First Subnautica XB1 patch in testing

Comments

• woopswoops Join Date: 2016-06-01 Member: 217920Members
    1RoMo1 wrote: »
    Well. on the bright side, there is NO shortage of survival/sandbox games on XBOX. We've got ARK, Subnautica (whenever it actually gets fixed) and as of last night, 7 Days to Die. All very similar games.

The Long Dark received an update this week, too.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    edited June 2016
    1RoMo1 wrote: »
    Well. on the bright side, there is NO shortage of survival/sandbox games on XBOX. We've got ARK, Subnautica (whenever it actually gets fixed) and as of last night, 7 Days to Die. All very similar games.

Isn't there Stranded Deep as well? Or is it not on xbox?
    Stranded Deep isn't available on Xbox as far as I know.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • buffalobills113buffalobills113 usa Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217809Members
    Oh failing the cert does explain the taking forever part. You guys could try updating twitter more often. I'm playing 7 days to die on Xbox one now so when I get bored of that, ill see if this game has any updates. Hope it passes, look forward to all the cool stuff.
    The patch didn't fail cert.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    On a completely off-topic side note, I've always found the title "7 Days to Die" rather odd... It sounds like a game where you're trying to off yourself as quickly as you can, yet you still take 7 days to make it so :D
  • Yargish89Yargish89 new mexico usa Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217575Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    On a completely off-topic side note, I've always found the title "7 Days to Die" rather odd... It sounds like a game where you're trying to off yourself as quickly as you can, yet you still take 7 days to make it so :D

what i seen of the game its a zombie game where you get to truly build your own base and survive make your own weapons so on and its more detailed then any of the big game company's zombie games (waiting for payday to get it) you can find it on steam though
  • joni65joni65 Kansas Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218763Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    LoL - Damn it, why can't I die?! Oh the humanity!
  • nettonetto canada Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217126Members
    Flayra wrote: »
    Dang, we have some major issues with all this new content. We really need to fix them before we release it. We broke something with performance and the feedback widget doesn't work - those are the showstoppers.

So we're back to fixing those things and will then submit another build to CERT.

Ahhh oh well performance for me is the most important but i was really hoping to let go of an other game preview i play called The Division, this last expansion just broke more stuff that was not even fixed yet and the rewarding system from the underground is crap , i remember the days when i bought games and everything was in the box and would run well for ever,nothing to buy more you paid for a complete game, now every game that releases is based on content added over a period of a year or more , now you just pay before what is promised without any consequences for developers if the buyer is not happy on was what promised , and if the game is broken well you just have to live with it and i am kinda getting tired of this no refund policy as a gamer yet it just seems to be getting worst the more we move forward , games are now priced a 129.00$ CA. if you really want the whole experience meh anyways i'm off topic and just venting lol .....
  • BlindGuardianBlindGuardian Canada Join Date: 2016-05-27 Member: 217604Members
    Take your time, the game is such a cool concept and there are workarounds with the Dev Command menu to get the blueprints to work. Other than that I'd rather have this game with a rough framerate and pop in than not have it at all. I love it, can't wait for more!
  • kenticwolfpackkenticwolfpack Texas Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218225Members
    netto wrote: »
    Flayra wrote: »
    Dang, we have some major issues with all this new content. We really need to fix them before we release it. We broke something with performance and the feedback widget doesn't work - those are the showstoppers.

So we're back to fixing those things and will then submit another build to CERT.

Ahhh oh well performance for me is the most important but i was really hoping to let go of an other game preview i play called The Division, this last expansion just broke more stuff that was not even fixed yet and the rewarding system from the underground is crap , i remember the days when i bought games and everything was in the box and would run well for ever,nothing to buy more you paid for a complete game, now every game that releases is based on content added over a period of a year or more , now you just pay before what is promised without any consequences for developers if the buyer is not happy on was what promised , and if the game is broken well you just have to live with it and i am kinda getting tired of this no refund policy as a gamer yet it just seems to be getting worst the more we move forward , games are now priced a 129.00$ CA. if you really want the whole experience meh anyways i'm off topic and just venting lol .....

If you are paying that you are missing that you can buy it as an digital copy on Xbox store for 60 or even steam don't buy in store if it's so expensive
  • 1RoMo11RoMo1 USA Join Date: 2016-06-10 Member: 218356Members
    To me It seems Subnautica was released a little too early on XBOX. That combined with the developers inexperience with consoles caused Subnautica's slow start out of the gate.(just my opinion BTW) I'm sure they will get a handle on it sooner or later and we will have another great game to occupy our time.
    Subnautica is a great great concept for a game, and what there is of it, is lots of fun.
  • GabrielBCGabrielBC anh? Join Date: 2016-04-30 Member: 216170Members
    I'm just imagining this game when it's finished... Maybe 2x better than ARK.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    woops wrote: »

It didn't fail cert, but it failed our own high standards. We wont put out a patch unless we think it's ready ourselves.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

It didn't fail cert, but it failed our own high standards. We wont put out a patch unless we think it's ready ourselves.

Glad to see a dev studio with this mindset instead of the usual "fix it later" attitude a lot of devs have these days.

