What should be done about the health bar?

Comments

• NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    @IronHorse The chat log was posted by McGlaspie on this Bug Reports card, which was in turn linked here. :)
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Another thing that could improve ease of tracking is a new non-FXaa antialiasing currently over long range it's really a mess of pixels and if you use Fxaa it the same with a blur..
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This thread still going? Nothing is going to be done about the healthbar, Devs have made their mind about that one already.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    This thread still going? Nothing is going to be done about the healthbar, Devs have made their mind about that one already.

That's the worst part.. Overwhelmingly negative community feedback, with multiple ideas to improve them and address the complaints...

Devs just say "sorry we think they're good"

I say we never let this thread die..

DOWN WITH HEALTHBARS!! *shakes fist*
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »

That's the worst part.. Overwhelmingly negative community feedback, with multiple ideas to improve them and address the complaints...

Devs just say "sorry we think they're good"

I say we never let this thread die..

DOWN WITH HEALTHBARS!! *shakes fist*

I think the route to go should be to use no health bar mods on all servers.
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow

Hellrunner did this mod 2 months ago.

If this is really important to you guys then:
    1. Ask your server ops to install the mod
    2. These servers will become unranked. Keep seeding them and playing only on servers without health bars.
    3. End of drama

Yes this forum community has spoken loudly and clearly in this thread. But now it is Your responsibility as players to send that same message ingame.

If HealthBars being removed is so damn important to this community, after 2+ months of saying "remove healthbars or let them only on Rookie servers", start saying to your server ops "I will only play in servers without healthbars"

If Healthbars are such a problem, at this point stop trying to convince UWE and start convincing your server ops. If you are not, this can only mean one of two things to me:
    • it is not that really important to you. Because you wouldn't play in a server without NS2+ for example. And yet you are playing in servers with healthbars
    • it is more important to you to be in a ranked server than having good gameplay
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Blrg wrote: »

2. These servers will become unranked. Keep seeding them and playing only on servers without health bars.
    3. End of drama

Yes this forum community has spoken loudly and clearly in this thread. But now it is Your responsibility as players to send that same message ingame.

If HealthBars being removed is so damn important to this community, after 2+ months of saying "remove healthbars or let them only on Rookie servers", start saying to your server ops "I will only play in servers without healthbars"

If Healthbars are such a problem, at this point stop trying to convince UWE and start convincing your server ops. If you are not, this can only mean one of two things to me:
    • it is not that really important to you. Because you wouldn't play in a server without NS2+ for example. And yet you are playing in servers with healthbars
    • it is more important to you to be in a ranked server than having good gameplay

I know, I always play on Hellrunners servers if a slot is free. I don't think any player cares about whitelisting.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

3. End of drama

I know, I always play on Hellrunners servers if a slot is free. I don't think any player cares about whitelisting.

Well maybe shuffle would work better and we could complain less if more players cared about whitelisting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. End of drama

Well maybe shuffle would work better and we could complain less if more players cared about whitelisting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For that to happen UWE must 1.) rethink whitelisting policy and 2.) make vanilla gameplay better. Both is not going to happen.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    White listing policy has been a joke. Servers that are unranked should shuffle with kdr or something instead of hive. This is already a setting in shine. The sad part is, it still won't help team balance.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

3. End of drama

tldr, it's our responsibility to unfuck their fuck ups. Shame on us for not doing anything productive, right?
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    @F0rdPrefect HP bars are not abyss skulk skin that you can like or dislike. It's a game mechanic that intruduced problems, while rendered some tactics obsolete. Its not a question of taste, since you can compile a heavy list why its bad. I've supplied some of those items in this thread, while others did the most here and elsewhere.
    You may "like" it and percieve it as subjective, but that only shows you haven't really thought this through...
    But reasoning with a believer is wasted breath, ta-ta!
  • BlrgBlrg Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187580Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »
    tldr, it's our responsibility to unfuck their **** ups. Shame on us for not doing anything productive, right?

Well you are clearly not achieving anything right now.
    Meanwhile, I spent these 2+ months having a blast playing in Hellarious servers.

I am just saying that if removing healthbars were so much important for our community, then all the other servers would have removed them already. And if all veterans would only play in servers without healthbars... well that would send a much clear message than having the same guys complaining here all the time.

But sure, keep being angry and repeating the same arguments over and over again while playing in servers with healthbars.
    I prefer to go to play NS2 and have fun instead.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm done with this game anyway, I don't really care. Just found it funny how it's considered the responsibility of the community to keep modding this game into a playable state when the devs could just actually listen for once.
    @Blrg that would be a perfect argument, except mods removing HP bars are deemed unrankable, so you dont get/lose ELO points on such servers.
    I don't really care (and I guess neither do you), but most players do.
    .trixX. wrote: »
    @Blrg that would be a perfect argument, except mods removing HP bars are deemed unrankable, so you dont get/lose ELO points on such servers.
    I don't really care (and I guess neither do you), but most players do.

as I said, that means that having or not healthbars is not as important to them
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    It's like always seeing the enemy on the minimap in Battlefield, Counstrike, LoL and any other FPS or RTS. It makes the game easier and fun(kind of), but almost game breaking. Most of us want easier and fun, but those game's community would riot if that happened.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    .trixX. wrote: »
    @F0rdPrefect HP bars are not abyss skulk skin that you can like or dislike. It's a game mechanic that intruduced problems, while rendered some tactics obsolete. Its not a question of taste, since you can compile a heavy list why its bad. I've supplied some of those items in this thread, while others did the most here and elsewhere.
    You may "like" it and percieve it as subjective, but that only shows you haven't really thought this through...
    But reasoning with a believer is wasted breath, ta-ta!

