What should be done about the health bar?

NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
edited May 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
I'd like to see how much support there is for this change.

Discuss the health bar here. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/141990/health-bars-on-enemies/p1

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I voted wrong. I meant to vote "Keep it, but tweak it.", because there's always more improvements that can be made to any feature.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    @Neoken feel free to link to this in the other thread, btw
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Biased poll, 1 opposing option and 2.5 supporting options which is split to make the opposing one look more prominent. :tongue:
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Well, I could add "Remove it, but remove it." if you prefer? :p
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I could do with a "Remove it, but I'll live" option
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Keep it, but make it so that it doesn't appear over the player in question - crosshair or HUD has been suggested.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited May 2016
    I chose remove it because in it's current form it offers an insane amount of tracking assistance...

Just keep your crosshair below the red bar and it's hard to miss.

If they could just remove the tracking assist part of it I could learn to live with the health bar (though it does make me an extremely passive Lerk/Fade/Onos compared to before)
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2016
    Keep but tweak is imo the best way to go. Personally I would rather see just a % of their health instead of bars and numbers. and I'd be happy for it to be anchored to the top/bottom of the screen, having the information it provides is great. having it be optional is even better, having it removed feel like a waste to me.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited May 2016
    I voted to remove it, but I'd be okay with keeping it if the implementation was different. I think the current system suffers from many problems. It makes tracking easier when it shouldn't (e.g., chaotic engagements, in and around structure nests or hive locations), and it makes seeing isolating targets more challenging in certain circumstances (e.g., when a group of enemies rush together in a narrow location).

If kept, I think the health information shouldn't last much longer than damage numbers currently do. We should only receive a continuous stream of health information about a target if we're repeatedly landing hits before the expiry timer completes. The health information should cease if a target leaves our field of view, and the expiry timer should be short otherwise. If you need to establish different expiry timers for aliens vs. marines due to the way they play, that's fair. An example would be increasing the time before the information disappears for melee hits (because the smallest possible interval between successful melee hits is much larger than the smallest possible interval between non-melee hits). You've done this in the recent patch, but I think 5 seconds is way too long.

To prevent the other problems, the information should be tied to player models (possibly through a colored overlay on top of the models themselves) or kept in a different spot on the hud (like a meter or simple "Target: 100%" readout somewhere else on the screen).

It would still change the gameplay re: alien bluffing and low-health engagements, but the effect would be less dramatic.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Biased poll, 1 opposing option and 2.5 supporting options which is split to make the opposing one look more prominent. :tongue:

Wont matter when "remove it" ends up with 5x the votes of the highest "keep it" option.
    sotanaht wrote: »

Wont matter when "remove it" ends up with 5x the votes of the highest "keep it" option.

This may be true, but it's still good to be able to recognize if a poll has some potential bias, regardless of the direction it swings.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited May 2016
    I don't care. I play NS2 for fun at this point and the pub games have been the same as ever for me.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    remi wrote: »

This may be true, but it's still good to be able to recognize if a poll has some potential bias, regardless of the direction it swings.

Is that bias strong enough that adding together both "keep it" options and comparing the result against "remove it" won't give a fair representation of the general opinion? The question here is will significantly more people vote for the option because it is split.

"Don't care" is a throwaway that goes for both sides btw. Usually you ignore it entirely unless it turns out that a majority of people really don't care.
    edited May 2016
    Is that bias strong enough that adding together both "keep it" options and comparing the result against "remove it" won't give a fair representation of the general opinion? The question here is will significantly more people vote for the option because it is split.

Yeah, I don't know if significantly more people will vote for the option because it is split, or if the inverse is true. The poll may not give a fair representation, but it's hard to say. I bet we could find studies on how poll question formulation biases results, to better inform ourselves on how they may impact the results, if we really were interested in the psychology behind polling. :)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

Is that bias strong enough that adding together both "keep it" options and comparing the result against "remove it" won't give a fair representation of the general opinion?

I wouldn't really call this fair representation, If you wanted a more fair representation of the general opinion then it would have to be surveyed in-game where new players and casual players are more likely to respond.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Content removed. PM sent.
    edited May 2016

Is that bias strong enough that adding together both "keep it" options and comparing the result against "remove it" won't give a fair representation of the general opinion?

I wouldn't really call this fair representation, If you wanted a more fair representation of the general opinion then it would have to be surveyed in-game where new players and casual players are more likely to respond.
    Yes, I agree with this as well... although no matter what polls always do have bias. It's just about recognizing what form it takes and weighing the results accordingly.

Even if it was in-game, you'd be likely to get more negative bias to it because people who take issue with it are the most likely to respond to the poll, and newer/casual players may not even notice the difference or understand what the poll is asking. For in-game I think you would really need 3 options and one hidden option. "I like it" "I don't like it" "No opinion", and "Refused to answer" (which would be selected by default and recorded if they never chose any of the other options).

There's also ways to look at it more abstractly, to try to get a better read on something like this. I think that is part of what Overwatch does with the "rate this game" functionality. By not asking about a specific feature or change, they are able to get a consistent read on if changes make a huge difference to the general experience or not.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wob wrote: »
    Content removed. PM sent.

