f4yxa8sq8w08.jpg
    8g0dr1hnbxw6.jpg
    tz2bdb1pq9fp.jpg
    7e9azqiaaafv.jpg

new hitbox
    The head needs a few more knots around the eyes. The mouth is too much.
    mzgivw7ic4io.jpg
    I'd say that the legs were generally better in the old version. They already were a bit giving in the old.
    8314v0hg9bnw.jpg
    back is too much
    bwh6w5z4b50f.jpg
    f9uaz4n4fzgk.jpg

Even if the tracer does have a 2 mm tollerance, some areas would still be be unjustly more forgiving than others.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I just think it's absolutely hilarious that the devs a)
    xDragon wrote: »
    In case people had forgotten, all bullet traces were already adjusted previously to be a 'box'. So you could miss the model by about 2mm with most guns by default (and others much more *railgun*). This has the same effect as increasing the hitbox of everything.

So basically now NS2 is the NS2:Turbo mod, but without Onocide. You know what must be done (add Onocide)
    @Bicsum yeah, we got it... but blowing up the boxes significantly instead of fixing the missing spots still makes no sense to a lot of us =/
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    @Bicsum yeah, we got it... but blowing up the boxes significantly instead of fixing the missing spots still makes no sense to a lot of us =/

Easier and faster to achieve?

Could you please read my post entirely?!
    edited July 2016
    Pelargir wrote: »

Easier and faster to achieve?

Achieve what? Stomping? Skill ceiling? Or total boredom due to lack of further capacity to improve?
    You guys make no sense at all, use us as beta testers after we've payed a fair amount for the game, and ignore every feedback that does not align with your preconceptions.
    Pure madness. There should be an "Echo Chamber" hanging on the doors of UWE

@Bicsum I have...

EDIT: grammar
    Then you'd have seen that I've also shown the areas that seem too big in new the hitbox, so why do you answer with a "..but, they're too large"?