Again, really not trying to be a jerk, but I'm curious as to how/why the patch ended up at MS for cert if it wasn't ready yet. I thought your approach was to test the crap out of the patch before sending it off to MS, so it wouldn't need to be double-dipped in cert?
  • coldsteelleggcoldsteellegg U.K. Join Date: 2016-05-23 Member: 217374Members
    tbh taken time and needs to be worked on and why has it failed cuz there was something you guys did see that you want to change it passed send it to us if we see the f up we will report it thats what this page is right giving you feed back as of right now theres no feed to you other then when you guys letting us have it just send it
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

Again, really not trying to be a jerk, but I'm curious as to how/why the patch ended up at MS for cert if it wasn't ready yet. I thought your approach was to test the crap out of the patch before sending it off to MS, so it wouldn't need to be double-dipped in cert?

Sometimes you can test something to the nth degree, only to miss something or have issues which happen after testing. For instance during the actual building process of the patch or something which should never have broke due to never being touched, breaking. Making games is not a simple thing unfortunately, sometimes things happen and they just need to be either held back or dealt with.
    edited July 2016
    Sometimes you can test something to the nth degree, only to miss something or have issues which happen after testing. For instance during the actual building process of the patch or something which should never have broke due to never being touched, breaking. Making games is not a simple thing unfortunately, sometimes things happen and they just need to be either held back or dealt with.

You mean it's like, more complicated than hitting "File -> Save As..." in AwesomeGameBuildingSoftware.exe? :p

Appreciate the response.
  • mechtrix11mechtrix11 United States Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219603Members
    Devs, just wandering if you sent the xbox update back to cert testing or just how close it is to being fixed. Just an approximation on progress would be nice if you wouldn't mind.
  • xxxL3gitRushxxxxxxL3gitRushxxx United States Join Date: 2016-07-05 Member: 219606Members
    edited July 2016
    mechtrix11 wrote: »
    Devs, just wandering if you sent the xbox update back to cert testing or just how close it is to being fixed. Just an approximation on progress would be nice if you wouldn't mind.

All from what we know is that Charlie (Flayra) had tweeted on July 1st saying that he is testing out a new build for Subnautica as we speak, but nothing has came back up regarding the build, so im guessing things are going well. Lets just hope this will be the last one.
  • HisUglyMamaHisUglyMama Germany Join Date: 2016-06-25 Member: 219075Members
    New "update" from the SubnauticaXbox twitter account this morning regarding the patch:

ahhh that must be like heroin addicted feel like when the dealer is late and unreachable by phone, finding another syringe within a small shot under the couch.

Still seems like to me that they prefer pc and dont want to touch xbox probably poor time management mostly focused on pc but thats just what i have of a opinion based on what ive seen so far out of them
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    Still seems like to me that they prefer pc and dont want to touch xbox probably poor time management mostly focused on pc but thats just what i have of a opinion based on what ive seen so far out of them
    This is untrue. We have merged both versions together so that there will be virtually no difference between the updates going forward. However the merge created various problems that have taken a lot of time to resolve, both to the Xbox and the PC versions, much more then expected, resulting in a longer delay for the Xbox update then we'd planned.

The other main difference between the Xbox and PC versions is the release process. On PC it is very easy for us to just release a build onto Steam, whenever we choose. For the Xbox we need to book a certification appointment time slot, which can be up to a week or more out, then it goes through certification testing, which can last days or even up to a week. Meanwhile, the build gets encrypted as part of that process, making it actually difficult for us to go back and re test a build that was sent off for certification. In short, what can be a matter of a day on steam -- to upload an experimental version on Steam for testing, fix problems that show up, re upload a new build and re test, then upload the final stable version to Steam if everything checks out -- can take weeks to do the same thing on Xbox.
    i understand that but you guys spend months for it while releasing and still doing pc updates and being so little worded about the update for xbox this whole time so you can understand how i came to that conclusion my apologies about coming off as a ass (i'm a natural but i try to be nice) and thank you for your time mr. dev squeal
  • Rooks_NemesisRooks_Nemesis Ontario Join Date: 2016-06-11 Member: 218388Members
    Regardless of how long this has taken, this is grand news indeed! Cant "flipping" wait lol
  • Rustled_JimmyRustled_Jimmy USA Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216920Members
    Not trying to be "that guy" but this game is going to be forgotten by a lot of people of you don't get your ass squared away soon. Lotta good games coming down the pipeline, and as is,this is just taking up space on my hard drive, nothing more.
  • Rustled_JimmyRustled_Jimmy USA Join Date: 2016-05-18 Member: 216920Members
    Yargish89 wrote: »
    For the Xbox we need to book a certification appointment time slot, which can be up to a week or more out, then it goes through certification testing, which can last days or even up to a week. Meanwhile, the build gets encrypted as part of that process, making it actually difficult for us to go back and re test a build that was sent off for certification. In short, what can be a matter of a day on steam -- to upload an experimental version on Steam for testing, fix problems that show up, re upload a new build and re test, then upload the final stable version to Steam if everything checks out -- can take weeks to do the same thing on Xbox.

Honestly, this is why you should be extremely thorough in your testing pre-cert. This says to me,"we rushed it to cert, botched it and now it's going to be another month or more." That's just bad development. 7 days to die had been out a week, and already have patches through cert and live.

I understand this is your first console release, but this is a total pisstake. Not a good first impression on the console community.

Get to work.
This discussion has been closed.