I do see why this post was modded, but I think it's getting a little out of hand recently.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2016

Yeah, I don't know. It may not. I bet we could find studies on this type of question, if we really were interested in the answer. :)

This message is worrying me. Would you kindly clarify your attitude to player beliefs and feedback @remi?

I am concerned that you are not interested in feedback for this feature and intend for it to stay regardless of the community attitude towards it. Given the community backlash in response to the debacle over mods, I am concerned that one could draw parallels to this scenario such as the issues with communication (or lack of).
    if we really were interested in the answer. :)

This message is worrying me. Would you kindly clarify your attitude to player beliefs and feedback?

I am concerned that you are not interested in feedback for this feature and intend for it to stay regardless of the community attitude towards it. Given the community backlash in response to the debacle over mods, I am concerned that one could draw parallels to this scenario such as the issues with communication (or lack of).

I'm pretty sure that response was to the second question and not the first one. As in, "The question here is will significantly more people vote for the option because it is split."
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I find it offputting in field. I dont like it. I would love to be able to disable it.

As a commander however, these new bars are a send from whatever god(s) you believe in.
    You are actually able to instruct your team much more efficient which marine or lifeform to kill. Its awesome. I want it, and I see it as balanced as both comms have this.

So personally, I would LOVE for a toggle of each. So disabling it for in field does not disable for comm and vice versa.
    edited May 2016
    if we really were interested in the answer. :)

This message is worrying me. Would you kindly clarify your attitude to player beliefs and feedback?

I'm pretty sure that response was to the second question and not the first one. As in, "The question here is will significantly more people vote for the option because it is split."

Correct. I was discussing the subject of bias in polls, and how the question formation may impact how people vote.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I find it offputting in field. I dont like it. I would love to be able to disable it.

As a commander however, these new bars are a send from whatever god(s) you believe in.
    You are actually able to instruct your team much more efficient which marine or lifeform to kill. Its awesome. I want it, and I see it as balanced as both comms have this.

So personally, I would LOVE for a toggle of each. So disabling it for in field does not disable for comm and vice versa.
    Since it's presenting information that was already available to commanders, it's hard to see a problem with commanders having that info more easily available than trying to keep clicking the guy
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Imo it should be tweaked so that it tells you the amount hp the lifeform/marine should have but not the amount its actually at.

Ex. Fade flies in with 250 hp, for the marine shooting at it it shows up at full hp with armor to show how much hp a fade has.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2016
    @remi

My first thought was to limit it to two options "keep" and "remove", but I'm pretty sure if I did that I'd get remarks on how there should be a third option like the one I ended up providing. Because if you say you like the idea of a certain feature, but that it needs more work, than that's still quite significantly different than plainly saying you like a feature. That's valuable information. And in the end, you can just tally up the results of the first two options anyway if you'd like.

You could argument that the question being posed is biased though, since it implies something needs to be done. But then again, making the poll in the first place already implies the same thing anyway, as people don't make polls about stuff that is universally agreed upon.

I do appreciate you all for giving the poll this serious thought at least. :)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    remove it until it until it's not such a huge buff.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    imo removal of something like this should be the last choice... it is important that people get this information, it should be tweaked and if after a few reiterations it still doesn't work then remove it... but at the moment people are asking for something that is still in very early stages to be removed... imagine if the biomass system was offered up to the community before it was ready, how would people have reacted to that?

Does the current incarnation of healthbars create problems? the feedback seems to state yes... so fix the concerns.. if it still causes concern, figure out what and try fixing... if at any point something crops up that is fundamentally an issue with no easy fix (like atmospheric lighting did, no easy fix, take it down) then removing it should definitely be considered.

All I see so far is people finding a flaw in the idea and saying the whole idea should be scrapped.
    edited May 2016
    One can tweak how it looks on your screen, when it pops up, the duration for which it is displayed, whether or not you can disable it, stuff like that, just as they have done now in the latest patch. But you just can't tweak the fact that it provides vital information which fundamentally affects how engagements are played out. This aspect of the HP bars feature, you either accept or reject, there's no middle ground (if there is one, I'd be happy to hear it). And for me, it is the main reason I'm taking a stance against it.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    Neoken wrote: »
    One can tweak how it looks on your screen, when it pops up, the duration for which it is displayed, whether or not you can disable it, stuff like that, just as they have done now in the latest patch. But you just can't tweak the fact that it provides vital information which fundamentally affects how engagements are played out. This aspect of the HP bars feature, you either accept or reject, there's no middle ground (if there is one, I'd be happy to hear it). And for me, it is the main reason I'm taking a stance against it.

But it's only displaying that vital info about the thing you're shooting once you've already started shooting it, it's not like you can see their health bar next to their icon on your minimap, so it shouldn't affect the way things go too much imo.

What I don't like is how not lore-friendly it is for aliens, while for marines it could be part of their helmet hud I guess, for aliens it's literally saying, hello it's a video game, very immersion breaking, either give alien health bar a very different styling (maybe a circle ?) or be completely removed for aliens.