I am in no way a believer.

The thing is: It's a game mechanic that introduced changes, while rendering some tactics obsolete. There are pros and cons to it. However, how you evaluate these (in your case as negative) is subjective, and that's what I'm talking about.
  • fleasfleas Join Date: 2007-10-13 Member: 62623Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016

3. End of drama

Even though it's pointless at this point since everything is dead(community I play in) but I think some people would like to know:

Let me give you my experience with this mod. It's great. If I had convince the server op earlier before everyone raged about health bars and stop playing, that would've actually saved my community(we had ~3 servers(2 pub/1 comp) to play on, we even have 2 reserves that will go on if the others have problem). Right now we are struggling to populate on 1 server(most of the time it's empty unless someone spams invite to game or seeds). So that's how bad the situation is.

Whitelisting became important when everyone in my community decided to rage quit due to the update(not sure if it's health bars, to be fair). This is because the rookies need to clear their rookie status and I don't think its fun to have constant rookie when you play(comming will be an issue). I reckon since they started with 0 hive points, they do need to get some hive points or there's gonna be problem with forced random. There's only 1 server in Aus currently since the update so yea.

So devs(if you are reading), in summary(in my POV), Updates(such as health bars...increased p.res....etc) made those long time players leave. But(according to devs), there's more rookies coming in. But who is gonna play in an empty server or in a populated server(not local) with 200-300 ping only to get raged at with these following:

-you are hacking. killed me around/through the wall
    -100m bites/swipes/gore
    -you are so laggy
    -why can't you play in you own local server
    there are more but in different variations

If these are not enough for your new players, they also experience viceversa. Their lifeform gets killed behind walls. and probably go (wtf is wrong with this game? it's broken...etc) when actual fact it's just the ping.

• KeatsKeats United States Join Date: 2014-11-04 Member: 199413Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nordic wrote: »
    White listing policy has been a joke. Servers that are unranked should shuffle with kdr or something instead of hive. This is already a setting in shine
    Keats wrote: »
    migalski wrote: »
    So when will we see a real white list policy, buffs to gorge's move ability, buffs on the marine side late game, ya know the things we've been talking about for nearly 10 patches now?

According to their trello they've had a public whitelist policy since June 3rd. I too am waiting to see it.

Maybe if I keep posting this, someone from UWE will show us the policy.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Keats wrote: »
    Maybe if I keep posting this, someone from UWE will show us the policy.
    It is not so much that there is a public policy, and I am not sure there is, but that I am not sure they follow it. If they do follow it, then I question whether or not the white list policy is of any use.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Did someone also mention that thanks to the HP knowledge it's easy to single out living eggs from spawning eggs.. makes spawncamping really lucrative.. because I can instantly find evolving lifeforms

and attacks are successful since I'll never loose track of the lower lifeform e.g. two gorges.. quite the big disadvantage for those plushies
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Handschuh wrote: »
    Did someone also mention that thanks to the HP knowledge it's easy to single out living eggs from spawning eggs.. makes spawncamping really lucrative.. because I can instantly find evolving lifeforms

And most casual/rookie players will never be able to do that.. Either because they won't know enough to, or because they won't be skilled enough to kill their way into the hive.

Just another example of how the hp bars only made it easier for skilled players to stomp casuals/rookies.. Throw in the hitbox change on top of that and... yeah.

• clowningclowning Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22956Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey devs - can we please finally agree that this awful experiment that nobody asked for has failed and it's finally time to remove the health bars before you officially and ungracefully put NS2 out to pasture?
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    could do with being ejaculated out of the game
    Ranking is important
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Handschuh wrote: »

And most casual/rookie players will never be able to do that.. Either because they won't know enough to, or because they won't be skilled enough to kill their way into the hive.

Just another example of how the hp bars only made it easier for skilled players to stomp casuals/rookies.. Throw in the hitbox change on top of that and... yeah.

Well, with the increased hitbox sizes, the theres a chance even for rookies to spawncamp :D
    HP bars + bigger hitbox... aaaaand for the aliens: faster resflow. Im dying to know how that made sense to the devs
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2016
    i was pretty incensed when i saw you guys had messed up the balance yet again and started doing things like adding healthbars, but with hitbox size increases its just like i have no motivation to involve myself with this game. i see its clear the new devs are intent on taking this game away from us by force.

This also means im never going to take an interest in a UWE game again unless key people responsible get shitcanned, why would i buy a game when i know when the b-team comes in 5 years down the line they will pull out the rug out from under us and ignore the community completely.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Leave it to us how WE design OUR games" I think we need an obrexit and a VERY tight leash for remi ^^ where did I hear this before .....Had nothing to say before and now gets unlimited power that corrupts him. Aaaah... i know